Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I'm guessing that its also 100% bonkers that instead of just sending db queries through a standard ODBC socket SEPM is instead opening, authing, transacting, and logging off for each DB transaction. And the transactions are done through the bulk copy utility.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

soo uuhhhhhhhh what's good for enterprise Ramdisk software on Windows? Definitely not asking due overcoming massive scaling issues in SEPM or anything

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ok so those uqbuiti access points - do i really need the pro

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

echinopsis posted:

no but you need a separate router, it wont just drop in replace another wifi router+AP, it's just the AP half.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

echinopsis posted:

what's your internet speed? either way, probably not. pro has a bit higher in ac speeds in both bands, secondary ethernet port, and 802.3at PoE+ support, that's about it in broad strokes

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Short answer: no you don't need the pro, the lite is absolutely fine for home gamers.

Now it does depend on which switch you use if you can actually use the lite because it only supports ubiquiti's proprietary PoE, and the cheapest 60W switch only supports PoE+ standard.

I ended up getting the AC Pro anyway because I had to spend extra on either the switch or the AP, and I decided the AP would be worth the extra money over the switch.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i kinda want ubiquiti setup for smart qos stuff, but my internet is too fast so id have to spend 350-400 EUR for erppro :qq:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

spankmeister posted:

Short answer: no you don't need the pro, the lite is absolutely fine for home gamers.

Now it does depend on which switch you use if you can actually use the lite because it only supports ubiquiti's proprietary PoE, and the cheapest 60W switch only supports PoE+ standard.

I ended up getting the AC Pro anyway because I had to spend extra on either the switch or the AP, and I decided the AP would be worth the extra money over the switch.

hmm dont those things come with the PoE adapters though so you dont even need pOe at all?

but this is good. coz I didnt think Id need the pro

hm

the router I am being sent is this ASUS RT-AC58U

and tbh it might even be enough for the house.. its a small 2 bedroom

I just want good wifi, especially if im forking out for the extra fibre speed to take it from 100/20 to (up to) 950/500

Sniep posted:

no but you need a separate router, it wont just drop in replace another wifi router+AP, it's just the AP half.
cool this is essential thanks

cinci zoo sniper posted:

what's your internet speed? either way, probably not. pro has a bit higher in ac speeds in both bands, secondary ethernet port, and 802.3at PoE+ support, that's about it in broad strokes
950 but will see I guess what actually comes down

thanks guys

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

echinopsis posted:

950 but will see I guess what actually comes down

there's no client kit (p much) on the market that can do gigabit wifi, btw

but if you want wifi speeds up to 500mbps you'll probably need something that does at least 3x3 mimo, possibly 3x3 mu-mimo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
in have no idea what that menas

if my wifi rather than the internet connection itself which is the bottleneck.. well. that will be anew

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

would a kind router/switchlorde assist me in fixing whatever is causing my edgerouter ecks to go into a mode on power loss where everything under 'switch0' is erased because of an error i don't understand per https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX/Known-Issues-of-EdgeMax-Series/m-p/1859460#M153239
and https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX/EdgerouterX-losing-configuration-after-power-loss/td-p/1981927 ?

if i change anything about eth1, eth2, etc it'll work until it reboots or loses power, then i have to do a factory reset to get it working again. i can't change the name, QoS, static IP, etc.

using this as both a router + switch.
Eth 0 "internet" goes to modem
Eth 1 goes to AP
Eth 2-4 are random peripherals

i think i need to move some of the Eth ports off of 'switch0' but i don't know how to network

thanks and hail satan

also echi, the ubiquiti spaceships are super easy to setup and very good. they also have a pretty blue light ring that you can disable. i control mine with one of the ios apps and didn't bother with using a 'controller' or whatever since it's just one AP and i don't need remote access.

HAIL eSATA-n fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 26, 2018

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
cool pic

if you look closely on the left hand pole you'll see a 14db patch antenna and a ubiquiti bullet m2 hp. it has a 1 megabit link to the denver area ham radio wireless mesh. the other end is on Green Mountain, almost exactly 7 miles away

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i hope you didnt expect my house to look any less weird

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

ham wizard

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
his is nz internet. its probably only speedtest.net that can max it out

and i might end up switching it to 100/20 if the extra speed doesnt seem worth another $30/mo

also chomebooks whats the deal are they all pieces of poo poo and you get what youj pay for and is it better to just get a windows lappy OR WHAT

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

echinopsis posted:

and i might end up switching it to 100/20 if the extra speed doesnt seem worth another $30/mo

also chomebooks whats the deal are they all pieces of poo poo and you get what youj pay for and is it better to just get a windows lappy OR WHAT

100mbit is really 'fast enough' imo

chromebooks are neato and i think you get what you pay for, but, the good ones are close to the same price as a macbook so just get a macbook. never windows.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

echinopsis posted:

hmm dont those things come with the PoE adapters though so you dont even need pOe at all?

yeah it does. you dont need a switch that supports poe unless you are running like 8 waps that would get annoying using individual discrete injectors

echinopsis posted:

the router I am being sent is this ASUS RT-AC58U

and tbh it might even be enough for the house.. its a small 2 bedroom

yeah maybe try it with just the router wifi, and add the ubnt to supplement if the speed or range or reliability is not as you expect

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

also echi, the ubiquiti spaceships are super easy to setup and very good. they also have a pretty blue light ring that you can disable. i control mine with one of the ios apps and didn't bother with using a 'controller' or whatever since it's just one AP and i don't need remote access.

mate yes.

So I was thinking this..

fibre box -> router.. now I can use any router right? doesn't have to be a fibre routher thing?

anyway use this

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NETUBI1007/Ubiquiti-AIRROUTER-80211n-Wireless-Router-with-Air
that'll cover the garage and back of house

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NETUBI1226/Ubiquiti-UniFi-UAP-AC-LR-Dual-band-AC1350-450867Mb

thats in the lounge and covers the rest of the house. wired through the wroof

and then

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/NAPUBI1207/Ubiquiti-UniFi-AC-MESH-UAP-AC-M-Dual-band-AC1200-3

one of those on the outside/front of the house that goes out toward the park

so thoughts... is the ubuitqui router at the start necessary? or maybe its not even possible because I need a different router? I believed that the fibre box thing turned light into internet and that then any router was fine after that?

AND maybe I need the PRO spaceship with two ethernet ports so I can carry on toward the outside one rather than run two cables from the back/garage router toward the front of the house

the other option is.. that the boring asus router I get for free with the connection will be sufficient throughout the whole house :(

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks guys. right now im terrified about life and being independent and im depressed as hell BUT one thing I am excited about is having a cool network. i mean i know that'll turn out to be empty and desolate and not do anything to full the hole in my life but for now its something to look forward to. you guys are helpin

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
if you have just an ethernet port, yeah any router will work. the asus or a ubnt one or really whatever you like. ive never used an airrouter so i dont know anything about that particular product, but it looks like it has 10/100 ports so uh skip that yeah

if your fiber comes in at the back, use the asus wifi there, see how you like it, and if signal is weak in the front of the house run an ethernet cable up front and put a uap there. if you get the LR or pro version i bet you wont need a separate one for outside. i get mediocre strength in the yard with just the lite in the attic.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hmmm this is very good information thanks

idk what 10/100 means but you;re implying its not good enough and maybe thats why its cheap

guess ideal is using only ubiquit poo poo so only one SSID etc around the house

will see.

thanks

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

echinopsis posted:

chromebooks are either you are buying a $300 shitbox that you get what you pay for or you pay out for like a $900 google pixelbook at which point get something that is more than a web browser

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

100mbit is really 'fast enough' imo

chromebooks are neato and i think you get what you pay for, but, the good ones are close to the same price as a macbook so just get a macbook. never windows.

yeah, the cheap ones are potentially fun little linux laptops but they always have a major deficit like a bad cpu, or crap screen, or terrible case design

Endless Mike posted:

chromebooks are either you are buying a $300 shitbox that you get what you pay for or you pay out for like a $900 google pixelbook at which point get something that is more than a web browser

i got a woot refurb for $130 and its been a fun tinker box but yeah its not winning awards. the chromebook 3 is basically a normal samsung laptop but fatter and with google logos. for the price it was fine to dip a toe, but its certainly not more than a linux browser even refitted with a full distro

its one of those moments i wish i found an old macbook and swapped the os instead just because heck they both weigh about the same but it was nice way to get a cheap laptop with 12 hour battery life while my mba 2012 deprecates gracefully into a desktop

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

cool pic

if you look closely on the left hand pole you'll see a 14db patch antenna and a ubiquiti bullet m2 hp. it has a 1 megabit link to the denver area ham radio wireless mesh. the other end is on Green Mountain, almost exactly 7 miles away

sick

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

would a kind router/switchlorde assist me in fixing whatever is causing my edgerouter ecks to go into a mode on power loss where everything under 'switch0' is erased because of an error i don't understand per https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX/Known-Issues-of-EdgeMax-Series/m-p/1859460#M153239
and https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMAX/EdgerouterX-losing-configuration-after-power-loss/td-p/1981927 ?

if i change anything about eth1, eth2, etc it'll work until it reboots or loses power, then i have to do a factory reset to get it working again. i can't change the name, QoS, static IP, etc.

using this as both a router + switch.
Eth 0 "internet" goes to modem
Eth 1 goes to AP
Eth 2-4 are random peripherals

i think i need to move some of the Eth ports off of 'switch0' but i don't know how to network

thanks and hail satan

seems like you need to remove the ports from switch0 before configuring them, I am not familiar with their OS (which is a pos) but you should be able to find or create switch1 perhaps

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

that's some real dank internet you have there. if you are staying on 950, uap-ac-lite will hnadicap you by at least a hundo (its cap is 867 on 5 ghz). to be able to safely max out on 950, you need uap-ac-pro for 5 ghz band. for 2.4 ghz band you'd need to shell out for uap-ac-hd, and even then the speed would undercut you by at least 150.

also keep in mind that wifi is question not also of transmitter, but a receiver too (if youre saying its small bedroom or sth like that you should be fine though, i think, these things are rated for at least 120 metres).

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hmmm

intriguing

how would I find out what range of taht is?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
honestly all but one of these things in my house is overkill but I just love the idea that you just keep adding things and making a superior network

like I love these things https://store.ubnt.com/collections/wireless/products/unifi-ap-in-wall

so cool

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
the uap ac is decent, though really its not worthwhile inside a house, its really an outdoor ap and the form factor is definitely that

get an ap ac lr/hd/pro and put it on the ceiling with the least amount of wall interruptions to the place of highest use, or get a few and mesh them with the 5ghz wireless uplink option

edit: the airrouter is like 7 years old, the aircube line is the replacement and way better

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

that's some real dank internet you have there.

https://twitter.com/etthq/status/969687060213678080

not quite as dank as i hoped

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

are those your legs?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Symbolic Butt posted:

are those your legs?

lmao

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

i hope you didnt expect my house to look any less weird

it looks like it used to be a pizza hut

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

make sure the router saves its config, then download a backup copy

if you want ports to work as part of a switched interface, don't put any config on the member ports themselves. only put config on the switch interface.

Captain Foo posted:

seems like you need to remove the ports from switch0 before configuring them,

edit switch 0 and uncheck the port you want to change. apply the changes to switch0 and then go edit the port directly. you can only make one switch interface on an edgerouter x

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Mar 3, 2018

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

hifi posted:

it looks like it used to be a pizza hut
that's a good tumblr

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

gpon ain't too bad

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

that's nice internet echi, don't sweat it

Symbolic Butt posted:

are those your legs?

:laffo:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

what even is a permission?

i have an external drive connected to a lunix/kodi box, and i’m trying to reach it over the network via osx using sonarr. i’m getting a permissions error where [username] doesn’t have write access, but osx says i do

OS X ------> ~network magicks~----> OpenElec running Kodi -> External drive

i installed sonarr via homebrew cask if that matters. docker was also an option? i don’t know what i’m doing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

CrazyLittle posted:

make sure the router saves its config, then download a backup copy

if you want ports to work as part of a switched interface, don't put any config on the member ports themselves. only put config on the switch interface.

edit switch 0 and uncheck the port you want to change. apply the changes to switch0 and then go edit the port directly. you can only make one switch interface on an edgerouter x
thanks for the reply. i'll break my router again in a bit and see what happens