Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

DiggityDoink posted:

You can get cheap rear end knives super sharp with the right whetstones, a dollar sharpening stone though, probably not. The worst that will happen though is the knives will just dull faster than high quality ones.

Get a strop and learn how to use it for razor sharp knives.

I buy cheap knives on Amazon all the time and get them razor sharp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
The unglazed underside of a coffee mug or bowl or whatever works good for sharpening knives if you don't have access to regular sharpening equipment. :eng101:

And it's just plain convenient. Knife getting a bit dull in the kitchen? Just flip over a mug in the sink, sharpen and rinse, no need to get out a bunch of whetstones or diamond files or whatever.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

This reminded me of when my dad took us to see the sprint cars race at the Perth Motorplex years ago and he got whipped in the side of the face and neck by a chunk of compacted dirt that was flung off the track. We were sitting about half-way up the stands so the chunk was flung a good 30m from the track. He was OK but had a pretty big bruise.

Of course in that GIF the dude would have been killed...

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Elysiume posted:

With a dollar knife, the worst thing that happens is it goes dull really fast (as long as it isn't made out lead or something).

Yeah. You'd think that nothing could go wrong with a tool that is basically a long metal stick, but I'd be worried that it would explode into sharp metal fragments when used.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

PhazonLink posted:

Some potential OSHA: $1 tools.

Been really tempted to buy a dollar crow bar. Also buying dollar kitchen knives to practice knife sharpening with a dollar sharpening stone.

e: So I should buy a bakers dozen of crow bars.

Cheap multimeters scare the hell out of me. Some of these I wouldn’t even use on 120V household circuitry, let alone commercial or industrial systems at 277/480 or 347/600 volts with tremendous fault capability.

http://www.ecmweb.com/arc-flash/case-deadly-arc-flash

From the article:
“For reasons we will never know, after checking all three phases, he made a comment to the effect that something was not right — and returned to the center lug a second time. As he made this measurement, a fireball erupted from the panel, severely burning all three individuals and causing significant damage to the electrical equipment and surrounding area.”

“The meter design was defective for making measurements as advertised on industrial electrical systems. It could not withstand the voltage transients present on such systems, and the fuse was unable to interrupt the fault current that resulted from an internal failure.”

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Feb 25, 2018

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

JB50 posted:

Get a strop and learn how to use it for razor sharp knives.

I buy cheap knives on Amazon all the time and get them razor sharp.

:thunk:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Don't you run out of knives all the time?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

Don't you run out of knives all the time?

I buy tinfoil by the roll instead of producing it myself one slice at a time.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/hIKUlof.mp4

Okay, I get that you could probably sync up those rotors to the point where there's minimal risk of spontaneous disintegration, but still... why even risk it?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Perestroika posted:

Okay, I get that you could probably sync up those rotors to the point where there's minimal risk of spontaneous disintegration, but still... why even risk it?

Chinooks are no different.

A very good reason to have two rotors is that you can counter-rotate them wrt eachother, cancelling out the tendency for the helicopter to spin, meaning you don't need a tail rotor.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Pretty sure the rotors are geared together so there is literally no risk of them going out of sync outside of the gears failing in which case you're hosed anyway.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Perestroika posted:

If you really wanted more safety, you should get fixed lifting surfaces and keep your propulsion separately.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Perestroika posted:

The real problem here is that the rotors will tangle the airframe parachute.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Not sure if that's a joke but any helicopter airframe with an airframe parachute ejects the rotor blades before deploying the parachute. Same goes for pilot ejection systems.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

tactlessbastard posted:

If you really wanted more safety, you should get fixed lifting surfaces and keep your propulsion separately.

Let's not get too crazy now.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
why does that helicopter even need dual blades, at least the chinooks are for heavy lifting

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If anyone else is curious, his online handle is Nasty The Horse and he bills himself as the "King Of The Nutshot"
https://twitter.com/nastythehorse?lang=en
https://www.youtube.com/user/flatryan/videos

Edit: this 2 story nutshot from back in 2012 was probably the incident where he hosed up his spine. I don't think he knows for sure because he put up with chronic pain for 5 or 6 years before he decided to go to a doctor and get it checked out and discovered that his cerebrospinal fluid was leaking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqNKgPOYV10&t=50s

One of his videos from 11 years ago has 1.3 million views (and it's not even the stunt where he hosed up his back, LOL), three had about 600,000 views , two had about 500,000 views and the rest are nothing to talk about. He's been posting videos several times a month for a long time now and these days they hardly ever get more than 1000 views. He hosed up his life and he's got nothing to show for it.

He has a stunt demo reel out there where he's doing proper stunts, and he could probably make a career out of it. It seems like the problem is he has a terminal need for attention and/or pain and instead just destroys his genitals.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
Extra good for chopping heads off of people for approaching idling helicopter from wrong angles.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Raskolnikov38 posted:

why does that helicopter even need dual blades, at least the chinooks are for heavy lifting
I think that’s some kind of heavy lifting helicopter.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Helicopters require two sets of blades one way or another to not spin out.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

0toShifty posted:

Extra good for chopping heads off of people for approaching idling helicopter from wrong angles.

I travel on helicopters regularly as part of working off-shore and whenever I see people on TV approaching helicopters from the front I just instinctively cringe. We're usually flown out on either Sikorsky S-92 or Eurocopter EC225 airframes but the safety case is the same: always approach from the side as directed by ground crews (This image is the closest I could find to those from the safety briefings we get).

Running round the front or the back is just loving insane imo.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Bum the Sad posted:

I think that’s some kind of heavy lifting helicopter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaman_K-MAX
Yeah here it is

The Kaman K-MAX (company designation K-1200) is an American helicopter with intermeshing rotors (synchropter) by Kaman Aircraft. It is optimized for external cargo load operations, and is able to lift a payload of over 6,000 pounds

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Using two rotors also means you don't need a tail rotor.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

cheese-cube posted:

I travel on helicopters regularly as part of working off-shore and whenever I see people on TV approaching helicopters from the front I just instinctively cringe. We're usually flown out on either Sikorsky S-92 or Eurocopter EC225 airframes but the safety case is the same: always approach from the side as directed by ground crews (This image is the closest I could find to those from the safety briefings we get).

Running round the front or the back is just loving insane imo.

In ARMA 3 when you pick up crew in a helicopter that doesn’t have a door in the back like a Chinook they always line up in the front “safe zone” and approach single-file. So I think that’s one of many details the ARMA series gets right.

Also I think you can kill people if you launch countermeasures while picking up people on the ground. I sure as hell wouldn’t want a flaming chunk of metal launched into my face.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 25, 2018

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Mtthnsly posted:

He's not a great person to for. Also that DUI was on his way to work so...

I had a coworker who blew .24 or something on his way to work and was mad at the cop for pulling him over and arresting him.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Dual rotors add mechanical complexity by adding a second rotor, but lose the tail rotor which also gets rid of some complexity. Having two rotors also allows for mo lifting force without have to add larger diameter or more rotor blades on each spindle which might be advantageous.

I believe that that helicopter is fairly unusual and usually the rotor planes don't overlap and are instead stacked like on the KM-25/27/30s and KA-50.

I suspect the Chinook has dual rotors front to back because it allows for a more evenly spread and stable lifting force along the relatively long fuselage. Having dual rotors overlapping is really a non-issue anyways though. If you have two rotors and you lose one you are already going auto-rotate to the ground just the same as on a single rotor design with a tail rotor. If you have overlapping rotor planes then you just get there a lot faster. And that's assuming that the rotors just get disengaged. If a rotor on any helicopter actually flies apart then you are screwed.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

-Zydeco- posted:

If a rotor on any helicopter actually flies apart then you are screwed.

Could you be any more wrong :smugmrgw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca0dVDO3yBw&t=14s

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Three-Phase posted:

Also I think you can kill people if you launch countermeasures while picking up people on the ground. I sure as hell wouldn’t want a flaming chunk of metal launched into my face.

Yes, countermeasure flare dispensers are oriented perpendicular to the airframe so if you were standing next to a helo and it decided to launch flares you'd run a high risk of being hit with very hot metal.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Helicopters are powered by the blood of the innocent and need to be refueled on a regular basis. They spit in the eyes of the gods of aerodynamics and say "gently caress you, I do what I want."

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Bip Roberts posted:

Helicopters require two sets of blades one way or another to not spin out.

Not if you use the jet exhaust from the engine to counteract the rotor torque :science:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NOTAR

Or put ramjet engines in the blade tips so no torque is applied to the fuselage :pseudo:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tip_jet

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Holy poo poo. The description likens it to a firework that can’t be good.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
My favorite part of that article is right at the bottom

See also: Aeliopile

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I remember seeing one of those helicopters or a similar one used for logging.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Stock America's classrooms with tannerite-filled refrigerators to defend against active shooters.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Some moron once filled a lawnmower up with tannerite and when he shot it from way too close, the blade went flying towards him and chopped his leg off.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

AH BLEW OFF MAH LEAYIHG

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Also, Dutch athletes celebrating their olympic wins threw a huge metal medal into a crowd and injured two people :v:
https://sportnieuws.nl/overig/olympische-spelen/hommeles-holland-heineken-house-schaatsers-smijten-plaat-zaal-2-gewonden/

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

The only way to defeat Optimus Prime's vampire form