Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lmao

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Yes, how dare he progress space tech more in five years than it had gone in the past twenty

The gently caress are you on about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
I only fault Elon Musk for casually taking too much credit away from his engineers.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tom Mueller: it would be really cool if we could build a rocket engine that could be throttled and restarted in midair, and the software systems required to use it as a descent engine.

Elon Musk: you should do that.

Mueller: okay. It will be a big challenge, though, and I don't know if I can do it

Musk: hmm. Have you tried working on it really hard?

(Years later)

Mueller: phew, I figured it out.

Musk: I knew we could do it!

Nerds: what an incredible inventor that Musk is, like a real life comic book man

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Tom Mueller: it would be really cool if we could build a rocket engine that could be throttled and restarted in midair, and the software systems required to use it as a descent engine.

Mueller: okay. It will be a big challenge, though, and I don't know if I can do it

(Years later)

Nerds: what an incredible inventor that Musk is, like a real life comic book man

Lol

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

obviously they meant to post that in buttcoin

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Sagebrush posted:

(Years later)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sagebrush posted:

(Years later)

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
this is several years old but apparently peter thiel has been diversifying his supervillain portfolio

Thiel’s Breakout Labs -- which is part of the Thiel Foundation and awards small rounds of funding for research ideas -- gave a grant of $300,000 to a Canadian inventor who’s attempting to harness human-made tornados to generate energy. The company is called AVEtec, and the technology is dubbed the Atmospheric Vortex Engine (AVE).

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
is that a way to harness atmospheric thermal energy or something.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

wide stance posted:

I only fault Elon Musk for casually taking too much credit away from his engineers.

truly he is stebe reborn

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

this is several years old but apparently peter thiel has been diversifying his supervillain portfolio

Thiel’s Breakout Labs -- which is part of the Thiel Foundation and awards small rounds of funding for research ideas -- gave a grant of $300,000 to a Canadian inventor who’s attempting to harness human-made tornados to generate energy. The company is called AVEtec, and the technology is dubbed the Atmospheric Vortex Engine (AVE).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-6VLy_Qr2U

amazing

http://vortexengine.ca/PPP/AVE_Basic_Introduction.pdf

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

anyone else getting an Alex Chiu vibe off those graphics

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

President Beep posted:

is that a way to harness atmospheric thermal energy or something.
someone once built a machine to do just that but it was destroyed by don quixote

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

why is it in a cooling tower

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ArmZ posted:

why is it in a cooling tower

why not? read the pdf, it's the dumbest loving thing i've ever seen, and i've read your posts

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
tl;dr: tornadoes and hurricanes exist and output a lot of energy, also we can artificially create confined tornado like vortices (using a net input of energy), therefore ~*furious handwaving*~ free energy from natural thermal gradients

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

infernal machines posted:

why not? read the pdf, it's the dumbest loving thing i've ever seen, and i've read your posts

wow you've never seen your own reflection? incredible.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

thiel invests in schemes that are either from burning man and/or the back of an issue of popular science

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

tl;dr: tornadoes and hurricanes exist and output a lot of energy, also we can artificially create confined tornado like vortices (using a net input of energy), therefore ~*furious handwaving*~ free energy from natural thermal gradients

if the documentary twister taught me anything it’s that tornadoes are v hard to work with & predict.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

President Beep posted:

if the documentary twister taught me anything it’s that tornadoes are v hard to work with & predict.

*straps belt to water pipe*

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ArmZ posted:

wow you've never seen your own reflection? incredible.

Kaboom

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
not what I expected when I heard "ave" and canadian.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

TerminalRaptor posted:

not what I expected when I heard "ave" and canadian.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

President Beep posted:

*stubbornly continues to repost tornado-related craigslist jo party ad*

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Sagebrush posted:

(Years later)

A good post

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

they claim to use waste heat from existing power plants to make the vortex

seems like there could be unforeseen consequences from creating a giant twister inside a nuclear power plant but idk im sure it's fine

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there's that and the whole, if you have enough waste heat and temperature differential to do that, why not use any one of the hundreds of not loving pants on head stupid ways of converting it into mechanical action?

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

*stubbornly continues to repost tornado-related craigslist jo party ad*

speaking of craigslist JOing and weird sources of energy I hope JO crystal guy survived the hurricane

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
everyone everyone you're missing the big picture:

Peter Thiel is wasting his money on this thing.

no matter what else, that is a net good

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
It’s not really a waste when he lobbies a government into installing it and makes a sweet payday, working or not

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Caganer posted:

speaking of craigslist JOing and weird sources of energy I hope JO crystal guy survived the hurricane

it would’ve actually been worse, had it not been for this positive energy warrior facing off the storm, blasting it with bro-jizz powered JO hadokens.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

something related to this but actually useful and working is just to build a really tall tower and use the updraft caused by the thermal gradient between the top and the bottom to drive turbines https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_updraft_tower

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

*beckons you closer*

it’s free energy

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

(Years later)

i am no defender of elon "elon musk" musk or his companies, and i am hilarified by the popular reaction to what his companies do and the ridiculous popular concpetion of him as tony stark

and it is absurd that musk gets any credit as a inventor for this, that is very lol worthy

but from my limited glancing at this, musk seems to have been willing to fund years-long basic scientific research for something that is ostensibly worth doing, not a guaranteed success, with not a guaranteed return on investment, and though i woudl prefer my taxes go to this instead of a private company doin git, thats pretty significant on its own

i mean "gets undue credit for funding necessary basic science research" is not really defensible, but "funds necessary basic science research" is pretty good all things considered with the rest of "tech" culture

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i don't think i ever suggested that it's bad that spacex is making these rockets

it's just dumb that all these I loving Love Science nerds fall over themselves to fellate Ol' Musky, whose in toto contribution was to spot the company a bunch of money and tell them to build rockets, and don't even know who Tom Mueller (or any other member of the engineering crew) is

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
agreed completely :patriot:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
afaik the SpaceX Merlin engine is based on an engine NASA was partnered with TRW to research and Meuller was on the development team for

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TR-106

and when you consider this is all descended from TRWs lunar lander engine things start making a lot of sense

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

lancemantis posted:

I still don’t know why Americans buy smart cars

you can rent them by the minute in NYC. Every other driver on the road has the middle-school bully mode kick in and gets extremely angry at the fact that something that derpy exists and is driving on the streets, just asking to be dominated by your Corolla.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

i don't think i ever suggested that it's bad that spacex is making these rockets

it's just dumb that all these I loving Love Science nerds fall over themselves to fellate Ol' Musky, whose in toto contribution was to spot the company a bunch of money and tell them to build rockets, and don't even know who Tom Mueller (or any other member of the engineering crew) is

reminder that musk is a net negative on spacex's operation as a whole since he constantly throws the whole production into chaos because he'll come in periodically and demand everything be done completely differently and then leave

you know, the one thing you don't want to do to a loving aerospace thing that relies on reproducible processes to work well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

ate all the Oreos posted:

reminder that musk is a net negative on spacex's operation as a whole since he constantly throws the whole production into chaos because he'll come in periodically and demand everything be done completely differently and then leave

you know, the one thing you don't want to do to a loving aerospace thing that relies on reproducible processes to work well

well known private funded space venture with billions in government backing, spacex

hes so smart!!!!!!!!