Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
This was pretty funny:
https://www.reddit.com/r/HalfLife/comments/804nc4/se7enanimator_here_firstperson_weapons_animator/

quote:

This was a bit extreme and overly blown up by myself, mainly because it almost costed me my very own custom built PC, but at some point Berkan wanted me to animate an AA12 with a drum mag, which I was anxious to animate as I love shotguns, but at the same time rather suspicious, that gun would NEVER fit into the HL2 lore at all, but that aside, the god drat weapon had non other than 2 billion polygons, yes you heard me, 2 billion raw polygons for no apparent reason, I was really worried cus my computer literally shut itself down trying to open this model, and then I asked Berkan a legit question "Is this really an AA12? And why is it 2million polygons?", to his surprise apparently a 3d artist on Turbosquid (a website that hosts paid assets) lied about the weapon having a low poly and a high poly version, again, this only further fuels my doubts about Berkan's game design knowledge, you have 3d artists on your team, yet you decide on your own accord to go buy assets for no reason but because it "looked cool".

"Berkan you rat! You gave me the ol' spicy polygons!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Anyone knows if ZBlood is still on active development? I'm on ZBlood wiki and I see different versions and looks like v44 is the one I want, right?

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002
i realize this is superficial of me but why would anyone expect a halflife mod with an archiveofourown style name to be good and be surprised when it is not

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

C.M. Kruger posted:

This was pretty funny:
https://www.reddit.com/r/HalfLife/comments/804nc4/se7enanimator_here_firstperson_weapons_animator/

Daikatana arrow strikes again

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

the nucas posted:

i realize this is superficial of me but why would anyone expect a halflife mod with an archiveofourown style name to be good and be surprised when it is not

Probably the fact that it's being sold on steam. I don't understand how valve allowed it to get this far if the stolen asset thing has been known for months.

At least all the drama's entertaining. This 8k+ poly pylon is magnificent, apparently one of the causes for framerate drops in Black Mesa

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
At this point Gaben might as well fire everyone and just automate Steam altogether, not like there's much Valve seem to actually do these days

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

HolyKrap posted:

Probably the fact that it's being sold on steam. I don't understand how valve allowed it to get this far if the stolen asset thing has been known for months.

At least all the drama's entertaining. This 8k+ poly pylon is magnificent, apparently one of the causes for framerate drops in Black Mesa

Wasn’t there something like this in the original release of Final Fantasy XIV where random planters of flowers were chugging machines because they were stupid high poly?

e: yep. p sure this has happened in other games too https://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-xiv-originally-failed-because-of-flowe-1548656999

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

C.M. Kruger posted:

This was pretty funny:

:laffo: I'm dying here

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Z.A.R, a mostly-unknown russian FPS from 1998 is available a little cheaper in a Fanatical bundle at the moment

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/retro-heroes-bundle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWtJVfPXpFE

never heard of it myself, but figured someone might be interested for historical purposes?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Man that's a great price for Strife and those two Apogee titles, dunno about the rest

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Z.A.R, a mostly-unknown russian FPS from 1998 is available a little cheaper in a Fanatical bundle at the moment

never heard of it myself, but figured someone might be interested for historical purposes?
I remember playing this demo. It felt like a simplistic low-budget ripoff of Terra Nova.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Wow, seeing this makes me wish Firestarter was on steam.

Firestarter Gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88WWN-FeKgk

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Feb 26, 2018

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

So hey, fellas, if I liked similar games like "Shower With Your Dad Simulator 2015", would I also like "Hunt Down the Freeman"?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

So hey, fellas, if I liked similar games like "Shower With Your Dad Simulator 2015", would I also like "Hunt Down the Freeman"?

Both games are jokes, so the recommendation seems fair to me.

Does the main character in the screenshot with the anime hair and the G.I. Joe scar placement make you want to punch your monitor? If yes, don't buy.

If no, is your mom aware you have her credit card on file?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

treat posted:

Both games are jokes, so the recommendation seems fair to me.

Does the main character in the screenshot with the anime hair and the G.I. Joe scar placement make you want to punch your monitor? If yes, don't buy.

If no, is your mom aware you have her credit card on file?

My favorite part of the trailer is where main-character says something like, "This is what you get for loving up my face (BANG! BANG!)"

This is top-tier writing.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Finished the original Deus Ex (Revision) this weekend! It's a game you gotta learn how to play, moreso than most old FPSes I think. Like obviously you can't just go running and gunning from the start. But I also found that the game really opens up once you stop assuming that it doesn't want you to kill any NPCs... and like, you should use that sniper rifle you've been investing in.

Another lesson I've taken away is that you should suppress the urge to explore every corner, and just make a beeline for the objective once you've discovered a solution. I mean it's great to replenish your inventory, but more often than not you just uncover a redundant nanokey or whatever, and it's clear the game meant for you to just move on once you found what you were looking for.

Really dug how open-ended the game was. It kinda blew my mind when I discovered what things I could blow up, since I mostly specced in electronics and lock picking. I guess you have the freedom to make it a more shooty game if you want, but it ended up feeling more like KOTOR to me, which was cool. Occasionally the game bottlenecked my progress with a specific thing I couldn't quite get my head around (usually when a button or one of those interactive terminals blended into the background)... and it felt a bit inconsistent in whether or not an NPC explicitly told you when you were near an objective (tri-hull welds :argh:)... but overall this was a great time!

Now that I've finished it, I can only assume the endings were a big topic of discussion when Mass Effect 3 came out. It was cool how Deus Ex really allowed your actions to influence which path the ending took, and that's what a lot of people felt they had been denied in ME3.

So what were some of the main differences in Revision, other than the obvious graphical stuff?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Minidust posted:

Finished the original Deus Ex (Revision) this weekend! It's a game you gotta learn how to play, moreso than most old FPSes I think. Like obviously you can't just go running and gunning from the start. But I also found that the game really opens up once you stop assuming that it doesn't want you to kill any NPCs... and like, you should use that sniper rifle you've been investing in.

The game does care for the first mission- the quartermaster will deliver different rewards and praise/admonition if you go lethal or nonlethal. It stops caring after that, though.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Finished Half Life 2. The Hard difficulty can eat a dick. It's not actually harder, it's just actively unfair. Taking increased damage while dealing less and everything is hitscan doesn't make the dumbass lemming AI any smarter. It just means you die quicker while dashing across open ground with no cover. Considering half the guns become useless on normal difficulty it's a wonder why anyone would bother using the glock or the mp7 outside of the occasional grenade lob.

Onto episode one and two. At least here they improved the level design to better suit the type of gunplay half life does better at.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Not sure if it got posted in all the Thief talk, but here's a good video by the LGS founder on how the first game almost didn't happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzD9ldLoc3c

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Minidust posted:

So what were some of the main differences in Revision, other than the obvious graphical stuff?

You could always just play the unmodded version and find out. Having an excuse to play more Deus Ex is never a bad thing.

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002

Arcsquad12 posted:

Finished Half Life 2. The Hard difficulty can eat a dick. It's not actually harder, it's just actively unfair. Taking increased damage while dealing less and everything is hitscan doesn't make the dumbass lemming AI any smarter. It just means you die quicker while dashing across open ground with no cover. Considering half the guns become useless on normal difficulty it's a wonder why anyone would bother using the glock or the mp7 outside of the occasional grenade lob.

Onto episode one and two. At least here they improved the level design to better suit the type of gunplay half life does better at.

i remember being incredibly surprised by how terrible the AI had become back when half life 2 was released. i mean yeah the grunts in 1 were only 'smart' because of bsp pathing trickery but it was better than nothing.

i think half life source uses half life 2's ai, also, incidentally? i remember playing through it one time and when you get to the first brief surface interlude after you start fighting the military, all 8 enemies run straight at you into the room you appear in instead of throwing grenades or probing. i remember thinking it was bullshit on hard and never got any further than that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Minidust posted:

You used an overhaul mod your first time playing without knowing what it did?

site fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 27, 2018

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

site posted:

You used an overhaul mod your first time playing without knowing what it did?
I mean, my first playthrough of Deus Ex was with Shifter installed, so :shrug:

I forget who recommended installing that though. (And even then, while Shifter changes EXP gain in debatably-good-or-bad ways, it doesn't completely redo the level design like Revision does.)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Biomod isn't an overhaul, it's just a few QoL changes, and shifter even less so.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The OG Augs are pretty worthless, Biomod goes a long way towards fixing that and makes play-throughs a lot more interesting without changing the core experience and story.

Revision was neat to play through once, but different levels make for a different game.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean, I'm kind of curious about what Revision changes too, and I'm in the "played OG Deus Ex, can't be assed to play through Revision" camp.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm mostly curious about the changes to the ending. "Really allowed your actions to influence which path the ending took" is very much unlike the original game, which is almost literally the same push button get cutscene choice as ME3 (except there are several buttons per ending instead of 1 and they're more widely separated).

Ora Tzo
Feb 26, 2016

HEEEERES TONYYYY
And then you could go for a third play through with GMDX.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Regarding HL2, the Combine AI is actually capable of some fairly sophisticated tactics, but their low health and the narrow level design doesn't give them a lot of opportunities to shine. Play Minerva: Metastasis if you want to see their potential in action.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Samuel Clemens posted:

Regarding HL2, the Combine AI is actually capable of some fairly sophisticated tactics, but their low health and the narrow level design doesn't give them a lot of opportunities to shine. Play Minerva: Metastasis if you want to see their potential.

I remember episodes one and two to be better due to having more cover and less firefights across open fields, so the overwatch troopers will use grenades more and set up ambushes behind corners. That solves one issue. It does not solve the underpowered early game arsenal or the lack of hit feedback on enemy troops. If it's not a one hit KO from an up close shotgun or a revolver or crossbow, the Overwatch troopers barely flinch and it makes you feel like you're hitting a bullet sponge.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Samuel Clemens posted:

Regarding HL2, the Combine AI is actually capable of some fairly sophisticated tactics, but their low health and the narrow level design doesn't give them a lot of opportunities to shine. Play Minerva: Metastasis if you want to see their potential in action.

Yeah base HL2 doesn't let the AI shine, but they got pretty good about it later. The ambush in the little town hotel in Episode 2 is a brilliant fight that feels as good as anything in FEAR. It plays out differently every time, and the combine are relentless at flanking and flushing you out of cover.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

can't the combine soldiers not see you if you can't see them. i recall a video years ago where a guy picked up a paint can or something and held it over his vision of the soldier and it stopped shooting.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Arcsquad12 posted:

If it's not a one hit KO from an up close shotgun or a revolver or crossbow, the Overwatch troopers barely flinch and it makes you feel like you're hitting a bullet sponge.

Oh yeah, the pistol and SMG are trash. I don't think I've ever used those after the boat section. Thankfully, the game is very generous with ammo, and there's always the Gravity Gun to fall back on.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I just realized that I would love a true single player campaign for CS:GO. It'd probably come off like Valve's spin on a Rainbow Six game, but now that I type that out loud, yes, that's perfect. :colbert:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DatonKallandor posted:

Yeah base HL2 doesn't let the AI shine, but they got pretty good about it later. The ambush in the little town hotel in Episode 2 is a brilliant fight that feels as good as anything in FEAR. It plays out differently every time, and the combine are relentless at flanking and flushing you out of cover.

Hunter fights are excellent and a great way to fix the open terrain battles. For one, their weapons aren't hitscan based, and the flechettes have a distinct firing arc. Plus they're fast fuckers, so you have to get creative when fighting them.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Not sure it qualifies at all as an "early" FPS but since somebody brought it up, I got the whole FEAR series in a bundle or sale or something years ago and I've yet to play any of them. Are they all good, is there one to avoid?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
FEAR 3 is the least good, but they're all fantastic shooters and also you can jump kick enemies in the face in slow motion

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Groovelord Neato posted:

can't the combine soldiers not see you if you can't see them. i recall a video years ago where a guy picked up a paint can or something and held it over his vision of the soldier and it stopped shooting.

I remember that video too, the guy picked up a barrel and held it in front of his face while walking towards an enemy manning a gun emplacement who doesn't fire except when the barrel is out of the way. The game apparently checks visibility by tracing a ray from their eyes to your eyes, so if you can't see them they can't see you, and their AI isn't smart enough to view a barrel floating through the air towards them as suspicious.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Make sure to go on pcgamingwiki and grab the HID fix for the original game as it's hosed otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

King Vidiot posted:

Not sure it qualifies at all as an "early" FPS but since somebody brought it up, I got the whole FEAR series in a bundle or sale or something years ago and I've yet to play any of them. Are they all good, is there one to avoid?

I love the FEAR franchise, so maybe take this all with a grain of salt. FEAR is definitely great, play it. It has two expansions, Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate, they're generally considered to be decent, I'm one of the weird people that really liked PM, most people are more iffy. If you really liked FEAR, they're more FEAR. I also really liked FEAR 2, most people seem to be more iffy on it, but I'd personally recommend it. FEAR 2 has a DLC, called Reborn. It's rear end, you can beat it in an hour or so and while it has some decent fights, none of them are great. FEAR 3 is... I largely enjoyed it, but it has a lot of issues. Story's decent until the very end when it goes to poo poo, the health system was replaced with regenerating health and the fights have more waves and aren't as focused, and there's a pretty hefty co-op component (you can play single player though, although there's a whole bunch of co-op stuff that pops up anyway). FEAR 3 isn't awful, I'd place it just above Reborn, but it is definitely the outlier in just about every way and unless you're such a fan that you must play it, I'd say it's easily the most skippable.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Oh yeah, the pistol and SMG are trash. I don't think I've ever used those after the boat section. Thankfully, the game is very generous with ammo, and there's always the Gravity Gun to fall back on.

I never had an issue with the SMG in HL2, but the game could probably use a mod that makes the weapons feel better in general.