Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Gort posted:

They're not necessarily cheating, but they'd be paying 284% of the normal fleet upkeep at that level of command limit. Do they have the minerals/energy to do that?

They mean the Fleet command limit, not the Empire's ship cap. Is it possible to go over a fleet's cap limit? I haven't tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Dongattack posted:

Thanks! Yeah, they are cheating very hard. 539/190 command limit on their fleet. Man that really kills all fun i was having up until this point. It's okay if its a loving endgame crisis or something, but not a equivalent empire on normal difficulty.

Are those the marauders (always hostile to everyone, insane stacks from day one) or just another empire?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Gort posted:

They're not necessarily cheating, but they'd be paying 284% of the normal fleet upkeep at that level of command limit. Do they have the minerals/energy to do that?

I looked again and it's a "Federation Fleet", i have no idea how they work cause i have never made a federation in this game, maybe it's a combination of ships from all the federation members? They aren't paying the upkeep penalty, so it seems likely that it works something like that. But it's still a single fleet almost 300% above the fleet capacity cap.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Galaga Galaxian posted:

They mean the Fleet command limit, not the Empire's ship cap. Is it possible to go over a fleet's cap limit? I haven't tried.

I think that's a hard limit.

Dongattack posted:

I looked again and it's a "Federation Fleet", i have no idea how they work cause i have never made a federation in this game, maybe it's a combination of ships from all the federation members? They aren't paying the upkeep penalty, so it seems likely that it works something like that.

Yeah, federation fleets are made up of contributed ships from all the federation members.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Gort posted:

I think that's a hard limit.

You sure can't beat it in the fleet manager, anyway.

Repeating my question about the WiH for a new page because I'm really curious:

Shugojin posted:

Also, how is the War in Heaven supposed to work now? It seems to just hit war weariness 100 really fast and then end as a wet fart because of the -1000 on the main victory condition. Do they re-war after a while or what?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

Yeah. If you somehow manage to take (and hold) their only world, their empire will cease to exist. No different than any other civ.

That's really interesting. I think I could take them in a fight, though it may take a while to get them to 100% WE considering they are in federation with another empire, so I'd have to fight them as well. Or would they jump straigh to surrender if I take their only planet?

This is the empire by the way (Mishar Realm). Wormhole opens up 1 jump away from their homeworld. I have a listening post in the wormhole system so I have good intel on them.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
You can use the AI fleet size cheating to your advantage if you join a federation. I had a game where I built up the fed fleet into two full cap size fleets while I had it, then when I got it back the AI had helpfully merged both into one fleet that I could use to wrecking ball the galaxy.

That said, managing federation fleets is a pain in the rear end right now because as far as I can tell you straight up cannot add federation fleet designs to a fleet unless they're already part of it. So you have to build a federation design, merge it into an existing fleet, then change the number of ships you want and reinforce. Then you have to do the whole song and dance again any time you mess with the designs.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
What options do i have to hamper their ability to field such huge federation fleets? I would have to move every last ship i have to a single location in the galaxy to beat it and i can't keep everything else undefended every time i have to face the federation fleet.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Dongattack posted:

What options do i have to hamper their ability to field such huge federation fleets? I would have to move every last ship i have to a single location in the galaxy to beat it and i can't keep everything else undefended every time i have to face the federation fleet.

The deal with federation fleets is that each member of the federation sacrifices a small portion of their own empire ship cap that goes to the federation, and then whoever is the current leader of the federation can control it. So, unfortunately, there isn't really a workaround other than defeating the federation members and taking away their anchorages to reduce their contribution to the federation ship cap.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

War in the Status Quo

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Gadzuko posted:

The deal with federation fleets is that each member of the federation sacrifices a small portion of their own empire ship cap that goes to the federation, and then whoever is the current leader of the federation can control it. So, unfortunately, there isn't really a workaround other than defeating the federation members and taking away their anchorages to reduce their contribution to the federation ship cap.

Hmm, well. At least with smart Gateway Placements along the front i can improve my chances for getting every fleet in a position to respond then and if i build the Sentry Array i can see them coming a mile away.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Anyone experience regular 1x Contingency (or other crisis) fleet levels? I'm on a 3x Contingency and it's 800k Guardian fleets + 340k roamers. Totally unbeatable, which if fine, I did 3x after all. Wondering though if it's not *that* much different than regular difficulty? If so seems like some balancing is needed.

Toss everything at a roamer fleet and got uh, one.:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Has anyone noticed if Pirates pretty much always use the same ship weapons/defenses configurations?

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Newbie question: Is it better to colonize the planets with higher size, and better habitability or should I do them on choke points for defense even if its slightly worse? Or do the new starbases or whatever act as the defense for the choke point?

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Anyone experience regular 1x Contingency (or other crisis) fleet levels? I'm on a 3x Contingency and it's 800k Guardian fleets + 340k roamers. Totally unbeatable, which if fine, I did 3x after all. Wondering though if it's not *that* much different than regular difficulty? If so seems like some balancing is needed.

Toss everything at a roamer fleet and got uh, one.:

Your fault for using the ugly rear end Cyclopes portraits.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Nightgull posted:

Your fault for using the ugly rear end Cyclopes portraits.

Everyone is welcome in the Space Friends Coalition of Assimilators.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Magil Zeal posted:

Knowing which options are best in which situations is part of playing it. It's a strategy game.

Yes, but as I said, expansion and exploitation of the resources in new systems is always desirable in almost any situation unless you have something else existentially critical to do with the up front costs. The question is how good it is which is fairly academic and can be easily substituted with "pick the systems with the biggest numbers first"

Like, you can work it out down to the last unit but there's no reason to other than curiosity.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Thanks for the math replies about tech costs and scaling and what's worth it.

I think another problem I have with expansion is that planets upgrade over time, those basic labs become level 1 bio or engineering labs, your newly engineered pops are now producing +10% on them, your happiness traditions and paradise dome have kicked everyone into 100% which gives a bonus, they scale up as the game goes on. Meanwhile a 3 engineering system resource will always be 3 When you're a new empire and producing like 10 of each research, that +3 engineering is great.But by the mid game even that +2 +3 +1 science system might be a net loss.

We could really use a way to boost system resources over time. I think corresponding lab and mining and power plant tech should upgrade system resources to some extent. So that +3 mineral deposit mining station is now producing +5 because you have a few levels of mining tech behind you. That +3 engineering orbital lab is now producing +4 because you researched the next level of engineering labs. This way system deposits remain relevant throughout the game. I'd love to see your race's bonuses come into play as well some how, so my +15% society people would get that +15% on their orbital labs as well. I mean all these stations are being worked by someone right?? Just apply the best bonus available to your empire, would be a nice little reward for multi-species empires.

Simply not claiming systems though isn't really an option as you're brutally punished with pirate events.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean that... really seems like just a specific dislike of the pirates as contiguity enforcers.

That is part of your rationale for having solid borders, you're paying a bit of cost to secure your territory and not need to post fleets everywhere to secure everything, which themselves will cost you energy/minerals upkeep.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
The Nomad event is broken right now, in hilarious fashion. If they find a planet to settle on within your borders they will settle down, create a nice new empire, and then instantly the colony ownership reverts to you because you have a starbase in that system and the new empire is destroyed. I was a fanatic purifier and thus I began immediately purging their population while the nomad fleet sent me a nice thank-you message as they left their people behind to die.

vvvvv I think all resource purges are broken and not awarding anything right now, although I haven't tried it myself

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 25, 2018

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
Has anyone else noticed that the resource purge option for a non-special machine empire, "Amalgamation," doesn't really work with planets you've recently conquered? As far as I know, devouring swarms don't need their conquered pops to be happy to collect the resources from eating them, but I'm not gaining any energy from the amalgamated pops because they have a ton of penalties associated with them. Even if I put fortresses on every tile of the world, the unrest wouldn't fall below 100. I've basically become an exterminator without taking that trait, as the only way to effectively get the pops off is to purge them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If I have a complaint about starbases it's that I'm not sure anything other than missiles are worth it as defensive options.

Cos, like, you don't actually have control over what they equip otherwise, while missiles are just universally good against basically everything, and you can equip them in as great a volume as medium weapon mounts. I think they're probably supposed to be balanced to be a little less numerous? But as it stands the choice between 2 good-vs-everything missile weapons (especially once it loads them with swarm missiles) and 2 maybe-good-against-some-things medium guns... that's not really a choice.

Hangars especially are weird because you only get one per slot? You get the same number as you do medium guns on the platforms so why not on the starbase?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

OwlFancier posted:

If I have a complaint about starbases it's that I'm not sure anything other than missiles are worth it as defensive options.

Cos, like, you don't actually have control over what they equip otherwise, while missiles are just universally good against basically everything, and you can equip them in as great a volume as medium weapon mounts. I think they're probably supposed to be balanced to be a little less numerous? But as it stands the choice between 2 good-vs-everything missile weapons (especially once it loads them with swarm missiles) and 2 maybe-good-against-some-things medium guns... that's not really a choice.

Hangars especially are weird because you only get one per slot? You get the same number as you do medium guns on the platforms so why not on the starbase?

What do you mean "you don't have control" over what weapons are on a starbase?

The gun modules put kinetic weapons on the base, and you can custom build the defense platforms to have whatever

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Abyss posted:

Has anyone else noticed that the resource purge option for a non-special machine empire, "Amalgamation," doesn't really work with planets you've recently conquered? As far as I know, devouring swarms don't need their conquered pops to be happy to collect the resources from eating them, but I'm not gaining any energy from the amalgamated pops because they have a ton of penalties associated with them. Even if I put fortresses on every tile of the world, the unrest wouldn't fall below 100. I've basically become an exterminator without taking that trait, as the only way to effectively get the pops off is to purge them.

There seems to be a bug with resource purging. It makes the tile the pop is on produce 8 energy or food or whatever, but you can't collect it because the pop on the tile is being purged and thus can't work.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

What do you mean "you don't have control" over what weapons are on a starbase?

The gun modules put kinetic weapons on the base, and you can custom build the defense platforms to have whatever

No, the gun modules put guns on the base, random guns, anything kinetic or energy related that will fit into a medium weapon slot. It tends to go with a sort-of-balance and favours things you've upgraded, I think, but it's not just kinetics.

As far as I can guess it seems to try for range and upgrades as well as not putting 100% of the same gun on, but that gun loadout for example performs fairly poorly against corvettes and shielded craft. Missiles work much better.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 25, 2018

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

It is time for reunification. All mankind shall rejoice.

Is this perhaps the correct time to reform the Commonwealth into something more regal? Maybe... an Imperium of Man? Also, move capital to Earth?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

the only problem is that it makes it pretty easy to specialize against. The AI will start fielding triple PD destroyers in quantity if you field too many missiles...

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So what kind of map settings are everyone using? How big and how many AI empires? Despite having a nearly literal next-door neighbor, my current game feels like there is tons of empty space between empires.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

the only problem is that it makes it pretty easy to specialize against. The AI will start fielding triple PD destroyers in quantity if you field too many missiles...

Hahaha you wish, no the guys next to me have literally thrown about five wars worth of the same missile corvette at me. And to be honest I don't think even the triple PD destroyers would work against a starbase fully loaded with swarm missiles, which while being a little bit less powerful are just as universally good.

You might be right if swam missiles weren't a thing but you'd need an entire fleet of nothing but PD to shoot down a well stocked fortress using nothing but missiles. And you still have to account for the fact that medium guns are fairly poor against corvettes too.

If we could have more control over what the fortress equips and also the option to add L and S mounts so I can put autocannons on it to deal with corvettes, that'd warm me up to gun loadouts more.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

If you like swarm missiles so much why don't you marry them

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Asking again if anyone knows what the console commands to get a nomad fleet to start talking are, since the last post kinda got swallowed. This is the first time I've ever seen one and it's just been sat in a neighbouring empires space for something like 20 years and I can't contact it or anything.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Is there a reason to directly arm the starbase vs building defense platforms?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

So are multiple fanatic ethics on AI civs a known issue?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Oldest Man posted:

Is there a reason to directly arm the starbase vs building defense platforms?

It increases the durability of the starbase and you can do both at once. The more you upgrade the starbase the more those defensive modifiers stack too.

Unless you really want the starbase to add fleet cap or something, spending money on guns makes them a hell of a lot tougher.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Why is my fleet not upgrading at this station? It's their home base:

And instead going through the wormhole one jump away to this station:

They both appear to have a shipyard, which I thought is all you need for upgrades. Same thing has happened with other fleets in the same position.

I would also like to know this. I have a fleet in my game parked right next to their home base, which has a shipyard, but they want to make like 10 jumps back to Earth when I tell them to upgrade. They're happy to repair at the local station though.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
Concerning pirates:
20 Missle and 10 Torp Vettes in a dedicated Pirate hunting fleet (after burners on everyone) get around fast and actually make Pirates useful for leveling up admirals. They even deal with the occassional pirate battleship.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

Hahaha you wish, no the guys next to me have literally thrown about five wars worth of the same missile corvette at me. And to be honest I don't think even the triple PD destroyers would work against a starbase fully loaded with swarm missiles, which while being a little bit less powerful are just as universally good.

You might be right if swam missiles weren't a thing but you'd need an entire fleet of nothing but PD to shoot down a well stocked fortress using nothing but missiles. And you still have to account for the fact that medium guns are fairly poor against corvettes too.

If we could have more control over what the fortress equips and also the option to add L and S mounts so I can put autocannons on it to deal with corvettes, that'd warm me up to gun loadouts more.
I haven't used swarm missiles much in 2.0, but arn't they shorter ranged? I like to put together cruiser/destroyer squadrons that sit at artillery range and pound bases to pieces without taking much damage.

Reminds me that the starbase will seemingly never mount torpedos, even if you have Armored Torpedos they'd rather mount Nuclear Missiles.

i usually kit my defense platforms with 1 s section full of autocannons for this reason.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I haven't used swarm missiles much in 2.0, but arn't they shorter ranged? I like to put together cruiser/destroyer squadrons that sit at artillery range and pound bases to pieces without taking much damage.

Reminds me that the starbase will seemingly never mount torpedos, even if you have Armored Torpedos they'd rather mount Nuclear Missiles.

i usually kit my defense platforms with 1 s section full of autocannons for this reason.

Nnnnope, they have 100 range, slightly more tracking, and 50 health, they just do a bit less damage and lack the +25% hull specialization. Range being the other reason i like using missiles because the last thing you want is to be outranged.

I think part of the thing is that missile/PD interaction is a matter of critical mass, X amount of PD will destroy Y amount of missiles but if you have more than Y missiles they will get through and destroy some of the PD craft creating a snowball effect. Basically while it gives you the ability to completely negate missile weaponry it relies on you really cutting out a lot of them because otherwise you're sacrificing your damage potential against the enemy without significantly cutting their effectiveness against you, so the more missiles you use, the better they are and the harder they are to defend against.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 26, 2018

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

King Doom posted:

Asking again if anyone knows what the console commands to get a nomad fleet to start talking are, since the last post kinda got swallowed. This is the first time I've ever seen one and it's just been sat in a neighbouring empires space for something like 20 years and I can't contact it or anything.

I don't think the nomads will talk to you until they actually enter your territory, you might be able to communicate if you take that system but they won't do anything interesting if they're just sitting there. Also:

Gadzuko posted:

The Nomad event is broken right now, in hilarious fashion. If they find a planet to settle on within your borders they will settle down, create a nice new empire, and then instantly the colony ownership reverts to you because you have a starbase in that system and the new empire is destroyed. I was a fanatic purifier and thus I began immediately purging their population while the nomad fleet sent me a nice thank-you message as they left their people behind to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Baronjutter posted:

<tech efficiency :words:>

My experience so far is that, in practice, it just doesn't matter.

I'm playing the big purple blob here (this is a 1000 star galaxy, so that's like 300 systems easy and about 50/60 planets). Despite expanding very aggressively throughout the game, I have consistently been ahead of or on par with every other empire- considerably ahead of most of them, in fact (only the Stolis and the Shabtaks have been anywhere close to "equivalent" in centuries, and occasionally I've found myself up against equipment two generations out of date). Now, this is a species precision-engineered to flatten everyone else in tech... but the enormous millstone I've strung around their necks hasn't actually prevented them from doing so. I don't think a normal empire would have too much trouble keeping up with the pack in similar circumstances, even if it couldn't pull ahead.

And the advantages in being large more than outweigh the downsides. Like, this war I'm in here in this screenshot. There was exactly one major fleet engagement in this war, in their capital system- two 45k fleets on my side, two 35k fleets and another 15k or so in stations on theirs. I probably should have waited until the rest of my navy was in position, but those fleets looked like they were leaving. It was a bloodbath on both sides- I lost I think ~120 fleet capacity to ~180 on theirs (plus the stations). Those two fleets I sent in were wrecked, had to immediately return to port- but the difference was, I could absorb those losses. I had another three fleets of equal size to replace them, and the minerals on hand to rebuild all the ships I'd lost. Meanwhile, the enemy was ended as a naval power.

Being huge rules.

(Unity scaling is nuts, though- I'm waiting two-three decades between each tradition now, I'm never going to get my last three ascension perks.)