Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Fartbox posted:

What the hell does Rhinos have to do with western culture or not

They're riding animals into battle in 2018. The most advanced country in the world is doing this. Instead of guns they're using swords and clubs. It's objectively stupid. You can't just brush every criticism away by pointing the finger and saying "You don't get the narrative subtleties". It's okay to critique a film even if you liked it

Again, you're criticizing the movie for not living up to a standard of how a developed nation "should" act, by Western standards. The movie's technology is so fascinating because it clearly incorporates numerous elements of pan-African history and culture into it, like the force fields generated from the garments of W'Kabi's tribe. It's not just an attempt to be cool or weird, either: it's trying to celebrate Africa in the process. Saying that something like that seems primitive is not a good look, especially when, in the same breath, you suggest that they should all just be killing each other with guns, something that the movie explicitly calls out as being primitive from the Wakandan perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

No advanced nations would do that, western or eastern or african. Because it IS primitive and stupid... that's my issue with it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Fartbox posted:

No advanced nations would do that, western or eastern or african. Because it IS primitive and stupid... that's my issue with it

Sorry man, you clearly have no perspective here on any of this and you're coming off as pretty uninformed in the process. Again, not trying to accuse you, but it comes off as kinda racist.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Fartbox posted:

If we could outfit horses with sonic cannons and impenetrable force fields, we might. Just like if you could deflect lasers with your laser sword, you would.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
[Narrative thrust of the movie is that change is necessary for a society to function]

"Hey what's with these guys fighting with swords to determine right of succession! That's so backwards! This is 2018, movie, smarten up!"

[Movie exists in a universe where two of the central characters fight off alien invasions with a shield and blacksmith hammer]

"Hey why's the most technologically advanced nation on earth fighting with laser-spears and riding rhinos into battle! That's totally not optimized for combat!"

[5+years and counting of how fun, light movies dabbling in serious issues is a better fit for the comic genre than ultra-gritty faux-realism]

"You can't commend a movie for having an overarching theme about societal change while also enjoying it as a light-hearted action movie, that's hypocritical!"

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

It's like if the Japanese would still be using horses and only using samurai swords and bow and arrows instead of, you know, modern tech

Because of ~culture~

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Excuse me do you expect me to believe an advanced civilization has mastered space travel and interplanetary colonization but still uses melee weapons? How implausible

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm still kind of laughing at the idea that one can say something along the lines of "civilized countries kill each other with guns" and not immediately catch on fire

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Fartbox posted:

It's like if the Japanese would still be using horses and only using samurai swords and bow and arrows instead of, you know, modern tech

Because of ~culture~

Right, except, like I said, if they did that while incorporating their incredibly advanced to the point that it’s basically magic technology into their “primitive” weaponry you’d pretty much have Jedi, who are pretty much universally recognized as formidable warriors.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Fartbox posted:

Because of ~culture~

If your arrows could penetrate a tank while simultaneously serving as a symbol of your culture, why would you ever switch to anything else?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Excuse me the Asgardians are a civilization so advanced their technology is indistinguishable from magic but you expect me to believe their greatest warrior uses a hammer in combat? And they battle with SWORDS? Marvel, what exactly are you trying to sell me here?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Pretty racist that the Asgardians all dress like knights and vikings and wield medieval swords. I guess all norsemen are primitive savages who can't use modern weapons.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Fartbox posted:

Did you make this same stupid argument about Thor? Or Star Wars? I'm guessing no.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Okay now that that arguement's been solidly put to bed we can focus on my problem that I've just been reminded how the Gungans successfully used catapults and slingshots against an army of drone combatants that had mastered mobile artillery and interplanetary travel.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nilbop posted:

Okay now that that arguement's been solidly put to bed we can focus on my problem that I've just been reminded how the Gungans successfully used catapults and slingshots against an army of drone combatants that had mastered mobile artillery and interplanetary travel.

Ewoks bro.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Phylodox posted:

If we could outfit horses with sonic cannons and impenetrable force fields, we might. Just like if you could deflect lasers with your laser sword, you would.
It's at this point that I should point out that the US military spent many millions of dollars funding research into the construction of robotic mules.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The CGI Armed Rhinos are completely stupid and out of place.

Because they didn't let M'Baku supplex one. :colbert:

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Yeah I'm sure the movie would've been better if Wakandan society was perfect :rolleyes:
Also, if their society has been functioning well for thousands of years, why change certain traditions?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
loving hell, Okoye literally has a moment where she comments on how worthless guns are compared to her indestructible spear that has a taser and sonic cannon built into it. She then proceeds to use those things to neutralize a car. Under gunfire.

I will never understand being upset that a comic book adaptation would have fantastic elements. Like imagine watching Batman and being upset that he throws Batarangs instead of just shooting everybody. Or watching Iron Man and questioning why he pilots the suit personally instead of remotely. It's a fantasy land, feel free to give it just the slightest bit of a break.

War rhinos are cool.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nilbop posted:

They actually didn't. They held out for awhile but had ultimately lost the battle until Anakin accidentally blew up the droid control ship. Because having all your droids controlled by a single ship makes tons of sense.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SonicRulez posted:

loving hell, Okoye literally has a moment where she comments on how worthless guns are compared to her indestructible spear that has a taser and sonic cannon built into it. She then proceeds to use those things to neutralize a car. Under gunfire.

I will never understand being upset that a comic book adaptation would have fantastic elements. Like imagine watching Batman and being upset that he throws Batarangs instead of just shooting everybody. Or watching Iron Man and questioning why he pilots the suit personally instead of remotely. It's a fantasy land, feel free to give it just the slightest bit of a break.

War rhinos are cool.

He's upset because the drat savages are not being drat savages.

Because he is clearly a loving racist.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

WB animation are doing a Death of Superman animated movie.

I find this odd because they already did an animated movie based on that story-line, Superman: Doomsday. That and the fact that BvS adapted it as well, the story seems to have enough coverage. I don't understand the impetus to do another.

Money, I guess. That comic was very successful.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

One interesting but unspoken thing about Wakandan technology is that if they you’ll notice in the last battle both sides, by heavily relying on force fields and taser-spears, end up dealing out relatively few casualties to either side . It may rely on comic book physics to work, but they actually are more sophisticated and civilized weapons.

It makes sense for a society where all conflict is internal to focus on small boutique fighting forces using ceremonial weapons with a variable spectrum of lethal force.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 25, 2018

EugeneDebsWasCool
Nov 10, 2017
Buglord

Fartbox posted:

You ARE primitive and stupid... that's my issue with you. Oh, and you're a loving racist too can't forget that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
55 new posts I wonder what's going on in he- :yikes:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I know this is the movie thread and not the TV thread, but I just wanted to make sure you all aren't missing out on the Black Lightning show. I wasn't expecting much out of it, but it's super good! I think it could serve as a good complimentary piece to Black Panther.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Rhyno posted:

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Rhyno posted:

He's upset because the drat savages are not being drat savages.

The guy who only posted here to complain about the movie before it even came out didn't like it? I am really shocked.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Fartbox posted:

Because of ~culture~

You know there's tons of Japanese-created entertainment that do those exact things, right?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Nodosaur posted:

You know there's tons of Japanese-created entertainment that do those exact things, right?

:lol: that's what made me laugh about his comment. Like, dude...have you really watch any Japanese media at all? hahahaha loving racists.

JordanKai posted:

I know this is the movie thread and not the TV thread, but I just wanted to make sure you all aren't missing out on the Black Lightning show. I wasn't expecting much out of it, but it's super good! I think it could serve as a good complimentary piece to Black Panther.

I haven't finished the first episode. Does it get really good? :)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JT Smiley posted:

The guy who only posted here to complain about the movie before it even came out didn't like it? I am really shocked.

It's hilarious really. I've seen a lot of it on FB as well. The best was a dude with a confed flag as his avatar.

Karloff posted:

I find this odd because they already did an animated movie based on that story-line, Superman: Doomsday. That and the fact that BvS adapted it as well, the story seems to have enough coverage. I don't understand the impetus to do another.

This one is going to be far more true to comics I think.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Desperado Bones posted:

I'm super into it so far. It's rare for TV shows to execute tense scenes as well as this one does and it doesn't shy away from touching on the Black Condition in the slightest. It's a strong contender for my favourite superhero show at the moment. :)

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Nice, gonna have to binge on Netflix one of these next days.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Desperado Bones posted:

:lol: that's what made me laugh about his comment. Like, dude...have you really watch any Japanese media at all? hahahaha loving racists.

I'm really enjoying it so far

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nodosaur posted:

Hell, western media does that kind of thing whenever the setting allows it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also guns are primitive as hell. A tube that strikes the back of a pressure cell.

We invented that in the 14th century.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Look, we just aren't appreciating his position on the matter and why can't these drat savages use guns and drive tanks?

Edit: I am clearly mocking mr racist Foxfart in case it's not clear. BP was the best movie ever.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
It's like if we had super technologically advanced characters in sci-fi films just being cowboys with space guns. Glad that never happens.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wakanda is an autocratic country, hiding itself and its capabilities from the outside world. A comic book movie where a whole country has a secret identity. It's also never been taken over nor has it taken over other countries (at least not since the invention of guns). Why would they produce guns? Not for export, because then their identity would be revealed.

So that leaves two options, one of which is defence of the nation. Except they obviously don't need guns for protection, and guns, because of ammunition, are inherently wasteful. The other option being to use to kill one other or rebel, which doesn't seem like a smart thing for a ruler to allow to happen but would also lead to a colossally counterproductive and wasteful internal arms race of vibranium bullets versus vibranium armour/shields.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Karloff posted:

I hope it features the Booster Gold/Blue Beetle/Guy Gardener Justice League. Who else was in that? Fire and Ice and Bloodstorm or whatever Martian Manhunter was calling himself in that guise.

• Locked thread