Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Ultimate Mango posted:

Apparently the KHOMO ones all have backs. Sorry about that.

I picked up a Fire HD 8 with one of the generic covers with a clear plastic back and holy poo poo is it awful compared to the smart cover on my iPad. I'm amazed nobody seems able to manufacture a credible alternative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

BGrifter posted:

I picked up a Fire HD 8 with one of the generic covers with a clear plastic back and holy poo poo is it awful compared to the smart cover on my iPad. I'm amazed nobody seems able to manufacture a credible alternative.

It's not really surprising the covers suck on a device you buy specifically so your kids don't destroy your good tablet.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Actually I’m really impressed with the Fire HD 8. For $80 CAD it’s a remarkably solid little tablet. It won’t replace my iPad any time soon but I have zero regrets picking one up to play around with.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

BGrifter posted:

Actually I’m really impressed with the Fire HD 8. For $80 CAD it’s a remarkably solid little tablet. It won’t replace my iPad any time soon but I have zero regrets picking one up to play around with.

Don't get me wrong, for the price they're incredible. It's probably a case of being comfortable with what you started on though, because I can't stand the interface.

My mom has a mild addiction to them. She upgrades whenever a new one comes out so she has a small collection of tablets that she cycles through as batteries die down. That seems so foreign to me as I actually have stuff on my iPad and couldn't just pick up another one and starting working on it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Don't get me wrong, for the price they're incredible. It's probably a case of being comfortable with what you started on though, because I can't stand the interface.

Yeah I definitely prefer my iPad. I was looking for a cheap Android tablet to play around with since I have to help seniors with theirs at work on occasion. The Fire HD 8 is a million times better than the cheap Samsung and LG garbage I’ve seen over the years.

To steer things back on topic I found it jarring the difference in accessory quality between the two. I’m used to grumbling about the price but eventually paying for Apple stuff. It was a reminder that there’s an enormous difference between the feel of the $40 Smart Cover and the shoddy $12 knockoff from China.

I can only imagine what a horror show off brand AirPods must be.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

BGrifter posted:

I can only imagine what a horror show off brand AirPods must be.

You can find out for only $6.67! Or $18 if you want the pair!

http://www.dx.com/p/hbq-i7-mini-fashion-bluetooth-wireless-stereo-single-earphone-white-469521

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

So I received my Logitech Smart Keyboard Thin Folio for the 12.9” iPad Pro earlier this morning. I’ve been using it all morning and thought I’d give you guys my impression.

It is superior to both the CREATE (not a hard task) and the Apple Smart Keyboard. (Note this is NOT a Bluetooth keyboard)

Pros:

Keyboard is fantastic and has better feel than the Apple Smart Keyboard. It is much easier to touch type on this one.
Keyboard can be detached leaving back case on iPad.
Keyboard is backlit.
Part of the cover folds under the keyboard giving it a bit of elevation (or if you prefer extended, flattening the profile of the keyboard and give a sort of palm rest)
The kickstand is adjustable, meaning you are no longer locked into a single viewing angle in landscape.
Detach the keyboard and use stand for iPad in portrait profile. The only thing I can find a use for is video calls.
Has integrated Pencil holder.
Has extra row of keys at top for controlling media, backlight, screen brightness, etc...

Cons:

While in profile mode, you cannot use the keyboard.
Still a touch bulkier than using just an Apple Smart Keyboard with case.
Not cheap. $140-$150 depending on iPad model.

Overall 1st impressions - I like it a lot and would highly recommend.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
How would you characterize Wirecutter’s concerns? Valid? Overblown?

They really liked quite a bit about it but they had this to say as to why they didn't recommend it:

quote:

Unfortunately, while the Slim Combo is very good when typing at a desk or on a table, it has a number of significant flaws that make it difficult to generally recommend. For starters, it’s bulky and weighs 1.4 pounds on its own. While we like how the design separates the keyboard and case, the case protrudes significantly around the front edges of the iPad, which makes it uncomfortable to hold the iPad as a tablet. And the hinge that connects the keyboard to the iPad’s Smart Connector is flimsy enough that the keyboard can shift enough in your bag to wake the tablet. The pop-out stand is great for flat surfaces, but it’s not very stable on your lap and it can easily slip off your knees (especially on the larger 12.9-inch version). While the keyboard is excellent overall, the screen-lock key is just above the Delete key, so I found myself frequently locking the iPad’s screen while typing. Finally, a disconcerting number of customer reviews complain that the 12.9-inch version of the Slim Combo regularly starts music playback while the iPad is in a bag or being carried. If most of your iPad Pro use is at a desk or table, the Slim Combo offers the best typing experience we’ve yet seen, but the Smart Keyboard is a better option for most other situations.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 1, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thwomp posted:

How would you characterize Wirecutter’s concerns? Valid? Overblown?

They really liked quite a bit about it but they had this to say as to why they didn't recommend it:

I use my iPad almost exclusively on a “desk or flat surface”, so I really can’t answer that complaint.

It is thicker than just an Apple Smart Keyboard. Even with a back shell attached with the Apple SK, it’s still a little thicker, but not by much. It’s not irritatingly thick like the CREATE was.

The “lock screen” key complaint is valid, because I tripped it accidentally a few times using the CREATE, but no enough for it to be a deal breaker. Having access to the extra row of keys is a tradeoff I accept.

I *just* got it, so I’m sure some of this is New Car Smell. I’ll definitely be giving any updates if I encounter weirdness with it.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Mar 1, 2018

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Yesterday after work I stopped by a cigar lounge had a cigar and read a book on my 9.7 iPad Pro. I do this once a week. I left the lounge, went to my car, set the iPad on the passenger seat, and drove home. When I got home I put it on my kitchen table. An hour or so later I picked it up, opened the case (roocase origami) and to my complete surprise the two corners adjacent to the home button are cracked, about a half dozen hairlines on each that meander up the sides. WTF, this iPad was not dropped, was in a case, was absolutely fine - I have no idea how this happened and can think of nothing that would have stressed the ipad.

It's about 18 months old, and I don't have Apple care, so I'm not even talking to Apple. The cracks aren't affecting the screen, so I'm not going to pay the $350-$390 to fix it.

Anyone else seen anything like this? I'm totally mystified.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It can happen, and it's covered under warranty, and even at 18 months they might be willing to throw you a bone.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

porktree posted:

Yesterday after work I stopped by a cigar lounge had a cigar and read a book on my 9.7 iPad Pro. I do this once a week. I left the lounge, went to my car, set the iPad on the passenger seat, and drove home. When I got home I put it on my kitchen table. An hour or so later I picked it up, opened the case (roocase origami) and to my complete surprise the two corners adjacent to the home button are cracked, about a half dozen hairlines on each that meander up the sides. WTF, this iPad was not dropped, was in a case, was absolutely fine - I have no idea how this happened and can think of nothing that would have stressed the ipad.

It's about 18 months old, and I don't have Apple care, so I'm not even talking to Apple. The cracks aren't affecting the screen, so I'm not going to pay the $350-$390 to fix it.

Anyone else seen anything like this? I'm totally mystified.

I have a hairline crack on my iPad pro 10.5 that never leaves my desk at work. Not really thrilled about it. I had to put a glass screen protector on it because even though I can barely see it, my pencil catches on it every so often.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

funkymonks posted:

I have a hairline crack on my iPad pro 10.5 that never leaves my desk at work. Not really thrilled about it. I had to put a glass screen protector on it because even though I can barely see it, my pencil catches on it every so often.

Is it still under warranty and is the crack such that it can't be blamed on a drop or impact?

There was a leaked repair doc that said Apple should repair hairline cracks that showed no indication of a drop or impact. I think the hardware tolerances are such that any factory imperfections can cause spontaneous cracks.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ive mostly been an Android user but I have a 2017 iPad and is there a reason why even though i have auto updates on i have to go into the appstore and smash update all repeatedly before things actually update?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Go to Settings - iTunes and App Store and see if “updates” is on in the Automatic Downloads section. If it is, the iPad should automatically update when it’s plugged in, screen off, and connected to WiFi.

E: oops, I read gud. Maybe it’s the three condition part.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 10, 2018

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ios 11's app store is hosed up. The other day none of the stop buttons worked.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Regular Nintendo posted:

Ios 11's app store is hosed up. The other day none of the stop buttons worked.

It's just a garbage fire all around. I already hated the iOS appstore compared to Google Play but goddamn they managed to make it worse

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Automatic updates have been a crap shoot for a while in my experience. They've been a more consistent on my iPhone but with the iPad I think the initial release of iOS 10 is the last I remember it actually working.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Len posted:

Ive mostly been an Android user but I have a 2017 iPad and is there a reason why even though i have auto updates on i have to go into the appstore and smash update all repeatedly before things actually update?

You got me. My pro does the same loving thing. I’ll have 15 apps needed updates and it will stay like that for a few days then maybe it might update 10 of them. It’s so dumb.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Len posted:

It's just a garbage fire all around. I already hated the iOS appstore compared to Google Play but goddamn they managed to make it worse

I regarded the iOS store as superior to Google Play prior to iOS 11, but oh man has 11 flipped that view.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

For those of you complaining about the App Store on iOS. You can downgrade iTunes and still manage apps on your computer/laptop.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Sounds like trading one whole set of problems for another.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Sounds like trading one whole set of problems for another.

At least you can manage apps for multiple devices from one place. Old hand me down iPads for the kids? Downgrade iTunes and suffer slightly less sometimes.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

do you think anyone in history has ever used the Today tab on the iOS 11 App Store

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

do you think anyone in history has ever used the Today tab on the iOS 11 App Store

I...use it all the time?

I can see some of the complaints. Scrolling down the Today page right now I've gotten three different Sims Mobile ads and I've accidentally hit install at least twice on other apps, but overall I like the new setup. It's not like the app store has ever been good. Google has inexplicably always had a better quality app store even when the software inside was a dumpster fire of Chinese keyloggers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'll scan through it on the rare occasion I actually open the App Store.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Endless Mike posted:

I'll scan through it on the rare occasion I actually open the App Store.

Same. While it’s in the same tone as airline magazines the content isn’t bad though, and I find it much more valuable if it happens to come when I’m searching for a category of apps and I don’t know who’s good in that space.

Model Camper
Feb 12, 2008

Just 'cause you got a rocking horse don't mean you can rock.

I work for a company that’s had apps featured there (we have one right now!) and I can assure you that people use it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I love the new App Store

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I’ve found that, for someone coming back to iOS and hadn’t used it since 2015, the Today feature can have some really cool features and I’ve found some of their highlights super useful.

I can see myself using it a lot less if I had kept up with the iOS ecosystems regularly over the past few years.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
Has anyone gone from the 10.5 pro to the 12.9 pro and regretted it?

I have spent quite a few years trying to move to a digital solution for my note taking/diagraming/etc and the 10.5 with the Pencil was the first time I found myself in a position where I have been able to go digital from a feel/usage point. However I can not shake the feeling that the 12.9 inch with the extra wiggle room might serve my needs even better.

I keep hearing that its "too big" though, which honestly I rarely take my iPad out of the house anyway so I am not entirely sure how much of an issue this would be.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The 12.9 is perfect.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Are there any cheap USB-to-Lightning adapters for an iPad? I always use my iPad in Landscape mode, which can fray even my Ankers, and if I use an adapter for the iPad itself, that should reduce the bending on both cables a fair amount.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

The 12.9 is perfect.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think it's too big for most things tbh. But it's a good size for the main thing I use it for. :shrug:

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I have a feeling that trying to read things (like on Kindle) on such a giant screen would be annoying for me. And every time I've held it at a store it's seemed unwieldy for my tastes. Then again, my 10.5" Pro is 85% consumption 15% production so my needs are quite a bit different. But 10.5" is the sweet spot for me for sure.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

MarcusSA posted:

The 12.9 is perfect.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
I never found it too much in the store but you know what its like, nothing accounts for real world usage.

Honestly the reason I am leaning towards it more and more is I have found I am having fun learning how to sketch than I thought I could possibly have. In addition I have begun "colouring" with an Application that supports the Apple Pencil as an actual pencil and I have found it amazing in helping me to relax and what not, a little more room could not hurt though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

insidius posted:

I never found it too much in the store but you know what its like, nothing accounts for real world usage.

Honestly the reason I am leaning towards it more and more is I have found I am having fun learning how to sketch than I thought I could possibly have. In addition I have begun "colouring" with an Application that supports the Apple Pencil as an actual pencil and I have found it amazing in helping me to relax and what not, a little more room could not hurt though.

Yup get the 12.9.

Seriously I’ve had the thing since launch and I’m still amazed at how light it feels compared to how large it is. It’s God’s perfect tablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

insidius posted:

In addition I have begun "colouring" with an Application that supports the Apple Pencil as an actual pencil and I have found it amazing in helping me to relax and what not, a little more room could not hurt though.

Do you have any recommendations? I’ve looked at Pigment, but I kind of balk at the $9.99/mo ($59/year) price.