Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

steinrokkan posted:

Are the only two reasons for engaging other people to "rile them up" or "to produce art"?

Anything you do is framed as being something in your own mind. Engaging with strangers and foreigners on a forum such as this with all the different bits of nuance, avatars, sub forums, etc. in my mind is something more than just bored white noise chit chat. If modern art can be a pile of trash, then my or your posting, or video games, can be art too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

He was only referring to semi-automatic weapons, not guns entirely I think. You can still hunt etc with a bolt-action rifle or whatever.

Yup, but the rural thing is the only reason I'm not in for a total gun ban. Otherwise, I'm whole hog.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Solice Kirsk posted:

No one would turn them in. Everyone would hold onto their guns, wait for the law to be enacted, and then sell them for ridiculous amounts of money since now there's a black market for them.

edit:
Remember how well criminalizing booze turned out?

I think you're overstating how many people would do that. There are a shitload of people who wouldn't even know where to begin buying weed. Similarly there is a shitload of people who would have no idea how to or inclination to put themselves in contact with a black market arms dealer.

Anywho, here's a phuo: I am going to bat for my man HP Lovecraft. His works are fun.

He is funnier than people think. Sweet Irmengarde is legit a good comedy story, and stuff like Herbert West, The Hound, and The Temple have some funny lampooning in them.
He wasn't actually a turbogoon shut in. He traveled extensively when he could and kept regular correspondences, he was just pretty broke.
His purple prose is, well, it is, but it gets way better in his later stories, and works decently because he sucked at characterization, so all his narrators are self-inserts. Bad news for his objective writing skills but if you just read the good stories, it works because the narrator is just as much of that kind of dude as HP.

I won't defend his racism tho, dude was racist as all gently caress even by the standards of the 1920s and being uncomfortable about that language is a great reason to not read his poo poo. The only thing I can say is that the godawful racism doesn't appear in his later/better stories. Some folks think he rolled back on his awful views later in life, some don't, but they don't appear in the stories worth reading.

In any case, the dude would've been a forums superstar.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Das Boo posted:

Yup, but the rural thing is the only reason I'm not in for a total gun ban. Otherwise, I'm whole hog.

Fair enough. I guess you could make some arguments (and I see it a lot from the people who want a total ban) that you can hunt with non-firearms in most situations, but like if you're trying to stop a grizzly/polar bear trying to eat you you kind of need a gun 99% of the time unless you get extremely lucky with your arrow. Also I am not a hunting expert but I would think it's far more likely to cause unnecessary suffering in the animal if you don't get the perfect shot the first time.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

He wasn't actually a turbogoon shut in. He traveled extensively when he could and kept regular correspondences, he was just pretty broke.

He did write to people a lot, but had like no real life friends. So called normal people don't travel out to hang out with their 13 year old pen pal, who is their best friend.

Would've made a great goon tho.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Fair enough. I guess you could make some arguments (and I see it a lot from the people who want a total ban) that you can hunt with non-firearms in most situations, but like if you're trying to stop a grizzly/polar bear trying to eat you you kind of need a gun 99% of the time unless you get extremely lucky with your arrow. Also I am not a hunting expert but I would think it's far more likely to cause unnecessary suffering in the animal if you don't get the perfect shot the first time.

I'm no expert either, but from what I understand you're right! I worked at a cell store with a hunter and he would tell me about it during lulls. I remember him saying the objective is to kill the animal instantly because a wounded animal releases adrenaline and adrenaline spoils the meat.

And on animal attacks, there was a story about a woman driving a pen as deep as it would go in a goddamn cougar's eye and it wasn't enough to get it to release her husband's head. :gonk:
She had to repeatedly beat it with a log that was nearly too big for her to lift until it finally let go. They both lived, but animal attacks are no loving joke.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

For pro-gunban people does the fact the cops are not legally obligated to protect you hold any sway over your opinions?

Edit: accidentally a word. poo poo

Coredump has a new favorite as of 17:08 on Feb 26, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Coredump posted:

For pro-gunban people does the fact the cops are legally not obligated to you hold any sway over your opinions?

Cops should have access to firearms. Cops in the US are in need of serious reform. These are not contradictory opinions.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Edgar Allen Ho I had to edit my post to make it less word salad and more approaching a coherent thought.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

If the amount of guns around is reduced, the need for you to have a gun to engage in a gunfight is also reduced.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Coredump posted:

For pro-gunban people does the fact the cops are not legally obligated to protect you hold any sway over your opinions?

Good point, postpone the gun ban until after the Great Cop Purge.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Coredump posted:

That's a serious problem, but I'm not sure what it has to do with my semi-automatic gun ban idea? Are you referring to the discredited concept of using a gun for self-defense? Because a gun in the home is something like ten times more likely to be used on a member of the household than an intruder.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw a good article recently written by a nurse or doctor that talked about how they are really good at treating gun wounds now. Like the type of wounds from gang violence and whatnot from hand guns. If you get to the hospital there's a good chance they can repair the wound and you'll survive. But with the recent proliferation of guns like the AR 15 there's literally nothing doctors can do to help you. Get shot in the lungs area and your lungs basically explode and you're 100% dead. There's really no reason for regular people to have access to more than a hand gun or maybe those hunting rifles. The only reason is if you plan on killing a person at some point.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm in the planning stages of moving to NYC and the urban housing market of this decade/s is godawful

Like I have lived in 3 countries and in towns with popultion of 10-500k but aaaaaaah this enormous city is a different thing altogether?

who to trust?

I guess that isn't exactly unpopular but it isn't super popular

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I'm not really sure what the opinion even is? Just that it's really expensive? That's just a fact not really an opinion.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

I saw a good article recently written by a nurse or doctor that talked about how they are really good at treating gun wounds now. Like the type of wounds from gang violence and whatnot from hand guns. If you get to the hospital there's a good chance they can repair the wound and you'll survive. But with the recent proliferation of guns like the AR 15 there's literally nothing doctors can do to help you. Get shot in the lungs area and your lungs basically explode and you're 100% dead. There's really no reason for regular people to have access to more than a hand gun or maybe those hunting rifles. The only reason is if you plan on killing a person at some point.

Getting shot in the lungs with a hunting rifle will have the same affect as getting shot in the lungs with a AR-15. You'd just have to bolt or pump before pulling the trigger again unlike a semi-auto.

Honestly the semi-auto ban is one that I think has more of a chance of working. It's still never gonna happen, but at least it makes more sense than banning all guns.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

I'm not really sure what the opinion even is? Just that it's really expensive? That's just a fact not really an opinion.

You're not wrong, I'm just frustrated and frantically posting

Solice Kirsk posted:

Getting shot in the lungs with a hunting rifle will have the same affect as getting shot in the lungs with a AR-15. You'd just have to bolt or pump before pulling the trigger again unlike a semi-auto.

Honestly the semi-auto ban is one that I think has more of a chance of working. It's still never gonna happen, but at least it makes more sense than banning all guns.

the amount of lethal or non-lethal trauma with these guns is dependent on the ammunition, not the gun itself

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 21:58 on Feb 26, 2018

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
make it so the semi-auto rifles have to be stored at a range

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I like Switzerland's system - everyone has a gun in their home, but ammo is only handed out if necessary for the whole militia scenario (and supplied at ranges I guess, I never actually saw a shooting range there though but then again I wasn't looking).

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

starkebn posted:

make it so the semi-auto rifles have to be stored at a range

I thought about that, but I guarantee you that what you'd end up wtih is people getting their backyards declared shooting ranges.

Gotta be a ban

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Solice Kirsk posted:

No one would turn them in. Everyone would hold onto their guns, wait for the law to be enacted, and then sell them for ridiculous amounts of money since now there's a black market for them.
Gun buybacks and amnesties have worked in other countries. Obviously not everyone hands over their guns, but it gets rid of a lot. And most people who keep their guns don't sell them on the black market, because if they wanted to get rid of them and make some money there was a perfectly legal (and convenient) way to do that during the buyback.

Das Boo posted:

Actually, how'd Australia handle the rural bit?
By only banning some guns, not all.

Coredump posted:

For that question to make any kind of sense at all you have to assume that having a gun for self-defence is a good idea, and it isn't. The unspoken assumption is that you need a gun to defend yourself and therefore without a gun you'd need something else instead, but the first part of that is already wrong so the second part is also wrong.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Coredump posted:

Neither is any other criminal gang so what's your point :confused:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The only reason Praying by Kesha didn't win a Grammy is because the upper echelons of the entertainment industry are so infested with rapists and abusers that they literally disagree with the message of the song

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
That song is amazing, and Kesha is lovely. You're right.

Unrelated unpopular music opinion: Good dubstep is amazing and I love it. It sounds like ED209 falling down the stairs at a NASCAR event in a good way. I don't understand the hate.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
"So what music do you like" is a lovely lovely lovely conversation starter

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

fizzymercy posted:

That song is amazing, and Kesha is lovely. You're right.

Unrelated unpopular music opinion: Good dubstep is amazing and I love it. It sounds like ED209 falling down the stairs at a NASCAR event in a good way. I don't understand the hate.

Good anything music is amazing, lazy anything music is garbage

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I hate it in any part of the conversation honestly. It's one of those questions that will always lead to an argument if you like something they don't or a pointless circlejerk if you like the same things.

I've never been a music person though. I always got insulted when someone tells me to put some music on when we're driving somewhere. Like yeah fine I didn't want to talk to you either.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

music makes you feel good, if you're human

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

I hate it in any part of the conversation honestly. It's one of those questions that will always lead to an argument if you like something they don't or a pointless circlejerk if you like the same things.

I've never been a music person though. I always got insulted when someone tells me to put some music on when we're driving somewhere. Like yeah fine I didn't want to talk to you either.

But why not do both? I always play music while driving, and talk to passengers unless they're asleep or related to me.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Polyseme posted:

But why not do both? I always play music while driving, and talk to passengers unless they're asleep or related to me.

I hate talking over music especially when I'm not in control of the radio volume (i.e. in the back seat). Honestly though that post was more directed toward people that put in earbuds and stare at their phone the whole trip. It makes you feel like you're their personal driver and they just put that divider thing limos have (or used to have, I don't know) up.

And I do like some music occasionally, I just don't like talking about it or having to raise my voice to talk over it.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Electric Six is my favorite band. I don't even feel guilty.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I’ll talk about music with anyone but there are definitely better ways to find out if someone is a kindred spirit in that regard

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Always respond with "I don't like any music except rap and country"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

I’ll talk about music with anyone but there are definitely better ways to find out if someone is a kindred spirit in that regard

It took me a while back in the day to realize that if some girl in the night club comes up to you and asks "Do you like Sonic Youth?", it's best to just lie.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Jerry Cotton posted:

It took me a while back in the day to realize that if some girl in the night club comes up to you and asks "Do you like Sonic Youth?", it's best to just lie.
"I like the music from the Sonic games!"

Fake edit: depending on audience, this may or may not count as an unpopular opinon.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Paul.Power posted:

"I like the music from the Sonic games!"

Fake edit: depending on audience, this may or may not count as an unpopular opinon.

Well the music is better than the game-play.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

Always respond with "I don't like any music except rap and country"

I think the most effective answer that almost guarantees a judgemental/annoyed response is to say you only like country, but only the modern/"bro" kind. Almost everyone seems to detest that genre, even people who like country - most of them are the exact opposite and will always specify "but only oldschool country".

It's actually mostly true for me at least as far as my taste in country music though, it is just a coincidence that it's also the answer I'd pick if I wanted to troll someone.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Ooh Jesus, I just saw on the news that Iowa was selected as the best State this year. Good thing Jastiger is super banned or we'd never hear the end of it.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aramek posted:

Ooh Jesus, I just saw on the news that Iowa was selected as the best State this year. Good thing Jastiger is super banned or we'd never hear the end of it.

He'd be too busy perving in women's pms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I agree only because this question makes me freeze up, in the same way going into a record store back when that was a thing I did used to: wait, what the gently caress do I like, again?

A better version of that question as an ice breaker is probably, like, "what have you been listening to lately?"