Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
somehow 'centrists' in the US have no problem with kneejerk reactions or something exceptionally rash if it swings righward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

I really want someone to ask trump what he thinks of this

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

boop the snoot posted:

I really want someone to ask trump what he thinks of this

He'll support it because he'd like to be president for life as well.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I’m leaning more towards “Burn it all Down” politically. I’m pretty sure the R’s have self owned so hard the DNC wouldn’t even need to buy a PR strategist for this mid-term if they had a different mindset than they did in 2016.
They don’t, so they are either going to blow it up, or they are gonna make a ton of progress despite not learning anything, and go “Gee, we told you all this strategy would work.” Despite everything pointing towards it being a fluke.
I dunno maybe I listen to too much Chapo, but I’m super disgruntled going into this cycle.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
A brief burst of optimism makes me think Feinstein getting thrown out and replaced with a completely shameless, blatantly progressive candidate would scare a lot of the shitbirds in line. They'll never do it out of charity but if they can see their necks are on the line and the pitchforks-and-torches mob is looking for the next target they'll at least be scared enough to fake it.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Proud Christian Mom posted:

somehow 'centrists' in the US have no problem with kneejerk reactions or something exceptionally rash if it swings righward

Lol if you align everyone in a 2D space. Real life isn't an anime.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Source: New York Magazine, supposedly

I saw this posted on twitter the other day and my impression is that if the Dems pushed hard left economically and didn't push as hard left on social issues then they would absolutely annihilate the Republican Party. Also people complaining about Bernie Bros voting third party or Republican are almost completely full of poo poo.

Note this is only people who voted so we can't draw any conclusions about people who may or may not have stayed home.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

What in the actual gently caress

https://mobile.twitter.com/ellisonbarber/status/967772145072865280

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
lol that accent owns

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:holymoley:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

https://twitter.com/ellisonbarber/status/967774313746182144

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

bengy81 posted:

I’m leaning more towards “Burn it all Down” politically. I’m pretty sure the R’s have self owned so hard the DNC wouldn’t even need to buy a PR strategist for this mid-term if they had a different mindset than they did in 2016.
They don’t, so they are either going to blow it up, or they are gonna make a ton of progress despite not learning anything, and go “Gee, we told you all this strategy would work.” Despite everything pointing towards it being a fluke.
I dunno maybe I listen to too much Chapo, but I’m super disgruntled going into this cycle.

The DNC strategy since 2016 appears to be:

1) ad buys are no longer a good use of money
2) candidates should run on local issues
3) voter mobilization is the top priority

Personally, I want them beating the war drums and promising Medicare for All along with immediate impeachment for [choose any one of a hundred reasons], but the above seems to be working so far.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
They're also lessening the effort to appeal to GOP voters, and instead focusing on getting Democrats out to vote. Which is a good change.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Vasudus posted:

They're also lessening the effort to appeal to GOP voters, and instead focusing on getting Democrats out to vote. Which is a good change.

Yeah this. And focusing on the local races.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

iKon posted:

The DNC strategy since 2016 appears to be:

1) ad buys are no longer a good use of money
2) candidates should run on local issues
3) voter mobilization is the top priority

Personally, I want them beating the war drums and promising Medicare for All along with immediate impeachment for [choose any one of a hundred reasons], but the above seems to be working so far.

Is it? I thought this was the gameplan for D candidates who largely ignore the party and actually win while the national committee is still dreaming of Hillary 2020

E: lol yeah DCCC assistance is contingent on spending at least 75% of the campaign budget on media buy

https://mic.com/articles/186648/is-the-democratic-congressional-campaign-committee-stifling-dissent-within-the-party

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 25, 2018

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

Probably because between old age and education, the ranks of GOP voters are thinning. The white woman with a college degree and a job that voted for McCain and Romney no longer wants anything to do with the Republican party.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

psydude posted:

Probably because between old age and education, the ranks of GOP voters are thinning. The white woman with a college degree and a job that voted for McCain and Romney no longer wants anything to do with the Republican party.

Roy loving Moore took the white woman vote 2:1

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

Roy loving Moore took the white woman vote 2:1

Yeah Alabama isn't a good cross section of the electorate. Look at results in Virginia and New Jersey for a better indication of how that demographic is voting in 2018.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Wow, in VA and NJ, white women don’t vote in Republicans any more?!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
https://twitter.com/taniel/status/967881839338835970

Note the source but :laffo:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Wow, in VA and NJ, white women don’t vote in Republicans any more?!

Virginia and NJ have suburban electorates that are very similar to a lot of the critical house seats that Democrats need to win in PA, Ohio, Michigan and other suburban areas in order to retake the house. The single largest group to change parties between 2016 and 2018 was white women with a college degree, who will be crucial in deciding who wins in those districts

psydude fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 25, 2018

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

psydude posted:

Yeah Alabama isn't a good cross section of the electorate. Look at results in Virginia and New Jersey for a better indication of how that demographic is voting in 2018.

Or that kentucky mess going on where the rep was accused of diddling kids and killed himself like a bitch. His wife ran and lost handily in the run-off.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Or that kentucky mess going on where the rep was accused of diddling kids and killed himself like a bitch. His wife ran and lost handily in the run-off.

im never going to stop laughing over his suicide note

it contained the word 'tummies' lol

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
In relation to his death, I wish it was from a rope in a town square instead of blowing his brains out on the side of the highway.

But a dead politician is an improvement anyhow.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

we need to bring back decimation for that sheriff department

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

we need to bring back decimation for that sheriff department

So you think we should only kill 10% of the cops?

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

So you think we should only kill 10% of the cops?

Yeah but the other 90% would be forced to beat their buddies to death if we're talking the original Roman style.

Draw by lots, no one is safe. Enlisted take care of enlisted, nobles take care of other nobles. The horses get to watch.

E: Sulla even figured you can scale up the punishment to 30% or so. The trick is to keep your grunts grateful that it wasn't their lots drawn, that way np one thinks too hardly on how hosed up it is to be beating your squadmates.

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 26, 2018

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

let the students beat the ones that get the short straw IMO

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/967904432888348677

quote:

Dunkin has told people that when he used to fly Trump around on his private Boeing 757, they'd often find themselves stuck on the tarmac with delays. He'd tell Trump that none of this would happen if a pilot ran the FAA.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

We are going to die.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Ahaha...
In other TRUMP!!! news:
https://www.axios.com/exclusive-trump-privately-talks-up-executing-all-big-drug-dealers-1519595170-402cc386-8729-4684-a7ef-a5bf31876afa.html

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

I've always wanted to travel by train.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

gently caress, he's taking lessons from Duterte :ohdear:

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
The Pod Save America folks are pushing pretty hard for folks to support individual candidates directly instead of the DNC. I've already kicked in a few bucks toward the person I like in the local congressional race... Any reason this would be a bad idea?

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008
Welp, there goes me wanting to get current again. Can wait to see what this fuckhead does to the FAR’s

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
If you're going to donate money, donate it to a candidate directly. The national party is chock full of "consultants" that eat up a huge amount of the DNC's budget.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
Don't give money away

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

Don't give money away

Koch brothers parachute account spotted

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

egyptian rat race posted:

The Pod Save America folks are pushing pretty hard for folks to support individual candidates directly instead of the DNC. I've already kicked in a few bucks toward the person I like in the local congressional race... Any reason this would be a bad idea?

Minimal, since we're no longer in a Handel-Ossoff Special Election where shitloads of money were blown for just one house seat. Still, it would probably be a good idea to wait until after Primary Season is over.

Avoid the DNC at all costs until they unfuck themselves (won't happen). The DCCC (Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee) is not as terrible, since it's run by the House Democrats, but it's still pretty terrible because it's a national committee working on a national strategy. Most of what the DCCC does is accumulate money, decide which races nationally are the most winnable, then shoot money to the "proper" local candidate. Same idea for the DSCC for Senators.

Donate to the candidates you believe in, directly. Chances are that they know their district better than any of the national organizations would and they can use the money more effectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

let the students beat the ones that get the short straw IMO

Survivors get sloppy seconds after the parents but everyone who's said "crisis actors" with a straight face also enters the lottery

• Locked thread