Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

So, I didn't see Nulo on the list of acceptable dry cat foods. What do people think about Nulo for good dry cat food? It's a bit better price than most of the front page products and seemed to have as good or equal ingredient lists, but then again I'm not sure if I'm looking at the label correctly here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

El Mero Mero posted:

So, I didn't see Nulo on the list of acceptable dry cat foods. What do people think about Nulo for good dry cat food? It's a bit better price than most of the front page products and seemed to have as good or equal ingredient lists, but then again I'm not sure if I'm looking at the label correctly here.

Comes off as being very good on catfooddb.com, which I use as a reference because I’m lazy as hell

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

So we weighed my 40lb pupper today - last time he was weighed he was 42lbs - and he's down to 37lbs, which is, uh. Not good! The best we can figure is that because it's been so cold and he's been working hard in the winter he's simply lost weight, so... I'm going to double his dose for a week and weigh him again.

Now, he doesn't look skinny, just...fit.

:sigh:

I'm sorry, Apollo. I hope the food works its magic and puts you back to rights real quick.

Details: He's been getting two cups a day of Iams kibble, and I'm an idiot who read the bag today and realized it said 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 cups, not...round down... He'll be getting 4 cups a day (twice a day) until he's put some weight back on.

Any tips or advice I should be aware of outside of "actually feed your dog enough, you idiot"?

7of7
Jul 1, 2008
I'm sorry if this was covered already but I checked several pages back and didn't see anything.

My cat has been eating Evo Chicken+Turkey dry food since I switched him to it from what the rescue org was feeding him around 3 years ago. He seems to like it but the guy at my local pet food shop said Evo is not being made anymore.

I can't find anything about this on the Internet other than some posts from 2015 and one Amazon review but all the stores show it as out of stock so I'm guessing it's true.

Anyway assuming it is going away can anyone recommend something with similar qualities? I checked catfooddb and it seems like the other dry foods listed in the op are lower in protein and higher in carbs or at least calories from carbs than Evo .

Somewhat related but I swear I was buying big 25-40lb bags of Evo before but everything I'm seeing for other foods is in the 15lb range. Even Evo 's site says the max is 15lb. Am I imagining things or was there a larger size before? I thought for a second I was buying dog food but the colors aren't the same.

kreyla
Dec 31, 2008
Do you guys have any opinion on Blackwood dry cat food? My mom gave Kitty a sample pouch of Blackwood's salmon and dried pea kibble for christmas, and she seems to enjoy it. Usually she gets Solid Gold Indigo Moon dry kibbles with a squirt of salmon oil on top.

Edit: nevermind, I checked catfooddb after seeing it mentioned here and Blackwood is "below average".

kreyla fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 31, 2017

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

7of7 posted:

I'm sorry if this was covered already but I checked several pages back and didn't see anything.

My cat has been eating Evo Chicken+Turkey dry food since I switched him to it from what the rescue org was feeding him around 3 years ago. He seems to like it but the guy at my local pet food shop said Evo is not being made anymore.

I can't find anything about this on the Internet other than some posts from 2015 and one Amazon review but all the stores show it as out of stock so I'm guessing it's true.

Anyway assuming it is going away can anyone recommend something with similar qualities? I checked catfooddb and it seems like the other dry foods listed in the op are lower in protein and higher in carbs or at least calories from carbs than Evo .

Somewhat related but I swear I was buying big 25-40lb bags of Evo before but everything I'm seeing for other foods is in the 15lb range. Even Evo 's site says the max is 15lb. Am I imagining things or was there a larger size before? I thought for a second I was buying dog food but the colors aren't the same.

I switched to wet several years back so I can't help with the first part, but I can confirm you aren't crazy re: giant bags of Evo cat food. We used to get giant bags from the feed store, and I think they were 35lbs? They were pretty big.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Our dog loves Simply Nourish and it doesn't wreck his gi tract, so thank you very much to the goon who recommended it.

We like it so much that we are switching our cat to it. Whats the difference between their regular grain free line and their Source line of food and "evolution diet" food? I have also read that food with "indoor" in the name is typically poorer quality, does that ring true in this line as well?

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

drat Bananas posted:

Does anyone know how long pet food class actions take? I submitted a claim during the Blue Buffalo "we don't use byproducts" "oh yes you do" fiasco back in March 2016 but the most recent thing on petfoodsettlement.com is some appeals paperwork dated July 2016. It says "This process could take some time" but over a year seems pretty long.

Holy crap guys, if you were a claimant on this check your mailbox or update your address through the website. I just got a check for $325.15! That's enough to feed my dog for over a year and a half.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
yeah we just got one for $108

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

We recently switched from EVO Grain-free Turkey & Chicken (dry) to Blue Buffalo Freedom Indoor Chicken (wet) and our cat is showing an allergic reaction by pulling out the hair near her butt. Any thoughts on what we should try next? I'd also like some guidelines how long it will take to determine if there's a new allergic reaction.

ETA: This is not the first wet cat food she's been allergic to, but I don't recall the previous brand. It was NOT one of EVO's.

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 18, 2018

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

Help! I cannot find a single cat food that won’t make my cat constipated and/or consistently throw up. Everything I’ve tried has either worked for awhile then after a week or two starts vomiting it up and popping all over my apartment. I come home from work and have to scrub the floors, bed , counters, couch, etc. it’s everywhere! He just had another episode this morning and I had to lock him in the bathroom. Could this be an allergy? I’ve taken him to the vet before and all they did was give him pain medicine and said give him pumpkin. It has cost me over a grand. I don’t want to take him back just to get the same info again. Any suggestions before I shell out another 500 bucks for a vet visit? He’s peeing and playful so no concerns there. Just the constipation and vomiting. Thank you!

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer

thebehaviorist posted:

Help! I cannot find a single cat food that won’t make my cat constipated and/or consistently throw up. Everything I’ve tried has either worked for awhile then after a week or two starts vomiting it up and popping all over my apartment. I come home from work and have to scrub the floors, bed , counters, couch, etc. it’s everywhere! He just had another episode this morning and I had to lock him in the bathroom. Could this be an allergy? I’ve taken him to the vet before and all they did was give him pain medicine and said give him pumpkin. It has cost me over a grand. I don’t want to take him back just to get the same info again. Any suggestions before I shell out another 500 bucks for a vet visit? He’s peeing and playful so no concerns there. Just the constipation and vomiting. Thank you!

Might be an idea to look into feeding meat at this point. It's what they're built for tbh.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

thebehaviorist posted:

Have you tried Science Diet for older cats? That was the key for us.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

amotea posted:

Might be an idea to look into feeding meat at this point. It's what they're built for tbh.

I considered it but with my schedule I can’t leave meat sitting out all day if they aren’t eating it. Im not home a lot. A sales associate told me it would probably be difficult. Also when I travel I only have someone to feed them once per day. I wish I could though.

thebehaviorist
Jan 11, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Have you tried Science Diet for older cats? That was the key for us.

Yeah I tried science diet too! Was hoping that would be the one but it was a disaster.

I went to Petco tonight and was recommended to feed some different proteins. They’re currently on Solid Gold so I purchased some of the ones with coconut oil and salmon, turkey, and quail. I just fed them chicken liver and coconut oil and to my surprise they both ate it up and have not thrown up yet. I didn’t know cats could eat coconut oil. They seem to like it.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

are there any automatic feeders that work with wet food? I'm a big fan of our dry automatic feeder, but I know wet food is better for my cat and would switch in a heartbeat if I knew there was a feeder I could use.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

El Mero Mero posted:

are there any automatic feeders that work with wet food? I'm a big fan of our dry automatic feeder, but I know wet food is better for my cat and would switch in a heartbeat if I knew there was a feeder I could use.

yes, but automatic feeding in this case means "opening access to a compartment" and you may have to mount or nail down the feeder somehow if your cats are good at muscling their way in

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

there is the $5k (IIRC) robo-feeder https://pawbot.com/

My friend and I were actually discussing this last night, I think there is a void in the market for something with the features of pawbot but simplified so it doesn't use an Armatron robot arm and costs < $300.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

taqueso posted:

there is the $5k (IIRC) robo-feeder https://pawbot.com/

My friend and I were actually discussing this last night, I think there is a void in the market for something with the features of pawbot but simplified so it doesn't use an Armatron robot arm and costs < $300.

Yeah. These feeders are all dumb because they assume they need to accomodate a can. You could design a bag that people can empty cans into that fits into a micro refrigeration unit with a nozzle and a timed control.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Looks like I will be getting my dogs onto Royal Canine Renal per vet advice. Is chewy.com the best place/price to buy from?

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

tangy yet delightful posted:

Looks like I will be getting my dogs onto Royal Canine Renal per vet advice. Is chewy.com the best place/price to buy from?

Yes.

nulldev1ce
Aug 16, 2002
Shiny Globule
This isn't so much a nutrition-related inquiry, but here goes. We feed our kitty this stuff: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZZRFJJF ZiwiPeak wet food from New Zealand. The other day, after a trip to the vet for routine maintenance, she was feeling lousy after the shots, so I brought her breakfast in bed. I wanted to take the chill off the stuff after it had been in the fridge for a day (we give her half a can a day or thereabouts) so I set it to nuke for 10 seconds in the microwave. It only got about 3 seconds because it popped and sparked like the 4th of July so I stopped it immediately.

I've occasionally microwaved cat food over the years for kittens or ailing kitties and never had that happen. I get that there are minerals and such in the food, but what the hell? I did a cursory search and saw that a few others have experienced this, but the responses were all "oh you should NEVER microwave cat food, it ruins it!" or "you will burn your cat's face off" or "the brand you're using is straight up poison and you should burn in hell for feeding it to your cat at all" etc. I'm just curious about which ingredient(s) would cause the light show.

(She ate it all happily. Maybe she liked the little charred bits.)

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

nulldev1ce posted:

This isn't so much a nutrition-related inquiry, but here goes. We feed our kitty this stuff: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B06ZZRFJJF ZiwiPeak wet food from New Zealand. The other day, after a trip to the vet for routine maintenance, she was feeling lousy after the shots, so I brought her breakfast in bed. I wanted to take the chill off the stuff after it had been in the fridge for a day (we give her half a can a day or thereabouts) so I set it to nuke for 10 seconds in the microwave. It only got about 3 seconds because it popped and sparked like the 4th of July so I stopped it immediately.

I've occasionally microwaved cat food over the years for kittens or ailing kitties and never had that happen. I get that there are minerals and such in the food, but what the hell? I did a cursory search and saw that a few others have experienced this, but the responses were all "oh you should NEVER microwave cat food, it ruins it!" or "you will burn your cat's face off" or "the brand you're using is straight up poison and you should burn in hell for feeding it to your cat at all" etc. I'm just curious about which ingredient(s) would cause the light show.

(She ate it all happily. Maybe she liked the little charred bits.)

Iron, magnesium, selenium-- the ones from the metals group in the periodic table are what you're looking at.

Any time you get minerals in dense moist food they can spark-- I've had it happen with green beans. The food's still safe, just a bit burn at the arc spots.

I microwave our cat's second wet food serving daily, mixing it up so there are no hot spots after of course. You're fine to keep doing it. Maybe turn the power down if you're worried about more fires?

nulldev1ce
Aug 16, 2002
Shiny Globule

effika posted:

Iron, magnesium, selenium-- the ones from the metals group in the periodic table are what you're looking at.

Any time you get minerals in dense moist food they can spark-- I've had it happen with green beans. The food's still safe, just a bit burn at the arc spots.

I microwave our cat's second wet food serving daily, mixing it up so there are no hot spots after of course. You're fine to keep doing it. Maybe turn the power down if you're worried about more fires?

Wow, I'm gonna get some green beans next time I go shopping!

Thanks for the info/advice.

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

ur jiri3-pax(PAD)-ra2 al-tukur2?-re
gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2
a-ra-/ab-gig-ga\-[(X)]-e-ce

- Wisdom of the ages.
I haven't been to a Petco in awhile and was surprised when I saw they carry Tikipet! For cats AND dogs? :0
I have been slowly topping my dogs dry with the Tikidog pouches, they smell awful but I guess that is how you know they like it?!

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Something I don’t understand and need help with. My cats constantly act hungry even though they’re given the proper amount of calories (I did a lot of math) and they are all the proper weight—all around 10 lbs except one who is 12.5/13 but he’s always been like that. He’s very fluffy and that is also his name. They’re eating an expensive food that I honestly don’t remember the name of right now because I store it in airtight food tubs. Anyways, I feed them 2x a day with the proper calories. I fed them 3 hours ago and now they’re acting like they’re starving. Is it something in the food (cocaine?) that’s making them do this? I am honestly thinking they’re putting something in the food that makes them want it desperately. I used to feed them Evo and they didn’t act like this but Evo was discontinued so now I’m using this Nature’s Something and now they’re acting like they’re starving.

I have tried various feeders before when I had to go out of town overnight but they just stuff themselves and have horrible diarrhea due to that so that’s not an option.

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Mar 8, 2018

Beyond Satire
Oct 18, 2014
I adopted a 2yo cat just over a month ago and in that time he's horked up two hairballs. I'm brushing him much more frequently now with a slicker brush, which is a bit of a battle and I also wanted to switch his food.

He was eating Hills Science Diet Chicken biscuits for Adult cats but switched him over to the hairball version in the same product line tonight. The salesperson in the store said it was the same ingredients so I don't need to worry about a slow transition. I've just realised its a different shape and colour so am worried that may not have been the best advice.

Do I need to be concerned or was the salesperson right?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Beyond Satire posted:

I adopted a 2yo cat just over a month ago and in that time he's horked up two hairballs. I'm brushing him much more frequently now with a slicker brush, which is a bit of a battle and I also wanted to switch his food.

He was eating Hills Science Diet Chicken biscuits for Adult cats but switched him over to the hairball version in the same product line tonight. The salesperson in the store said it was the same ingredients so I don't need to worry about a slow transition. I've just realised its a different shape and colour so am worried that may not have been the best advice.

Do I need to be concerned or was the salesperson right?

Should be fine, the worst is maybe gross poops for a week or two

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love

Thin Privilege posted:

Something I don’t understand and need help with. My cats constantly act hungry even though they’re given the proper amount of calories (I did a lot of math) and they are all the proper weight—all around 10 lbs except one who is 12.5/13 but he’s always been like that. He’s very fluffy and that is also his name. They’re eating an expensive food that I honestly don’t remember the name of right now because I store it in airtight food tubs. Anyways, I feed them 2x a day with the proper calories. I fed them 3 hours ago and now they’re acting like they’re starving. Is it something in the food (cocaine?) that’s making them do this? I am honestly thinking they’re putting something in the food that makes them want it desperately. I used to feed them Evo and they didn’t act like this but Evo was discontinued so now I’m using this Nature’s Something and now they’re acting like they’re starving.

I have tried various feeders before when I had to go out of town overnight but they just stuff themselves and have horrible diarrhea due to that so that’s not an option.

My gut reactions is they're being cats and like the food and are trying to get you to give them more. Mine will beg for food when I'm in the kitchen, and when her food time is near, even if there's food in her bowl (like this morning), .

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe

Thin Privilege posted:

One of mine does the exact same thing. I think it's just cats being cats.

eager beaver
Jan 13, 2004
I SHOULD BUY A NEW AVATAR. GIVE THE FORUMS ALL MY MONEY.
Not sure if this is a food question or a dog question, but I'm kinda at a loss for what to do, so I appreciate any input. I adopted a rescue dog about 3 months ago, at the vet she was housed at she was on Science Diet Light Chicken & Barley, and I know SD is a pretty crappy food so I wanted to switch her off that. I tried Merrick Chicken & Sweet Potato, going with the gradual mixing the new food in, but once I got to 50/50 she started getting really runny poop so I scaled it back and went even more gradual. I could never get her past 50/50 without her getting runny poop so I figured eh, try a different food, so I went with Blue Buffalo Chicken & Brown Rice, again with VERY gradual mixing of the new food in. Got to 50/50 with some soft poops here and there but nothing bad so I kept upping the ratio.

Anyway, I finally ran out of SD about three weeks ago, when I was at a ratio of 75/25 new/old food, and didn't want to buy a new bag of SD so I just went 100% Blue Buffalo, she had runny poop for a day or two, then solid poop for a few days, then back to runny, then solid... yeah it's been in this pattern since then. I've eliminated EVERYTHING else out of her diet (treats for training are just her regular food now, took away her antler... everything). And I still get the same pattern... good poop for a day or two, runny poop for a day or two.

I'm tempted to just go back to the Science Diet and start over again. She always had good poops for the first two weeks after I got her when she was just on SD. It's frustrating because she's a perfect dog otherwise, maybe she just has a sensitive stomach? Should I try a Limited Ingredient food? Try another source of protein?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

eager beaver posted:

Not sure if this is a food question or a dog question, but I'm kinda at a loss for what to do, so I appreciate any input. I adopted a rescue dog about 3 months ago, at the vet she was housed at she was on Science Diet Light Chicken & Barley, and I know SD is a pretty crappy food so I wanted to switch her off that. I tried Merrick Chicken & Sweet Potato, going with the gradual mixing the new food in, but once I got to 50/50 she started getting really runny poop so I scaled it back and went even more gradual. I could never get her past 50/50 without her getting runny poop so I figured eh, try a different food, so I went with Blue Buffalo Chicken & Brown Rice, again with VERY gradual mixing of the new food in. Got to 50/50 with some soft poops here and there but nothing bad so I kept upping the ratio.

Anyway, I finally ran out of SD about three weeks ago, when I was at a ratio of 75/25 new/old food, and didn't want to buy a new bag of SD so I just went 100% Blue Buffalo, she had runny poop for a day or two, then solid poop for a few days, then back to runny, then solid... yeah it's been in this pattern since then. I've eliminated EVERYTHING else out of her diet (treats for training are just her regular food now, took away her antler... everything). And I still get the same pattern... good poop for a day or two, runny poop for a day or two.

I'm tempted to just go back to the Science Diet and start over again. She always had good poops for the first two weeks after I got her when she was just on SD. It's frustrating because she's a perfect dog otherwise, maybe she just has a sensitive stomach? Should I try a Limited Ingredient food? Try another source of protein?

Try a different protein. One of my dogs had this same issue. Took chicken out of her diet and her stools got normal almost immediately. Chicken has become a known allergen for a lot of dogs in recent years, it’s hard to avoid since it’s in so many products. Also try giving a spoonful or two of plain canned pumpkin once a day with her food.

eager beaver
Jan 13, 2004

Super Grocery Kart posted:

Try a different protein. One of my dogs had this same issue. Took chicken out of her diet and her stools got normal almost immediately. Chicken has become a known allergen for a lot of dogs in recent years, it’s hard to avoid since it’s in so many products. Also try giving a spoonful or two of plain canned pumpkin once a day with her food.

Thanks! Trying a different protein was on my mind, but since she was fine with the SD chicken I guess I sort of ruled it out... although maybe all the fillers in the SD made her poop normal. I also did start trying the canned pumpkin last Friday with no results yet. Good poops Friday/Saturday, runny poops since then. Same pattern, pretty much.

Did you make the switch to a different protein immediately or do the gradual mixing of foods?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

eager beaver posted:

Thanks! Trying a different protein was on my mind, but since she was fine with the SD chicken I guess I sort of ruled it out... although maybe all the fillers in the SD made her poop normal. I also did start trying the canned pumpkin last Friday with no results yet. Good poops Friday/Saturday, runny poops since then. Same pattern, pretty much.

Did you make the switch to a different protein immediately or do the gradual mixing of foods?

It was kind of gradual. I have two dogs and the other has had diarrhea like once in his life. His poops are always solid, he doesn’t even fart. They were both eating exactly the same things so it was a gradual process of trying different things to see what was affecting one but not the others. Once I had narrowed it down to chicken though, I took her off of it pretty quick. Some dogs also just have sensitive tummies. She still occasionally gets runny poops but I’d say maybe 2 or 3 times a month rather than almost every day before the diet change. Sorry to hear the pumpkin isn’t working; it’s usually a quick fix for a lot of dogs.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Also, just thinking. How old is she? Has your vet run a fecal on her? Might help to rule out anything viral or bacterial going on.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

eager beaver posted:

Thanks! Trying a different protein was on my mind, but since she was fine with the SD chicken I guess I sort of ruled it out... although maybe all the fillers in the SD made her poop normal.
If the “fillers” are making your dog’s stool normal, are “fillers” really a bad thing? Some dogs do better on higher fiber foods, for example. I would probably just feed the science diet if that agrees with her. Your dog is not intolerant to chicken if science diet agrees with her, but she might be intolerant to super high protein/fat diets, which plenty of dogs are.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Bremma posted:

My gut reactions is they're being cats and like the food and are trying to get you to give them more. Mine will beg for food when I'm in the kitchen, and when her food time is near, even if there's food in her bowl (like this morning), .

Flying Leatherman posted:

One of mine does the exact same thing. I think it's just cats being cats.

Yeah that was my gut feeling too, I guess I was just nervous cause of the food change and worrying about my cattes :ohdear:. I got a new bag so I know the name now, It’s called Natures Variety Instinct Original grain free chicken. Y’all can try it out, they have it at Petsmart. It’s the same cost as evo and the other fancy foods but like the other high calorie ones you feed less so it’s the same price as getting Purina etc yadda yadda you know what I mean.

eager beaver
Jan 13, 2004

Super Grocery Kart posted:

Also, just thinking. How old is she? Has your vet run a fecal on her? Might help to rule out anything viral or bacterial going on.

She's about 1, give or take a few months, since she's a rescue. I haven't taken her to the vet because it hasn't been diarrhea (like, liquid water-style poops), just soft and sometimes runny poops and only for 2 days max before it gets normal for a day or two then back to the same soft runny stuff. And she's acting normal otherwise. The rescue also housed her at a vet that had a ton of paperwork on her that said she was clean when I picked her up a little over two months ago.

Crooked Booty posted:

If the “fillers” are making your dog’s stool normal, are “fillers” really a bad thing? Some dogs do better on higher fiber foods, for example. I would probably just feed the science diet if that agrees with her. Your dog is not intolerant to chicken if science diet agrees with her, but she might be intolerant to super high protein/fat diets, which plenty of dogs are.

This thought had crossed my mind, as well, that the high protein/fat foods were too rich for her. I originally tried to switch her to Merrick Grain-Free but after the first bout of randomly soft/runny poop I thought maybe the Blue Buffalo Chicken & Rice would be a better choice since it wasn't totally grain free and would be easier on her system.

So, yeah, a vet visit is probably in order and if that comes back clean then probably a switch back to SD for a bit and I'll go from there. If I still get runny poops then switch to a different protein... if not, then are there any good high-fiber foods that don't have corn in them?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

eager beaver posted:

She's about 1, give or take a few months, since she's a rescue. I haven't taken her to the vet because it hasn't been diarrhea (like, liquid water-style poops), just soft and sometimes runny poops and only for 2 days max before it gets normal for a day or two then back to the same soft runny stuff. And she's acting normal otherwise. The rescue also housed her at a vet that had a ton of paperwork on her that said she was clean when I picked her up a little over two months ago.

This thought had crossed my mind, as well, that the high protein/fat foods were too rich for her. I originally tried to switch her to Merrick Grain-Free but after the first bout of randomly soft/runny poop I thought maybe the Blue Buffalo Chicken & Rice would be a better choice since it wasn't totally grain free and would be easier on her system.

So, yeah, a vet visit is probably in order and if that comes back clean then probably a switch back to SD for a bit and I'll go from there. If I still get runny poops then switch to a different protein... if not, then are there any good high-fiber foods that don't have corn in them?

I had very similar issues with my dog that my vet suspected were issues of too rich food. The food she suggested still causes problems, but a helpful goon in here suggested the Simply Nourish grain free line from Petsmart. I do that coupled with a chicory pumpkin based digestive supplement in dry treat form by Zukes and now the only time he has soft poops it's if he gets into something or drinks gross puddle water at the park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Both my rescue pups had a bought of nightmarish diarrhea when switching them from shelter food to other food. My vet said it wasn't a big deal unless it continued and wasn't getting better while on only the new food.

The shelter sent the first dog home with a small bag of food and I tapered the food over the whole bag. She still poo poo on my floor once and had soft poops for a while during the switch. I got the second dog from a different shelter, further away, and it was a little chaotic picking her up. I didn't get any food for her so I just started her on the same food my other dog eats. She also poo poo all over my floor once, almost immediately, but it was fine within the week.

What does your vet say?