Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

chapter's up

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/dr-stone/en/0/47/page/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

That hanzo steel. :allears: Of course a Japanese Katana would be the strongest weapon in this setting.

So where does this fall in the tech tree again?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I like that explained that the big dumb goits as basicaly being Disposable Mooks

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Dr. Stone - Senkuu Sighed As He Unsheated His Katana

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I don’t know much about sword-making, but isn’t making katanas in 3 days kinda ridiculous? Hilt and all too.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Yeah kinda silly. Katanas are not a terrible choice though because they don't require as much Iron as European swords. Also they're working with lovely iron sand because Japan doesn't have much in the way of iron deposits so the "1000 FOLDED HANZO STEEL" forging is about all they got without better chemicals and tools.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
yeah you'd want to give your dudes iron pointed spears and hatchets and halberds, something that gives you reach, and makes use of cheap natural materials

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Didn't senku make a blast furnace?

Checking.... Yep, lot easier to make poo poo when you can melt iron to liquid rather than merely soften it. A lot faster as well.

Also swords are pretty good weapons, especially if you can mass produce them.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

amigolupus posted:

That hanzo steel. :allears: Of course a Japanese Katana would be the strongest weapon in this setting.

So where does this fall in the tech tree again?

I mean they're competing against guys who are literally using rocks tied to sticks, it's not exactly difficult to beat that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Phobophilia posted:

yeah you'd want to give your dudes iron pointed spears and hatchets and halberds, something that gives you reach, and makes use of cheap natural materials

Against Rocks tied to sticks they are still way better. Plus the guys they are fighting are Japanese and recognize the swords, so they are probably a bit intimidated by them.

Plus I think Senku even said these swords were not great quality ones, but it's still way better then the crap their enemies are using.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kinrou looks good with glasses.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I’m just glad Sukia got a new helmet

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

AtomikKrab posted:

Didn't senku make a blast furnace?

Checking.... Yep, lot easier to make poo poo when you can melt iron to liquid rather than merely soften it. A lot faster as well.

Also swords are pretty good weapons, especially if you can mass produce them.

you cannot simply "mass produce" hanzo steel, it requires the soul of an artisan

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Yinlock posted:

you cannot simply "mass produce" hanzo steel, it requires the soul of an artisan

*creates a robot with a soul*

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

*creates a robot with a soul*

but enough about origin

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ConanThe3rd posted:

I’m just glad Sukia got a new helmet

It's "Suika," which means "watermelon" in Japanese.

I just recently caught up (I had missed the past 10-12 chapters) and this is such a great series. It's beee a particularly good surprise that Senkuu apparently had such a positive reception relative to the more typical other protagonist guy. WSJ is really the best its been in a long time ever since the previous "big three" titles died out and new stuff started being adopted.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ytlaya posted:

It's "Suika," which means "watermelon" in Japanese.

I just recently caught up (I had missed the past 10-12 chapters) and this is such a great series. It's beee a particularly good surprise that Senkuu apparently had such a positive reception relative to the more typical other protagonist guy. WSJ is really the best its been in a long time ever since the previous "big three" titles died out and new stuff started being adopted.

One Piece is still ongoing, only two of those finished, and of those, one finished on its own terms and now has a sequel I stopped caring about.

That said, yeah, Shonen Jump is in a very good moment right now. One Piece is great as always, but also My Hero Academia is very good western-ish shonen, Hunter x Hunter is actually publishing, and Dr. Stone adds a touch of intelligence to the genre.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Blaze Dragon posted:

One Piece is still ongoing, only two of those finished, and of those, one finished on its own terms and now has a sequel I stopped caring about.

That said, yeah, Shonen Jump is in a very good moment right now. One Piece is great as always, but also My Hero Academia is very good western-ish shonen, Hunter x Hunter is actually publishing, and Dr. Stone adds a touch of intelligence to the genre.

Yeah, not sure why I included OP since I know it's still running. But WSJ also has Promised Neverland, and Black Clover is fairly solid, even if it's not anything super great.

(I've always strongly disagreed with the idea that My Hero Academia is really similar to western comics in any way other than All Might's character design. I think that idea just sort of spread like a meme due to the thing about Horikoshi like western comics. The actual plot beats and characters and stuff are just what you'd normally expect from a shounen, though done well.)

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, not sure why I included OP since I know it's still running. But WSJ also has Promised Neverland, and Black Clover is fairly solid, even if it's not anything super great.

(I've always strongly disagreed with the idea that My Hero Academia is really similar to western comics in any way other than All Might's character design. I think that idea just sort of spread like a meme due to the thing about Horikoshi like western comics. The actual plot beats and characters and stuff are just what you'd normally expect from a shounen, though done well.)

It's (or at least was, imo) paced really quite well, but after the stellar first few arcs, and yeah they are the epitome of the shonen trifecta:
Story and power setup, recurring cast, rival and villain introduction, and then the first true threat informing the remainder of the manga.

But then beyond that, I kind of stopped caring.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Feb 24, 2018

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

If MHA was like a Western Comic the protagonist would be All Might again as soon as the anime started and 1/3rd of the arcs would be heroes fighting each other and changing sides.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there are kid protagonists in western comics

some of the kid focused team books would be the closest comparison I think

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

there are kid protagonists in western comics

some of the kid focused team books would be the closest comparison I think

It's more that in capecomics whenever they announce a superhero is passing the mantle that gets retconned months later. The only exception I can think of is uhh the Flash?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I can’t read cape comics because there’s never any kind of cohesive vision from the 5 different white dudes and that one white girl who writes that stuff

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Plutonis posted:

It's more that in capecomics whenever they announce a superhero is passing the mantle that gets retconned months later. The only exception I can think of is uhh the Flash?

Back in the 90s, DC kept mantles passed for some time. Flash and Green Lantern stayed the replacements for, like, a decade plus. And more minor mantles can stay passed for even longer (we're on, what, the fifth Robin?)

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012
Hanzo steel memes aside, making them katanas is actually a pretty good choice all things told. The positives are still there (being designed in the first place to be made with lovely iron sand instead of iron deposits, good at cutting people) without the negatives really being a problem - the other group doesn't have any armour, especially bronze/iron/steel armour that would be a problem for the relative brittleness of the katana.

Plus as someone said, the other side are all modern day people. Turning up to a fight with your rock tied to a stick and seeing the other side with loving katanas is going to do some psychological damage.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's still japan. i don't think 4000 years is enough to change the ore deposits.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's still japan. i don't think 4000 years is enough to change the ore deposits.

Senkuu can mine high grade Mazdatite and toyotanium whn he gets to the mainland

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Plutonis posted:

Uhhh, about that... With New52, DC rolled the role of Flash to Barry Allen so hard that Wally West stopped existing for years. To the point that the Flash on the TV show and the JL movie is pretty much Wally West but they called him Barry Allen because Barry is one of the most boring characters ever. :sigh:

Back to the chapter, I'm curious what's special about the spear Hyouga is carrying. It seems to have a trick to it, so maybe he's using something scientific to make it more effective? It might explain why he doesn't want anyone to look at it, since he doesn't want it getting back to Tsukasa.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hyouga was a materials engineer with a specilization in air bearings.

But il fuckin lol if tsukasa starts leering at anyone who makes ab atlatl

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

amigolupus posted:

Back to the chapter, I'm curious what's special about the spear Hyouga is carrying. It seems to have a trick to it, so maybe he's using something scientific to make it more effective? It might explain why he doesn't want anyone to look at it, since he doesn't want it getting back to Tsukasa.

It's a kuda yari/tube spear. The shaft goes through a hollow tube and you can twist it while thrusting to make it hard to dodge or push it up and down to thrust faster(or both). It shows up in a couple of other manga/anime.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Feb 25, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even medieval technology is a huge step up from stone age technology

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I mean, realistically speaking I'm pretty sure spears would be the best option, with some sort of shorter blade as a secondary weapon maybe. It's especially strange since I imagine you'd need considerably different training to use a sword like a katana compared with the spears I think most of the village's fighters (minus main girl I forget the name of) used beforehand.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
Have they not invented arrows yet?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Ytlaya posted:

I mean, realistically speaking I'm pretty sure spears would be the best option, with some sort of shorter blade as a secondary weapon maybe. It's especially strange since I imagine you'd need considerably different training to use a sword like a katana compared with the spears I think most of the village's fighters (minus main girl I forget the name of) used beforehand.

Considering most wars before gunpowder were won with spears and arrows because when arming a militia, which is all you really had beyond your small force of career soldiers/knights, the cheapest and most effective things are sharp sticks and the occasional axe that came with the person.

But really against anything bronze age and earlier steels, and especially hardened steels, are going to be some kind of god-level material in comparison to what came before.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
There should be something to say in favor of swords when you only need to arm 5 elite fighters. Aside from the fact that they already have spears, if the HanzoKaseki Steel is strong enough to cut through the lovely bamboo shafts they should provide a huge advantage if they can close range. These are a bunch of teenage delinquents they're fighting here, they probably aren't gonna be good at holding up a decent spear-wall formation.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

The swords could disarm the grunts, spears could only hurt them. It also caused them to retreat.
Senkuu also doesn't want to necessarily kill them.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Swords are visually cooler and more appealing for a shonen manga audience

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
polearms will gently caress up anyone, swords are sidearms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
projectile weapons won't work against tsukasa because he is literally superhuman