Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

fletcher posted:

Well it was fun while it lasted, but the streak is over

how the gently caress did you get 0 kills and go less than a kilometer and still get second

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

You will get double headshot by any competent enemy before you can even stand up.

What does that have to do with what I said? Circles ending in tall grass is an unfortunate fact of the game, you're (fairly) safe to prone in a bush if you want to, if you try to stand up while behind cover that barely keeps you safe prone then you're the incompetent one, and the healing one is just so that nobody has an angle on you through a window.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Hellsau posted:

how the gently caress did you get 0 kills and go less than a kilometer and still get second

I died early game and my squad went on to get second

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

fletcher posted:

Oh that's easy then, just blame your loss on your teammates. It's clearly their fault that your winning streak ended.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What does that have to do with what I said? Circles ending in tall grass is an unfortunate fact of the game, you're (fairly) safe to prone in a bush if you want to, if you try to stand up while behind cover that barely keeps you safe prone then you're the incompetent one, and the healing one is just so that nobody has an angle on you through a window.

I guess I’m incompetent.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

fletcher posted:

Well it was fun while it lasted, but the streak is over

looks like the distance traveled is the key here :thunk:

fletcher posted:

aww

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.
Are goons squading up to play?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTdfdC4eaHY

When the physics of the game helps you get that dinner

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Jerkface posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTdfdC4eaHY

When the physics of the game helps you get that dinner

On the one hand, that nade should have done absolutely nothing to that Bandites guy. On the other hand, it was a goddamn 2v1, what are those jackasses doing? They can just push you directly or circle clockwise safely and either way win easily. They deserve to get owned by that nade.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Fantastipotamus posted:

This was a new one.

That middle island is my goto landing spot. Though sometimes it backfires as a boat doesn't spawn and then life is terrible in every way.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

VulgarandStupid posted:

It looks like PUBG followed the RGB trend. What would you say makes it any better?

has hotkeys for sights.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

mrlego posted:

Who won?
Not me. Was late getting into that white circle but got a bit lucky on the next one, healed up and killed one, but thought I was behind cover and wasn’t. I was 4th or 3rd I think.

Shannow posted:

That middle island is my goto landing spot. Though sometimes it backfires as a boat doesn't spawn and then life is terrible in every way.
Yeah, I’ve seen a few people mention it that the gear is generally good. Wasn’t the general consensus to land on the mainland and find a boat to take there instead of vice versa? I’m reasonably sure that if I dropped there, there would be a) no boat and b) a westerly circle.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

First game of the day (the 5th of 8 total) starts in about 25 minutes https://www.twitch.tv/esl_pubg

Standings are:
https://twitter.com/ESLPUBG/status/967464903597584386

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i can't stop laughing at this analysis.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Is shroud really subbing in today?? :aaaaa:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

why does every goddamn "esport" have an hour between or before games. just start the game already.

edit: this is dumb them spectating 3rd person.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 25, 2018

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

New Zealand can eat me posted:

First game of the day (the 5th of 8 total) starts in about 25 minutes https://www.twitch.tv/esl_pubg

My god this game must be horrible to try and produce a broadcast for. The first half of the game is completely uninteresting since the teams don't drop together, and the fighting is impossible to follow until there are only 4-5 teams left. The video producers managed several times to switch to a player that just got a kill, and we got to watch them loot a box, while a frantic firefight broke out on the other side of the map, off-screen. I'm still convinced this will never be a popular e-sport and PUBG will eventually die because of this misguided ambition from Bluehole.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I'm still convinced this will never be a popular e-sport and PUBG will eventually die because of this misguided ambition from Bluehole.

People are going to stream high-level, competitive play of the game as long as it's one of the most popular games on Steam and it's not really a smart idea to completely ignore that segment of the population. It's also a really really long way from dying off:

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Standings after the last game:
https://twitter.com/ESLPUBG/status/967774935589556224

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

My god this game must be horrible to try and produce a broadcast for. The first half of the game is completely uninteresting since the teams don't drop together, and the fighting is impossible to follow until there are only 4-5 teams left. The video producers managed several times to switch to a player that just got a kill, and we got to watch them loot a box, while a frantic firefight broke out on the other side of the map, off-screen. I'm still convinced this will never be a popular e-sport and PUBG will eventually die because of this misguided ambition from Bluehole.

This is a bad take. The positional choices are quite interesting and I suspect you don't play at a high enough level to understand the thought process behind their choices or appreciate the #GameSense.

A kill being worth "only" 10 points in relation to survival is really interesting. A good example last match was FaZe, with all 4 left, knew Method_Andy, who was alone on the other side of the rock, had no good angle on them. They chose to leave him there because engaging him and giving up their position / diverting their attention wasn't worth it. He ended up being a buffer between them and AVENGAR, and eventually jumped them for 2 slick headshots, then blew up their UAZ which was what they were relying on to move when the circle popped. Andy hiding like that was a massive play, he gained several hundred points for Method and hamstrung AVENGAR out of at least 200 survival points.

From a casting perspective, the storytelling behind what Andy did is far more interesting than a bunch of ADHD rapid-fire cuts between every gunbattle. Especially early game, when stumbling into such a battle is a result of poor choices. You know who else likes to skip the meat of the story and only watch the fights? Donald Trump

E: I would like to try a system that weighted survival by the number of squad mates left, and perhaps some sort of streak bonus for 5+ kills as that seems to be especially exceptional at this level.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

I guess I’m incompetent.

You could always come to the light of FPP, that might help.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I'm still convinced this will never be a popular e-sport and PUBG will eventually die because of this misguided ambition from Bluehole.

the first part is definitely true not sure about the latter.

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd
Thought about picking this up but hesitated when I saw the reviews on Steam. Apparently there's a huge problem with cheating and/or high ping players? Or is this being sensationalized?

I'm sure this topic is beaten to death already but its not covered in the OP :)

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

This is a bad take. The positional choices are quite interesting and I suspect you don't play at a high enough level to understand the thought process behind their choices or appreciate the #GameSense.

A kill being worth "only" 10 points in relation to survival is really interesting. A good example last match was FaZe, with all 4 left, knew Method_Andy, who was alone on the other side of the rock, had no good angle on them. They chose to leave him there because engaging him and giving up their position / diverting their attention wasn't worth it. He ended up being a buffer between them and AVENGAR, and eventually jumped them for 2 slick headshots, then blew up their UAZ which was what they were relying on to move when the circle popped. Andy hiding like that was a massive play, he gained several hundred points for Method and hamstrung AVENGAR out of at least 200 survival points.

From a casting perspective, the storytelling behind what Andy did is far more interesting than a bunch of ADHD rapid-fire cuts between every gunbattle. Especially early game, when stumbling into such a battle is a result of poor choices. You know who else likes to skip the meat of the story and only watch the fights? Donald Trump

E: I would like to try a system that weighted survival by the number of squad mates left, and perhaps some sort of streak bonus for 5+ kills as that seems to be especially exceptional at this level.
Is this satire?

Sorry dude, I guess not all of us appreciate the genius of sitting behind a rock for 5 mins.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Severed posted:

Thought about picking this up but hesitated when I saw the reviews on Steam. Apparently there's a huge problem with cheating and/or high ping players? Or is this being sensationalized?

i only play fpp (tpp is awful) and have never seen a hacker but they do appear sometimes. they're far far more numerous in tpp.

the worst part about this cast is them calling the pizza gun "disco plate".

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 25, 2018

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Severed posted:

There's currently 2.5 million people playing the game on Steam. It's very popular and you'd have fun playing it, and as a new player it's unlikely you'd run into a lot of what people complain about.

Basically: because it's so popular it's a pretty big target for hackers, and because its popularity wasn't really forseen by the devs the game didn't really have much protection built into it from the ground up to hold the cheats back. There's constant work being done to try to fix things (there were a million bans in January), though, so things are improving. They're even pushing out their implementation of ping locking within the week which should help curb a lot of it.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Sparticle posted:

Is this satire?

Sorry dude, I guess not all of us appreciate the genius of sitting behind a rock for 5 mins.

Enjoy your <1700 rating and sub 2.0 KD :rolleyes: There's nothing wrong with being a casual, I'm sure you still have fun. These dudes are playing for money, though

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

You could always come to the light of FPP, that might help.

Hi, hello.

https://pubgtracker.com/profile/pc/WEEDBABYGOKU420/squad-fpp?region=agg

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Enjoy your <1700 rating and sub 2.0 KD :rolleyes: There's nothing wrong with being a casual, I'm sure you still have fun. These dudes are playing for money, though

Still not sure if this is satire or not. I like the character though. Dude who furiously defends the legitimacy of pubg esports and ties opinion-value to k/d. Good stuff.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

My god this game must be horrible to try and produce a broadcast for. The first half of the game is completely uninteresting since the teams don't drop together, and the fighting is impossible to follow until there are only 4-5 teams left. The video producers managed several times to switch to a player that just got a kill, and we got to watch them loot a box, while a frantic firefight broke out on the other side of the map, off-screen.

Hedgehog is correct, as far as actual action, the game is very slow until about the 3rd-4th circle and the camera needs a lot of work as many times it has been on the wrong player. This game is a great candidate for being on a 1-2 minute delay to allow for making sure the camera is always on the correct perspective / split screen.

About it never being a serious e-sport, that is probably correct, but more on the game still being very rough and having a lot of glitches.

Or does my sub 2.0 KDR invalidate my opinion?

:thunk:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
When you look at a scope in TPP, does it just zoom in over the shoulder, or does it go into FPP for just that moment?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

OxySnake posted:

Or does my sub 2.0 KDR invalidate my opinion?

:thunk:

Yes.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I really hope the Optic runback happens. That last match was crazy.

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Truly the corgiest of goodposts

I enjoy the super serious esport tournaments for this game.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

OxySnake posted:

This game is a great candidate for being on a 1-2 minute delay to allow for making sure the camera is always on the correct perspective / split screen.

You're right, but in this case, it is a live tournament with a crowd watching the action on the big screen, listening to the commentary. The players have those massive headsets only to block the sound - they are using in ear buds for actual sound.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

You're right, but in this case, it is a live tournament with a crowd watching the action on the big screen, listening to the commentary. The players have those massive headsets only to block the sound - they are using in ear buds for actual sound.

There was a crowd? I never heard them cheer once.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Who's account is this?

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

NtotheTC posted:

Who's account is this?

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not but if not, it's his account

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
I'm thinking casting delays won't be as bad for this game's early moments as something like dota. I'd say you either delay and compensate retrospectively or you have enough caster talent to cover two of the expected winners and one floating cam for underdogs and fights worth the main focus.

Seems like you'd want to have some guys trying to construct narratives while off camera and produce replays to deploy while other parts of the game are dead.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 25, 2018

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not but if not, it's his account

It wasn't sarcasm.. I'm just surprised that it's his account as I've seen him telling other people how to play and his only games are like 3 squad games per season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

If I want to drop somewhere super spicy like school or Hacienda, I have to be slightly outside of it and hope to come in for the scraps because my computer is poo poo and will take anywhere from 5 to 30 seconds after landing to be able to do anything :(