Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/jm_bos/status/967544159102996482

quote:

WASHINGTON — Rhode Island Governor Gina Raimondo, standing with several other Democratic governors Saturday, was fired up about her party’s prospects for winning gubernatorial races around the country this November.

“We expect the Democrats to have one of the best years we’ve had in a long time,” said Raimondo, vice chairwoman of the national group focused on electing Democratic governors, the Democratic Governors Association.

But asked a few minutes later whether she thought Republican Governor Charlie Baker’s perch is ripe for taking and whether she’d like to see him defeated, Raimondo sang a different tune.

“Charlie, I think, is very popular and is doing a good job,” she said. “I’ve enjoyed working with him, and we have a good bipartisan, collaborative relationship.”

As the nation’s governors gather in Washington this weekend, Democrats expressed excitement about their prospects for winning a good number of the 36 gubernatorial races this year. But in blue Massachusetts, not so much.

While it’s still more than eight months before the general election, comments on Friday and Saturday from leaders of the Democratic Governors Association, also known as the DGA, appeared to dim the prospect that the group might plow money into this fall’s gubernatorial race on behalf of Democrats.

Governor Jay Inslee of Washington state, who leads the DGA, indicated that antipathy toward President Trump could boost the Democratic nominee in Massachusetts.

“I think that any governor who has to respond and answer to the fact that his president is causing such devastation and chaos — if he has not stood up to that adequately, that could be a difficulty,” he said Friday at the group’s Washington headquarters. “So that remains a possibility in Massachusetts.”

Inslee said there “could be” a path to unseating Baker through Trump, but “it’s not of our making. . . . Stay tuned.”

The campaign of Democratic candidate Setti Warren, the former mayor of Newton, blasted the tepid support, in particular Raimondo’s assertion that Baker is doing a good job.

“People who are paying attention to Massachusetts know that our public transportation systems are melting down and there’s gridlock traffic everywhere,” said Warren spokesman Kevin Franck “People who are paying attention know that every single school in the Commonwealth is underfunded because of the outdated [public school funding] formula. And people who are paying attention know that Charlie Baker was just caught trying to cover up a massive tax data breach,” he said. (The Baker administration has repeatedly changed its story about a Department of Revenue blunder during which private information from thousands of business taxpayers was inadvertently made visible to other companies, potentially including competitors.)

“That shouldn’t be anyone’s definition of ‘doing a good job,’” Franck said in his statement, adding that “we’ll beat Charlie Baker” with or without the help of the DGA.

Baker, for his part, repeated a common refrain — that his job is to represent Massachusetts — when asked about Inslee’s proposition that not pushing back hard enough against Trump could cause him trouble.

“Whether you’re talking about immigration policy, or you’re talking about guns, or you’re talking about a whole host of other issues,” he said, “I’ve made my point of view quite clear when I believe the federal government, or the administration, is pursuing policies that I don’t believe are in the best interests of the Commonwealth.”

On some issues, ‘I believe the . . . administration is pursuing policies that I don’t believe are in the best interests of the Commonwealth.’

Baker pointed to his efforts with other governors in opposing the White House’s push to kill the Affordable Care Act.

“But there are many issues on which we have found common ground with the administration,” said Baker as he walked into a fund-raiser for his reelection bid in downtown Washington Friday afternoon. (The invitation called for a contribution of $1,000 per person, the maximum yearly limit.)

Securing federal approval and funding for the extension of the Green Line is a good example, he said.

The Democratic Governors Association and its GOP counterpart, the Republican Governors Association, can help swing a race by spending millions on TV ads, usually ones attacking the opposing party’s candidate. The RGA, for instance, spent more than $11 million to boost Baker in 2014.

That year, the DGA spent considerably less helping the Democratic nominee, Martha Coakley, who lost by the narrowest gubernatorial margin in Massachusetts in 50 years.

This year, two other Democrats besides Warren are running for their party’s nomination, hoping to take on Baker in November.

They are environmentalist and entrepreneur Bob Massie and onetime Deval Patrick budget chief Jay Gonzalez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
The Navy Seals botched a raid in Yemen last year and a journalist won an award for reporting on it when everybody else ignored it.

Also, the Center for American Progress wrote a competing healthcare plan to the current proposals like MFA. This article is positive about it, I think it’s fairly mediocre, and it appears to involve means-testing. It would still be a substantial alteration of the current system though and implies that establishment consensus on healthcare is moving left from Obamacare.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Knight posted:

The Navy Seals botched a raid in Yemen last year and a journalist won an award for reporting on it when everybody else ignored it.

Also, the Center for American Progress wrote a competing healthcare plan to the current proposals like MFA. This article is positive about it, I think it’s fairly mediocre, and it appears to involve means-testing. It would still be a substantial alteration of the current system though and implies that establishment consensus on healthcare is moving left from Obamacare.

I knew it was going to be Medicare Extra before I even opened the link. Willa Rogers wrote some decent posts explaining what this kind of thing actually is, but I do agree it indicates the establishment is becoming more cognizant of the grassroots. Naturally you can’t expect anything created in reaction like Extra to be especially good, but the nuts and bolts of Extra aren’t much to be proud of.

Willa Rogers posted:

it would demolish medicaid and require people to pay 10 percent toward premiums (with additional deductibles and out-of-pocket costs)

current thresholds for percentage-of-income toward premiums:

it also doesn't set rates for providers & hospitals, as current medicare does, but CAP says it would "negotiate" pricing for pharma & medical equipment.

It sounds *worse* than the ACA in some regards, and worst of all would either co-opt meaningful single-payer reform and also serve as a "medicare" failure that would be used as an excuse to never ever have meaningful reform like bernie's proposal.

It reads like a proposal more reliant upon branding and association than anything you could legitimately call a policy alternative.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Office Pig posted:

I knew it was going to be Medicare Extra before I even opened the link. Willa Rogers wrote some decent posts explaining what this kind of thing actually is, but I do agree it indicates the establishment is becoming more cognizant of the grassroots. Naturally you can’t expect anything created in reaction like Extra to be especially good, but the nuts and bolts of Extra aren’t much to be proud of.

It reads like a proposal more reliant upon branding and association than anything you could legitimately call a policy alternative.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

First I’ve heard of it. I think the important question is how obvious candidates for 2020 react to it. If the senators start jumping ship on MFA in favor of this plan then we’ll know how things stand, I suppose.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Knight posted:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

First I’ve heard of it. I think the important question is how obvious candidates for 2020 react to it. If the senators start jumping ship on MFA in favor of this plan then we’ll know how things stand, I suppose.

I prefer the timeline where they keep repackaging a bunch of sub-ACA plans and eventually just give up and draw the slip out of a hat that names an actual universal health care system.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Knight posted:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

it'll be forgotten about in a few weeks

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

The Muppets On PCP posted:

it'll be forgotten about in a few weeks

And thank god for that.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/feb/25/us-healthcare-reform-medicare-for-all

quote:

Enter Medicare Extra. CAP’s proposal is a response to these shifting winds. The new Medicare Extra program would automatically enroll anyone without other insurance. Premiums and out-of-pocket payments (eg copays and deductibles) would continue, with limits based on income.

Employers could choose to offer private coverage, or switch their employees into Medicare Extra. Notably, private insurers would get a big slice of the Medicare Extra market, enrolling millions in “Medicare Choice” coverage modeled on today’s wasteful, privatized Medicare Advantage plans, which in effect cost taxpayers “104% of per capita traditional Medicare spending” per enrollee, as noted in the Journal of the American Medical Association.

What’s not to like?

I thought it was just another way to muddy the waters around M4A but it goes the "Extra" mile of wanting to destroy Medicare as a good program. It takes the ACA's soft mandate on the mandatory purchase of private health insurance and makes it a hard enforced one under the label of Medicare. After an election cycle or two, we'd get a Republican super majority elected on the promise of destroying Medicare forever. It's actively worse than doing nothing.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Kilroy posted:

The ideal election victory for a Democrat is a 50%+1 margin with no mandate to do anything off a campaign devoid of any substance.

I think there is absolutely a faction in the Democratic leadership that wants to win just enough so they aren't absolutely cut out of the lobbyist grift along with the perks of being in the political elite but would rather be the rump party where they aren't expected to do anything except sit on their asses the majority of the time while everything collapses.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Medicare is a bad program that is good only in comparison to the rest of the poo poo system

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

What the gently caress is so hard and/or bad about a public healthcare system that consists of "you get the care you normally would, but we send the bill to the state/federal government"?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

sirtommygunn posted:

What the gently caress is so hard and/or bad about a public healthcare system that consists of "you get the care you normally would, but we send the bill to the state/federal government"?

How can someone in the 1% run a company in this situation that puts them into the .01%?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

bird food bathtub posted:

How can someone in the 1% run a company in this situation that puts them into the .01%?

pre:
PATIENT COUNSELING FOR COMMON COLD SYMPTOMS     J00       $100,000.00
It turns out any working system needs to take costs and medical necessity into account, and that is actually really hard to do. It's worth the effort but treating healthcare as some trumpy "just do single payer, bing bang, so simple!" is loving idiotic.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
The Democratic establishment would rather rule in hell than serve in heaven. They definitely want to win, they even genuinely want to pass some at least leaning leftist policy, but if the cost of that policy is they lose their cushy well paying jobs, fawning media respect, and access to the fancy dinner and cocktail party circuit...well that's a bridge too far. They don't lose any of that if the Republicans win the government, they lose it if the progressives take over the party.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Space Gopher posted:

pre:
PATIENT COUNSELING FOR COMMON COLD SYMPTOMS     J00       $100,000.00
It turns out any working system needs to take costs and medical necessity into account, and that is actually really hard to do. It's worth the effort but treating healthcare as some trumpy "just do single payer, bing bang, so simple!" is loving idiotic.

Yeah no poo poo there's complicated stuff to do on the government's and hospital's ends, but what I posted should amount to what the patient sees: I get healthcare, and the government pays for it. Instead we get piles of bullshit that heaps the complexity onto the person who may literally be dying.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 25, 2018

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

sirtommygunn posted:

Yeah no poo poo there's complicated stuff to do on the government's and hospital's ends, but what I posted should amount to what the patient sees: I get healthcare, and the government pays for it. Instead we get piles of bullshit that heaps the complexity onto the person who may literally be dying.

OK. You're 100% right. The goal of a good healthcare system should be to make it a truly public good: you're sick, you go to the doctor, give them maybe some basic information, and it's all handled for you. You never have to worry about billing because it's your right to receive good healthcare no matter how much money you've got.

But if you ask "what the gently caress is so hard about that," it turns out the answer is "almost everything." Healthcare is incredibly difficult, and a good single-payer system just means the government assumes a lot of that complexity.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

It is sad to see democrats not even put up a full offensive against Charlie Baker, but boy oh boy will it be a hard race to win. Tons of dumb resistance libs will vote for an anti Trumper Republican.

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

It says a great deal about the Democrat's priorities when they look at the situation and conclude that by not buying private insurance, you are denying these companies their right to profit and if your premiums mean some other bill doesn't get paid, your kids go hungry, and you get evicted then you'll just need to loving deal. Here's a labyrinth of bureaucratic, means-tested bullshit designed by wonks with the smoothest brains money can buy that you'll need to navigate to try and minimize the additional suffering we'll add to the daily terror and misery of your life of poverty. It reminds me of those companies that specialize in forcing the shittiest, most expensive home insurance onto people whose mortgage requires coverage and their existing insurance lapses for a microsecond but replace having a mortgage on a home with being poor and alive.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Space Gopher posted:

OK. You're 100% right. The goal of a good healthcare system should be to make it a truly public good: you're sick, you go to the doctor, give them maybe some basic information, and it's all handled for you. You never have to worry about billing because it's your right to receive good healthcare no matter how much money you've got.

But if you ask "what the gently caress is so hard about that," it turns out the answer is "almost everything." Healthcare is incredibly difficult, and a good single-payer system just means the government assumes a lot of that complexity.

I'm sorry I snapped at you, I said something poorly worded and you rightfully called me out on it, and I got mad rather than just correcting myself like a normal human being. I'll try to be less of an rear end in a top hat in the future.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Space Gopher posted:

except the most difficult to care for patients are already under the government's purview via existing single payer programs

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Crosspost to make sure you guys saw, if you already knew then namaste anyway

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Space Gopher posted:

Every single market based alternative out there is orders of magnitude more complicated than single payer. Every single means tested alternative is orders of magnitude more complicated than universal care. It should be pretty telling for everyone that one of the main concerns of the anti-single payer side of the debate is that it might hurt the economy if suddenly the massive bureaucratic apparatus to maintain the current patchwork system isn't necessary anymore.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

The Muppets On PCP posted:

except the most difficult to care for patients are already under the government's purview via existing single payer programs

I dunno that I’d argue that current healthcare systems effectively serve those people. It’s obviously better than private for profit healthcare but I wouldn’t call our current public healthcare systems optimal in most cases.

I don’t think that “healthcare policy is complicated” is a controversial statement, but the difficulty in designing an effective system is not why we don’t have public healthcare.

^ there’s a pretty good article floating around directly addressing that idea actually that I thought was really great, but I’ll be damned if I could find it right now.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Looks like the fodder for attacking Kevin de Leon, feinstein's opponent, will be over the sexual assault and harassment stuff going on in Sacramento right now. He wasn't named as ein sexmonster or anything, they're just going to try and pin it on him because it's his caucus that's dealing with it right now. Hopefully that'll backfire if he can make everyone happy, and I hope he realizes what a feather in his cap for an election it'd be to be the one cleaning up the state legislature. He's already on record as a firm advocate of "yes means yes" and he's done a lot of good stuff for CA, so I think he's got a pretty real shot at taking out the hydra.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Space Gopher posted:

But if you ask "what the gently caress is so hard about that," it turns out the answer is "almost everything."

The problem here is that a shitload of people stop at this line of thought and go "well, it's gonna be really hard to do guys, we better not even try."

And they're the ones running the Democratic party.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

WampaLord posted:

The problem here is that a shitload of people stop at this line of thought and go "well, it's gonna be really hard to do guys, we better not even try."

And they're the ones running the Democratic party.

I don’t agree with this, I think this is overly charitable actually.

We don’t have public healthcare because of lobby groups, regulatory capture, and decades of effective propaganda against the idea of public services being ingrained into the public consciousness.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

I don’t agree with this, I think this is overly charitable actually.

We don’t have public healthcare because of lobby groups, regulatory capture, and decades of effective propaganda against the idea of public services being ingrained into the public consciousness.

That's exactly what I mean by "it's gonna be really hard to do"

Standing up to donors is really hard to do, apparently.

Also lmao at the idea of public services being eeeeeeeeeevil. I'm sure tons of people are out there burning their Social Security checks because of the propaganda.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

WampaLord posted:

Also lmao at the idea of public services being eeeeeeeeeevil. I'm sure tons of people are out there burning their Social Security checks because of the propaganda.

Insert picture of old white Republican people with “keep the government out of my Medicare” protest signs.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

Insert picture of old white Republican people with “keep the government out of my Medicare” protest signs.

That's kind of my entire point. They wanted to defend their Medicare, because they actually love public services, they're just uneducated.

Despite all the propaganda, people actually do like these things. Again, this is just a marketing/messaging problem, not an insurmountable challenge to make us stop trying to achieve good things.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

"if you want to change the democratic party, support leftists in the primary!"

https://twitter.com/PalmerReport/status/967758835308929024

"HOW DARE YOU SUPPORT LEFTISTS IN THE PRIMARY!! :qq:"

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

That guy thinks he's personally followed by Obama.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Nihilist lol

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Only a truly insane person could oppose loving Feinstein.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/yamiche/status/967771774661382144

This is why Bernie’s overtures to liberals over Russiagate are pretty much pointless imo. They’ll find a reason to nail him to the wall regardless

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

WampaLord posted:

That's kind of my entire point. They wanted to defend their Medicare, because they actually love public services, they're just uneducated.

Despite all the propaganda, people actually do like these things. Again, this is just a marketing/messaging problem, not an insurmountable challenge to make us stop trying to achieve good things.

I wasn’t asserting that public healthcare can’t be done for those reasons, just that it has not yet been done for those reasons. My point was that “it’s hard” isn’t why it hasn’t been done, even if it is actually hard on a technical level.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Chomskyan posted:

This is why Bernie’s overtures to liberals over Russiagate are pretty much pointless imo. They’ll find a reason to nail him to the wall regardless

Bernie is starting to seem like a Dem version of Angrya Mainyu

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Chomskyan posted:

I think these folks aren't very common at all among liberals, fortunately. The subset of liberals that is both aware of the radical left and dislikes them is pretty small, though disproportionately represented in the media/political spheres. Most liberals probably view Sanders as just being "more liberal" than most other Democrats, which brings with it a positive association (since most liberals aren't centrists).

My interpretation of Sanders' words/actions recently has been that he just hasn't paid much attention to all these recent Russia-related accusations and was flailing around when asked about them (as opposed to whatever nefarious motive people like that twitter guy are ascribing to him).

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
This is another one of the situations where "Bernie isn't perfect, but why is he being held to a different standard?" applies.

For the folks who may be too lazy or tired of this poo poo to click through the article: Bernie claimed that one of this campaign staffers had warned the Clinton campaign over weird stuff in his social media accounts. Turns out that it was a campaign volunteer, not staffer, who warned a Clinton super PAC, not the campaign itself. That is the extent of "Bernie is promoting a false story." And sure, there is a difference between staffer and volunteer, and there is a different between the Clinton campaign and a Clinton PAC. But if that is the standard to say that someone is promoting false stories, well...

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

joepinetree posted:

But if that is the standard to say that someone is promoting false stories, well...

On the other hand, Trump in the last 14.88 seconds.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

My read on it is that its pretty evident that Mueller is going to dig up something big which while it won't get Trump out of office, will lead a lot of people to question those who ignore the Russia thing. Bernie is probably trying to get ahead of that so he doesn't look like he is either ignorant or a culprit. I trust him to play inside ball politics better within congress if only because he has been around for a very long time as an independent senator and he kinda has to know how the winds are blowing since he doesn't have a party to back him up when things go south

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I think these folks aren't very common at all among liberals, fortunately. The subset of liberals that is both aware of the radical left and dislikes them is pretty small, though disproportionately represented in the media/political spheres. Most liberals probably view Sanders as just being "more liberal" than most other Democrats, which brings with it a positive association (since most liberals aren't centrists).

My interpretation of Sanders' words/actions recently has been that he just hasn't paid much attention to all these recent Russia-related accusations and was flailing around when asked about them (as opposed to whatever nefarious motive people like that twitter guy are ascribing to him).

Her previous hard hitting journalism:

https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/721282252215357442

• Locked thread