Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Who sells really good in-shell peanuts and where can I buy them? The Frys Food and Drug Store® I shop at has been pretty subpar but they only carry the generic kroger brand. Would a Trader Joe's or Wholefoods be better? I don't mind buying online either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

FalloutGod posted:

Who sells really good in-shell peanuts and where can I buy them? The Frys Food and Drug Store® I shop at has been pretty subpar but they only carry the generic kroger brand. Would a Trader Joe's or Wholefoods be better? I don't mind buying online either.

Look for a Whole Foods and ask if they have virginia peanuts, AKA God's Nuts

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

FalloutGod posted:

What makes an in-shell peanut any better or worse than any other? I've bought Hampton Farms from a variety of supermarkets and they've always been good.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Peanuts with higher oil content have a stronger peanut taste

Hampton Farms might be using Virginia peanuts, or at least one of their subsidiaries does, according to their website

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Feb 23, 2018

al-azad
May 28, 2009

As a commonwealth hick the only good thing to come out of VA are our nuts. This is the brand I see the most. Nationally I would recommend Hampton farms, they source from Virginia and the Carolinas.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My wife randomly bought 1lb of ground lamb + 1lb ground beef. I have no experience with lamb but my inclination is to make lamb/beef meatloaf because my wife mentioned meatloaf the other day. Solid plan? Treat the lamb just like ground beef?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I mean, that's basically shawarma. You should just make shawarma.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

al-azad posted:

As a commonwealth hick the only good thing to come out of VA are our nuts. This is the brand I see the most. Nationally I would recommend Hampton farms, they source from Virginia and the Carolinas.

Vape A Nut!

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

My wife randomly bought 1lb of ground lamb + 1lb ground beef. I have no experience with lamb but my inclination is to make lamb/beef meatloaf because my wife mentioned meatloaf the other day. Solid plan? Treat the lamb just like ground beef?

Lamb is reportedly good in bolognese. I can’t stand the stuff, sadly :(

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

wormil posted:

Make a shepard’s pie with that lamb

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Mikey Purp posted:

I mean, that's basically shawarma. You should just make shawarma.

Shawarma (Arabic: شاورما ) also spelled shawurma or shawerma, is a Levantine meat preparation, where lamb, chicken, turkey, beef, veal, or mixed meats are placed on a spit and may be grilled for as long as a day. Shavings are cut off the block of meat for serving, ... wikipedia

That doesn't sound anything like meatloaf.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

wormil posted:

Shawarma (Arabic: شاورما ) also spelled shawurma or shawerma, is a Levantine meat preparation, where lamb, chicken, turkey, beef, veal, or mixed meats are placed on a spit and may be grilled for as long as a day. Shavings are cut off the block of meat for serving, ... wikipedia

Sure, but most people have an oven at home, not an open fire pit with a vertical spit. https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/06/greek-american-lamb-gyros-recipe.html

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
There's also a Food Wishes recipe that's good - http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2017/06/american-gyros-mystery-meat-demystified.html

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Sure, but most people have an oven at home, not an open fire pit with a vertical spit. https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/06/greek-american-lamb-gyros-recipe.html

Honestly, I'm confused. The wikipedia definition sounds similar to bbq or grilling. FW recipe is ground meat. So Shawarma = literally any cooking method of any meat?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

wormil posted:

Kufta

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

wormil posted:

Honestly, I'm confused. The wikipedia definition sounds similar to bbq or grilling. FW recipe is ground meat. So Shawarma = literally any cooking method of any meat?

It's more about the flavor and texture - the full article for the SE recipe explains how the method given approximates the same texture you'd get from a vertical rotisserie. The salted, pureed meat comes together to a bounciness after being baked and pan-fried, and the tight grain gives it a certain amount of chewiness and a homogeneous texture.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

How good of a blender do you need for idli/dosa/uttapam? I went to an Indian place recently and had idli and uttapam and liked them quite a lot, but I'm not sure if I should bother trying or not.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

IMO use this recipe but use this seasoning blend* and replace the sauce with toum and throw on some onion and Mediterranean pickles and it tastes nearly identical to the Shawarma the takeout places make.

*or just buy one when you're buying the pickles

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

wormil posted:

Sounds like döner kebab to me.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Sounds like döner kebab to me.

Same method, different seasonings, garnishes and sauces. Same method created the Taco Al Pastor.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

And gyros

Which is not gyro singular you dumb americans aaaag stop saying that

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

spankmeister posted:

And gyros

Which is not gyro singular you dumb americans aaaag stop saying that

Is this a thing people say? I live in the Midwest and I've never heard someone say "gyros" referring to a singular gyro.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Invisible Ted posted:

Is this a thing people say? I live in the Midwest and I've never heard someone say "gyros" referring to a singular gyro.

No you're doing it... The singular of gyros is gyros. Not gyro.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

spankmeister posted:

No you're doing it... The singular of gyros is gyros. Not gyro.

In America the singular of gyros is gyro, sorry bout ya

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is it pronounced gee-ro or guy-ro

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Leal posted:

It’s pronounced Döner Kebab.

Anyway, lamb mince person I would second the suggestion to make a Shepherds Pie. Lovely winter dish.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Leal posted:

Just don’t say yee-ro and you’ll be fine :911:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Leal posted:

Gyro, like gyroscope.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Supermarkets have a tendency to sell meat sliced more thinly than is recommended (e.g. half-inch pork chops, top round steaks, etc.). Is there much of a use for these thinly sliced meats besides things like milanesa? Or should I ignore the skimpy stuff?

Also, I've got a big bag of frozen broccoli I need to use up. Any ideas?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 25, 2018

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Helith posted:

The real truth is here.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Helith posted:

Anyway, lamb mince person I would second the suggestion to make a Shepherds Pie. Lovely winter dish.

American gyros, specifically the ones made in Chicago that most people in the Midwest eat, are different from doner kebab. I love them both but the hyper processed meat block in the USA is different.

Ah gently caress it they are the same grilled on a spit slightly similar spices who gives a poo poo about dumb purity tests anyway.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Lamb mince person make cumin chili lamb dumplings

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Supermarkets have a tendency to sell meat sliced more thinly than is recommended (e.g. half-inch pork chops, top round steaks, etc.). Is there much of a use for these thinly sliced meats besides things like milanesa? Or should I ignore the skimpy stuff?

Also, I've got a big bag of frozen broccoli I need to use up. Any ideas?

I like to roast or fry frozen broccoli the most. I've been adding broccoli to bean burritos or putting it on hummus toast (bread + hummus + veggies, toasted), or like a sandwich or something. These are all kind of weird things so maybe my tastebuds are breaking down though.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Pollyanna posted:

Supermarkets have a tendency to sell meat sliced more thinly than is recommended (e.g. half-inch pork chops,

I like the thin pork chops, throw in a hot skillet with browned butter for about 90 seconds a side. Or marinate and do the same. Or flour and fry. Fry while cold and you can get away with medium well but they are usually really tender. I cut off the fat and cook ahead of time because it doesn't have time to render if attached and will be a little slimy.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There is no singular form for gyros because there is no situation where you'd only eat one.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I dunno, maybe you're at a party and there's a plate of gyros and broccoli and to be polite you only take one gyrum and broccolus.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Grand Fromage posted:

There is no singular form for gyros because there is no situation where you'd only eat one.

:emptyquote:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

SubG posted:

I dunno, maybe you're at a party and there's a plate of gyros and broccoli and to be polite you only take one gyrum and broccolus.

If I were the host of that party I'd kick your rear end out.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Any recommendations for a single induction hotplate i can just plug in and put away when its not in use? i've got one of the old poo poo solid metal electric hobs and it'll be a while before i can replace it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
My husband accidentally made a huge batch of cookies with steel cut oats instead of oatmeal because he didn’t know the difference. How can I salvage these cookies so I’m not chewing undercooked oats, or do I just have to live with it now that they’re done?