Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Old Musky could have stopped all wars on this planet, but INSTEAD he did something that may prove to be useful in a hundred years. Very troubling. And this, while all other billionaires spend all their money to help humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Paladinus posted:

Old Musky could have stopped all wars on this planet, but INSTEAD he did something that may prove to be useful in a hundred years. Very troubling. And this, while all other billionaires spend all their money to help humanity.

how will it be useful?

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

Dragging us into the glorious future of the 1960s; the decade before people realized there was nothing in space worth visiting.
you have space mixed up with your apartment

Salt Fish posted:

Putting a tesla into space because you can't figure out what the gently caress else to do up there is poetically similar to the final apathetic shrug of the Apollo program; astronauts driving a car on the moon.
you are still locked into the mindset of us going into space having reached our limits. which was almost-but-still-not-true when rocket technology limited us to a frequency of launches under a threshold with which we could undertake more ambitious projects

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

thats why he put his stupid car in space instead of a new satellite because he cares about the future
launching a satellite is relatively trivial unless youre suggesting he should test a new type of satellite while testing rocket technology at the same time which is not a good idea

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Real talk musky delivered a battery farm to South Australia that sorted their blackout problems and did it ahead of schedule and under budget so he's ok in my book

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

abigserve posted:

Real talk musky delivered a battery farm to South Australia that sorted their blackout problems and did it ahead of schedule and under budget so he's ok in my book
but he used a car as a test weight!

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

abigserve posted:

link please

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

how will it be useful?

Hm, yes, there are zero uses to space, I type using my fast internet connection. Time to watch the latest episode of my favourite TV show on HBO. It's so nice that we can transfer information so fast by pigeons and smoke signals, what a world.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Paladinus posted:

Hm, yes, there are zero uses to space, I type using my fast internet connection. Time to watch the latest episode of my favourite TV show on HBO. It's so nice that we can transfer information so fast by pigeons and smoke signals, what a world.

how does an electronic car in space do any of that?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

wid posted:

For a test? Like what? A very expensive sattelite that costs a hundred times more than a stupid car?

How about any of the dozens of student-built or cash-strapped startup-built cubesats that are waiting in the wings to catch a free ride on literally any rocket? Maybe those teams should have been asked to see if any of them wanted a ride on this test rocket.

Nah let's just launch a car-shaped piece of space trash instead, that'll make the stock price go up

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/elon-musks-tesla-battery-south-australia-responded-in-record-time-2017-12

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

QuarkJets posted:

How about any of the dozens of student-built or cash-strapped startup-built cubesats that are waiting in the wings to catch a free ride on literally any rocket? Maybe those teams should have been asked to see if any of them wanted a ride on this test rocket.

Nah let's just launch a car-shaped piece of space trash instead, that'll make the stock price go up

no it was an actual car. That some one could have used

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Elon is a rich rear end in a top hat. thanks

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

When a new rocket is untested it's common to try it out by launching dummy load, much as your father should have done. Like your father, he instead launched some old garbage that was going to get disposed of anyway. Unlike your father, his useless load proved entertaining and inspiring to millions of people. Clear?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Lol, Soviets have launched some dumb ball that beeps. Ha-ha, loving idiots, what does it even do? Just spins there in space and bleeps. What a waste.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

No, it was a Tesla.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

In conclusion, Elon Musk is a man of contrasts

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Trig Discipline posted:

When a new rocket is untested it's common to try it out by launching dummy load, much as your father should have done. Like your father, he instead launched some old garbage that was going to get disposed of anyway. Unlike your father, his useless load proved entertaining and inspiring to millions of people. Clear?

whoa, you didn't make a "your mom" joke.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Woah, you've really trolled everyone by pretending to be an idiot. What clever and believable trolling that was.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Paladinus posted:

Woah, you've really trolled everyone by pretending to be an idiot. What clever and believable trolling that was.

Im not pretending

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

oh I know, but a car launched into space is essentially just space debris at that point, so Elon Musk actually made LEO space more hazardous for his own vanity

Dave Concepcion
Mar 19, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

oh I know, but a car launched into space is essentially just space debris at that point, so Elon Musk actually made LEO space more hazardous for his own vanity

it's not in LEO though

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Why couldn't Elon Musk give me a million or two? Entitled prick.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Paladinus posted:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Dave Concepcion posted:

it's not in LEO though

It's only 11 million kilometres from Earth. It can ram into someone at any moment. Like we don't have enough vehicular homicides. Typical billionaires.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
im as mad as ive ever been!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

You're not fun anymore.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

You're not fun anymore.

you best not be talking about me

I was never fun

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

you best not be talking about me

I was never fun

he's talking about your rear end not becoming worthless fast enough

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
            here lies
           elon musk
6/28/1971 - 4/20/2069
 "just kept putting cars
into space for decades"

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Paladinus posted:

This but unironically, in the form of taxation and redistribution of wealth in a greatly unequal country

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

a cyberpunk goose posted:

This but unironically, in the form of taxation and redistribution of wealth in a greatly unequal country

That's pretty hosed up that Eli Mask doesn't pay any taxes. The bastard.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

The world doesn’t need billionaires

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
but who will make all the important decisions about the future of the nation if not the billionaires? I don't think peasants can be trusted to vote let alone afford to have their opinions matter.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

I didn’t think of it that way before

You are right

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
remember that time elon musk pooped his pants

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Elon Musk killed a woman in 1996.

E: meant to type didn't kill.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Yes but what about Elon's rear end

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

Alan Smithee posted:

Yes but what about Elon's rear end

his asses value is mostly intangible

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

He's running a commercial venture, so shooting a car into space get his companies a lot more exposure than shooting up a wet fart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

gary oldmans diary posted:

you have space mixed up with your apartment
you are still locked into the mindset of us going into space having reached our limits. which was almost-but-still-not-true when rocket technology limited us to a frequency of launches under a threshold with which we could undertake more ambitious projects
launching a satellite is relatively trivial unless youre suggesting he should test a new type of satellite while testing rocket technology at the same time which is not a good idea
pinning humanity's future on the whims of billionaires seems pretty short-sighted considering these same billionaires are actively destroying the entire global environment for humanity through global warming