Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

The hell is that yellow landlocked Venice doing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

AtomikKrab posted:

Probably a tributary for some reason.

Edit: You know what mod I miss? Fitna Fracture. Hasn't been updated for a while, but it was nice to see some more shakeups. Maybe I'll poke around and see what never got updated.

Edit 2: Apparently it never updated because it didn't need to. I'm embarrassed, yet ecstatic.

catlord fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 25, 2018

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Looks like a real good mod, too. Makes pretty simple sense.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

AtomikKrab posted:

No idea. The real Venice has a long snakey territory through Croatia to Belgrade, which I just helped my vassal king liberate.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
The Black Sea is a Byzantine Lake and we're knocking on the gates of Jerusalem. Most importantly I've cleaned up all the border gore.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I see that uh... spain went back to catholic?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I just got hit by a second Jihad for Arabia less than a month after winning the first one. What gives, I thought there was a CD on Great Holy Wars?

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Jedit posted:

I just got hit by a second Jihad for Arabia less than a month after winning the first one. What gives, I thought there was a CD on Great Holy Wars?

There is, but it sounds like those are from two different sects' caliphs (which have separate timers).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

No Pants posted:

There is, but it sounds like those are from two different sects' caliphs (which have separate timers).

Well, that's their bad luck because the Shi'ites got mangled for virtually no losses to my troops and the only nation with an army bigger than mine is Germania (who are basically HRE+ without the Karlings).

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

AtomikKrab posted:

I think i forgot to disable secret societies when I started since it's been a good year since I played and I forgot how wacky things could get with crazy religious conversions.

Or maybe their was a fluke inheritance or a religous uprising actually succeeded. I did notice there was a big civil war there a while back, but I didn't investigate it.

I will look into the matter and see if I can figure out what happened tonight.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

uuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

Sure, boss. I'll get right on it.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Hi there, secret Shia British Emperor buddy.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I'm confused as to how succession works now. Same game as before, my aunt was queen of Italy and I had a strong claim. I checked and saw I was 3rd in line for the throne after her two sons. I stabbed her eldest, then hit her with tainted touch and she died shortly after so her younger son inherited. And now suddenly I'm not on the line of succession at all. Instead it's my other aunts and cousins all down the line with myself nowhere to be seen on the list. What the gently caress happened?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Xinder posted:

I'm confused as to how succession works now. Same game as before, my aunt was queen of Italy and I had a strong claim. I checked and saw I was 3rd in line for the throne after her two sons. I stabbed her eldest, then hit her with tainted touch and she died shortly after so her younger son inherited. And now suddenly I'm not on the line of succession at all. Instead it's my other aunts and cousins all down the line with myself nowhere to be seen on the list. What the gently caress happened?

I think it goes to the father's side of the family when deciding an heir instead of the mother's side, regardless of who was ruler.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

AtomikKrab posted:

Okay, I checked it out. The king is Jewish! :wow:

His Andulsian Sunni grandfather took over the country.

The wife that gave birth to his heir was a Visigothic Catholic.

The heir was a Sephardic Jew. So, since his mother was named the "unfaithful", I guess this kid maybe slipped by unnoticed? And then got tutored by his real dad or something?

Or maybe joining a secret society can change your ethnicity along with religion? Somehow he and his son have been able to hold onto power despite ruling only sunni and catholic counties.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Whenever there's a wacky switch like that it's almost always because the AI set the kid to Faith or Heritage focus and had them educated by a random courtier with a different religion/culture. Happens fairly often.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Xinder posted:

What was the succession law?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

Okay, I checked it out. The king is Jewish! :wow:

His Andulsian Sunni grandfather took over the country.

The wife that gave birth to his heir was a Visigothic Catholic.

The heir was a Sephardic Jew. So, since his mother was named the "unfaithful", I guess this kid maybe slipped by unnoticed? And then got tutored by his real dad or something?

Or maybe joining a secret society can change your ethnicity along with religion? Somehow he and his son have been able to hold onto power despite ruling only sunni and catholic counties.

In either my current game or my last game, the Holy Roman Emperor was an openly practicing Jew.

Meanwhile, I keep finding secret Tengri in my court when I'm fairly sure there aren't any not secret Tengri left in the world.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Main Paineframe posted:

What was the succession law?

Absolute Cognatic Gavelkind

I know turning gender equality on makes succession weird in all of Europe, but I was pretty sure that was just because the AI doesn't know how to deal with it. I didn't think it would randomly cut me out of line of succession when I should be next in line.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Xinder posted:

I know turning gender equality on makes succession weird in all of Europe, but I was pretty sure that was just because the AI doesn't know how to deal with it. I didn't think it would randomly cut me out of line of succession when I should be next in line.

Just because you're second in line before the succession doesn't necessarily mean you'll be next in line after. Should have killed the son first, probably. I'm guessing that you're not as close a relative to the son as you are to the mother, so you've fallen way down the line of succession. Especially if you're male and playing on Absolute Cognatic. Just a guess, though.

You should still have that strong claim, at least.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Xinder posted:

So it looks like it goes in this order when determining the heir:

1. Check for any children
2. If there are no children, find the heir of the person in question's father

You are the heir of the current king's mother, making you irrelevant in the current line succession.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Welp. Wish I knew that before.

I guess stabbing my way back to the throne is no longer an option. I guess I gotta start bribing my fellow dukes to like me enough that I can win a war for the throne.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Crusader Kings II: Welp. Wish I knew that before.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

And that's why only a fool or a madman plays ironman!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

AnoHito posted:

Nah, reloading and playing the same parts again is boring. It's more interesting to try to overcome the new challenging situations.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

AnoHito posted:

mp, which is just as bad for this kind of thing. unless you want to help me convince my friend to undo all the lucky poo poo that happened for her.

also why it's been weeks and i'm still on the same character.

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

Weird question, but how bad is leprosy?

Context: Im about 40 years into a 769 Ireland start. My ruler is pretty awesome, and has just finished wrangling enough territory to be able to make the Kingdom of Ireland. His wife is, through a series of unfortunate family accidents, ruler of both Mallorca and Menorca, and our heir is likely to reign over all of Ireland and a couple of pleasantly warm Mediterranean islands.

Only problem is that so far, we have had 3 female children. Now considering that she is lustful, and I also have some fertility bonuses, this doesnt seem like a bad state of affairs - we are both 30, which gives me at least a solid chance of a single male heir to take everything (succession is Agnatic-Cognatic Gavelkind on everything). However, I have just contracted leprosy.

How screwed am I? Is it curable? -95% fertility chance makes it seem like there is basically no chance of producing a winner-takes-all heir as things stand, and I imagine my lifespan is not looking super-long now either. If possible I'd rather avoid splitting everything I have between three underage daughters.

Alternatively, if theres no hope on the leprosy front, what precisely do I need to fast-track primogeniture? I think I am one rule change away from Absolute Tribal Organization (I have the upgraded Stone Hillfort in my capital already), and I can probably pay my council to pass it, but if I need to get Legalism 3 then I will be waiting a LONG time.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Leprosy is bad enough that I encourage you to go satanic in an attempt to cure it

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Is it possible to have vassal empires, or am I stuck with just kingdoms?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Crow Jane posted:

Is it possible to have vassal empires, or am I stuck with just kingdoms?

How can you have an empire below and subject to you? No, you can't have anybody higher than a mega-king as your vassal.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Crusader Kings II: Weird question, but how bad is leprosy?

Real answer: Base fertility is 50% per character, if the combined fertility between yourself and your spouse is above 0% you can still concieve

Various Meat Products fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 26, 2018

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
You could piss off your wife, get cuckolded intentionally and declare any male children your heirs? Leprosy sucks.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Myssu posted:

Weird question, but how bad is leprosy?

Context: Im about 40 years into a 769 Ireland start. My ruler is pretty awesome, and has just finished wrangling enough territory to be able to make the Kingdom of Ireland. His wife is, through a series of unfortunate family accidents, ruler of both Mallorca and Menorca, and our heir is likely to reign over all of Ireland and a couple of pleasantly warm Mediterranean islands.

Only problem is that so far, we have had 3 female children. Now considering that she is lustful, and I also have some fertility bonuses, this doesnt seem like a bad state of affairs - we are both 30, which gives me at least a solid chance of a single male heir to take everything (succession is Agnatic-Cognatic Gavelkind on everything). However, I have just contracted leprosy.

How screwed am I? Is it curable? -95% fertility chance makes it seem like there is basically no chance of producing a winner-takes-all heir as things stand, and I imagine my lifespan is not looking super-long now either. If possible I'd rather avoid splitting everything I have between three underage daughters.

Alternatively, if theres no hope on the leprosy front, what precisely do I need to fast-track primogeniture? I think I am one rule change away from Absolute Tribal Organization (I have the upgraded Stone Hillfort in my capital already), and I can probably pay my council to pass it, but if I need to get Legalism 3 then I will be waiting a LONG time.

Have you taken scholarship yet? you could grab some cultural points that way.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Jerusalem has been reclaimed from the infidel and there was much rejoicing across Christendom. :dance:

The Brotherhood of the Holy Seplucher steps up and vows to make sure that the Holy Land never falls again.

The emperor is such a masterful diplomat that his dog and cat now get along. :neckbeard:

The Empire has now almost completely reclaimed what the game considers its "dejure lands" but we all know that Eastern Roman Empire ruled far more than that. The rest of the Levant, Egypt and Libya beckon.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

February 2nd, 1000 of my new Pirates of the Mediterranean attempt, starting from 867.

Nations, I'm Crete. The Saffarids won a Jihad for Abyssinia. Using the Fitna Fracture mod, things went a little wonky with Hungary, splitting apart and then before anything could be done the other nomadic Magyars stole the main Kingdom of Hungary title and haven't tried reunifying, while Pecsian Hungary has expanded a little, but still doesn't seem confident enough to try taking them on.

Religions. Of note, Germanic reformed, then got the poo poo kicked out of them anyways. That bit of Orthodox up in Poland is the Brotherhood of the Holy Sepulchre. The Byzantines did well enough at the beginning to form them, and then couldn't hold their territory.

Cultures. For a moment Ireland and England switched cultures, but now they're both run by Anglo-Saxons. France has Ireland as a tributary.

catlord fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 27, 2018

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

How'd you get those pictures? Is it a mod or some feature hidden in the UI?

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

An update on the leprosy situation: after doing everything possible to increase fertility I successfully sired a male heir and, job done, promptly died later that month. The child lasted a whole two years before being murdered in his crib.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Grand Prize Winner, it's in the UI somewhere Fsomething or other will take those screenshots.

Update for my game. The Pope has called a crusade upon Hispania from the papacy in... Calais? Somewhere around there anyways. No idea how that happened, Rome is ruled by an independent Catholic bishop. I guess they must have fell to the North Africans while I wasn't looking early on and then got liberated by the Italians?

Anyhow, since last I posted I've liberated Ascalon and Corsica from the infidels and conquered Istiria for my Croatian vassal. My Bulgarian vassal conquered a Hungarian border county. I also gave the Brotherhood a donation and a castle in Jerusalem, and vassalized them. They were a big help in the conquest of Corsica.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Grand Prize Winner posted:

How'd you get those pictures? Is it a mod or some feature hidden in the UI?

F10 will take a picture of your map mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Kennel posted:

Nah, reloading and playing the same parts again is boring. It's more interesting to try to overcome the new challenging situations.

loving up and having to spend a generation or two repairing the damage is part of the game

I can't imagine reloading after every time i gently caress up I would have missed out on so many interesting things

• Locked thread