Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
HIMYM was one of those shows that I didn't dislike nor like, it was just there. I've probably seen ten episodes and it was more of a better than nothing situation.

Arivia posted:

We have found him: the world’s dumbest man.

Count me as the other dumbest man because I don't like MASH either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Iron Crowned posted:

Count me as the other dumbest man because I don't like MASH either

Co sign. Way loving overrated. The Frank Burns episodes were pretty good but, man, that show just went on way too long and got more and more preachy and less funny.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That is in direct correlation to Alda getting more influential on the show

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
It's funny seeing tv networks making their own streaming services instead of making deals with existing ones. I hope they fail spectacularly.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Gaunab posted:

It's funny seeing tv networks making their own streaming services instead of making deals with existing ones. I hope they fail spectacularly.

The CBS one sucks. Like it could be good. The price is reasonable, the commercial breaks aren’t terrible, and CBS has decades worth of content - but they’re stingy with it. They don’t carry all their shows and some, like Dick Van Dyke inexplicably only have the first seasons.

It’s like they deliberately went out of their way to make it suck.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Sentient Data posted:

The fact that anyone can say that without a scoff and finger quotes is really strange

The thing that gets me is that it was designed to be 1,776 feet high.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

catlord posted:

The thing that gets me is that it was designed to be 1,776 feet high.

That's just our lucky number, okay.

Could be worse I guess.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Krispy Wafer posted:

That's just our lucky number, okay.

Could be worse I guess.

Japanese elevator, right?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Chinese. I don't know if the Japanese have the same issues with the number 4.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
They definitely do.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I get why there's no 4 or a 13, but what about the 14? They also wanted to make sure it wasn't an antisemitic elevator?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Everyone knows that 14 is really the 13th floor. They just totally eliminated it to be on the safe side.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Samuringa posted:

I get why there's no 4 or a 13, but what about the 14? They also wanted to make sure it wasn't an antisemitic elevator?

Many Asian buildings will omit any floor number which even contains four because of its association with death, just as many Western buildings omit the 13th floor because of bad luck or dad-focused buildings skip the 9th floor because 7 8 9.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Many Asian buildings will omit any floor number which even contains four because of its association with death, just as many Western buildings omit the 13th floor because of bad luck or dad-focused buildings skip the 9th floor because 7 8 9.

This also has the added benefit of turning, in this instance, a 13 floor building into a 16 floor building.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I think I read the number 4 is pronounced similar to the word for death so they just got rid of it to be safe.

I also heard the number 8 is considered so lucky that they put it on all the floors. So 81, 82, 83, 85 instead of 1, 2, 3, 5. Floor 88 is super lucky. But I couldn't find a picture of that, so maybe it's fake news.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
They're homophones, one is Shi and the other is Chi.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
I hope they know they're fooling themselves and you can't escape bad luck that way.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

:golfclap:

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Horror_Business posted:

I just finished watching HIMYM and Ted is the worst character on the show. I wish Bob Saget had played him in the final episode, at least...

Honestly I feel with 90% of sitcoms the main character is the worst character. They're so focused on making them relatable to the general audience they don't stand out to the strong personalities of the side characters.

But that said I think Ted's obsession with those red cowboy boots was great in it's stupidity.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I think that's what makes shows like Seinfeld or Arrested Development work so well. The main characters are arguably supposed to be sympathetic, and they think they are, but we see that they're just as bad as everyone else and the humor comes from them not winning in the way they think they are.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SpacePig posted:

I think that's what makes shows like Seinfeld or Arrested Development work so well. The main characters are arguably supposed to be sympathetic, and they think they are, but we see that they're just as bad as everyone else and the humor comes from them not winning in the way they think they are.

It’s Always Sunny is great for that too, in that Charlie is a pretty sympathetic character but he’s also a goddamn lunatic.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Kevin Can Wait had a funny retooling. In the second season Kevin James wife is killed to make room for Leah Remini so they could draw in King of Queens fans I guess.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Gaunab posted:

Kevin Can Wait had a funny retooling. In the second season Kevin James wife is killed to make room for Leah Remini so they could draw in King of Queens fans I guess.

King of Queens... fans? What a bizarre combination of words

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Calaveron posted:

King of Queens... fans? What a bizarre combination of words

Kevin Can Wait...funny? What an even more bizarre combination of words.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Patton Oswalt somehow filmed like 200 episodes of King of Queens

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Mu Zeta posted:

Patton Oswalt somehow filmed like 200 episodes of King of Queens

Who knows what darkness that creates in a man’s soul?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

This reminds me of a clip that I can't seem to find. There was an episode of King of Queens where a few scenes take place at a house party where there are lots of people (haven't watched, don't know the context) and one of them is Patton Oswalt's character. He doesn't do anything. I mean this both in the sense that he is a background character in the scenes, and also in the sense that he stands perfectly still in the exact same spot the whole time. No attention is brought to it, nobody ever reacts. I wish more shows would throw in something like that from time to time. Does anyone have the clip?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ariong posted:

This reminds me of a clip that I can't seem to find. There was an episode of King of Queens where a few scenes take place at a house party where there are lots of people (haven't watched, don't know the context) and one of them is Patton Oswalt's character. He doesn't do anything. I mean this both in the sense that he is a background character in the scenes, and also in the sense that he stands perfectly still in the exact same spot the whole time. No attention is brought to it, nobody ever reacts. I wish more shows would throw in something like that from time to time. Does anyone have the clip?

He's a stone-cold killer. What did you expect? Normal behavior?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

SpacePig posted:

I felt stupid because I didn't realize how awful Michael was until I rewatched AD.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Henchman of Santa posted:

I felt stupid because I didn't realize how awful Michael was until I rewatched AD.

He didn't seem to be too awful in the original episodes, but it very obvious in the Netflix episodes.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Same but Jim in the office.

Horror_Business
Jan 6, 2007

I'll put a knife right in you.

duck trucker posted:

Honestly I feel with 90% of sitcoms the main character is the worst character. They're so focused on making them relatable to the general audience they don't stand out to the strong personalities of the side characters.

But that said I think Ted's obsession with those red cowboy boots was great in it's stupidity.

Yeah, he's really overshadowed by the side characters (and the actors who portray them). He had plenty of good bits like the boots, but he's just really boring and inconsistent. I don't see a 30ish guy who's obsessed with marriage as relatable, unless they're really religious or something. He also whores around about as much as Barney does, which kind of cheapens that aspect of his character for me.

I know he's supposed to be a bit of a boring everyman, but he's also just plain boring in the context of the show.

JuiceOne
Sep 5, 2007

Ariong posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2QE3JpWfTo

He said on Twitter he doesn't remember doing it, but it's so obvious!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Horror_Business posted:

Yeah, he's really overshadowed by the side characters (and the actors who portray them). He had plenty of good bits like the boots, but he's just really boring and inconsistent. I don't see a 30ish guy who's obsessed with marriage as relatable, unless they're really religious or something. He also whores around about as much as Barney does, which kind of cheapens that aspect of his character for me.

It's a 50ish guy telling the story to his kids. "True" events re-contextualised through a lens of loneliness and desperation to bone Aunt Robin again.

The unrated version with all the strip club and smoking scenes restored is coming to netflix later this year.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Rirse posted:

He didn't seem to be too awful in the original episodes, but it very obvious in the Netflix episodes.

If you watch the first three seasons after the Netflix season it all makes sense. George Michael punching him is really based on years of putting up with his poo poo, not just a season's worth of it. He's every bit as self centered as his siblings and parents, just with more of his wits about him.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

If you watch the first three seasons after the Netflix season it all makes sense. George Michael punching him is really based on years of putting up with his poo poo, not just a season's worth of it. He's every bit as self centered as his siblings and parents, just with more of his wits about him.

With the added bonus of him looking down his nose at the rest of his family despite not being much better. I liked that his family calls him on this numerous times, and heck, they were right.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

JuiceOne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2QE3JpWfTo

He said on Twitter he doesn't remember doing it, but it's so obvious!

Aw, blocked in my country. No wonder I couldn’t find it!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Rirse posted:

There is the episode where he realises that he pushes George Michael far too hard when he is Mr Manager of the banana stand.

At that point m I realised that he was pretty screwed up. But the awfulness of all the rest of the family makes it less noticeable in comparison.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Maxwell Lord posted:

Except they thought they would be cancelled at the end of S4 so they rushed their major storylines to completion, leaving Season 5 to be about some business with psychics I think (good last episode, though.)

No plan survives contact with reality.

There were several more good bits in the last season of B5 but oh gods how much everything to do with loving Byron sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

I felt stupid because I didn't realize __________ until I rewatched AD.

That just means you're watching the show properly.

Related: it's hard to say whether that show will age better or worse for Jeffrey Tambor's character basically being in jail the whole time...