Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure I know the definition of a Millenial.

It's "did you use Windows:ME before you turned 18" :colbert:

e: vvv https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktPvjr1tiKk

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Galaxy Brain posted:

I have been looking for this for years! Although I admit my math studies never got far enough for me to really understand what Lockhart means. What's the math that's music and not just scales?

Nim is a fun example.

Last week me and a few coworkers deconstructed a game for fun after hours.

Imagine a tic tac toe board.

Players take turn placing only X.

The first person to make 3 in a row loses.

What's the optimal strategy? If you go first and play perfectly can you guarantee a win?

Galaxy Brain
Dec 13, 2017

by Lowtax

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Nim is a fun example.

Last week me and a few coworkers deconstructed a game for fun after hours.

Imagine a tic tac toe board.

Players take turn placing only X.

The first person to make 3 in a row loses.

What's the optimal strategy? If you go first and play perfectly can you guarantee a win?

Neat! That touches on one of the most interesting things I learned in college, in a class outside my major as it would happen, that some games are "solved" and some very simple-looking ones aren't. I'm sure you already knew that, but I guess that's as close as I ever got to just "playing" math.

ghengilhar
Mar 21, 2013

Pomplamoose posted:

Hot take! Coming through!

Do conservatives think all generations younger than them are millennials? Most millennials are in the workforce they are thinking of generation Z, who are mainly still at school.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/frankenskank/status/967185779431825408

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hell old friend...

:nallears:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Real weird of Mao to take away everyone's guns when he was in the middle of a civil war and also not in control of China.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

1stGear posted:

Real weird of Mao to take away everyone's guns when he was in the middle of a civil war and also not in control of China.

i honestly don't know chiang's gun control policies, which is embarrassing because he's one of my favorite lovely awful modern dictators

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Mo_Steel posted:

Hell old friend...

:nallears:

I'm not sure if I should be surprised or not that I haven't seen the Hitler non-quote about gun control being awesome.
On one hand, it's a classic "poo poo that he never said.", But on the other hand, too many right wingers openly like Hitler now, so I guess they don't want to tarnish his good name by linking him to gun control.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Galaxy Brain posted:

Neat! That touches on one of the most interesting things I learned in college, in a class outside my major as it would happen, that some games are "solved" and some very simple-looking ones aren't. I'm sure you already knew that, but I guess that's as close as I ever got to just "playing" math.

Here's another problem I think is fun. It's pancake math!
http://datagenetics.com/blog/february42018/index.html

Galaxy Brain
Dec 13, 2017

by Lowtax

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Here's another problem I think is fun. It's pancake math!
http://datagenetics.com/blog/february42018/index.html

That was a fascinating read with a lot of terms I had to google, thank you!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

the_steve posted:

I'm not sure if I should be surprised or not that I haven't seen the Hitler non-quote about gun control being awesome.
On one hand, it's a classic "poo poo that he never said.", But on the other hand, too many right wingers openly like Hitler now, so I guess they don't want to tarnish his good name by linking him to gun control.

It's an argument that's so pervasive, a professor of law actually sat down and published a full scientific paper debunking it: https://chicagounbound.uchicago.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2460&context=journal_articles

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Perestroika posted:

It's an argument that's so pervasive, a professor of law actually sat down and published a full scientific paper debunking it: https://chicagounbound.uchicago.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2460&context=journal_articles

pro-click. This is a good paper.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Perestroika posted:

I feel like the problem is while Nazi Germany loosened restrictions on gun ownership for aryan Germans, Jews did get them restricted so it feeds into their persecution complex that straight white christians are the new persecuted minority.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Geometry in particular sticks out in my mind for pretty much the same things that article is talking about. We had to do lots and lots of proofs and by "do" I mean memorize. There was zero requirement to actually understand what you were writing; on test day you were required only to write the proof as it was presented in class exactly the way it was presented. There was no reasoning it out yourself allowed; just memorize it and puke it back on the paper. It was possible to get a good grade in the class with zero understanding of geometry if you memorized the right stuff. No need to know what any of it means; just repeat back what the teacher said! Which of course does you no good whatsoever in the real world if you end up needing to actually use it.

This is so interesting to me- and I'm not minimizing your experience- because geometry was the only HS math class that I loved, and did well at. What I liked was that it was basically a logic class in which we worked our way through proofs from simple to increasingly complex. In retrospect, it was a super old-school (as in Euclid) approach. I don't think I've ever used what I learned in the "real world", but it absolutely changed my way of thinking; i.e., what you want a HS math class to do.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Zombie Dachshund posted:

This is so interesting to me- and I'm not minimizing your experience- because geometry was the only HS math class that I loved, and did well at. What I liked was that it was basically a logic class in which we worked our way through proofs from simple to increasingly complex. In retrospect, it was a super old-school (as in Euclid) approach. I don't think I've ever used what I learned in the "real world", but it absolutely changed my way of thinking; i.e., what you want a HS math class to do.

See, if it was actually taught in a way that encouraged you to reason things out or try to come up with a proof method on your own it would do that.

The way it was done when I took was the teacher gave us the proofs and we had to memorize them. We had to write exactly what she gave us on test day; no missing steps, no deviation. It didn't matter at all if you actually understood what you were writing or why the steps were what they were.

I realize how much of a horrible disservice it was as education because it made me despise math. I had that teacher more than once and just wanted to get through the classes. She tried to get me to take more math but I didn't. Now I think math is awesome; I was a math minor in college and have kept my studying up. I think back to before that class and realize that I actually did find math interesting. Geometry was the turning point because of bad teaching.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

:dawkins101:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

This is like half of my Facebook feed right now. I miss when you had to have an .edu email address to be on it.

eternal_scream.jpg

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

I'm going to assume "Homes without discipline" means "Homes without spanking physical abuse." Correct?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Lmao the kid was in the rotc ffs.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Lmao the kid was in the rotc ffs.

I don't know about his experience but I was in JROTC in high school and it was practically right wing indoctrination. And I bought into it fully. Took a long time to unfuck myself from that garbage.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Weird, Sweden doesn't have any prayer in schools and is one of the least religious countries in the world, and I don't think they've even had a mass shooting. They must beat their kids a lot.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Ashcans posted:

Weird, Sweden doesn't have any prayer in schools and is one of the least religious countries in the world, and I don't think they've even had a mass shooting. They must beat their kids a lot.

Pretty sure all those Muslim immigrants are too busy raping Swedes into compliance.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

ratbert90 posted:

I'm going to assume "Homes without discipline" means "Homes without spanking physical abuse." Correct?

It's that and/or "all those harlots having children out of wedlock".

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Women holding occupations!? And wearing men's trousers!? The scandal! :monocle:
What heathens their children must have become!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

DrNutt posted:

This is like half of my Facebook feed right now. I miss when you had to have an .edu email address to be on it.

They really should go back to that model, and when a Bible U tries to undermine it, they should do what that stupid not GameFAQs messageboard site did and require an ISP email address.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

PhazonLink posted:

They really should go back to that model, and when a Bible U tries to undermine it, they should do what that stupid not GameFAQs messageboard site did and require an ISP email address.

You've not been on a college campus in a while, then. Left, right, apathetic, people are stupid regardless of educational level. If I may be so bold, moreso in a lot of 4-year+ higher education places since getting to college requires some privilege of time, money, attention, or all three, and hence blissful ignorance of the cruelty of poverty and situation.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Ugh I got the "god not allowed in schools that's why these kids got shot" Facebook image.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Found this on reddit; it reads like a copy-paste from something:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

jivjov posted:

Found this on reddit; it reads like a copy-paste from something:

Good point though, mixed-race neighborhoods do create a lot of tension. For instance, anywhere white people live near non-whites, they feel compelled to stock guns and threaten their neighbors with implicit violence!

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Let’s take away the child killers guns after he kills children. Makes sense.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

DrNutt posted:

I don't know about his experience but I was in JROTC in high school and it was practically right wing indoctrination. And I bought into it fully. Took a long time to unfuck myself from that garbage.

With the exception of it being generally pro-military built in, mine was pretty liberal and mostly focused on making sure all the kids had direction going out of HS and the means to accomplish it. And even when it came to the pro-military stuff, the teachers actively talked out of military enlistment unless for good reasons. I thought that was normal though I guess it comes down to how the individual head teacher runs things.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dameius posted:

With the exception of it being generally pro-military built in, mine was pretty liberal and mostly focused on making sure all the kids had direction going out of HS and the means to accomplish it. And even when it came to the pro-military stuff, the teachers actively talked out of military enlistment unless for good reasons. I thought that was normal though I guess it comes down to how the individual head teacher runs things.

It's this. My senior year a much more reasonable level headed dude ended up taking over the program but by then the damage had been done.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Our JROTC was full of all the gently caress ups who got sent there to 'straighten them out' which instead just created this critical mass of gently caress ups that were even more annoying to deal with for the teachers there.

Which, from what I read in GiP, is not unlike the actual military :downs:

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Shadin posted:

To be fair, barring them from public spaces(such as not allowing their children to attend school) is how we mandate vaccinations. The problem is that they're starting to fight for their rights to circumvent that because "muh freedoms".

Solution: Dig a huge pit, Build Teh Wall (tm) around it, then toss in the antivaxxers and their kids. Every so often toss in a chicken or a goat; let the rest of civilized society forget they exist.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
My jrotc was were the slackers ends up because first sergeant did not give a poo poo. We mostly sat around playing magic and loving around outside doing "drill practice". At least that was how it was till I dropped out tenth grade.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Galaxy Brain posted:

I have been looking for this for years! Although I admit my math studies never got far enough for me to really understand what Lockhart means. What's the math that's music and not just scales?

Pattern recognition, mainly. I’d define math as finding patterns in things you see and then proving they extend to things you can’t see. Kids like finding patterns, but proving that they hold is a new step. It’s possible to get that by middle school age if it’s taught at an age appropriate level.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Who's that in the image? Please say it's some villain from a movie.

3 billion? Really?

The alt right kek brigade are pre-emptively making GBS threads all over Oprah now because their own side started spreading the rumour that she was running for president. Despite the fact that she denied it and that the Democrats would never accept her on a dem ticket.

I fully support this. Considering that treason is so hard to convict for in US court that no one has been convicted for it in 65 years. They should gather up all the crap the Clintons every were accused of and make it one big treason trial. After they are found "Not guilty" it can all be dropped because justice has spoken.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Katt posted:

Who's that in the image? Please say it's some villain from a movie.

kurt russell playing wyatt earp in the film tombstone. he's the archetype of the noble lawman who shows up in town to set things straight but, uh, tombstone the film was a bit notable as a neowestern which isn't strictly black hat / white hat

earp himself, like much of american mythology about the old west and the figures in it, was a complex figure and not nearly the Good Guy he was portrayed as (though he wasn't a criminal or bad guy either)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2YVyLLKRHw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Katt posted:

3 billion? Really?
Not really; it wasn't a cut, it was just a transfer of funds within the VA from one program to another.