Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Fallorn posted:

I have a pair of Sennheiser hd 650s coming in and was told a amp really helps with the sound.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

He's posting because he just bought into the massdrop for the HD650's and heard they need an amp. iirc, he doesn't have speakers yet, so he's got options as far as going with powered speakers or not........

Cool. Fallorn, if you want real advice we're going to need a total budget and plan from you. What speakers do you have in mind? Are they going to be passive or active? Where do you plan to put them relative to you- on your desktop, or nearby on stands/bookshelves? Do you want to run other inputs to them or will they be computer speakers only?

FWIW, the Magni/Modi stack isn't even the only good Schiit option here. The Fulla 2 is a combined DAC/headphone amp/preamp for $100. The Vali 2 is basically a tube version of the Magni, which might be a bit more interesting if you want a more different experience from running the HD650's 'dry'. Also, WRT the annoyance of having multiple wall-warts- there's a multi-line "floor wart" available if you want a stack but don't want to cover up multiple outlets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I have a set of Creative 4.1 speakers that I bought ~17 years ago that have since been converted to 2.1 (lost a speaker in a move) that seem to be on their last legs (they were only $150 at the time). I live in a fairly small apartment, and my desk is mostly taken up with monitors, so space is a concern. It's a gaming PC, that is also my primary media consumption device. I don't listen to much music, it's mostly TV shows, movies, and video games. And I usually put on Netflix before I go to bed, and leave the computer/speakers on all night (the Netflix doesn't auto-play).

I'm probably looking to spend about $200, and even go a higher than that if it means a substantial increase in value (substantially better sound quality, longer lifetime, etc.). I'd have difficulty seeing spending more than $350 or so if it weren't really amazing. I could probably make room for a small amp and subwoofer if I needed to. What would be the thread suggestion? I think when I asked about this a year ago and decided to stick it out, the suggestion was the JBL 305; is that still the way to go? They seem big, given my space constraints.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have HD 650's and comparing these songs in FLAC, I couldn't tell a different between my iPhone and the headphone output on my home theater receiver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu9MDqGhIak&t=229s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO4dxvguQDk

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

I have HD 650's and comparing these songs in FLAC, I couldn't tell a different between my iPhone and the headphone output on my home theater receiver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu9MDqGhIak&t=229s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO4dxvguQDk

That doesn’t mean much, unless you’ve got a particularly expensive and unique home theater receiver. HT receivers are generally way under-built per channel vs something like a stereo hi-fi receiver or amp and they usually don’t include fancy components or discrete amplification pathways in their headphone outputs.

In fact, depending on when your receiver was built, it may have a very similar off-the-shelf chip to the amplifier in your iphone behind the headphone jack. 99% of surround receivers live in entertainment cabinets under HDTVs so the headphone output’s an afterthought for most buyers/manufacturers.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Oct 18, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Electric Bugaloo posted:

That doesn’t mean much, unless you’ve got a particularly expensive and unique home theater receiver. HT receivers are generally way under-built per channel vs something like a stereo hi-fi receiver or amp and they usually don’t include fancy components or discrete amplification pathways in their headphone outputs.

In fact, depending on when your receiver was built, it may have a very similar off-the-shelf chip to the amplifier in your iphone behind the headphone jack. 99% of surround receivers live in entertainment cabinets under HDTVs so the headphone output’s an afterthought for most buyers/manufacturers.
I've also tested them on my friend's Xonar DX which has an unassailable powered headphone output and didn't find a difference.

Yes, there's a difference electrically. But an audible difference? I don't think it's really there, like 320kbps MP3 vs FLAC.

My position is that if your source is more than loud enough at 50% volume, you won't really see a benefit from additional amplification.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Oct 19, 2017

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Once you have outboard headphone amplifier disease it's incurable, might as well go ahead and buy that Emotiva power amp that you can bridge to 50WPC to the 1/4" jack.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

qirex posted:

Once you have outboard headphone amplifier disease it's incurable, might as well go ahead and buy that Emotiva power amp that you can bridge to 50WPC to the 1/4" jack.

oh gently caress I forgot about that little guy.
Wait can you seriously bridge the headphone jack to...

quote:

Headphone output power (direct drive mode):
(requires internal jumper; USE WITH CAUTION)
8 Ohms: 50 watts / channel

oh my god that's loving silly.

quote:

600 Ohms: 0.6 watts / channel
even that is a bit ridiculous.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's not all that silly, actually. Some headphones are really inefficient and need to be driven from the speaker terminals normally.

That amp just lets you drive them from the 1/4" headphone jack instead.

It's a nice little amp, the auto on/off with signal detection is unfortunately a very rare feature on amps.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Do they have one of those with an internal DAC and no fan? :haw:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
JBL LSR305 on sale for $100 each (but they are RED)

If you are ok with, or prefer, red speakers this is a GREAT deal on some incredible monitors for the money.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-...8&CJPID=4485850

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Taima posted:

If you are ok with, or prefer, red speakers this is a GREAT deal on some incredible monitors for the money.

Jesus, those things are hideous...

...and going to be on my desk in a couple of weeks. Thanks!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Taima posted:

Thanatosian posted:

Jesus, those things are hideous...

...and going to be on my desk in a couple of weeks. Thanks!

....or you could wait two weeks from the time of this posting and get a less garish version for the same amount of money from, like, a hundred different retailers.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

I think they would look pretty great under the right circumstances. It's not race car red, it's a burgundy.

The bright red version does exist as some kind of limited edition in a glossy finish, but these are different.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Taima posted:

I think they would look pretty great under the right circumstances. It's not race car red, it's a burgundy.

The bright red version does exist as some kind of limited edition in a glossy finish, but these are different.

I thought the same thing, tbh, but didn’t end up posting it or amending my original post. This matte red is much better looking to me than the glossy limited finish that came out a year or two ago.

Given that it’s JBL, you think they’d do blue and/or orange since those are their historical trademark colors.

ChineseBuffet
Mar 7, 2003
If anyone is in the market, LSR305s are $99 at Amazon right now.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

ChineseBuffet posted:

If anyone is in the market, LSR305s are $99 at Amazon right now.

And pretty much every other retailer as well. :eng101:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I've just ordered the JBL LSR305s for my PC. I get static even on my lovely bookcase speakers, so I imagine I'll need an audio interface to clean it up.

What is a cheap audio interface that I can get? Every recommendation I'm seeing calls for, like, $150 audio interfaces. I don't need any features at all. I just want to pay as little as possible, ideally no more than $25. What should I be looking at?

edit: Would this be sufficient? https://amazon.com/D03K-Digital-Analog-Audio-Converter/dp/B009346RSS

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don’t you need some kind of volume control? If you already have that then I’ve used that exact interface with an amplifier that only had analog inputs and remember it being fine.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I think I'm gonna end up going with this, which does have a pathetic little wheel for volume control: https://smile.amazon.com/Behringer-UCA202-BEHRINGER-U-CONTROL/dp/B000KW2YEI?sa-no-redirect=1

Is there a reason why I shouldn't just control the volume using my Windows volume control, though?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That volume control only works on the headphone output, not the line outs.

I would get a Focusrite Scarlett Solo or 2i2, or a Lexicon Alpha. Maybe as a refurb.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Vegetable posted:

Is there a reason why I shouldn't just control the volume using my Windows volume control, though?
Apart from the ergonomics, none whatsoever.

The Behringer is a good pick for what you want from it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Do I need a box if I'm using the LSR 305s with a PC.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Speaking of LSR305 -

I'm considering replacing my Dayton B652 with the LSR305 but I'm a little confused by the connections needed for a simple connection to my computer.

These connecters are recommended, but will I need two of them?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

me your dad posted:

Speaking of LSR305 -

I'm considering replacing my Dayton B652 with the LSR305 but I'm a little confused by the connections needed for a simple connection to my computer.

These connecters are recommended, but will I need two of them?
One. e: one of these cables, is what I mean

Thanatosian posted:

Do I need a box if I'm using the LSR 305s with a PC.
With the right cable (ie. the one me your dad linked) you can just connect them to the regular audio out of your computer. Nothing more is strictly required. Some people will experience interference problems or have questions about the quality of the digital-to-analog conversion of on board sound chips in general and want to buy an external soundcard/DAC/audio interface whatever you want to call it. But it's an optional upgrade, in essence.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

KozmoNaut posted:

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

I love mine. The 2nd gens are on sale right now for $150. Focusrite even has some 2i4 for $160 *While supplies last

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I also have a Scarlett 2i2 with my LSR305s, and use XLR to 1/4" cables. It's been working well for a couple years now

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

You can do all kinds of nutty stuff to reduce ground looping and/or interference in your system.

If you do have a ground loop you can get a ground loop isolator. I have one in my stack and it actually worked loving perfectly despite several people telling me it wouldn't do poo poo.

If you have interference from your computer to the LSR305s, you can also get a cheap powered converter box that will take the optical audio out from your computer and convert it to something like RCA to XLR into the speakers, bypassing the interference entirely until you can convert it safely away from the computer. That completely eliminated horrible interference for me for just 15-20 bucks.

I have a ludicrous/autistic setup with 4 separate devices being mixed together onto the same output to the speakers with a Schiit Magni Uber as a preamp. If anyone has questions about making dumb crap like this work, or eliminating the interference/looping that will inevitably result, I can probably help.

It's rad though. I have a Nintendo Switch, an Echo Dot, a gaming computer, and my Macbook Pro all connected to my LSR305 simultaneously and they work at the same time with no interference whatsoever.

Taima fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Nov 28, 2017

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
I'm looking to replace my old X-530. I've heard that the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 is excellent. I'm not married to a 5.1 system so would that be a good upgrade?

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
I had Promedia 5.1 system years ago and it was ridiculous, can't imagine today's version would be worse. The only speakers at the time that crushed the Klipsch in my opinion were the Logitech Z5500 (which I still use) but they don't sell them anymore :(

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Taima posted:

You can do all kinds of nutty stuff to reduce ground looping and/or interference in your system.

If you do have a ground loop you can get a ground loop isolator. I have one in my stack and it actually worked loving perfectly despite several people telling me it wouldn't do poo poo.

If you have interference from your computer to the LSR305s, you can also get a cheap powered converter box that will take the optical audio out from your computer and convert it to something like RCA to XLR into the speakers, bypassing the interference entirely until you can convert it safely away from the computer. That completely eliminated horrible interference for me for just 15-20 bucks.

I have a ludicrous/autistic setup with 4 separate devices being mixed together onto the same output to the speakers with a Schiit Magni Uber as a preamp. If anyone has questions about making dumb crap like this work, or eliminating the interference/looping that will inevitably result, I can probably help.

It's rad though. I have a Nintendo Switch, an Echo Dot, a gaming computer, and my Macbook Pro all connected to my LSR305 simultaneously and they work at the same time with no interference whatsoever.

You need to post pics/diagrams of this. I'm very curious.

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
I bought a pair of Swan D1010 IV's. Does anyone have a relatively cheap pair of desktop speaker stands that they recommend in Canada?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Just popping in again to say I love and recommend my Klipsch R-15PMs. Sound great, versatile connectivity and they make all other speakers look like trash

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I've got a set of R-15M's with an external amp and they sound amazing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Knowlue posted:

I bought a pair of Swan D1010 IV's. Does anyone have a relatively cheap pair of desktop speaker stands that they recommend in Canada?

Do you mean floorstanding speaker stands to go on either side of the desk, or stands to put on top of the desk to lift and isolate the speakers?

Your favorite online musician’s supply store probably has an affordable (<$60) set of monitor stands. For desktop use, a pair of yoga blocks can be purchased on Amazon in any color combo you want for about $20/pair.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

M_Gargantua posted:

I've got a set of R-15M's with an external amp and they sound amazing.

I really want these but gently caress me they are expensive in Canada :(

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Do you mean floorstanding speaker stands to go on either side of the desk, or stands to put on top of the desk to lift and isolate the speakers?

Your favorite online musician’s supply store probably has an affordable (<$60) set of monitor stands. For desktop use, a pair of yoga blocks can be purchased on Amazon in any color combo you want for about $20/pair.

It would be the latter. I thought about Yoga blocks, but I'm looking for something more I guess

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Knowlue posted:

It would be the latter. I thought about Yoga blocks, but I'm looking for something more I guess

More what, exactly? More isolation? More professional look? More premium material? Are you looking for something like wooden stands? Stands that let you put stuff underneath?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Knowlue posted:

I'm looking for something more I guess

I'd suggest IsoAcoustics but I'm guessing they don't meet your relatively cheap metric because I think even the cheapest set is close to as much as your Swans. I can't remember which ones I have, either the $89 or the $109 ones.

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

Not looking for a fully decked out thing. Would just like something that's a bit cleaner of a different material I suppose. Don't really have any other requirements besides lifts my speakers and not ghetto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

My Logitech z313 cord broke and I can’t replace it because it’s hardwired into the volume controller which is hardwired into the sub. I’ve been looking at the cyber acoustics 3602 . I use these speakers in a pool house(no risk of them getting wet though) so they need to have a replaceable aux cord in case it gets stepped on or something like that. Budget is like probably 80 max?