Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

VJeff posted:

There's something to it but it was so badly undercut by him going "well y'know Seth beat me because I'm so busy doing so many awesome things besides wrestling!"

Uh huh, I think you missed the point of that promo. Cena was saying he lost because he's not as focused on wrestling as he should be going into a big match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
So what's the full story on this:
https://twitter.com/alejandro_jr92/status/967844829165178885
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/967856509869633536
https://twitter.com/HeyHeyItsConrad/status/967858044666224641
I thought it was widely accepted that Jerry Jarrett would have taken over but Prichard and Patterson dispute it. I'm curious if anyone here knows what Patterson said exactly.

I've never heard of this guy but he shared a link to his podcast interviewing Jerry and he basically confirms Meltzer's side(44 minutes in):
https://twitter.com/DustinStarr/status/967859333294972928
http://www.cerritolive.com/cerrito-live-podcasts/cerrito-live-podcast-jerry-jarrett-talks-about-chicken-salad-bruce-prichard/

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

schweens posted:

So what's the full story on this:
https://twitter.com/alejandro_jr92/status/967844829165178885
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/967856509869633536
https://twitter.com/HeyHeyItsConrad/status/967858044666224641
I thought it was widely accepted that Jerry Jarrett would have taken over but Prichard and Patterson dispute it. I'm curious if anyone here knows what Patterson said exactly.

I've never heard of this guy but he shared a link to his podcast interviewing Jerry and he basically confirms Meltzer's side(44 minutes in):
https://twitter.com/DustinStarr/status/967859333294972928
http://www.cerritolive.com/cerrito-live-podcasts/cerrito-live-podcast-jerry-jarrett-talks-about-chicken-salad-bruce-prichard/

Mitigating factor: as we all know the Jarrett family are notoriously carny folk who are abundantly full of poo poo.

That said, Jerry was pretty successful in the 80's, it's not THAT hard to believe.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

mitigating mitigating factor: bruce pritchard is full of poo poo *especially* when it comes to being contrary to whatever meltzer says

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

All wrestlers are full of poo poo with the possible exception of Molly Holly

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Like 90% of Prichard's Dave rants are a work, I don't know how people keep buying it

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Benne posted:

Like 90% of Prichard's Dave rants are a work, I don't know how people keep buying it

wrestling fans have a long history of believing works are actually shoots

that said it is impressive how quickly conrad and prichard have built up a cult following. theres a legion of people on twitter who just blindly believe everything bruce says because 'he was there' or w/e

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

People want to believe shoots are works too

Montreal, benoit, etc

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hell, a lot of WRESTLERS think shoots are works. See the million guys who still think Montreal was a work, or Taz swearing Ronda's loss to Holm was worked.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Smoking Crow posted:

People want to believe shoots are works too

Montreal, benoit, etc

Kevin Sullivan was behind both of those.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
There's actual evidence that Jarrett was going to be used for that role. Prichard is just doing his thing.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

There's actual evidence that Jarrett was going to be used for that role. Prichard is just doing his thing.

Can you elaborate, or are you saving it for the podcast?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
i get frustrated with conrad because i like his show and prichard's recollections are actually a pretty important primary source for a poorly documented business that relies on opacity but the whole thing is twisted around to be 'prichard's facts vs dirtsheet lies' and the fans eat it up because they wanna be part of the show, and the hosts play into it because i guess its good business and helps sell shirts

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

MassRafTer posted:

I assumed Prichard's story was bullshit. He's straight up lied on his podcast before. Conrad bringing up Patterson made me curious.

At this point its obvious that Prichard is trying to play to the segment of fans who don't trust Meltzer and have the mentality of "only former workers/bookers opinions are valid".

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Beyond the prior consistent statements from multiple people you have the USWA/WWF working relationship and I think Jarrett even briefly lived in Stamford. Might be misremembering that one.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Also the fact that Pritchard is a known liar

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Yes, we already established he has worked in the pro wrestling industry.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I mean, so is Jarrett. I think MRT's stuff is a bit more substantial

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Not that I know any better, but it seems that good will towards Jerry is only reason why Jeff has ever had a career.

TheWorstAmy
Nov 27, 2009

I'm a stupid Twitch streamer
I have the Network and I want to start watching NXT. What I don't want to do is watch the lame reality show era. How far into the program, leading up to NXT Arrival, is the best place to start?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Amy Renee posted:

I have the Network and I want to start watching NXT. What I don't want to do is watch the lame reality show era. How far into the program, leading up to NXT Arrival, is the best place to start?

You basically want to start around NXT Arrival in February 2014 to get good NXT. That's when they began shifting NXT to a "What if you could get actual good indy wrestling in WWE" idea. By December of that year it's really taking off into the new format and starting to do "dream signings" on the reg.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My favorite Jarret family story is Christine Jarrett being friend's with Cornette's mom, and him waking up sometimes and coming into the kitchen and finding her snapping peas.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRafTer posted:

Beyond the prior consistent statements from multiple people you have the USWA/WWF working relationship and I think Jarrett even briefly lived in Stamford. Might be misremembering that one.

He did, and he drank like a fish up there because he was so miserable in the Northeast. According to Cornette, Vince wanted Jarrett because of their working relationship, Jarrett's track record, and the fact that Jarrett was a notorious cheapskate who, at the very least, wouldn't spend the WWE out of business while Vince was in prison.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
You guys think Jon Jones might start wrestling?

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

My guess is that if Jones gets a 4 year USADA suspension (most likely outcome) he will wrestle. UFC doesn't really view WWE as competition since they've already taken their entire casual fanbase, and Jones is gonna need the money.

An interesting but less likely possibility: Jones hosed up badly in the CSAC hearing and incriminated himself and his management team in basically flouting USADA's previous punishment. He may have talked himself into a lifetime ban. At that point UFC would likely terminate his contract and he would likely go fight in another country.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jenkem Delivery posted:

My guess is that if Jones gets a 4 year USADA suspension (most likely outcome) he will wrestle. UFC doesn't really view WWE as competition since they've already taken their entire casual fanbase, and Jones is gonna need the money.

An interesting but less likely possibility: Jones hosed up badly in the CSAC hearing and incriminated himself and his management team in basically flouting USADA's previous punishment. He may have talked himself into a lifetime ban. At that point UFC would likely terminate his contract and he would likely go fight in another country.

UFC won't terminate his contract because then he'd be able to go to Bellator when he is able to reapply for a license in California. He's made a ton of money in his life, he may not need to wrestle. He's probably also spent a ton...

Spikey Willow
Feb 26, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is there a new PSP podcast?

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

UFC won't terminate his contract because then he'd be able to go to Bellator when he is able to reapply for a license in California. He's made a ton of money in his life, he may not need to wrestle. He's probably also spent a ton...

Would the CSAC reinstate his license if he got a lifetime USADA ban? This is all theoretical here, the likely scenario is the 4 year ban.

Given how incompetent his management team looked yesterday it would not surprise me if they mismanaged his finances and pissed most of his money away. If he gets a 4 year ban wrestling is probably the most lucrative option available.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Would the CSAC reinstate his license if he got a lifetime USADA ban? This is all theoretical here, the likely scenario is the 4 year ban.

Given how incompetent his management team looked yesterday it would not surprise me if they mismanaged his finances and pissed most of his money away. If he gets a 4 year ban wrestling is probably the most lucrative option available.

They signed Mir while he was under suspension, and I guess he'll fight a couple days after the USADA suspension ends but they don't give a poo poo, they'll book stuff in Texas or England or wherever.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

dont even fink about it posted:

You basically want to start around NXT Arrival in February 2014 to get good NXT. That's when they began shifting NXT to a "What if you could get actual good indy wrestling in WWE" idea. By December of that year it's really taking off into the new format and starting to do "dream signings" on the reg.

Yeah, the answer to watching NXT is basically pick a Takeover and then just follow the TV after that.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In your opinion, is the Samoan drop a power move?

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

oldpainless posted:

No, but the pop up Samoan drop is

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

oldpainless posted:

Like, in a business meeting?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

St Evan Echoes posted:

Like, in a business meeting?

As a wrestling move in a wrestling ring during a wrestling match

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

oldpainless posted:

the way roman and the rock do it, where its all in one smooth motion, i'd say no, but if someone does like, gets them in position, holds it for a second, then falls back, yes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

shiksa posted:

the way roman and the rock do it, where its all in one smooth motion, i'd say no, but if someone does like, gets them in position, holds it for a second, then falls back, yes.

Soooo... Tatanka stronger than Roman, is what you're saying?

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Gaz-L posted:

Buffaloes are stronger than big dogs.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Gaz-L posted:

I mean, tatanka can successfully do a body slam on another wrestler so yes

also "Papoose-to-go" RIP brain

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I've noticed more and more vitriol getting spewed at Dave Meltzer on just about every wrestling community I've seen, is there a reason why it's so trendy now? And not even the Elgin thing, most wrestling fans online don't give a gently caress from what I've seen. I've heard that Prichard says a lot of poo poo about him on his poo poo podcast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's wrong a lot more now that Jericho is out for the time being.