Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Rirse posted:

If I get that urges, I just do a deathmatch round with her to get it out of my system.

:catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
some dude in a game i just played in had a really nice black/gold winston skin that ive never seen before and its not in the character shop menu thing, what was it?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Thumbtacks posted:

some dude in a game i just played in had a really nice black/gold winston skin that ive never seen before and its not in the character shop menu thing, what was it?

if it's black and gold then it's a seoul dynasty skin; check the overwatch league tab in game. you buy those skins with a separate currency but everyone got enough to get one free when the league started. you can also get enough for another skin by signing up for the owl newsletter and linking your battle.net account to your twitch account will let you accrue points by watching league matches. otherwise you have to buy that currency with real money iirc

once you own a skin, it'll show up in your hero gallery like the others. you just can't buy them from there

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

if it's black and gold then it's a seoul dynasty skin; check the overwatch league tab in game. you buy those skins with a separate currency but everyone got enough to get one free when the league started. you can also get enough for another skin by signing up for the owl newsletter and linking your battle.net account to your twitch account will let you accrue points by watching league matches. otherwise you have to buy that currency with real money iirc

once you own a skin, it'll show up in your hero gallery like the others. you just can't buy them from there

i took a long break from OW so i never linked my accounts, do i still get the currency for it?

edit: just looked, i have 0 currency

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you got the free stuff for having logged in at any point in january or something like that, so yea tough luck on that one

I think the newsletter bonus is still active but the twitch thing involves you actively watching the overwatch league so keep that in mind

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Manatee Cannon posted:

you got the free stuff for having logged in at any point in january or something like that, so yea tough luck on that one

I think the newsletter bonus is still active but the twitch thing involves you actively watching the overwatch league so keep that in mind

If by actively watching you mean having a window up in the background 24/7 sure

Loops
Oct 20, 2011

I've been thinking about buying this game after playing on a friend's account for the last week or so. Thing is, I kind of really enjoy playing Mei and I've gotten a few unpleasant comments about it (mostly about just choosing the character). Am I going to be holding the team back and ruining everyone's enjoyment and getting bitched at constantly if I mostly prefer to play that hero? Should I just give up on Mei and find a second favourite or something?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Mei is a bit of a situational character in serious play - she's played on defense to lock down a point - and in OW it's a good idea to learn more than one character anyway, since you don't wanna be stuck in a role another three people might be covering already. However, if you're good enough with a character it doesn't really matter. Play Mei in QP, try out some other dudes too for fun, it's okay.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
If you buy a new account you have 25 levels of QP to get through before you hit anything serious. Feel free to play a bunch of Mei all you like, just try to learn another hero or 2 in those 25 levels. You can still play Mei in comp even if people tell you otherwise, especially since buffs are coming, but people might get a bit salty. You can still kind of ignore them though tbh :ssh:

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell

Loops posted:

I've been thinking about buying this game after playing on a friend's account for the last week or so. Thing is, I kind of really enjoy playing Mei and I've gotten a few unpleasant comments about it (mostly about just choosing the character). Am I going to be holding the team back and ruining everyone's enjoyment and getting bitched at constantly if I mostly prefer to play that hero? Should I just give up on Mei and find a second favourite or something?

Rest assured, people will bitch and moan about your character choices and playstyle, no matter who you pick or what you do. Play however and whoever you like and do your best, just don't actively troll people.

You can turn text chat off if you don't want to interact with toxic people.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Dias posted:

Mei is a bit of a situational character in serious play - she's played on defense to lock down a point - and in OW it's a good idea to learn more than one character anyway, since you don't wanna be stuck in a role another three people might be covering already. However, if you're good enough with a character it doesn't really matter. Play Mei in QP, try out some other dudes too for fun, it's okay.

If last night's OWL is anything to go by, she is great attacking in kings row once you get past the first point.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Loops posted:

If anyone gives you poo poo for picking Mei in Quick Play, you can always just hide text chat and/or mute toxic dickheads. No one should care what hero you pick in Quick Play anyways. Play whatever hero you're interested in. If you want to have a go at Competitive Play though, Mei is considered a niche/off-meta pick so it'd be proper to get comfortable on a couple heroes that fit whatever the current meta is if you want to venture down the road of becoming a tryhard.

[edit] Or you could just mess around in the Arcade/Custom game modes like Total Mayhem with Mei to your heart's content.

teagone fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 25, 2018

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It's generally a good idea to work on a couple heroes to play. Not just because you will find a situation where your favorite isn't working, but sometimes someone else will get your favorite before you, and then if you can't play anyone else you're just going to be frustrated.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

turtlecrunch posted:

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/update-on-symmetra/3732/4
Symmetra changes are going to take time. We don’t see her as needing minor fixes. We’re currently focused on Sombra, Doomfist, Mei, Hanzo and Hero 27… Symmetra is next up after that but could take a significant amount of time depending on the severity of the changes (in particular if new animation, sound, art is required – which I believe will be the case).

love too tacitly admit nobody on the team has a design objective for 25% of the cast

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Willie Tomg posted:

love too tacitly admit nobody on the team has a design objective for 25% of the cast

What do you even mean by this?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Blizzard has no idea what they want a large portion of heroes to actually do.

This isn't some heroes being better than others, it's "why did we add sombra again? wait, our game has symmetra in it too? gently caress!"

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I mean they knew exactly what they wanted the characters to do? Their problem has been making them work in a way that's actually effective and leads to good play in comparison to the rest of the cast. I still don't really understand what you're trying to say.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Willie Tomg posted:

Blizzard has no idea what they want a large portion of heroes to actually do.

This isn't some heroes being better than others, it's "why did we add sombra again? wait, our game has symmetra in it too? gently caress!"

Well he says "focused on" which in this context basically means that he's promising some kind of changes (minor or major) to this list of heroes. And it makes sense that most of the heroes are not under the loop.

I mean what could you possibly ever do to something like Pharah. It's in the game and it is what is is. Minor adjustments maybe, but nothing to say out loud if there's nothing actively under development.

Bolivar fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 25, 2018

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

flatluigi posted:

I mean they knew exactly what they wanted the characters to do? Their problem has been making them work in a way that's actually effective and leads to good play in comparison to the rest of the cast. I still don't really understand what you're trying to say.

The game does not play in a way that is conducive to those heroes facilitating gameplay. Even with two years to look at it post-release, Blizzard still can't quite reconcile its design with its design. That's very funny except for the part where now everyone I know IRL is fed up with this poo poo and uninstalled, lol.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Willie Tomg posted:

The game does not play in a way that is conducive to those heroes facilitating gameplay. Even with two years to look at it post-release, Blizzard still can't quite reconcile its design with its design. That's very funny except for the part where now everyone I know IRL is fed up with this poo poo and uninstalled, lol.

What are you on about?

All of them are 100% perfectly working characters and what Blizzard is doing is fine tuning their balance a bit.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

adhuin posted:

What are you on about?

All of them are 100% perfectly working characters

pfffffffffffahahahahahahahahaha

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Well I mean technically they're all functional

Whether what some characters do is actually useful or not made redundant by other characters is a whole other story

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Wrist Watch posted:

Well I mean technically they're all functional

Whether what they do is actually useful or not made redundant by other characters is a whole other story

Which ones are redundant?
They are all useful and different enough from each other?.
It's true that some are little better than others.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

adhuin posted:

Which ones are redundant?
They are all useful .

Doomfist says Hi.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I think we can all agree that there is at least one hero in the game that pretty much nobody wants on their team in any circumstance and that’s not good when your hero cast is 26(soon to be 27) heroes deep

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Bumper Stickup posted:

Doomfist says Hi.
There's still hope for Doomfist at least. Fix his hitbox troubles and he can be useful again without too many tweaks. Mei and Sombra are a similar story in terms of it just being number changes. Hanzo sounds like he's getting a few skill changes that might be better? Who knows. Sym needs massive changes to stop new players crying about auto aim and her hit box but also stop good players tilting as soon as she's picked. I'd still say delete her but I can understand wanting to salvage something and maybe the second overhaul will do the trick! Right?

I've gotten used to the Blizzard system of constant tweaks to shift the meta and can even see some of its benefits. It can be frustrating too though so can see how it might put some people off.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

If they fix doomfist I will never not play him

It’ll be like the old days where tusen owned all these n00bs

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I think we can all agree that there is at least one hero in the game that pretty much nobody wants on their team in any circumstance and that’s not good when your hero cast is 26(soon to be 27) heroes deep

Speak for yourself. I hate all DPS players equally.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
Also, to the player looking to pick up Mei as their first character in quickplay... She is one of the few characters on the lineup that can cause real grief to both enemy, and allied team members. You know, like a little 'time out' in spawn until they cool off.

Mei is a lot more powerful in lower tiers, where people trickle in and have low spacial awareness and aim. It is easy to ice wall a 2 versus you situation into a one versus one in your favour, then an additional 1 versus 1 when the ice wall breaks.

Just don't expect that to work in coordinated teams, where teams will travel in groups and focus-fire you down...

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Sombra has been a strong, though map-dependant, hero for the past 9 months or so. But the issues that Blizzard has with her is a) her gameplay loop is not very intuitive and b) results in Negative Player Experiences (NPE). The second reason is generally the big reason why they change heroes up. It was the reason for the Mercy, D.Va and Hog changes. Every other hero on the up for changes list has, or has had, a NPE element that they want to try to change while still keeping the hero a viable pick. Hanzo and Sombra have seen not-insignificant amounts of play at pro level, but both are considered 'throw-picks' on ladder because of the relative difficulty that it takes to play those heroes effectively. Plus you also get people complaining about Scatter arrow and 'Tree trunk sized arrows'. Mei was incredibly oppressive on control points pre-ult charge nerf, when she had an ult that could cover the entire point, and could get it up twice every teamfight. Doomfist was pretty balanced overall on release, but because of whining because of his OHK, he got nerfed significantly.

They know what they want from these heroes, but the community response to the heroes has been generally negative for one reason or another, so they're making changes to those heroes as a result. Same thing they did when they changes D.Va, Mercy and Hog.

FWIW, I think the changes to Sombra will be an overall nerf and will gut her usage in pro play, but will be an overall buff for the people that play her like invisible tracer. She's trying to slot into a niche that is already occupied by the most versatile dps in the game, and there will be no reason to pick Sombra over Tracer, whereas previously she was a great addition in place of a healer to run a triple dps comp.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Willie Tomg posted:

Your friends stopped playing because Symmetra isn't very good above Plat and Sombra has a weird gameplay loop? They probably just got bored dude.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My friends quit playing because the overwatch community is toxic as gently caress and games like PUBG exist where you don’t hear your pubbies bitching at you

It doesn’t help that they thought they were really good and that ELO hell exists why am I stuck in gold??? :v:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

My friends quit playing because the overwatch community is toxic as gently caress and games like PUBG exist where you don’t hear your pubbies bitching at you

It doesn’t help that they thought they were really good and that ELO hell exists why am I stuck in gold??? :v:

I rather drown then play PUG for a single minute.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

My OW happiness increased tenfold when I started /hidechat every time I start the game. Y’all should try it

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What the gently caress, I did mostly good on my placements, only losing four games, but my rank fell to gold. It seems to match my score over in competitive CTF which I got bad luck with teams where people rage quit after a single flag cap. It feels like there is no way to raise your rank these days, my luck always give me a bad team and won't let me get a win ever anymore so I go further down. Probably not going to bother with competitive at this point now.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Rirse posted:

What the gently caress, I did mostly good on my placements, only losing four games, but my rank fell to gold. It seems to match my score over in competitive CTF which I got bad luck with teams where people rage quit after a single flag cap. It feels like there is no way to raise your rank these days, my luck always give me a bad team and won't let me get a win ever anymore so I go further down. Probably not going to bother with competitive at this point now.

One season I won 8/10 placement matches (and drew the other 2) as jesse mcgee with gold dmg/elims for most of them and placed around 1900 or so. The next season I played Ana, won 5/10 placements (and probably had silver healing half the time), and started at 2300. Placements are wack (or look at other poo poo besides medals and how well you *think* you are doing)

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

One season I won 8/10 placement matches (and drew the other 2) as jesse mcgee with gold dmg/elims for most of them and placed around 1900 or so. The next season I played Ana, won 5/10 placements (and probably had silver healing half the time), and started at 2300. Placements are wack (or look at other poo poo besides medals and how well you *think* you are doing)

Yeah I am thinking this. Even when I lost I did really good, like holding the payload in overtime for a solid minute as DVA, losing her mech like three times in the course of it. For some reason it seems to mix the competitive ctf ranking with my regular one, as the score I got is almost identical to what I have over there due to leavers. Sucks too, since I barely get any points for gold compared to platinum, which means even longer on getting a second gold gun.

[edit] Tried to do a match to get my score up...nope get another loving awful team and get 30 more points removed. I don't want to ever play competitive again. I feel way less stress in quick play where matches don't matter much.

Rirse fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 25, 2018

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

flatluigi posted:

If by actively watching you mean having a window up in the background 24/7 sure

that doesn't actually work from how I understand it

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Manatee Cannon posted:

I had it going for the entire week and got the drops. Fun fact: you'd get it from the replays at like 5am too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

And yet it does work. At least in chrome.