Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Killmonger isnt real, and the back half of that characterization was written by actual people deliberately, possibly to poison the well when people rightly point out that the first half of his characterization is basically correct in any way that materially matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Killmonger isnt real, and the back half of that characterization was written by actual people deliberately, possibly to poison the well when people rightly point out that the first half of his characterization is basically correct in any way that materially matters.

Yeah.

It's also incredibly transparent that people spend more time to argue why Killmonger is evil than why T'Challa is good. He's a despotic monarch but no one will argue that poisons whatever he does. And people will claim that Killmonger is evil for wanting to start insurrections, but nobody minds T'Challa starting a coup in which his fellow countrymen die.

Puppy Time posted:

I feel like too many people see Killmonger and just stop at "He's a black guy who points out that there are oppressed people and it is bad to ignore that" rather than noticing the rest of the story, which is "He is also trained by the CIA and has decided that if he uses their methods, it'll be fine because his is a Righteous Cause," and also "He'll just murder anyone if he feels like it because he's actually a terrible human being."

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Feb 25, 2018

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

We should start a betting pool on how long it'll be before Lamps' next month long vacation.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

While I'm not sure it really relates to Internet critics, I'm on BOTL's side here. Killmonger's characterization, which ties black liberation to indiscriminate violence which is stopped with the aid of Martin Freeman, Bumbling But Well Meaning CIA Agent, is an intentional choice on the part of the filmmakers and should be interrogated.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s a movie. Not a crime.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Explored, then. I'm an English major so sometimes I slip into English major jargon

I Before E fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 25, 2018

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CelticPredator posted:

It’s a movie. Not a crime.

Speaking of which, when's the next Songcrimes coming up?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Have you people just not read the Black Panther comics

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

corn in the bible posted:

Have you people just not read the Black Panther comics

Who reads comics, nerd?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

What is this from?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What is this from?

Chris Priest's run on Black Panther, which was one of the main inspirations for the movie. That's Everett Ross in the Devil's Pants.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Yvonmukluk posted:

Chris Priest's run on Black Panther, which was one of the main inspirations for the movie. That's Everett Ross in the Devil's Pants.

Interesting. The art style reminds me of some issues of Constantine, I think.

I mean, NEEEERRD!!!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

This looks bad, to be honest.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I Before E posted:

While I'm not sure it really relates to Internet critics, I'm on BOTL's side here. Killmonger's characterization, which ties black liberation to indiscriminate violence which is stopped with the aid of Martin Freeman, Bumbling But Well Meaning CIA Agent, is an intentional choice on the part of the filmmakers and should be interrogated.
Killmonger isn't black liberation. He's colonialism.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Ghostlight posted:

Killmonger isn't black liberation. He's colonialism.

That's a repulsive comparison.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Yeah.

It's also incredibly transparent that people spend more time to argue why Killmonger is evil than why T'Challa is good. He's a despotic monarch but no one will argue that poisons whatever he does. And people will claim that Killmonger is evil for wanting to start insurrections, but nobody minds T'Challa starting a coup in which his fellow countrymen die.

You mean to tell me that coming into a country that you are still king of by law and trying to oust a dictator that removed the means to transition power and wants to mount insurrections in other countries and then swoop in afterwards and consolidate power to himself is a bad thing?

I'm sure Napoleon and Stalin would agree with you.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

im glad botls back so we can continue the hot trend of importing arguments from cinema discusso into this thread for absolutely no reason

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

logger posted:

You mean to tell me that coming into a country that you are still king of by law and trying to oust a dictator that removed the means to transition power and wants to mount insurrections in other countries and then swoop in afterwards and consolidate power to himself is a bad thing?

I'm sure Napoleon and Stalin would agree with you.

Can't believe we found an apologist for both the Bourbons and the White Army.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Feb 25, 2018

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wasn't BOTL officially banned from this thread?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Jenny Nicholson's got you covered until then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILZ7Oy3gM5U

Hey its Jenny being mentioned in here, her channel is great. A Good mix of optimism, cynicism, dry humor and slowly increasing amounts of Porgs appearing in the background.
Her MLP cleaning video is also wholesome as all hell. :3:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Yvonmukluk posted:

Wasn't BOTL officially banned from this thread?

He should've been.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

We were all warned about engagement. Now our only hope is for an inquisitor.

The mark of Satan is upon this thread once again.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

what on earth could that poster have possibly done to have everyone flipping the gently caress out

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Kim Justice posted:

We were all warned about engagement. Now our only hope is for an inquisitor.

The mark of Satan is upon this thread once again.

*Packs bag* I'll see you all in a week!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Waffles Inc. posted:

what on earth could that poster have possibly done to have everyone flipping the gently caress out

Bad posts. Don’t defend thanks.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Waffles Inc. posted:

He's a lovely CinemaD style poster that doesn't know how to shut the gently caress up and will always argue in bad faith. He's a poo poo poster that should never be defended

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Waffles Inc. posted:

Consider checking their rap sheet.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnD3ZgfEg8s

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
By the way, this is reviews on the forums, but I just updated my genre fiction review thread with posts about why Jack Vance rules and why George R.R. Martin drools. (spoilers for ASOIAF I guess)

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Feb 25, 2018

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

ANYWAY! Nyx talks about a movie called "Beyond the Black Rainbow" and I think I need to see it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTtTaQfB99U

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

BigRed0427 posted:

ANYWAY! Nyx talks about a movie called "Beyond the Black Rainbow" and I think I need to see it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTtTaQfB99U

Watch it, it's pretty good.

Edit: And it's soundtrack has been used a lot in internet videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qyXX5uSKoQ

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 25, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Waffles Inc. posted:

Testekill posted:

He's a lovely CinemaD style poster that doesn't know how to shut the gently caress up and will always argue in bad faith. He's a poo poo poster that should never be defended

Basically a try-hard attention whore troll. Their most recent LOOK AT ME YOU DUMBSHITS tactic is accusing people of being pedophiles apropos of nothing once all other avenues to argue in bad faith have dried up. So look for that to make an appearance in due time... and for them for be banned for it again.

Tl;dr: there’s two unspoken rules of this thread, #1 is “lol Doug Walker”, and #2 is

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

I own that movie but haven't watched it yet, really need to get on that.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

You should watch it. It’s like a perfect recreation of the experience of watching something hosed up from the 70s on late-night tv when you were too young. It’s all tone and feeling, and it’s perfect if you had that experience. There are so many little touches that hit how hosed-up 70s film was taken a little out of context. There’s basically no plot, and it’s almost like events bleed into each other in the way they would if you saw Prince of Darkness when you were 12 and then tried to explain what you saw when you were an adult.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

business hammocks posted:

You should watch it. It’s like a perfect recreation of the experience of watching something hosed up from the 70s on late-night tv when you were too young. It’s all tone and feeling, and it’s perfect if you had that experience. There are so many little touches that hit how hosed-up 70s film was taken a little out of context. There’s basically no plot, and it’s almost like events bleed into each other in the way they would if you saw Prince of Darkness when you were 12 and then tried to explain what you saw when you were an adult.

That's a shallow experience to chase after, to be quite honest.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Feb 25, 2018

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Basically a try-hard attention whore troll. Their most recent LOOK AT ME YOU DUMBSHITS tactic is accusing people of being pedophiles apropos of nothing once all other avenues to argue in bad faith have dried up. So look for that to make an appearance in due time... and for them for be banned for it again.

Tl;dr: there’s two unspoken rules of this thread, #1 is “lol Doug Walker”, and #2 is

I mean, I say this as someone who has their own history of poo poo in this thread, as well as having some bad run ins with the poster in question. But BOTL suddenly implying that they're a paedophile for no reason? I don't think they should be allowed back here. You do not do that, ever.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kim Justice posted:

I mean, I say this as someone who has their own history of poo poo in this thread, as well as having some bad run ins with the poster in question. But BOTL suddenly implying that they're a paedophile for no reason? I don't think they should be allowed back here. You do not do that, ever.

If nothing else, they’ve shown that they are so singularly obsessed with shitposting and trolling on the Forums of Something Awful in 2018 Anno Domini that they willingly paid Lowtax at least $20 (not counting avatar changes) of their own money and then waited by their computer down to the second for their last month-long probation to expire and begin shitposting again. Sad.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

nine-gear crow posted:

then waited by their computer down to the second for their last month-long probation to expire and begin shitposting again.

This is an odd thing to fantasize about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

This is an odd thing to fantasize about.

Yeah, it must have been a tough month for you.

• Locked thread