Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
Redoing the tracker's about page (https://starcitizentracker.github.io/about/)

I'm soliciting endorsements to appear on that page and in a new presskit section.

Please use the following format so I don't doxx anyone:
Endorsement: A really great site! I use it for All my FUD! Other sites on the internet are utter rancid poo poo!
Attribution: Anonymous

Fill out this google form instead: link

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Risc1911 posted:

We decided it was necessary to push Bind Culling back for the following reasons:

1) Progress has been slower than we had hoped, partly due to taking longer than anticipated to convert the last few places in the code that were using old-style Aspects and RMIs to Serialized Variables and Remote Methods, and then completely strip those legacy systems from the network code. That was a necessary step because we didn't want to have to implement Bind Culling for both the old and new systems. I'm not embarrassed to tell you there was some dancing and a few air-punches on my part when the last line of that old code was deleted.

2) There wouldn't have been enough time left before 3.1 for the network and gameplay programmers to deal with the issues we’re expecting the introduction of Bind Culling to cause.

3) Bind Culling would result in clients streaming entities in and out based on distance, but without asynchronous Object Container Streaming it was always a gamble whether the resulting synchronous loading stalls would be worse or better than what players experience now. The plan was to get Bind Culling working, see what the impact on player experience was and then make the call whether to turn it on for 3.1.

4) Range-based Serialized Variable Culling was our backup plan in case Bind Culling didn't make it into 3.1. You may remember that we were working on SV Culling for 3.0 but that it wasn't quite ready in time. Well, it was the first thing we tackled when we came back at the start of the year, and has been working in our development branch for several weeks now (not the branch 3.0.1 was taken from). SV Culling already gives us a lot of the performance gain we would expect from Bind Culling so the urgency for the later has dropped significantly.

5) The network team is needed for other tasks that have increased in priority since they were first added to our schedule.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/50259/thread/what-is-the-technical-reason-to-push-bind-culling-/977329

No matter what their failure was, whenever they go into Excuse Mode, they always liberally sprinkle it with "3.0! 3.0.1! 3.1!" to make sure the false narrative of progress continues and that money keeps coming in.

Hey CIG: what good are version numbers when your code isn't getting any better? The entire industry, and the entirety of the world that isn't the industry, knows that none of you know what you're doing. We're watching you for the same reason we slow down when we pass wreckage on the highway.

Never mind, keep doing what you're doing. I'm sure you'll implement some minor technical optimization and just like that, a game will develop itself and rise from the ashes of your careers.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Does this mean every time they say Derek Smart they are doxxing?

Or Chris Roberts?

:ohdear:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

This might secretly be the best post in the thread.

Those who looked at it and thought "WTF is that??" should read up on the Ecce Homo "restoration". It checks off practically every box:

- Someone without the talent
- Decided on their own that something perfectly fine needed to be saved
- Botched the job dramatically
- At great expense
- Yet somehow becomes a hero to many
- Resulting in a flood of money
- And some defenders simple because the source material is "sacred"

All this has happened before, and will again.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Wait there's are people who defend what this lady did to Ecce Homo?

I thought it was all just a huge joke. (Except the part where a piece of art was ruined)

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/StarCitizenTrac/status/968142535443935233

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Virtual Captain posted:

If someone wants to overlay a blinking "Caution /!\" to the visor of my current avatar, I'm adding "Archive-Priest™" somewhere in there. :five:

I'm not so good at animating gifs. Also I like the glitch effect.

Where did you find the glitching one? As a quick throw together it doesn't look great since there is a lot of black in the animation cells.
I figured you want something to look like it is actually inside the visor so reversed and curved?

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

SoftNum posted:

I thought it was all just a huge joke. (Except the part where a piece of art was ruined)

People defend her because it brought attention and money to getting it properly restored. (If it ever does).

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SoftNum posted:

She got an art exhibit out of it;
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/spain/10241358/Botched-Christ-fresco-restorer-opens-new-art-exhibition-in-Spain.html

Stunning piece of Dunning Kruger in action.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Lladre posted:

People defend her because it brought attention and money to getting it properly restored. (If it ever does).

You can already hear the analogous defences for Chris. "He drew attention to space games proving there was demand! There are more space games now than ever!"

It's almost as if humanity's cognitive defects are rooted in a hive-mind.

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

Nebakenezzer posted:

"You know what, PC games that display on a screen are passe for the world's first AAAA title" [Irate voice in background: "...and the triple-A thing was a reference to loving bonds which are rated like that, quadruple A isn't even a thing poo poo gently caress goddamnit]

"Sandi, if you would - anyway, the digital currency trend puts an upper limit on FIDELITY, and frankly we regret extremely our choice of Cryengine, I mean lumberyard, so I was thinking..." [Irate voice in background: "you skeletal horsefucker, I've had it! Inventing whole new branches of goddamned science so [garbeled] can play at being george shiteater lucas..."]

"Neural Shunts. Hooking your brain via USB into the software experience is The highest fidelity of all: [your acutal senses]- " [Irate voice, now close to the mic: "How Chris. How. Tell me how. Tell me how. {high squeaky voice} Tell mmeeeeeee hoeewwwwwww-"

"Bypasses in the optical nerves, in the ear, and at the base of the brain for motor control. Olfactory control obviously. Taste shunts will be a stretch goal." [Crosstalk Irate voice, agitated - "THAT TELLS ME NOTHING YOU HAPLESS FILTH MAGGOT, OH, AND LET'S NOT FORGET THE SURGERY AND THE DEVICES THAT WILL TAKE-"]

"Would ya - listen, I was talking to the Amazon guy, and he said Amazon had been doing research into neural plasticity. The real problem is that the game engine and the bluetooth neural shunts can only run on OS/2 Warp..."

Irate voice: "SOMEBODY IS HAVING YOU ON YOU MANCUNIAN POTATO-HEADED KRUGER-DUNNING IMBECILE-"

{sounds of a struggle, banging, obscenities.)

"And that's why we need to emulate OS/2 Warp. Yeah hon, you've - don't let him - oh for gently caress - ON THE FACE. KEEP THE RAG THERE. Right, let the ether do its work. But that's good news, because it means we can run Star Citizen on any system once we get the emulator working!

[Woman's voice - inaudible]

"Well listen you failed as an actress and this is what happens when you fail. You get a new career-"

"He'll be fine-"

"- would you let me finish? He'll be fine, we revoke his ID, drive him out to the desert, get Fats Coolio over there to dose the poo poo out of him with LSD. Say we fired him on Wednesday, and we haven't seen him since."

Oh who cares. Something. Pissed in a flowerpot. Now where was I? Right. But that is also a disadvantage, because OS/2 warp never got USB support, or bluetooth support, or wireless support. It only got that IR com thing, that palm pilots used to use. As an intern measure, we should make the neural shunts compatible with that. We're gonna need a new programming team."

[recording ends]

Glorious

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Wait, does SC currently try to update and render everything on the server? :psyduck:

Yes, but they're layering in all of the stuff that makes things work. After some time the jank will simply disappear, as it's just the side-effect of having so much fidelity that it eats all the fups.

starkebn posted:

What does your heart tell you?

I should buy gold, but bitcoin is attractive after the last correction. What should I do, internet?

Scruffpuff posted:

It's more that the cognitive defects are familial, and that wanting a Daddy is indistinguishable from wanting a Daddy-like figure to make the world understandable. it's not the deification of Roberts that is the problem, but the propensity to believe *in someone* despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Hav fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 26, 2018

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Lladre posted:

Where did you find the glitching one? As a quick throw together it doesn't look great since there is a lot of black in the animation cells.
I figured you want something to look like it is actually inside the visor so reversed and curved?

Found in an old avatar thread.
May have come from one of these according to the OP:
http://kidmograph.tumblr.com/
http://glitchblackmusic.tumblr.com

Lladre posted:

Curved and backwards yes. With the text "CAUTION" if possible. ERROR is also fine.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

G0RF posted:

Here’s a little more context:

This was the Relay exchange that prompted the letter — I think they joined the Discord around the time of this Relay, though not for long.

Thinking back I vaguely remember that while I was PM’ing with Jake, he and Dolvak were getting the expected Goon welcome in a general chat. I think they got some Goon razzing given their history but if they’d had thicker skin they’d have been home free. Jake did get the letter though, he acknowledged it. Then while I was typing out a longer PM, they left the server. Whether Goon bonhomie or Gorf effortposting burned the bridge, I do not know. :iiam:

I will say they both were generally tolerant of Goons popping into their twitch streams heckling and joking while they were playing Overwatch back then. Beet and several others had some good exchanges and friendly jeers and they rolled with most of the punches. But they just couldn’t make the final step...

Oh well, maybe one day they’ll brave the volley of welcoming tomatoes, endure the hazing rituals and finally join a community where you can speak the obvious about Star Citizen without fear of banishment.

MOP really is pretty great.

So, what happened was that Jake was actually pretty cool and good, and seemed to be having fun playing the "lol I'm here to shill j/k what's up nerds" aspect of it. They popped in and out a couple times. Unfortunately Dolvak said some things that got kind of dogpiled and some of the goons reacted pretty viciously. Dolvak peaced out, which honestly I can't blame him for - people were being pretty hostile towards him at that point. Once Dolvak left, Jake left also, stating that A) Dolvak was his friend and comrade and B) people shouldn't be assholes to other people in general, and the flak Dolvak was getting was unwarranted and gross.

As usual, a couple idiot goons ruined everything.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

What's up with space court?

Nothing :burger:?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Virtual Captain posted:

Redoing the tracker's about page (https://starcitizentracker.github.io/about/)

I'm soliciting endorsements to appear on that page and in a new presskit section.

Please use the following format so I don't doxx anyone:
Endorsement: A really great site! I use it for All my FUD! Other sites on the internet are utter rancid poo poo!
Attribution: Anonymous

Can I sign mine as the owner/operator of the (nonexistent) game news and review website https://www.beetreviews.com or is that too on the nose lol

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Scruffpuff posted:

You can already hear the analogous defences for Chris. "He drew attention to space games proving there was demand! There are more space games now than ever!"

Sure, but where CIG's money goes directly into 3 people's lavish life styles. The other has gone into helping the local retirement community provide better care for it's wards.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pifQm3IZ1tc

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

big nipples big life posted:

What's up with space court?

Nothing :burger:?

thedereksmart is laying into it bigtime; can't take screenshots at the moment :(

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SoftNum posted:

Does this mean every time they say Derek Smart they are doxxing?

Or Chris Roberts?

:ohdear:

hide the evidence!

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Beet Wagon posted:

Can I sign mine as the owner/operator of the (nonexistent) game news and review website https://www.beetreviews.com or is that too on the nose lol

Not going to include broken links but I won't fight
Attribution: Beet Wagon, CEO BeetReviews.com

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Virtual Captain posted:

Found in an old avatar thread.
May have come from one of these according to the OP:
http://kidmograph.tumblr.com/
http://glitchblackmusic.tumblr.com

Curved and backwards yes. With the text "CAUTION" if possible. ERROR is also fine.

I'll give it a shot later - if only for fun. Been itchin' to gif again.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
"The Star Citizen Tracker helps me craft elaborate lies about Robert Space Industries. Without it, I'd only be able to post vague rumors without any specifics!"
--TheAgent

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

"The Star Citizen Tracker helps me craft elaborate lies about Robert Space Industries. Without it, I'd only be able to post vague rumors without any specifics!"
--TheAgent

Shocking if true. I had you down as a puckish rogue.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Jobbo_Fett posted:

thedereksmart is laying into it bigtime; can't take screenshots at the moment :(

Is that a new DS fan reddit?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

star citizen: 12 years an alpha

The most terrifying of the Chzo Mythos games. Chris Roberts is the new acolyte of Chzo, and feeds his master pain by keeping a group of gullible morons in perpetual suffering. Trilby comes close to stopping the scheme, but decides the suckers deserve it.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I read that as acolyte of chorizo and I am down man

so motherfucking down

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Virtual Captain posted:

Not going to include broken links but I won't fight
Attribution: Beet Wagon, CEO BeetReviews.com

Rad. I do have a serious question though: Are you concerned that goons writing semi-funny reviews will delegitimize the project in the eyes of others? I'd hate for us all to go write our stupid jokes there only for people to be able to more easily dismiss the project as "propaganda" because of it.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

Rad. I do have a serious question though: Are you concerned that goons writing semi-funny reviews will delegitimize the project in the eyes of others? I'd hate for us all to go write our stupid jokes there only for people to be able to more easily dismiss the project as "propaganda" because of it.

Nah, it's fine.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
anything even remotely related to us or derek is immediately dismissed anyway

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Beet Wagon posted:

My example was probably bad. I'm asking for actual endorsements, not jokes :(

Your posts are always very funny so you could probably make it work though.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Scruffpuff posted:

quote:

D_Smart posted:
Yeah.

One is culling of render target entities.

The other is culling of network traffic entities which happen to be within the render target entities also.

To wit:

- don't render anything the client/player can't see or interact with. e.g. > 5km away

- don't send network traffic to any client/player if they can't see or
Well I hope both technologies also design a game from the ground up, because if not, CIG is kinda hosed.interact with entities within that < 5km packet

They won't.

The sad reality is that these two features are so rudimentary and the mainstay of ALL 3D graphics & multiplayer games, that CIG even making them a big deal (serialized variables was the Red flag, right off the bat) is testament to the difficulty (I don't want to say incompetence, as that would be unfair to the devs) they are facing building this game.

To me, the surprising thing is that they have the "ex-Crytek Gods" at F42-GER, and somehow for the 3+ years those guys have been there, they somehow didn't think this was a big deal. Now they're trying to shoehorn it into their Frankengine.

It's ironic that Crytek's latest game, Hunt, which uses the current version of the engine, still has sub-par multiplayer.

The lols will come when backers see that both serialized variables and network traffic culling get implemented (LOL!) and they still have piss-poor network performance. In fact, I have to believe that the engineers KNOW that it won't make much difference, and that's why they keep kicking the can down the road. The day they release a build with that stuff in there, and it's "meh", we're looking at 3.1 lols like we did when 3.0 Jesus Patch landed. And we're still loling at that one.

ps: Oh look, MoMa restored my avatar

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

:perfect:
:five::five::five:

----------------

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

Propagandist posted:

Nah, it's fine.

choice username/post combo :discourse:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

DapperDon posted:

No, Beet did that. Didn't pertain to the rules about Refunds and was just a effort/defense post for Derek Smart by Old School Commander and totally not Derek Smart.

Are you talking about this? Because what you posted above is inaccurate.

Backers need to face the reality now

quote:

A few days ago, Dr. Smart did a lengthy interview with an ex- writer for the German gamestar.de magazine. This is the magazine that has been going after him over Star Citizen since 2015. And they have been having a social media war ever since. It also spilled over into the game's Steam discussion forum where there is currently a lengthy thread.

I believe it started when the magazine decided to preview and trash LOD because he was badmouthing Star Citizen, a game they have stopped covering these past few months it seems. All this started in July 2015, shortly after he wrote the first blog a few weeks earlier that same month, saying that the game couldn't be made.

I was writing an effort post after his statements in the interview, but I later decided that maybe people should pay (I think it is $5) and listen to it for themselves. A Goon posted some highlights of the interview and others have been translating some of the discussions on the podcast's forums. Around page 8, some of the guys from the now closed hate sub for targeted harassment, showed up, posted a bunch of links and were banned.

What prompted me to write this post is that going by some of the responses to the podcast that I have seen, and the comments by some of the German gamers who are for the first time reading the SA posts about Lesnick, Sandi etc, they are expressing shock and dismay that some of that material even exists and that they didn't know anything about it. How is that even possible? Where were these guys all this time?

The latest posts on the official Reddit surrounding the networking and other things, now appear to be taking an even more critical turn toward dissent, which, save for the few dedicated fans, seems to be spreading - even on Spectrum.

Anyway, I listened to the interview, and though I was aware of some of the things he was saying, the most interesting parts came in the second segment (about 1 hr into the interview) where he was talking about why he was engaged in the Star Citizen discussion. Unlike his other interviews which were a bit more flamboyant and incendiary, the way the interviewer created and asked the questions, shed a lot more light into the logic behind his perceived obsession with Star Citizen.

Why would this podcast want to interview someone who they are probably aware has the potential to cause even more dissent and mistrust in the project?

Similarly, a Goon did a transcript of this recent January Guard Frequency (one of the bigger earlier Star Citizen podcasts) broadcast https://guardfrequency.com/200 @ 1:04:29

quote:

Host: Ok, now we get to the good stuff. Gremlich writes in and says,

Hmmm... this is close to yellow card. I'm not gonna throw the yellow card at this because he uses really GOOD WORDS. Those are some good words there but I do wanna say that, ah... I'm... when we first contacted him that whole 1990s flame war thing was foremost in my mind, but... he's OLDER, maybe a little WISER now, and again I've had reasonable adult level conversations with him on multiple occasions, so I DO think he has things to offer, for good or for bad he has MADE A LIVING IN THE GAMES INDUSTRY for 30 years.

Maybe his titles aren't the best and maybe you don't want to play them and I can't say that I've played any of them with the exception of 3000AD, which broke constantly and made me swear at him in the 1990s - like many other people... but again, he's been in the trenches and he's been doing this stuff and he has in my view improved his credibility over the 2 years or so that he's been commenting publically on this issue.

Host: You know I will say that I think Mister DS has calmed down a little bit I think from his early hay-day of Star Citizen hatred, most of his stuff is mostly about... if you follow him on Twitter now, it's mostly about the case coverage and stuff like that. And while I certainly don't share some of his opinion on the technical side, I'm not a game developer myself but I do have a technical background that overlaps with this field... you know, I understand where he's coming from, and while I don't agree with him I understand why he's doing it to some degree and I don't think this is as malicious as some people think.

But then again, at the same time, you know... for whatever reason he seems to be literate in interviews and incendiary in his online presence. I guess that's the best way to put it.

So, like... I don't agree with him in any way, shape or form on MANY of his views, but I don't think he is a... I don't think he's an idiot.

Host: And if Guard Frequency and Derek Smart can have a conversation about stuff, the rest of the world should be able to have a conversation that we disagree on.

Could it be that these avid supporters, even those who were attacking Dr Smart at every turn, have finally come to the realization that, despite people's misgivings about him, knew what he was talking about in 2015 - and that the general consensus now is that there is no way this can be ignored any longer?

I have been catching up on the latest arguments with the development, the current one being the networking issues which again Dr Smart had claimed they hadn't done, probably can't do, and why. This is what he wrote on Feb 24th, which is a recap.

He posted this scoop last night on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/967575127587262464

quote:

Star Citizen 3.1 was due out end of March. I am hearing that it's way behind schedule.

Also, they can't get network traffic culling working - at all. So don't expect it anytime soon - if ever.

They also sent out Evocati notice that they may increase it to 2000 invites.

Earlier today, I saw this posted online that a dev had come out shortly after and confirmed yet another of his statements (about the networking).

So, is it now safe to say - irrefutably - that as he claimed years ago, having built these types of massive games, that what CIG were attempting to do - after increasing the game's scope - could not be done? After 6 years of dev and $180 million, with all the things they have either removed or not done, can this be disputed any longer? What sort of game are backers now expecting at the end of this tunnel?

From the thread, this is what Beet said about it's removal:

quote:

This doesn't appear to have much of anything to do with refunds, and seems more directed towards vindicating Derek Smart and/or baiting idiots into getting mad about Derek Smart, neither of which are a focus of this subreddit.

I'm removing this. If you really feel there's some conversation to be gained here, consider reposting it in the weekly chat thread.

I don't agree with the "doesn't appear to have much of anything to do with refunds" when in fact you currently have an entire page of topics which have nothing to do with refunds. But whatever - it's not my fight.

----------------

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

I was writing an effort post about the stupidity of having sea bound shipping traveling at 18-23 knots taking weeks to cross the ocean compared to the Hull E taking a few minutes and how economically it makes no sense at all, but realized its just the fevered dreams of fools and just got my rub on.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Beet Wagon posted:

So, what happened was that Jake was actually pretty cool and good, and seemed to be having fun playing the "lol I'm here to shill j/k what's up nerds" aspect of it. They popped in and out a couple times. Unfortunately Dolvak said some things that got kind of dogpiled and some of the goons reacted pretty viciously. Dolvak peaced out, which honestly I can't blame him for - people were being pretty hostile towards him at that point. Once Dolvak left, Jake left also, stating that A) Dolvak was his friend and comrade and B) people shouldn't be assholes to other people in general, and the flak Dolvak was getting was unwarranted and gross.

As usual, a couple idiot goons ruined everything.

I was personally attacked by Dolvak out of the left field.

He was being a total shitlord.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Is OldSchoolCommando literally the only person that uses "Dr. Smart" unironicly?

I probably should have put quotes around OSC and person as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

rawr im a tree posted:

you are the dumbest motherfucker i've seen on these forums. this includes the fingat guy. you are not allowed to call any one moron, you loving dumb poo poo.

Nice meltdown. But really, I'm just everyone's friend here and this is all in good fun.