Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

facialimpediment posted:

Minimal, since we're no longer in a Handel-Ossoff Special Election where shitloads of money were blown for just one house seat. Still, it would probably be a good idea to wait until after Primary Season is over.

Avoid the DNC at all costs until they unfuck themselves (won't happen). The DCCC (Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee) is not as terrible, since it's run by the House Democrats, but it's still pretty terrible because it's a national committee working on a national strategy. Most of what the DCCC does is accumulate money, decide which races nationally are the most winnable, then shoot money to the "proper" local candidate. Same idea for the DSCC for Senators.

Donate to the candidates you believe in, directly. Chances are that they know their district better than any of the national organizations would and they can use the money more effectively.

https://mic.com/articles/186648/is-the-democratic-congressional-campaign-committee-stifling-dissent-within-the-party

^ posted this earlier but DCCC money comes with ridiculous strings attached. If you want real change, the primaries are the most important time to pay attention and give time and money to the candidates that best represent you. We desperately need a left version of the Tea Party.

If there's one silver lining to Trump it's exposing once and for all that american political parties have no actual control over who their candidates will be and if you can force your guy through a primary they'll be stuck with him no matter what. It's the only way to get anywhere.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

shame on an IGA posted:

Survivors get sloppy seconds after the parents but everyone who's said "crisis actors" with a straight face also enters the lottery

The crisis actor conspiracy theorists should automatically win in addition to the normal uh, decimees?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

shame on an IGA posted:

If you want real change, the primaries are the most important time to pay attention and give time and money to the candidates that best represent you. We desperately need a left version of the Tea Party.

You very well might be right, but the big question that the 2018 general election will decide: Who has the easier chance of winning a slightly-Trumpy district, a hard-left Democrat or a Mushy Moderate Motherfucker?

No matter what, Trump is still the President and any policies have to run through him, so anything good proposed by a Better Democrat won't get through. I have the "bigger fish to fry" / "just win, baby" viewpoint. I don't give a drat about the policy or ideological lean the Democratic nominee puts forward so long as a house of Congress goes Democrat. $100 to the Democratic nominee is likely more useful than $100 to a primary candidate that could lose.

Primary the mushy moderates in 2020, bigger fish to fry right now.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

shame on an IGA posted:

^ posted this earlier but DCCC money comes with ridiculous strings attached. If you want real change, the primaries are the most important time to pay attention and give time and money to the candidates that best represent you. We desperately need a left version of the Tea Party.

The response to anti-democratic political radicalism is not to engage in the same behaviour in reverse.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

The Iron Rose posted:

The response to anti-democratic political radicalism is not to engage in the same behaviour in reverse.

Think he means have some hard left mindsets to drag the party towards standing for something and having a spine by presenting a valid primary from the left option.

If their entire presence in Congress can just be run over and counted on to cave then it's not a valid opposition party. The tea party definitely showed the GOP that milquetoast centrism would only go so far.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Apparently Allison Hollister or something similar is a reasonable candidate besides De Leon. One is more in line with how the current mood is, and the other is going to be a target because he is the son of an immigrant, regardless of what stance he has. “Of course he supports DREAMERs, he’s an immigrant!”

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Soulex posted:

Apparently Allison Hollister or something similar is a reasonable candidate besides De Leon. One is more in line with how the current mood is, and the other is going to be a target because he is the son of an immigrant, regardless of what stance he has. “Of course he supports DREAMERs, he’s an immigrant!”

A mixed race Latino would probably sell pretty well in CA and support for DACA is pretty high here so that probably wouldn't be a huge detraction. He is basically the embodiment of the American dream.

Side note: My college is one of the most expensive CSUs and we have a proposal to levy a fee on out of state students rising each year for the next four years to 8000 or so. It would give low income/minority students grants for non-fee costs. Curious how it will be viewed and what effect it will have on the student body.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

lightpole posted:

A mixed race Latino would probably sell pretty well in CA

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Im not saying he won’t be good, Im talking about the other side.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
There's extremely conservative pockets around the state but those only matter for house seats. I'm not sure that those kind of attacks would be able to gain much traction.

After all, the Dem primary will decide that seat unless a Roy Moore episode happens to the party. What really matters is how that contest is fought, whether it's a push to the extreme or a focus on centrism. Either way, I'm just hoping for a younger senator.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Vasudus posted:

Regardless of her policy stances, I want her out because she's :decorum: incarnate and thinking like it's 1988 isn't working in 2018. The game has changed, and Democrats need new blood to adapt.

You left out "repeatedly advocates for giving a blank check to the surveillance state" and "is part of 'fundamentally misunderstands encryption' krew"

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
if you took away her gun control stance Feinstein would be a 2000s Republican

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Proud Christian Mom posted:

if you took away her gun control stance Feinstein would be a 2000s Republican

This is essentially accurate.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

mlmp08 posted:

This is essentially accurate.

Californian Democrats can be weird as gently caress and all over the political spectrum.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Noted fatass, Kevin Smith, survived a heart attack last night.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

ElMaligno posted:

Californian Democrats can be weird as gently caress and all over the political spectrum.

The ones with money(ie the ones the represents) are just Republicans who get a little squeamish when it comes to gassing the gays.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Noted fatass, Kevin Smith, survived a heart attack last night.

Post the jorts

Also Georgia house passes bill banning gays and lesbians from adopting Allah akbar

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
From the jorts themselves,

https://twitter.com/ThatKevinSmith/status/968038297200091136

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Waroduce posted:

Post the jorts

Also Georgia house passes bill banning gays and lesbians from adopting Allah akbar

:smith: Yeah, my loving state. I hope someone jumps on suing it fast.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Dang, one of my former co-workers and good friend is from GA and he and his husband both adopted a kid this past year. They live in IN right now but were talking about moving back to GA next year. Wonder what they are gonna do now or if this would only apply going forward.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

He's gonna look funny as gently caress in those jorts when he loses weight (assuming he does take home the lesson from that heart attack, that is)

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

He looks a lot thinner than when I saw him in 2010.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

That Works posted:

Dang, one of my former co-workers and good friend is from GA and he and his husband both adopted a kid this past year. They live in IN right now but were talking about moving back to GA next year. Wonder what they are gonna do now or if this would only apply going forward.

Its only going to apply moving forward and is a 'Religious Freedom' bill in that it applies only to groups that want the ban.

But there's very little chance the ban will stick and I fully expect them to get sued.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/CBCEnt/status/968126299897237504

Hopefully he gets jail time eventually from all the accusations too

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

That Works posted:

They live in IN right now but were talking about moving back to GA next year. Wonder what they are gonna do now or if this would only apply going forward.

You seriously think the government would confiscate the kids of people coming in from out of state? Really? A state can't tear up a birth certificate or adoption contract, regardless of the bills they pass. Ex post facto laws haven't ever been a valid thing, it's only been that way for hundreds of years.

Poppyseed Poundcake fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 26, 2018

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

You seriously think the government would confiscate the kids of people coming in from out of state? Really? A state can't tear up a birth certificate or adoption contract, regardless of the bills they pass.

No, but I wouldn't put it past them to make things harder on the people that have done so going forward. Ie, having an extremely low threshold for getting CPS involved for them vs non-homosexual adopted cases.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

You seriously think the government would confiscate the kids of people coming in from out of state? Really? A state can't tear up a birth certificate or adoption contract, regardless of the bills they pass. Ex post facto laws haven't ever been a valid thing, it's only been that way for hundreds of years.

....well, you say that: Alabama, Arkansas, and a couple others are trying to do just that by basically trying to negate gay marriage certificates or even make it more difficult to defend gay adoptions in courts.

They've also been trying to make it easier for CPS to take kids from gay families out of 'concern'.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

FAUXTON posted:

He's gonna look funny as gently caress in those jorts when he loses weight (assuming he does take home the lesson from that heart attack, that is)

He dropped 80+ lbs over the past couple of years. I think he put a few back on, but dude is fairly normal sized now. And still wears the jorts and jerseys.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The Supreme Court officially declined to immediately hear Trump challenges to the DACA hold and the Travel/Muslim ban. They'd rather it all get gummed up in the appeals process.

Don't know how long that will keep Trump hosed on both issues, but it'll be a while.

https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/968134318601187328

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Godholio posted:

He dropped 80+ lbs over the past couple of years. I think he put a few back on, but dude is fairly normal sized now. And still wears the jorts and jerseys.

That's pretty impressive, can't say I've sought out news or anything but most of the press images of him that I've seen seem to be older ones from some years back where he's heavier/dressed like Silent Bob.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

FAUXTON posted:

That's pretty impressive, can't say I've sought out news or anything but most of the press images of him that I've seen seem to be older ones from some years back where he's heavier/dressed like Silent Bob.

I listen to a couple of his podcasts, and occasionally it comes up at a live show. He cut all sugar out of his diet for quite a while, but he never really dwelt on it except for very early on when it sucked before his body adjusted. You could tell he hated it, but he kept trying to keep it in perspective by talking about Mewes kicking heroin and all his poo poo.

Edit: Silent Bob dressed mostly like him. That was his actual coat.

Edit2: V Oh, no question. Dude was fat as gently caress for decades.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 26, 2018

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Godholio posted:

Yeah I think the damage was already done, though. Hope he keeps up the healthy thing.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

facialimpediment posted:

The Supreme Court officially declined to immediately hear Trump challenges to the DACA hold and the Travel/Muslim ban. They'd rather it all get gummed up in the appeals process.

Don't know how long that will keep Trump hosed on both issues, but it'll be a while.

https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/968134318601187328

Eh ICE is going to start rounding them up regardless. Who’s going to stop them?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

You guys make it sound like you wouldn't walk around in wife-beaters and silkies all day if you had Kevin Smith's money.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

MA-Horus posted:

You guys make it sound like you wouldn't walk around in wife-beaters and silkies all day if you had Kevin Smith's money.

What do you mean wouldn't? I walked around in silkies all the time on weekends on beaches and boats around kbay and im not even a marine. Comfortable as hell.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Laranzu posted:

Think he means have some hard left mindsets to drag the party towards standing for something and having a spine by presenting a valid primary from the left option.

If their entire presence in Congress can just be run over and counted on to cave then it's not a valid opposition party. The tea party definitely showed the GOP that milquetoast centrism would only go so far.

The lesson you should take away from the tea party is not that you have to hurtle towards one end of the spectrum; it's the one that Indivisible took away immediately after the 2016 elections. The Tea Party was effective because it 1) had coherent, unified messaging and 2) put direct pressure on local politicians to do what they wanted them to do.

Now, much to Iron Rose, known goblin's, chagrin, the groups that seem to be coming closest to that strategy are further left than who Iron Rose brunches with, yaaasss, but who knows if it sustains momentum.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

The lesson you should take away from the tea party is not that you have to hurtle towards one end of the spectrum; it's the one that Indivisible took away immediately after the 2016 elections. The Tea Party was effective because it 1) had coherent, unified messaging and 2) put direct pressure on local politicians to do what they wanted them to do.

Now, much to Iron Rose, known goblin's, chagrin, the groups that seem to be coming closest to that strategy are further left than who Iron Rose brunches with, yaaasss, but who knows if it sustains momentum.

Radical Centrism however is a bottomless pit of momentum. Its the lettuce of the candidate salad. Not good on its own but making up way to much of the serving.

And I've started to think of the terminology in different ways, groupings of democrats in a way.

Centrism is 'this is fine' inaction until the winds of the rest of the party blow one way or the other.
Progressive means you want constant slow positive change, such as opt in medicare and better education funding, and political maneuvers to get a little bit each year.
And Radical Leftism is medicare for all and UBI and such as fast as possible with as little time for conservatives to adjust or roll things back before its benefits sink in.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/968155353912369152

Riiiiiiiight

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
He’d have stabbed the shooter with his mighty bone spurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
but bone spurs

• Locked thread