Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Aren't reaction/analysis videos just forum posts in live action format, really?

v Okay fine, they're like my forum posts :colbert:

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If they got their point out in 10-60 seconds, maybe.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Phylodox posted:

Or you’re like me and you watched a Let’s Play of Alien: Isolation because you’re too ascairt to play it yourself.

Or you get tired of getting murdered, and have to take the game back to the video store. I don't care for stealth games, but Alien: Isolation is pretty great.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Black Panther was awesome.

Awesome.

Aaah. I need to see more. My whole attention was on the screen. Like. I loved it and the music. And I was so glad about the women. Like. they were kicking rear end.
And shirtless Killmonger, oh dear. (Bring him back to life with magic or something plz).

Also everyone in the room went "Hahaha, YEAH! That's right! " during T'challa's speech part about building bridges during the mid credits. It's personal :mexico:

Edit: I'm also late because I had no money last weekend. :(

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The best LP I've ever seen is Neebs Gamings Subnautica LP, if you can call it that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puU7C44XeAA&list=PL1Uou2DWH7IHDDB32JmLzFALyBNX_4gXc

Like I guess LPs are normally just people playing the game and talking about it, but these guys are able to create a story using their characters and personalities interwoven with just regular gameplay. Also they are fantastic with audio mixing. They also have a long running Ark series, amazing GTAV and most recently a 7 Days to Die series.

My friends Podcast put up their episode about Black Panther and part of it includes an interview with a customer from the LCS who is from Ghana who talks about what BP feels like for him, as a comics and movie fan, but also as someone from Africa. Its great because he points out how African countries are always shown as poor shitholes in movies, but here they were not.

http://www.livingbetweenwednesdays.com/

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

John Rogers (who worked on the film) had a great response to this

Retro Futurist posted:

Thanks for sharing

https://twitter.com/jonrog1/status/...ts-bad-movie%2F

In case anyone was wondering the specifics.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Desperado Bones posted:

And shirtless Killmonger, oh dear.
With trypophobia he looked really offputting and I was glad when he got his shirt back on.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Black Panther was fire emoji, and I appreciate that the entire point of the film is that nationalism is stupid and short-sighted.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

catlord posted:

https://twitter.com/jonrog1/status/...ts-bad-movie%2F

In case anyone was wondering the specifics.

That is perfect and amazing. I mean by now any of the people who were going on about how Blade or Men in Black are more important were either ignorant or doing so in bad faith.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

twistedmentat posted:

That is perfect and amazing. I mean by now any of the people who were going on about how Blade or Men in Black are more important were either ignorant or doing so in bad faith.

The funny thing about Blade is how much of its aesthetic The Matrix swipes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

howe_sam posted:

The funny thing about Blade is how much of its aesthetic The Matrix swipes.

They'd basically wrapped filming on The Matrix before Blade was even released.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They'd basically wrapped filming on The Matrix before Blade was even released.

Yeah, or so they want you to think.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
From Deadline

The Disney release posted $47.7M on Saturday, +66% which puts its second weekend at $108M, -46%. Can’t mention enough how this Marvel movie goes higher and higher, so if we’ve grown this much since Friday, we’re bound to grow even more by Sunday. At this pace, Black Panther would own the second best second weekend at the B.O. behind Force Awakens ($149.2M), and well ahead of Avengers‘s sophomore sesh of $103M.

http://deadline.com/2018/02/black-panther-natalie-portman-annihilation-game-night-weekend-box-office-1202300998/

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Lurdiak posted:

Black Panther was fire emoji, and I appreciate that the entire point of the film is that nationalism is stupid and short-sighted.

Except it had made them the most powerful country on earth, so it seems like it's pretty cool. Also, bloodsports to determine the boss is the way of the future

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Zzulu posted:

Except it had made them the most powerful country on earth, so it seems like it's pretty cool. Also, bloodsports to determine the boss is the way of the future

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Zzulu posted:

Also, bloodsports to determine the boss is the way of the future

In Black Panther the challenge rite was basically a formality. It was an entrenched tradition that no one had actually tried to take advantage of in years. And the movie pretty clearly presents us with why it’s a bad idea.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yet the entire society of Wakanda willingly starts following a mass murderer because he threw their king off a cliff

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Zzulu posted:

Yet the entire society of Wakanda willingly starts following a mass murderer because he threw their king off a cliff

Yes? That’s...what I said?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It's stupid and really stupid

The movie was really stupid is what I'm saying. A lot of dumb things in Black Panther, the movie. The "lets undress and fight to the death for the right to rule this land" was just the dumbest

Still, fun movie

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Zzulu posted:

It's stupid and really stupid

The movie was really stupid is what I'm saying. A lot of dumb things in Black Panther, the movie. The "lets undress and fight to the death for the right to rule this land" was just the dumbest

Still, fun movie

I mean, yeah, it’s stupid if you completely ignore/misunderstand what the movie was trying to say.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
They didn't even change the ritual

At the end of the movie the Man Ape can still keep challenging Tchalla to rule the country if he wants to by banging his head with a club. I don't get why people defend the dumber parts of this movie so much. They put that stuff in the movie so they could have Killmonger become God King of Wakanda without any fuss

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Please defend the lovely CGI rhinos the most advanced country on earth use in combat

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Zzulu posted:

This doesn't happen. You could say their secret service and border patrol follow him after he admits having killed people but your outline is ridiculous.

Zzulu posted:

Please defend the lovely CGI rhinos the most advanced country on earth use in combat

Rhinos are cooler than you.

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 25, 2018

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Zzulu posted:

They didn't even change the ritual

At the end of the movie the Man Ape can still keep challenging Tchalla to rule the country if he wants to by banging his head with a club. I don't get why people defend the dumber parts of this movie so much. They put that stuff in the movie so they could have Killmonger become God King of Wakanda without any fuss

Did you miss the part where T’Challa is enacting sweeping change at the end of the movie? How he realizes that blindly following tradition and preserving culture at all costs is ultimately destructive? Because the world is catching up and organizations like the CIA can use that against them, which is exactly what happens and is explicitly called out as such by Ross?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Sgt. Politeness posted:

This doesn't happen. You could say their secret service and border patrol follow him after he admits having killed people but your outline is ridiculous.

What? An entire tribe starts attacking Tchalla because he commands them and he burns their sacred superflowers because he orders them to while choking a woman. They start selling weapons globally because he tells them to. The council literally sits in a room with him and accepts his orders

What makes you think anything else

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Zzulu you're sounding like the kind of guy who thinks Starship Troopers isn't a satire.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Phylodox posted:

Did you miss the part where T’Challa is enacting sweeping change at the end of the movie? How he realizes that blindly following tradition and preserving culture at all costs is ultimately destructive? Because the world is catching up and organizations like the CIA can use that against them, which is exactly what happens and is explicitly called out as such by Ross?

He put an outreach centre in America is what I saw, I saw nothing about them getting rid of their traditions to hit eachother with swords

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I don't think anyone can challenge for the throne anymore. The first ritual combat was because T'Challa was being made King officially after his father's death and the second time was because Killmonger had a legit claim to the throne because of his birthright. But that's it. So unless more long lost older brothers or cousins show up T'Challa will remain unchallenged.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Zzulu posted:

He put an outreach centre in America is what I saw, I saw nothing about them getting rid of their traditions to hit eachother with swords

So, a huge, sweeping sea change in Wakandan culture. But, yeah, it’s just that one thing, surely T’Challa won’t do anything to change the ritual that nearly destabilized the whole world. Do you really need it explicitly spelled out? Come on.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Uh, I like Black Panther but it was hardly a cerebral movie.

The duel thing was dumb, the fact that the big fight at the end was apparently with a bunch of people with scythes and swords and rhinos was dumb. That poo poo clashed extremely hard with the basic premise of the movie, which was that an african nation was the most advanced nation in the world... Yes you can have traditions and cultural oddities even in politics and government irl but when someone can just put on an ape mask and up and kill your king to become king, it's really dumb? Even if they realize that it's idiotic at the end, you still have the most advanced nation in the world doing that crap at the start of the movie

My biggest issues however, were the really lovely CGI effects and relatively boring action. Tchalla wasn't exactly thrilling either

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

People are completely unable to separate minor elements of the setting from the complexity of the themes the movie contains and are calling it dumb because of it, lol

e: also I really don't mean this in an accusatory sense but a lot of these complaints about rhinos and poo poo come across as criticizing the movie's portrayal of an advanced nation as not Western enough, which is... woof.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
It's not even that, we've got people here unable to identify themes in a narrative because of a CGI rhino. I don't even know what you call that.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
You guys are right, what this monarchy needs to do is remove it's one impeachment clause. First act as king, T'Challa should make sure no one can challenge his power.

Also: In order to be an advanced society you have to reflect western ideas. You guys are cute.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Some of you people seem to misspell 'cool' as 'dumb'.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Fangz posted:

Some of you people seem to misspell 'cool' as 'dumb'.

It's that new hippity hop slang!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nilbop posted:

It's not even that, we've got people here unable to identify themes in a narrative because of a CGI rhino. I don't even know what you call that.

Stupid?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sgt. Politeness posted:

You guys are right, what this monarchy needs to do is remove it's one impeachment clause. First act as king, T'Challa should make sure no one can challenge his power.

This is about not liking monarchies in general. If being able to challenge him is bad and not being able to challenge him is bad, too, then yes, the BSS movie thread has figured out that monarchies aren't great.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

lomzus posted:

From Deadline

The Disney release posted $47.7M on Saturday, +66% which puts its second weekend at $108M, -46%. Can’t mention enough how this Marvel movie goes higher and higher, so if we’ve grown this much since Friday, we’re bound to grow even more by Sunday. At this pace, Black Panther would own the second best second weekend at the B.O. behind Force Awakens ($149.2M), and well ahead of Avengers‘s sophomore sesh of $103M.

http://deadline.com/2018/02/black-panther-natalie-portman-annihilation-game-night-weekend-box-office-1202300998/

Holee poo poo. That's an amazingly good second weekend drop for a comic book movie. BP could legitimately beat Avengers' domestic gross (but probably not its foreign gross, because racism).

PS: if you are against armored war-rhinos, you are a bad person and should feel bad.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

What the hell does Rhinos have to do with western culture or not

They're riding animals into battle in 2018. The most advanced country in the world is doing this. Instead of guns they're using swords and clubs. It's objectively stupid. You can't just brush every criticism away by pointing the finger and saying "You don't get the narrative subtleties". It's okay to critique a film even if you liked it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Fartbox posted:

They're riding animals into battle in 2018. The most advanced country in the world is doing this. Instead of guns they're using swords and clubs. It's objectively stupid. You can't just brush every criticism away by pointing the finger and saying "You don't get the narrative subtleties". It's okay to critique a film even if you liked it

They’re using spears that they specifically go out of their way to point out are also sonic cannons that can take out a tank. This is a country that has never gone to war, so most of their weaponry, while advanced, is largely ceremonial. They have access to technology that pretty much renders guns and bullets moot, so why would they use them? I mean, all of this is right there in the movie.

• Locked thread