Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
This is definitely a broad range of Southeast Asia, but does anyone have any recommendations for any good histories (or even nonfiction) on Indonesia, Myanmar or Malaysia? I've gotten a hold of a copy of The River of Lost Footsteps: Histories of Burma by Thant Myint-U, which I plan on starting soon, and I've already found and read Indonesia, Etc., but besides coming across those I've come up short looking for good potential reads.

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
I just finished The Future Is History and while I'm not sure it qualifies as history in the common sense of the word, I found it to be a really good look at Russia from the late 80's to current times. Basically it tracks the lives of several individuals in Russia whom the author knows as the USSR collapses and Russia goes from an aborted attempt at democracy and free markets to what we see today. As someone who knew very little of this period it has made me want to dig deeper.

oompah
Apr 17, 2013
Anyone have a recommendation for an especially good book on the Siege of Leningrad?

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Looking for a good book on the Mexican-American War.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

oompah posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for an especially good book on the Siege of Leningrad?

The 900 Days is excellent. I read it in college and have been meaning to reread it.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Any recommendations on Edward VIII, or the Abdication Crisis?

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Alec Eiffel posted:

Looking for a good book on the Mexican-American War.

A Wicked War by Amy Greenberg is a good one.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Any recommendations on Edward VIII, or the Abdication Crisis?

Philip Zeigler's King Edward VIII.

By far the best book I've come across on Edward VIII. It doesn't entirely flesh out the family, but Zeigler is more evenhanded than anyone else in handling of Edward's magnetism against his propensity to be a shallow rear end.

Rupert Godfrey's Letters from a Prince is interesting on the young Edward, drawing from letters he and Freda Dudley Ward wrote to one another.

Edward's own "autobiography," A King's Story is severely lacking in details from the excerpts I've read. It was published in installments in several newspapers.

All the histories I've skimmed of Wallis Simpson are garbage.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Is "The Republic For Which It Stands" comparable to "Reconstruction" by Foner? If so, which is recommended? Is the abridged version of Foner acceptable?

Also thanks Fighting Trousers for the book rec!

Alec Eiffel fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 6, 2018

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
Curious about conflicts between Russia and Finland. Specifically just before and during WWII.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Alec Eiffel posted:

Is "The Republic For Which It Stands" comparable to "Reconstruction" by Foner? If so, which is recommended? Is the abridged version of Foner acceptable?

Also thanks Fighting Trousers for the book rec!

"The Republic For Which It Stands" covers Reconstruction, but only as part of a larger overview of the period. So it's also talking about Indian Wars, western expansion, Gilded Age politics, industrialization, etc all the way to 1896. Foner deals much more specifically with Southern Reconstruction. They're both recommended, honestly, it just depends on what you want to focus on.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Foner just reviewed it as well as the new Grant bio in the latest TLS, worth a look. I have them both, but working through What Hath God Wrought first (covering 1812 to 1848).

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

PatMarshall posted:

What Hath God Wrought first (covering 1812 to 1848).

I enjoyed that one a great deal. I also like “This Vast Southern Empire” covering around the same period.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Ron Jeremy posted:

I enjoyed that one a great deal. I also like “This Vast Southern Empire” covering around the same period.

Thirded, that was a great book. Been working through the entire series and just picked up The Republic For Which It Stands, which finally came out. Looking forward to a wider view over the Reconstruction Era than the very good but laser-focused Foner book had. And the Gilded Age stuff beyond that era. If it's as good as What Hath God Wrought, I'm in for a treat.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Though it's not a part of the Oxford American History series, another really good book for the antebellum through Reconstruction era is Brenda Wineapple's Ecstatic Nation.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Any suggestions for material on the Rurik Dynasty / pre-Romanov Russia? Maybe I'm just not using the right search terms but I'm having a hell of a time finding anything at all, at least on Amazon.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Beef Hardcheese posted:

Any suggestions for material on the Rurik Dynasty / pre-Romanov Russia? Maybe I'm just not using the right search terms but I'm having a hell of a time finding anything at all, at least on Amazon.

I'm quite fond of Valeria Kivelson's Cartographies of Tsardom which is a beautiful book about maps and land in Muscovite Russia, though maybe more academic than you want.

Isabel de Madariaga's book on Ivan the Terrible is also quite good, though I haven't read the whole thing so your experience may vary based on how much you like reading about tsars murdering people.

FingersMaloy
Dec 23, 2004

Fuck! That's Delicious.

Beef Hardcheese posted:

“Kievan Rus” kicks back a few decent looking results for me.

Just read the Primary Chronicle. Angels had a lot to do with things back then.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Recommend me your favorite books on Roman history, friends?

Classics and moderns ok. I read The Twelve Caesars last year and loved it, though perhaps it's more gossip than actual history?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
not SPQR

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Is SPQR bad? I had a copy of the ebook I was thinking about reading after I finish what I’m currently on.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's one of the better broad overview books I've read in a while and would be my first recommendation for that type of text. There was a bunch in there I'd never read about before and Mary Beard is an engaging author.

E: Tacitus is the most fun of the Roman historians imo, he's a cynical rear end and doesn't like the Roman Empire much.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Feb 13, 2018

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
I don't t think it's very good as a broad overview if you're not already fairly well versed in the subject matter. She floats around chronologically and spends a lot of the book carrying out arguments with unnamed other scholars

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

my bony fealty posted:

Recommend me your favorite books on Roman history, friends?

Classics and moderns ok. I read The Twelve Caesars last year and loved it, though perhaps it's more gossip than actual history?

Caesar and Christ by Will Durant

Anything by Adrian Goldsworthy, but especially his Julius Caesar biography and In the Name of Rome

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom
I really love the Landmark Julius Caesar

It has really really great maps and annotations that really help bring context to Caesar's writings.

Are you looking for a broad overview of Roman history or is there a particular time / subject you want to delve in to?

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Are there any decent single-volume histories of the Vietnam War that aren't very militarily nitty-gritty? I struggled with Keegan's history of WWI because it got very into military strategy, and I'm more interested in social experiences. Is Fire in the Lake still the classic, or is there a better and more current book out there?

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

Pinball posted:

Are there any decent single-volume histories of the Vietnam War that aren't very militarily nitty-gritty? I struggled with Keegan's history of WWI because it got very into military strategy, and I'm more interested in social experiences. Is Fire in the Lake still the classic, or is there a better and more current book out there?

William S. Turley's The Second Indochina War was the textbook I used in college, and I recommend it a good overview of the war in a single short volume. Fire in the Lake is a classic, but I remember it feeling very orientalist and dated. Sure it won a bunch of awards, but it also came out before Saigon fell. If you're looking for a single volume about the American experience of the war, I really like A Bright and Shining, which wraps a study of the failure of the military effort in the personal tragedy of Army officer and later USAID adviser Lt. Col. John Paul Vann. If you're looking for a close academic study of the basic dilemmas of the war, War Comes to Long An focuses on one province, and how the government of South Vietnam utterly failed in the key elements of political legitimacy, personal security, and rural land reform. It's a 70s sociology dissertation, so it's not exactly a gripping read, but it gets to the core of the war more accurately than anything that involves arrows on a map or what Henry Kissinger was thinking on Tuesday. For a sense of the whole zeitgeist of the war, Michael Herr's Dispatches is the best of the Vietnam War related new journalism. And if you want a communist perspective, Trung Nhu Tang's A Vietcong Memoir is a fascinating look at how the war was "won" and what the price was.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I continue to swear by Robert Mann's A Grand Delusion as the ultimate history of the Vietnam War. If you saw the Ken Burns documentary, it's like that, but on steroids. It begins with WWII and traces the history of the Indochina region and how the French and then US became involved. It draws upon contemporary memoranda, diary entries, and declassified military analysis, and at times details developments on a day-by-day basis. It's heavy on the politics, but the war ultimately had very little to do with the military and was primarily about US politics and the policies that emanated from them. Mann's book is an exhaustive distillation of a myriad of primary sources and as such, I consider the book an amazing achievement of research and analysis.

I didn't get much out of A Bright and Shining Lie and I thought McNamara's book was a waste of time (imho). The Herr book is pretty wild. It's basically Apocalypse Now: The Book, which really isn't much of a hot take since the movie borrows entire scenes from Dispatches.

If you're trying to avoid the nitty-gritty of military battles, do not ready any of Bernard Fall's books.

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 25, 2018

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I recently read Secrets: A Memoir of Vietnam and the Pentagon Papers by Daniel Ellsberg. Ellsberg went to Vietnam for two years and participated in the decision-making process inside Washington for most of the war. Really compelling look at how mistakes get made and compounded, and everyone pays. Has anyone read his recent one, The Doomsday Machine?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Has anyone read his recent one, The Doomsday Machine?

seconding this. i have been tempted to read it.

So i am doing my final term paper on the histography of richard nixon, mostly about his legacy and how it changed because of how the history was taught. so what are some of the landmark books about him. i already have all of the woodward and bernstein books as well as the 2 pearlstein books. i was just wondering what other landmark and academic books their are on nixon.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

seconding this. i have been tempted to read it.

So i am doing my final term paper on the histography of richard nixon, mostly about his legacy and how it changed because of how the history was taught. so what are some of the landmark books about him. i already have all of the woodward and bernstein books as well as the 2 pearlstein books. i was just wondering what other landmark and academic books their are on nixon.

There was a pretty good one-volume biography of Nixon out last year by a guy named Farrell. I enjoyed it; dunno what the scholarly consensus was though.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

HannibalBarca posted:

There was a pretty good one-volume biography of Nixon out last year by a guy named Farrell. I enjoyed it; dunno what the scholarly consensus was though.

yeah thats on my list to pick up, honestly i am not sure how i am gonna pull it off but its to late to switch topics at this point. thanks for the recommend.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Has anyone read The Hundred Years War series by Jonathan Sumption?

update: this series is good as hell, extremely dense, and avoids many purple prose pitfalls history authors can fall into

i left the first book with an unreasonably intricate understanding of the early 1300's in france and england

no other history comes close to this level of detail, the book goes decision by decision for every major player of the era, if there are things that aren't included in this book I highly doubt they exist. The bibliography is 47 pages long.

the book is 600 pages, it's the first in a series of 5, the fourth one just released in 2015 coinciding with the 600th anniversary of agincourt

it is fulfilling in the same way that 'the name of the rose' is fulfilling, you will have to reread sections over and over because of the density of the text. you will have to learn some basic french terminology. you will need a map of france near you at all times if you don't know where gascony or flanders is because of how frequently they're mentioned.

this is the dark souls of historical nonfiction

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
I'm glad you've found joy in a serious history book. Sumption is also a judge on the supreme court, impressive time management on his part.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

update: this series is good as hell, extremely dense, and avoids many purple prose pitfalls history authors can fall into

i left the first book with an unreasonably intricate understanding of the early 1300's in france and england

no other history comes close to this level of detail, the book goes decision by decision for every major player of the era, if there are things that aren't included in this book I highly doubt they exist. The bibliography is 47 pages long.

the book is 600 pages, it's the first in a series of 5, the fourth one just released in 2015 coinciding with the 600th anniversary of agincourt

it is fulfilling in the same way that 'the name of the rose' is fulfilling, you will have to reread sections over and over because of the density of the text. you will have to learn some basic french terminology. you will need a map of france near you at all times if you don't know where gascony or flanders is because of how frequently they're mentioned.

this is the dark souls of historical nonfiction

I feel like this post is going to make me make a commitment I'm going to end up taking more seriously than my marriage vows. Goddamn.

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

What are some good books on the history of the Inuit People and/or other Arctic-dwelling groups?

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I recently read Secrets: A Memoir of Vietnam and the Pentagon Papers by Daniel Ellsberg. Ellsberg went to Vietnam for two years and participated in the decision-making process inside Washington for most of the war. Really compelling look at how mistakes get made and compounded, and everyone pays. Has anyone read his recent one, The Doomsday Machine?

I'm halfway through it, and the first half has been really good. Pretty stunning how bad our nuclear war strategy was in the first two decades after WW2.
It does make me wonder why he waited so long to talk about this. According to him, when he secreted the Pentagon papers out of Rand he also took documents relating to nuclear planning, which he considered more important than those pertaining to Vietnam. But because of reasons I won't "spoil", he no longer has those.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

How is his book any different than The Wizards of Armageddon?

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
No idea, since I've never read it. One of the critiques of the book is that Ellsberg doesn't really say anything new. But for someone like myself who was unfamiliar with this particular topic it is quite enlightening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
My audible credit came in. I need your guys' help!

Recommend me a history book on anything. My only request is that the author and narrator are engaging to the layperson. I dont mind if its long and detailed, in fact, that's desired because I can get through a 20-30 hour behemoth in about a month's time(when I get my next credit) . I'm open to anything as long as its engaging, even the history of silverware and eating utensils.