Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016
Doozybots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

the non traditional gameplay SRWs all seem to be quite bad
sadly

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
The only Zoids I ever saw was the one with Liger Zero, which I remember being pretty cool.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Ardeem posted:

Sometimes it's good that these games don't come out here. That sounds awful.

I forgot the best part, the original distribution model was that the game was released episodically, purchased individually, with additonal DLC maps that sometimes added additional units unattainable any other way (including the CCA units* and the Code Geass R2 units in case you ever wanted to see the good Code Geass robots). They also sold various boosters for XP and item drop rates. Oh right items dropped that you then crafted into items to equip, though equipment also dropped at times. Also without experience-boosting items, you'd have to grind a bunch to keep your entire team at a decent level, by replaying past missions or doing special simulator missions. The only worse SRW entry is that lovely mobile game they released for Japanese cell phones, X-Omega.

The only reason I even wanted to play it is because it includes Zoids: Chaotic Century, which I watched every morning back in junior high when it aired at like 7 AM on Cartoon Network. Zoids: New Century, the one more people in the US are familiar with because Toonami, showed up as DLC, but only Leena and Naomi, no Liger Zero or the like, because OE already included Gunsnipers, so they didn't have to spend much on modeling their units, they didn't even bother adding a new BGM for them, they just used the Chaotic Century BGM because gently caress Zoids fans I guess.

*The Nu Gundam is actually worse than the RX-78-2 in many ways though. In OE, certain predefined combinations of units are deployed together in certain missions (some missions force solo deployments, giving Nu Gundam the edge) as a squad like in Alpha 2/3 or Z, and this includes the MSG 0079 team (Gundam, Guncannon, Guntank, G-Fighter), so deploying the Nu Gundam in those missions denies Amuro access to three other pilots' worth of spirit commands (including the all-important Accel, plus the other 0079 units have their own strengths, like how the Guncannon's massive shoulder cannons are post-movement), and the original Gundam eventually gets Last Shooting, which is stronger than Fin Funnels.

GodofDiscord posted:

Why did Zoids have to be in that game! Please SRW put Zoids in anything that isn't trash!
Zoiiiiiiiiiiiiids!!!

Zoids Genesis was in K. It's not the same, but K was pretty cool in general. It had Virtual-On and Gun X Sword, too.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

It's pretty disappointing that Zoids as a whole was only in K and OE. On OE's note, a friend of mine has been playing it on-stream every now and then. Been enjoying watching it whenever he does. No matter its flaws, you definitely can't take away OE's great series list from it. Kinda like K.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I like Gespensts and wish they'd be in the newer games, like Grungust and Huckebein in V.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

SirSystemError posted:

It's pretty disappointing that Zoids as a whole was only in K and OE. On OE's note, a friend of mine has been playing it on-stream every now and then. Been enjoying watching it whenever he does. No matter its flaws, you definitely can't take away OE's great series list from it. Kinda like K.

Yeah, and the soundtrack is one of the best, it's really hard to get mad at OE when it actually includes Nikopol for Viral, not to mention some pretty rare Gundam tracks like Encounters and Ai Senshi. But then again, they made the Zeta's Hyper Mega Cannon exclusively a MAP attack and decided Aina wasn't worth including (though, granted, the Apsalus III is never all that good, her best showing was A, where her high-performance Zaku was available), plus it's one of the only games to strictly enforce certain units being unable to function in space (meaning the 08th MS Team, Zoids, Labors, most ATs, and non-flying Knightmare Frames can't be used in missions without solid ground). On the other hand, the way they handle things, Kamina is playable for the entire length of the game. On the other other hand, the game has frequent conditions under which it locks up or crashes.

EDIT: And to tie all this back into an earlier conversation from the thread, Bernie refuses to deploy in missions that include Zeon units (even unmanned ones controlled by non-Zeon enemy groups), because of *~LOYALTY~*. Yes, the thing with Cima is still stuck in my craw.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 25, 2018

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

We’re back in the Europe Route and, in case you don’t remember, the last three missions of all routes are mostly the same, barring a few different bits. Since I need to keep this path to get the last route-exclusive secret, we’ll be staying here and I’ll make not of any important differences.
Of note, the US and EU routes all join up with the Japan crew at this point, though the JP guys themselves would still be running solo for another mission.
In regards to tacticians, we now have Romina replacing Ylbora (her first bonus is the same as Sumeragi’s) and I also forgot to point out Ozma and Jeffrey’s bonus when they joined. They give, respectively, Post-movement transformation and Ranged weapons’ attack power +10%.

Now, Moritsugu, Kouichi and Sun Quan are deploying as solo event units, with Kazuki as a team event.
Arnie/Ozma
Tsubasa/Canaria
Shinn/Klan
Liu Bei/Deceive
Guan Yu/Eida
Mazinkaiser/Soubi
Michel/Kenji
Alto/Fei-Yen
Mamoru/Sakura
Kazuki/Zhang Fei
Yamashita/Mike
Joe/Saya
Shangxiang/Luna
Rennie/Luca
Tactician: Zhuge Liang

Off we go.

: Okay, the replacement Armas are all good to go…

*Alarm!*

: ! What is it?!
: C-Captain! We’ve an emergency!
: We’re detecting three heat signatures moving in on us! We can’t ID them, and they’re not reading as Machinas!
: Not Machinas? Then it’s not JUDA’s team?!
: I-I don’t know! But why would they be here…?!
: We can make sense of this later! Deploy everyone we can! I’ll be heading out in my Kagutsuchi!

: …

: Who on earth are you…?!

*One of the bots rushes down the mooks!*

: Th-They’re fast…!

: Gwaaaaargh!

: Hrm…!

*Dmitri moves in.*

: I am Dmitri Magarov, captain of the Katou Organization’s 3rd unit!
: The commander personally placed this area under my care! You won’t have your way with it!

*All bots surround him, ready to have their way.*

: What?!

: Gwaaaaaaaargh!
: Th-This can’t… be…! Commander… Katou…!

Over by Kiriyama Heavy Industries, the boss man is entreating his guests to the video of his company’s newest weapon overwhelming and liberating a region under control of a “certain armed group”.
Yamashita and Ishigami both recognize the Katous’ Armas, of course, and Kiriyama presents his brand-new anti-Machina weapon: the HFX-19 Jinrai! Richard sees that the grandiose unveiling of those bots is the reason why Ishigami hurried us back to Japan.
The official story that Saya heard is that the things were made with data offered by JUDA. Ishigami says the Martian Development Bureau and the Federation pressed him into disclosing some info… but, as Richard knows, that was nowhere near enough data for them to build something like the Jinrai. Only logical conclusion, thinks Saya, is that someone leaked more to Kiriyama, and Yamashita can’t believe there’s a spy in JUDA (Moritsugu stares blankly).

Kiriyama then steps over to meet with Ishigami, who thanks him for inviting us to the festivities. Not at all, Kiriyama’s the one who’s grateful that the JUDA CEO took the time to come all the way here – and he’s glad to see Moritsugu, too, who greets him with a level “It’s been a while, Eiji”.
Yamashita’s shocked to see that Moritsugu knows the president of Kiriyama Heavy Industries and the boss man confirms: they’ve been acquaintances for a very long time. Far more so than any of us, really. Yamashita’s already being rubbed the wrong way by Kiriyama.

Kiriyama then turns to Richard and Saya, who Ishigami introduces as his special consultants… and classical actors. Sounds strange to Kiriyama, but JUDA has always been a very unique company – Ishigami takes that as a compliment. Yamashita revises his statement, and think’s Kiriyama’s just weirding him out.
Either way, the guy asks us all to enjoy the occasion as it was only because of our “cooperation” that they managed to finish the Jinrai’s way ahead of schedule. And he hopes both companies will continue to work together… heheheheh.

: Dmitri got killed?! How?!
: It’s all in the report. He was long dead by the time Reznor and I got there… (Sanada)
: From what we’ve been able to figure out it was three unknown units that attacked our base – and they, apparently, weren’t Machina.
: drat it all…! I’m getting out there and I ain’t stopping ‘til I’ve gotten some payback for him…!
: Hold it right there, Sawatari!
: You’re trying to stop me…? He died because your and Sanada’s old asses couldn’t get there quick enough…!
: So get your hands off me, ya goddamned priest!
: Excuse you. I am just a priest, not a “goddamned priest”.
: … Psh…!
: We’ll continue to look into the attackers but our focus right now should be…
: The Linebarrel, yes.
: We’ve analyzed the data collected from our previous fights with it, and it shows that, one, it has an abnormally fast regeneration, two, it’s capable of changing its color and executing continuous teleportation with the Factor aboard, and, three…
: That it has two Factors: Kouichi Hayase and Emi Kizaki…
: All in all, the evidence shows it has myriad traits that differ from the general concepts seen in Machinas.
: Then it is that which the commander had been seeking… the “Machina that shouldn’t exist”? (Jack)
: Correct. We’d verified many possibilities thus far, including the Deus Machina in America, but...
: The Linebarrel is the one. It does not figure among the existing eleven Machina… rather, it is the twelfth Machina.
: As of right now, there are still two Machinas left undiscovered…
: So we just need to find those two and wreck ‘em, right?
: We’ll try that, yes. But, we’ll also be carrying on with another plan.
: Allow me to handle it, then. We need to see if they are necessary for that particular plan, no?
: As you will. And take that with you.
: ?! The imitation…?
: I ask precisely because it’s an imitation, yes. If they can’t get through that, then it’s ample proof that they’re not worth our while, don’t you think?
: … Roger that, sir.
: I’m going with him. I gotta hurt something or I’m gonna be climbing up these walls!
: I wish to accompany them as well. A blade that isn’t used will quickly lose its edge.
: (Hmhmhm… what will you do now, Ishigami? I’m sure you’ve long-since realized that the Linebarrel is the “Counter Machina”…)

Back to JUDA, in the US/EU route, Scarlet/Sumeragi surmise that Ishigami called us here because of Kiriyama – the guy hasn’t done anything YET, but Ishigami figures he’s up to something. He also appreciates the SMS’s help, but, of course, the Frontier brass ordered them to do so, so no thanks are needed.
After that, it’s time to get the other routes up to speed on what happened in the JP route: Ylbora’s defection to The Boom Army, Romina stepping up to fill in as the Elshank’s tactical commander and, on happier subjects, Soubi joining up with us. Tsubasa and Zhang Fei heard that story about him being a ninja – does that mean the Elshank’s quest is done?

Joe and Soubi stop Kaido waving them “buh-bye”, and explain what’s what. Still, Luca’s very surprised to hear that stories about Earth’s ninjas made it all the way across space… but, then, is that really so weird with Three Kingdom Gundams and parallel universe travelers like the Frontier? Fair enough.
Seems to Magami that we’re being pulled into a battle on a transdimensional level, which gets Kazuki to ponder their growing number of enemies to fight – just what are the ALVIS team doing here? In the US route, as Toumi introduces the newly arrived Fafner trio, Kazuki quietly sulks over new pilots being brought in despite the fact that Koyo only just left us.

Domyoji sees his sullen face and wonders if he might be housing an evil spirit. A what? Kouichi introduces him, saying Domyoji was scouted into JUDA due to his extensive knowledge on the occult and ancient texts. As it turns out, he comes from a long lineage of priests – exorcists, so to speak. Sounds to Al like he’s the Japanese equivalent of a sorcerer, though Kurou thinks that’s not quite right.
The rest of this convo also shows up in the JP version of the scene below, so you can see it in full there.

In the Japan route, the convo is much shorter for obvious reasons: Ishigami tells Shinn that he’s calling back the America team now that the Skrugg invasion has been sorted out. Is the situation in Japan going to be so dangerous as to warrant that, Arnie wonders? Richard says Kiriyama’s new weapons are the problem – they got a real bad feeling about those things.
“Is that really the only reason?” Domyoji asks. Does he suspect something more? “No, it’s just… when I look at you, Mr. Ishigami, I just kinda get the feel like there’s more to it.” Perish the thought. Shizuna tells him that, priest/exorcist or not, he’s gotta keep his nose out of where it don’t belong. Cue the story about his lineage, which explains to Kizaki why he could read those old books and knew so much about demons and whatnot.
Kazuki doesn’t really care, asking Mamoru and co. if they’re really fine with being a part of this – more and more enemies are turning up and they might even have to fight other people. Sakura says they’re not fine with that, but…

: If you’re not certain of this, then just leave the Fafner.
: …?!
: Moritsugu…
: An indecisive ally is a bigger threat to a team than any enemy.
: We have no need here for those who can’t fight.
: Heey! You don’t really need to say it like that, do you? They—
: Then Moritsugu… are you fine with killing other people?
: I simply do as I must.
: …!
: I guess you gotta be cold as ice to get to be top dog around here, huh?
: Can someone like you even feel other people’s pain, I wonder?
: “Other people’s pain”…?
: Heh… Maybe I cannot.

*Door opens.*

: He left…
: What kind of answer was that…?
: Listen, I know he doesn’t look like it, but I think he is looking out for Kazuki in his own way…
: You really sure about that…?
: I personally agree with him. If you’re hesitant to fight, Kazuki, then you should take some time off.
: If you fight like that and get yourself shot down, that’ll be another precious Fafner lost to us.
: Soushi, you…!
: (Yeesh, these guys are all so bad with people…)

US/EU route:

: So this is where you were…
: You’re… Sun Quan, yes? And Mr. Asuka… did something happen?
: No, we were just worried about you. What Moritsugu and Soushi said is weighing heavy on your mind, right?
: It kind of got me thinking…
: We lost Shouko not long ago, and now Koyo… but, still, no one’s scared to go out and fight… and I can’t figure out why.

US route only:

: On the contrary, we are hardly fearless.
: As I heard, there is one Cao Cao with the team that’s returned from the Union, yes?
: I confess that I shivered with fear when that man first attacked my home.
: Oh, right… You were fighting a war against him…
: In truth, I wished to do no such thing – rather, fleeing was my first thought.

EU route only:

: On the contrary, we are hardly fearless. Speaking for myself, I used to dread fighting with every ounce of my being...
: You did?
: Honestly, I still do. I would always rather not fight if another way exists.

Common ground:

: But there are times when one must take a stand and fight in order to defend those that are dear to him…
: That might be true, but…

*Alarm!*

: Wh-What?!
: That siren is…!

: Someone’s attacking JUDA HQ! All mobile forces are to shift to combat status immediately!
: Okay, we’re on it!

Cut back to the start, the JP route:

: So this is where you were…
: Sun Quan, Hayase… did something happen?
: No, we were just worried about you. Domyoji said you were “housing an evil spirit”…
: A-A spirit…?!
: Yeah, he said those are the personification of pain and sorrow that dwell in the hearts of men, and how negative emotions sometimes gives birth to bad stuff.
: Negative emotions…?
: I don’t know anything about spirits… but if there’s one thing that’s clear is that I’m just not strong like the rest of you…
: I can’t handle something like fighting other people…
: On the contrary, we are hardly that strong. Speaking for myself, I used to dread fighting with every ounce of my being...
: You did?
: Honestly, I still do. I would always rather not fight if another way exists.
: But, on the other hand, I know I must fight if I’m to defend those that are dear to me…
: That might be true, but…

*Alarm!*

: Wh-What?!
: That siren is…!

: Someone’s attacking JUDA HQ! All mobile forces are to shift to combat status immediately!
: Okay, we’re on it!

And the rest of the scene is there on all three routes…

: What’re you going to do, Kazuki? If you’d rather not fight, then you should stay in your room…
: No, I’ll do it… But, before I go, there’s something I need to ask you, Soushi.
: Which are more important to you… us or the Fafners?
: The Fafners.
: You’ve changed…
: You're the one who refuses to change.
: What I need… is someone who can stand in for my left eye. Nothing more.
: ! Soushi…

: All hands, first defense formation! Release the Humanoids to intercept the attacker!
: Gigigi…!

*Boom!*

: The Humanoids are being destroyed… but I don’t see anyone there!
: Our assailant’s using some electromagnetic camouflage, I think.
: An invisibility spell enabled by science…?
: Look, he’s showing up!
: I’m shocked at how easily you allowed someone to trespass into your headquarters…

*Twoooop!*

:siren: SRW L - Iczer Robo
:dance: :dance:

: You ought to be more cautious than that, JUDA!
: Gigigi…!

*Boom!*

: This isn’t working! Your guard robots are doing nothing to him!
: He’s taking out the Humanoids on foot… that guy’s really strong, alright!
: Is he even human?!
: I am Jack Smith, captain of the Katou Organization’s 6th Unit! I have business with JUDA!
: I am Reiji Moritsugu, Head of JUDA’s Special Forces. What are you here for?
: Ah, you’re him… Yes, I see that you’re a worthy opponent… We duel!

: Moritsugu!
: Stand down, Yamashita.
: Factor or not, I must commend you for stopping my attack with just your arm…
: However, from the sounds it makes… I’d wager your muscles have been greatly injured after that!
: Maybe, but I have bad news… I was born without a sense of pain.
: And that allows me to push my body to its limits!

: Hrgh!
: (He’s no sense of pain?! Then he really can’t feel…)
: Hrm, this man is…!
: Hmph, fighting you face-to-face would be more trouble than it’s worth…
: So I’ll just cut to the chase and end you.

Mission 18 – Blood is Spilled, Tears are Shed

: Come on, Mister Samurai. I’ll show you what real swordsmanship is like.
: You summoned your Machina, hm? Then I shall face you with my full might!

: Wh-What the… How’s that guy fighting a Machina on foot?!
: I see how it is… so that’s the secret behind your inhuman abilities.
: You, yourself, are an Arma…

: A-A human-sized Arma…?! Really?!
: Hmph… but I am not the only foe you must contend with!

: Aah! I-It’s…!
: I’m in a really bad mood today, ya hear?! Anyone who wants to get gutted can step right up!
: As I feared, the lone attacker was merely a feint…!
: Then we should deploy our own troops!
: Come, Linebarrel!

: I won’t tell you to cast your unease aside, Kazuki. But don’t forget that you’ve been blessed with strength that enables you to defend others…
: Okay…

US route only:

: Ms. Kaname, Mr. Koudate and Mr. Kondo, are you ready to go?
: We’re fully fledged pilots too, right? Just give the order and we’ll get it done!
: Aye, aye! Goubine, standing by!
: Aaiieee…! No, this is too scary! Mommyyyy!

: That’s a lot of guys they brought along… but, when the chips are down, an Arma’s just an Arma. With all the firepower we got right now, they…
: Hate to break it to ya, Horns, but we ain’t got just Armas today.

: What?!
: Masaki Sugawara, captain of the Katou Organization’s 1st Unit…
: And today… you’ll have to face me and my Machina, the Glain-Neidr.
: Did he say “Machina”?!
: A Machina of the Katou Organization…!
: (Machinas and Deus Machina… Is that similarity pure happenstance or…?)
: Yeah, I like it! Now that’s some prey worth huntin’!
: Is everyone ready? Then set forward and engage the enemy, but be wary of that gigantic flying Machina!

Kill everything, don’t lose your ship, Moritsugu, Kouichi or Sun Quan. The Armas aren’t any stronger than our last battle, but they come with pretty hefty numbers – still no problem, so long as you move as a group and don’t let people get piled on.
Your main issues at hand, as you might expect, are the bosses – especially Masaki.

Jack Smith
Pilot Skills:
Prevail L3
Support Attack L2
Predict
All Attack L1
Infight L2
Mech Features:
Sword
10% HP and EN Regen
EM Camouflage – activates over 130 morale, giving a maximum of 35% chance to outright dodge an incoming attack (mitigated by the difference in Skill between target and self).
Jack’s Voice Actor: Biichi Satou originally, here it’s Kenji Nomura (ジャック・スミス?それも私だ。)

Welcome back, Iczer-4.
As in L, Jack is meant to do precisely one thing: get in your face, dodge stuff, and start swinging his sword with that stellar Melee stat of his. But, as is true to all Iczers, he absolutely cannot take a hit if you get past his evasiveness.
He’s very crit happy and has way better range than in L now that he’s recalled the secret technique of “watch me straight-up punch a robot!” which is actually range 1-5!
If you let him get above 130 morale, you’ll have a way harder time touching him, so don’t do it. Your guys may be at base morale but pop a couple of Strikes and have your Super Robots get rid of Jack ASAP – the size difference will really boost damage against him.

Glain-Neidr (Masaki Sugawara)
Pilot Skills:
Factor
Prevail L3
Support Attack L2
All Attack L1
Mech Features:
10% HP Regen
Beam Immunity
Masaki’s voice actor: Susumu Chiba (other roles: Kyo in Steel God Jeeg, Baron in Aquarion, Welkin Gunther in Valkyiria Chronicles and many more)

And now for something on the complete opposite end of the spectrum: Masaki is big and tanky, with his bread-and-butter being sniping away at your folks with his cannons. His stats are pretty high (though not as high as they were in L – he’s on Jack’s level) and he no longer has a MAPW, instead picking up a new melee attack to surprise you. It’s actually his strongest move so watch it.
Without the MAPW looming over your head, however, it’s a lot simpler to approach him and pile on the damage – just make sure you don’t use Beam weapons.

:siren: SRW UX - Tales of Mirisha ~ The Brave Legend

: Your garments are reminiscent of a Shogun in the Sengoku Era…
: Pit your swordsmanship with mine – we shall see whose is superior!
: Fine, but I’d never fall to you! Behold the might of the Ryuteiken!

:siren: SRW UX - Linebarrel

: I’d never heard anything about there being human-sized Armas!
: Step into the field of battle with such paltry imagination and death will soon find you!

: What kind of enemy is this… he’s just a man! And you want me to use the Fafner against him?!
: Don’t be fooled by appearances, Kazuki. He’s a human-sized Arma – be on your guard!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mURN2O4mZ9k

:siren: SRW UX - Love Survivor

: Hmph. Do you think such a machine could possibly match my speed?!
: Joe… you don’t suppose he could be the legendary ninja, do you?!
: Sorry, princess, but you’re gonna have to let that go for now!

Joe: “If this guy really was a ninja, that’d make things a lot easier…”

: Why, this must be fate… you have also lost an eye! Then I can deduce how you approach battle!
: Fighting a target that small really is as complicated as I figured… I better take him seriously!

: Rrrrgh... Flesh wounds will not stop me!

: I have to hand it to your spirit, Mister Samurai.
: Hmph…!

: I-Incredible…! I can hardly believe my eyes…!

: Hm?! What are you doing…?!
: Captain, we’ll immobilize him! Wait for an opening and put him down!

: Ah—! Moritsugu…!
: Hmph, you believe you can stop the Vardant with this few troops…?

*Flash! Repels all enemies!*

: What…?!

: Uurgh…!
: C-Captain… Gaaaaaah!
: You think too highly of yourself, Mister Samurai…

: I-Impossible…!
: Hah…
: No way…! He cut down all those guys in the blink of an eye…!
: And this powerful aura around him… it’s like I’m staring at a demon!
: Is that what it’s like when he fights for real…?!
: Reiji Moritsugu, you called yourself…? I’ll avenge my subordinates someday!

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 22, 2018

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

And with that done, the rest of our folks start crossing the pond to deal with the rest of the Katou Organization. On the next enemy turn…

*Beep*

: It has been a long while, Mr. Ishigami.
: Is that you, Masaki? I suppose Katou’s finally gotten serious if he’s even sending you out into the field.
: You could say that, yes.
: Word around the grapevine is that you took over my old spot.
: I did. I now lead the 1st Unit.
: Heh…
: Mr. Ishigami, I am here to evaluate the forces you’ve gathered…!

:siren: SRW UX - The Gate of Neidhöhle Opens

: I’ll protect the place and people that are dear to me! That’s something I can do! (Same line he gets in the JP route, only if you’re in the US and EU routes)

Take a quick stab at Masaki to get the plot going…

:siren: SRW UX - Obelisk

: Look at how big that thing is… but I can pull through if I just work the Valkyrie’s mobility and get him confused….!
: You’ll find that any speed you have is worthless against the Glain-Neidr’s firepower.

: What…?!
: Our attacks just bounced off it?!
: (That was…)
: The Glain-Neidr is furnished with an absolute defense field. None of your attacks will connect.
: “Absolute defense”…?!
: Maki, start analyzing that field of his. And make it snappy!

*Beep.*

: Y-Yes, sir!
: (If my guess is right, that must be…!)
: Do not lower your guard for even a second. Do not hesitate for even a second. Do not miss any opportunity…
: Bring out every ounce of your strength. If you don’t…
: Then you’ll die.

: Heya, Blues! I know Jack’s really into fighting you, but how about you save some for me?!
: Hmph… do you honestly think you can beat me with a mere faux-Machina…?

: Yulianne told us about you, JUDA’s newest Machina!
: I see you’re quite the combative sort… but you won’t be making it through me. I swear it on the Talisman’s name…!

:siren: SRW UX - The Eternal Soldiers

: Get down here, fatass! My sword’s gonna fillet you!
: What kind of idiot would descend after hearing that? Let me handle this – I’ll blast him off the sky!

: Ah, it’s that mallet-lookin’ Machina! Time to pay you back for before!
: In that case you oughta go after Hayase and not us, ya dumdum!
: That’s not any better, sis…

Sawatari attacking Machinas: “You ain’t gonna be able to regen from the thrashing I’m gonna give you!”

: I’m raring to go today, Horns! Gonna take my time with you!
: And I’m supposed to care about what you want?! Can’t you tell that I got bigger things to worry about than you?!

: Tsk… It ain’t gonna end like this next time!
: I’ll find you and whoever killed Dmitri and I’ll cover this city in your blood!

We can’t damage Masaki for now, so we’ll just clear out the rest of the enemies in the meantime.

:siren: SRW UX - The Gate of Neidhöhle Opens

Triple Dog count: 3; for that matter, the trio got 15 kills today, bringing their secret tally to 41.

Here you can see me try to be clever and debuff Masaki’s accuracy with Fei.

:siren: SRW UX - LOVE 14 ver. HD

: W o w, he’s huge! If only we were in the C.I.S…
: … Ah? Did I… j u s t remember something?
: A robot with a human personality? As unlikely as it might sound, she...

I figured big flying hearts would be fair game, completely overlooking the fact that the thing is called Heart Beam

: You’re wasting your time. It is impossible for you to so much as scratch my Glain-Neidr.
: H-How are we gonna deal with this guy…?!
: What about that analysis, Maki?
: Still ongoing! Hold on for just a bit longer!
: (How far can you push my absolute defense field? Show me what you’ve got.)

Then try this on for size, jerk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYhYl_8lJEk
HAH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCHh7W9AUKo
After everything’s gone, it’s all about enduring Masaki’s attacks and waiting. Next turn…

: So? Is that all the strength you have?
: (drat it… this is how having a real fight with another Machina is like?!)
: (I-I can’t stop shaking!)
: We’ve no use for weaklings. I’ll wipe out both you and everything you wanted to protect.
: Fire…

: Aaaaah!
: Your Highness…!
: Rrgh, and we can’t even touch that guy…?!

*Beep!*

: Sorry for the delay! We’ve the results of our analysis!
: Apparently that defensive field of his isn’t something that Machina had originally!
: You mean it was a later addition?!
: Right. And the field generator proper has been affixed atop of the unit itself.
: So if you destroy it…
: Then we can take him out!
: Having to weave through his barrage of attacks and close in won’t be easy at all, though!
: … I’ll do it!
: …?! Hayase…!
: I can’t stand him looking down everyone else… so I’ll get in his face and drag him off his high horse!

*Kouichi blasts towards Masaki.

: Hmph… Yes, it’s very clear: you’re afraid.
: Wh-What…?!
: Did you think I wouldn’t notice it? You are very afraid of fighting others… or, better put, of hurting people in general.
: …!
: He’s afraid…?!
: That’s why you ramble on about trivialities like “justice” – to try and calm yourself.
: But that word isn’t enough to do away with your fear.
: Sh-Shut up!
: (Hayase… So you’ve been struggling with the spirit of fear all along…?)
: Hrm… You don’t know me, so quit acting like you do!

: Waaaaaah!
: Hayase…!
: That’s quite the fool you chose as your Factor, Linebarrel…
: But this is the end of the road for you…!

*Blast!*

*Piiing*

:siren: SRW UX - The Legend of Mirisha

: Azure Wall...!
: ?! Young lord…!
: And what is the issue with fearing combat…?
: What folly is there in encouraging oneself in order to rise above that fear?!
: Sun Quan…!
: Hmph… do you speak from experience? Is that how you’ve been averting your eyes from the fear your feel while fighting?
: Nay, I have not averted my eyes from anything!
: Rather, I have faced that fear and withstood its blow… so that I could defend my dear family!
: ! Sun Quan…!
: You face that fear and withstand it…!
: (Hah… that quivering tiger cub has grown into a man…)
: Then come. Show me that spirit with which you rose above that fear.

: Kch… Hrrrgh!
: Brother…!
: drat it…! I promised… I promised Kizaki that I’d protect her…! I can’t let this be the end!
: (Hayase…!)
: Help me, Linebarrel! Give me some more power! Enough that I can protect Kizaki… and all my friends!
: (Please, Linebarrel! Protect Hayase…!)

:siren: SRW UX - Linebarrel (Full Intro)

: Now, Hayase! Chaaaarge!
: Haaaaaah!
: No, you don’t…!

We’ll see this attack in a jiffy.

: …! I can’t be…!
: Oh… Ms. Kizaki, what was that?
: I-I don’t know either…!
: From the readings we picked up, it looked like he unleashed a super-compressed warp field from the palm of his hand.
: A compressed warp field…? Then the Linebarrel used it to warp the field generator and tear it off the Machina?!
: How’s that even possible…?
: It is… for Hayase and the Linebarrel.
: (Sun Ce, my dear brother… I understand now why you never faltered as a defender, even as you risked your life!)
: I hope you’re ready, fatso! We’re about to turn the tables on you!
: The field was merely an imitation, but I still can’t believe he got through it…
: Fine… I’m forced to acknowledge the strength you all have.
: Take out that guy and the enemy’ll have to back off! All units, focus your attacks on the giant Machina!

: He’s massive! They say it’s a Machina, but that’s more akin to a proper battleship!
: What a tiny being… I take it you’re another person from the General Lu Bu’s world.
: But when I look at you, I see nothing but another machine…

:siren: SRW UX - Future-Bound Fighting Spirit

: This huge mobile weapon’s a Machina…?! Just what are these robots supposed to be?!
: As ignorant as you are, you carry on fighting and looking for greater strength… Your thoughtlessness is a danger for the entire world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ECk9MtxzaQ
Here we go – got Masaki’s best attack on tape.

: Reiji Moritsugu, Head of JUDA’s Special Forces…
: Our squadrons have you marked as a target to exercise extreme caution against…
: You’re still selling me short. All the caution in the world won’t increase your odds of beating me.

: You think size is all it takes to make you strong, fatass?!
: Are you implying the Glain-Neidr’s size is its only merit? I suppose you’ll know better once you’re bested.

: I may have lost my absolute defense field, but beam attacks are still useless against the Glain-Neidr…!
: Beams, huh? But regular weapons should damage it just fine.
: Troops, engage the giant Machina using either melee attacks or physical ammo.

:siren: SRW UX - Life Goes On

: This unit fought in the last Great War. Was it luck that let it survive through it? If not, then I’d best be vigilant…
: A giant mobile weapon…! The general concept looks the same as a Destroy, so it must be packing some serious offensive and defensive capabilities!

This is the ONLY non-Beam weapon the Impulse has!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtW9RiGlCBk
And boom, here’s Kouichi’s new trick plus DK.

: Did we get him?!
: Hm, I’m impressed you pushed my Glain-Neidr as far as you did…
: Our mission here seems to be done. Retreating…

: Wait—!
: Tsk, he’s gone… I’ll put you down next time you turn up, ya hear!

: All enemy units confirmed destroyed or withdrawn. No further hostiles detected on radar.
: Looks like it’s over…
: (That defensive field Masaki used… it really was…)

Back at JUDA, Kouichi’s grumbles over Ishigami keeping them in the dark about so much stuff – not just about the Katou Organization having Machina, but about Moritsugu being born without a sense of pain. Seems like he meant it quite literally, too, which makes Kouichi feel like a jerk for what he said before. Maybe apologize, then? Eergh, he’s not too keen on that idea...
All this talk about Moritsugu does make Mike wonder where the guy ran off to. Yamashita figures he’s got more work to do – he’s been terribly busy with this whole Kiriyama business. Ishigami walks in right then, but he asks the annoyed Kouichi to save whatever he wants to say for later.
See, he’s got a new companion he’d like to introduce us to…

It’s Kurara Hiromi Tachi, newly assigned to JUDA’s secretarial staff as Ogawa’s assistant. Eida inwardly flips out to see her here and slowly introduces herself. “Huh? Hey, aren’t you…” Kurara rubs her chin, “… that famous singer?”
Ishigami steps in, saying Eida’s here to record JUDA’s newest ad. Kurara buys the story, and Eida’s relieved to see that her memories haven’t returned. But she knows Kurara still works as a cop, so there’s only one reason she’d be here: her public safety division had her infiltrate JUDA. Why? And, for that matter, Ishigami and Richard would surely know what’s up with her, so why are they apparently playing along with it?

Back at Kiriyama’s place, things are looking good for the plan to be put into action – the Jinrai’s mass-production’ll be over very soon. And about those, Moritsugu asks if he was really able to finish them just with the JUDA data he provided. That seems unlikely to him. Kiriyama praises his smarts and figures he might as well tell everything (he was planning on it anyway).
And the answer struts out the door as he calls in Yulianne, who’s been working as his right-hand woman and advisor in the Jinrai’s development. Kiriyama’s well aware that she’s one of the Katou Organization’s leaders here and, as it turns out, the Jinrai is something of a hybrid machine: it was based on both JUDA’s Machinas and the Katous’ Armas.

Moritsugu’s a bit silent, and Kiriyama asks what he thinks; with the three of them working together, they can put together the society they always dreamed of. Moritsugu confirms, and asks what his next task will be.
Well, Kiriyama just waiting for certain news to make the rounds and expose what’s going on inside JUDA. Once that happens, he’s all but sure the Japanese government’ll decide to bring JUDA to heel, granting Kiriyama’s company full authority over them.
Moritsugu doubts Ishigami’ll take that sitting down and Kiriyama agrees – this’ll likely have to be a very hostile takeover. Is Kiriyama going to attack JUDA in person? “That’s right. Which is why I’d like you to get rid of any potential obstacles. That way things’ll proceed without any hiccups,” he tells Moritsugu.
And, indeed, Moritsugu knows of one major potential obstacle…

Each route has a few lone additions made to this scene, so I’ll be putting everything together.

: Guys, we’ve got trouble! Turn on the TV!
: The TV…?

*Bloop.*

: Th-This is…!
: What you’re see, dear viewers, are images from the Tohoku region of Japan…
: Here are JUDA Corporation’s robots – what should be a Japanese defense organization – attacking the forces from the Martian Development Bureau!
: That’s from the battle around my village…!
: The hell’s going on…?!
: But JUDA’s units weren’t the only ones taking part in the attack!
: We also see the battleship of the Ladorians – those would-be conquerors of Earth –fighting on their side!
: Wh-What nonsense is this?! It’s like…
: Like we’re the bad guys here…!
: And they, of course, edited the footage to cut out anything that didn’t fit their narrative… I wager we’ll find Hazard’s fingerprints all over this.
: How much does that fat son of a bitch need to mess with us before he’s happy?!
: What is JUDA scheming that they’d ally themselves with alien invaders?
: Our show now welcomes Mr. Eiji Kiriyama, president of Kiriyama Heavy Industries, who will shed light on this matter.
: Kiriyama…?!
: People of Japan, I come to you today because the truth about JUDA must now be exposed.
: They have allied themselves not just with the Ladorians, but with a platoon of forces from the immigrant Frontier Fleet, the weapons from a parallel world that attacked the Union’s Yokosuka base, and even mysterious mechanical life forms as well…
: All of these elements sow chaos across our world, and we now have confirmation that all of them are massed under JUDA.
: What is he implying?!
: Worse, JUDA Corporation’s schemes aren’t limited to just these!
: Do you remember that despicable mob of terrorists, the Unknown Xtrikers, a.k.a. the Hell’s Executioners? They call JUDA’s building their headquarters!
: H-How can he say that…?!
: It’s awful… insane!
: We’ve only been fighting to protect people’s lives...!
: Arnie…
: The Japanese government has acknowledged the gravity of this situation and decided that it requires a full intervention…
: And they have seen fit to allow our company to oversee the subjugation of JUDA!
: But why would the government entrust this matter to a civilian company like yours…?
: We volunteered to take this upon ourselves because we are a civilian company. We will stand as representatives of the Japanese people, showcasing our iron will – a will that shall never submit to wanton violence.
: By sheer coincidence, tomorrow will be Christmas.
: And I vow to deliver a peaceful Japan as a present to everyone!

*Bloop.*

: … And there it goes.
: What’ll we do? I really don’t think we can launch an attack of our own after that.
: True… I suppose we should first make sure that all of our folks are doing well.
: There’s still the matter of the leaked confidential data. We should take this chance to look into everyone with access to it, yes?
: You’ve my deepest apologies, Ms. Tachi… it’s just awful that this happened so soon after you came aboard.
: N-No, I don’t blame you…
: (What’s going on...? I haven’t heard anything about this from government HQ…)
: (And the way these people are reacting is…)

: Brrr, it’s cold… Actually, now that I think about it, it’s almost Christmas, huh…?
: Been a while since I saw Risako, but I guess she must be putting together one of her parties…
: … Here you are, Hayase.
: Huh, Moritsugu…? What’s up? What’re you doing out here…?
: Sorry, but….
: You’re going to have to fight with me, Hayase…

: M-Moritsugu, why’d you call the Vardant for…? Why would we have to fight?!
: Amazing… You still don’t realize what’s staring you right in the face?
: Y-You don’t mean…?!
: It was you? You were the spy at JUDA…?
: You’re serious…
: You’re our leader, aren’t you?! Everyone here trusted you… How can you stab them in the back like that?!
: Even I’d come to at least respect you a little as we fought together…
: I was right… You really can’t even feel other people’s pain! You’re scum!
: What about you, then? Can you feel this one kind of pain I, who cannot feel physical pain, could experience?
: Shut your mouth, traitor!
: Fine… You always got on my nerves anyway!
: Come! Linebarrel…!

Here are the other route’s battle convos and ones we didn’t get:

: The Celestial Being’s Gundam… Would those GN Particles work on the Glain-Neidr…?
: His size is no obstacle. I just need to look for an opening and attack there!

--

: I’m real cranky today, kid. You better not hold back ‘cause I absolutely ain’t gonna!
: How can you fight like that?! What about all the people you might kill…?!

--

: He’s big, alright… but this isn’t our first time fighting giant enemies! Let’s go, Heroman!

--

: Keep your wits about you, Kurou! Machina and Deus Machina… I doubt that is a coincidence!
: Yeah, I know! Doesn’t look like he’s using magic, but that power of his still is…!

--

: So this is an Aura Battler… Let’s see what it can do.
: If you think you’re beating me by being big, you’re in for a surprise!
: You can’t lose to a guy like him, Shou!

--

: This is one of them famous Aura Battlers? Looks like a giant bug to me, and where I’m from, bugs get squished!
: I’ll make you work for it, though…! Come and see just how strong the Nanajin is!

--

: Your garments are reminiscent of a Shogun in the Sengoku Era…
: Pit your swordsmanship with mine – we shall see whose is superior!
: You would challenge me to a swordfight…? You intrigue me! Show me what the samurai of this world are capable of!

And TheMajinZenki got some vibes off Kouichi's new attack:

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 25, 2019

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Oh no! Reiji's flipped his portrait! :ohdear:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Sun Quan! :allears: Even after Lu Bu and Cao Cao arrived to steal the spotlight, he's still the nicest of the bunch.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Brunom1 posted:

Masaki’s voice actor: Susumu Chiba (other roles: Kyo in Steel God Jeeg, Baron in Aquarion, Welkin Gunther in Valkyiria Chronicls and man more)

Couple of typos here.

Brunom1 posted:

: Get down here, fatass! My sword’s gonna fillet you!
: What kind of idiot would descend after hearing that? Let me handle this – I’ll blast him off the sky!

While I know Kaido isn't the most stable guy out there, I'm pretty sure the second portrait should be Magami's.

quote:

: But it JUDA’s units weren’t the only ones taking part in the attack!

quote:

: By sheer coincidence, tomorrow is will be Christmas.

Couple of extra words here.

Also wow that...that was not the voice I expected from Masaki. At all. I was genuinely taken off-guard, that's a lot deeper than I imagined. Katou would be disappointed in me and my lacking imagination.

And one of the manga pages here should make it clear how neutered Jack was in the anime. He didn't grab a puny knife from a bad robot, he swung one of the Verdant's gigantic katanas as if it was completely weightless. Jack Smith is very cool.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

I found this mission kind of annoying myself, mostly due to the narrow bridge at the start. I had some fun draining Masaki's EN during the invincibility phase, though. Just kept on attacking him until he was clean out. More out of spite than anything else. Speaking of which, I'm pretty sure you missed a third conversation that comes from attacking him during that part.

Had a few other things to bring up here too, but got my missions mixed up. So I'll just say Mangabarrels continues to show why it's superior to Animebarrels...

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
Always good to see Jetstream Jack again.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Jack's back!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

You weren't kidding about the length of this chapter! Being 3 chapters in one update will do that, though arguably it spares you from doing two more in a way. Positive thinking!

And Mangabarrels continues to be best barrels, but at this point no one is surprised about that.

Looking forward to my Nova friends inconspicuously joining the rest of the talking heads doing non-pilot things while Eida continues to carry the Dancouga flag for them.

TheMajinZenki
Aug 17, 2005

That new attack used by the Linebarrel looked familiar.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The SD Gundams acting like mentors are kind of glorious.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hooray for the return of one of the Iczer Robos at least. And Mangabarrels really is much better than animebarrels.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

We need an SRW with Linebarrels, GaoGaiGar, G Gundam, Iczer-1, and Giant Robo, maybe Tekkaman Blade, Detonator Orgun, Daibuster, and Full Metal Panic, too. Just get a ton of people at normal human size beating the crap out of giant robots.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Add Evangelion. The final boss is Kaworu.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EclecticTastes posted:

We need an SRW with Linebarrels, GaoGaiGar, G Gundam, Iczer-1, and Giant Robo, maybe Tekkaman Blade, Detonator Orgun, Daibuster, and Full Metal Panic, too. Just get a ton of people at normal human size beating the crap out of giant robots.

That reminds me, after seeing Rennie's attack, I want to see Volfogg mentoring the Tobikage trio.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

EclecticTastes posted:

I'm gonna have to ask you to stop reading my unpublished fanfics, thanks in advance.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

GimmickMan posted:

Add Evangelion. The final boss is Kaworu.

Yeah but hes just controlling an eva, not actively punching.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

General Revil posted:

That reminds me, after seeing Rennie's attack, I want to see Volfogg mentoring the Tobikage trio.

Mentoring? I want to see Romina try to squeeze Volfogg into the cockpit of one of the Elshank's machines.

Either that or her signing Joe and co. into the colonial tournament in order to hound Schwarz Brüder.

: Have you seen this man?
: ...?

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brunom1 posted:

Mentoring? I want to see Romina try to squeeze Volfogg into the cockpit of one of the Elshank's machines.

He can have gun-dober and gun-glue pilot the other two machines to help.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

EclecticTastes posted:

How about Megazone 23 on top of that? Fighting giant robots on a motorcycle.

Reminds me that I need to get back to playing SRW D sometime. It's got some great series: besides that it had V Gundam, TV Gundam Wing, Getter Robo Armageddon, Big O, Godmars, Macross 7, Future Robo Daltanius (aka "could've been Voltron")...also even without knowing too much, an interesting plot.

SirSystemError fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 27, 2018

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Add in some Bubblegum Crisis, for even more motorcycle power armor.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

SirSystemError posted:

Reminds me that I need to get back to playing SRW D sometime. It's got some great series: besides that it had V Gundam, TV Gundam Wing, Getter Robo Armageddon, Big O, Macross 7, Future Robo Daltanius (aka "could've been Voltron")...also even without knowing too much, an interesting plot.

If that's the case, then we gotta add Dendoh for Vega.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

EclecticTastes posted:

Can we also add NieR to this? YoRHa vs Gundam is stirring something within me.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

AweStriker posted:

Can we also add NieR to this? YoRHa vs Gundam is stirring something within me.

This cannot continue.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mega Man is already in X-Omega, there's no excuse not to have at least one of his series.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Blaze Dragon posted:

Mega Man is already in X-Omega, there's no excuse not to have at least one all of his series.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Megaman would fit with more happy series like Might Gaine or Mazinger Z. Megaman X fits with more serious series like Gundam. Megaman Zero fits with post-apocalyptic series like Xabungle or Gundam X. Megaman Legends fits with water-focused series like Gargantia.

And more. Megaman is the perfect crossover series.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Megaman would fit with more happy series like Might Gaine or Mazinger Z. Megaman X fits with more serious series like Gundam. Megaman Zero fits with post-apocalyptic series like Xabungle or Gundam X. Megaman Legends fits with water-focused series like Gargantia.

And more. Megaman is the perfect crossover series.

Battle Network would fit perfectly together with Virtual-On! Y'know, if anyone cared about Battle Network. :smith:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

EclecticTastes posted:

Battle Network would fit perfectly together with Virtual-On! Y'know, if anyone cared about Battle Network. :smith:

That's part of the "And more". ;)

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Battle Network could totally work. BN6 had the CopyBots that Navis could load themselves into, combine that with tech from a series that uses instantly appearing weapons like Zone of the Enders or Vanquish and suddenly Megaman.EXE can stride into battle with everyone else.

The real trick would be to combine ALL of the different MegaMan franchises into one game with as little "Alternate dimensions" nonsense as possible.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

And one of the manga pages here should make it clear how neutered Jack was in the anime. He didn't grab a puny knife from a bad robot, he swung one of the Verdant's gigantic katanas as if it was completely weightless. Jack Smith is very cool.
Trust me, Jack Smith wasn't the only thing that got neutered in the anime adaptation. Wait until you meet manga Painkiller; it is very different from its anime counterpart.

SirSystemError posted:

Reminds me that I need to get back to playing SRW D sometime. It's got some great series: besides that it had V Gundam, TV Gundam Wing, Getter Robo Armageddon, Big O, Godmars, Macross 7, Future Robo Daltanius (aka "could've been Voltron")...also even without knowing too much, an interesting plot.
D is indeed a very interesting game. It is a rare case of CCA-era Char being smart; he puts Amuro and Bright on lockdown before attempting his Axis drop, rather than taunting them to come and stop him. And with the nuclear attack from Getter Robo Armageddon's early episodes reducing a lot of Earth's popultation to a crisp, results in his Neo Zeon faction being the only functioning military power in outer space (and to an extent, all of Earth for that matter). Basically, choosing the first space route in D means you are essentially joining CCA-era Neo Zeon.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

AradoBalanga posted:

D is indeed a very interesting game. It is a rare case of CCA-era Char being smart; he puts Amuro and Bright on lockdown before attempting his Axis drop, rather than taunting them to come and stop him. And with the nuclear attack from Getter Robo Armageddon's early episodes reducing a lot of Earth's popultation to a crisp, results in his Neo Zeon faction being the only functioning military power in outer space (and to an extent, all of Earth for that matter). Basically, choosing the first space route in D means you are essentially joining CCA-era Neo Zeon.

Plus things like Milliardo Peacecraft never becoming Zechs. Can also appreciate how much the original plot has an effect on things in D, compared to some games where it's shunted to the background or in others where it mainly provides another enemy faction. Like it sends the Axis drop off-the-rails, for example.

Speaking of the first space route in D, I especially like the contrast with the first units you get between that and the Earth route. If you go the former, you get all these Gundam aces and high class supporting characters. If you go the latter it's just Uso and your main character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Alacron posted:

Battle Network could totally work. BN6 had the CopyBots that Navis could load themselves into, combine that with tech from a series that uses instantly appearing weapons like Zone of the Enders or Vanquish and suddenly Megaman.EXE can stride into battle with everyone else.

The real trick would be to combine ALL of the different MegaMan franchises into one game with as little "Alternate dimensions" nonsense as possible.

Would you believe me if I told you that the Megaman franchise exists in only two timelines?

Basically there's the "main" timeline, comprised of Classic, X, Zero, ZX, and Legends/Dig-Outer Adventure Story in Halcyon Days (in exactly that order, ZX kind of explains how humans and reploids became indistinguishable/merged and became the people of Legends, which is why so many look kind of robotic), and there's the "Wily's robotics pitch is snubbed in favor of Dr. Light's programming skills to make the internet into Tamagotchis" timeline, comprised of Battle Network and Star Force.

SirSystemError posted:

Plus things like Milliardo Peacecraft never becoming Zechs.

I'm pretty sure it's just Zechs leaving the mask off, since he reverted to his true identity during the last arc of Wing, when he was piloting the Epyon with the White Fang. Sort of like how Char leaves the mask off for his CCA self.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Feb 27, 2018