Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Argas posted:

What the gently caress even was Osiris' curse?

Being in Destiny 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Skoll posted:

Abandon Ship just came out and it's like a radder version of FTL in the Age of Sail with Lovecraftian mythology. Into the Breach comes out in 3 days and it's a tactical turn based mech game made by the FTL devs that will give me my mech fix until Battletech drops in April supposedly.

Other than that, PUBG with bros and Killing Floor 2 occasionally.

Both of those actually sound awesome and I'll have to check them out? Do you unlock more, and radder, ships in Abandon Ship? I loved playing FTL in ways I hated just so I could see the next space boat I got.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Nuebot posted:

Both of those actually sound awesome and I'll have to check them out? Do you unlock more, and radder, ships in Abandon Ship? I loved playing FTL in ways I hated just so I could see the next space boat I got.

You can buy more ships but right now the difficulty scaling with it is kind of broken but they said they're going to address it. I pretty much completely kitted out the starter ship and my set up right now murders whatever the game throws at me so far, but I know as soon as I upgrade to the Galleon or bigger, poo poo is gonna get wild.

They also are planning on actively adding more ships to the game. I'd say it's a pretty smooth EA launch and they're using it to gather feedback on how to further shape it.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Nuebot posted:

I've been playing all 3 Dark Souls and now that I'm almost done with Dark Souls 3 I'm probably going to play Stellaris soon, because it was on sale and looks really fun.

ITT: What are you playing instead of Destiny 2?

rainbow six has really good pvp and, unlike destiny, the ttk is near instant which means you can actually solo carry matches when it matters. really, really fun game, but it's got a steep like 40-50 hour learning curve as you play new maps and operators.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

nickhimself posted:

It's not that I can't find groups through outside resources. Discord has worked pretty well for piecing together a nightfall group or finding a raid. It's the fact that I can't do that easily inside of the game, and that I have to rely on third party tools in 2018 in order to find a group in an ONLY online multiplayer game

I understand, but they're always going to choose to eschew features than implement anything on the PC version that would be complex/impossible to do in the console multiplayer environment. Destiny on PC is always going to be closer to Phantasy Star Online running in a GameCube emulator than a game built from the ground up to the strengths of the PC.

Call it a self-fulfilling prophecy of underselling the desires of the PC market, but that the PS4 version has such a booming community relative to PC is only going to reinforce the mindset going forward.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Minrad posted:

, but it's got a steep like 40-50 hour learning curve as you play new maps and operators.

100+ if you’re a trashbaby like me

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Legs Benedict posted:

100+ if you’re a trashbaby like me

tbh I still learn new poo poo in it every day and I'm up to 250 hours. I just learned you can put a mute jammer on the basement table to block the basement hatch. part of why the game's so drat fun, if you aren't getting better at those twitch kills you're at least learning something new about the map every round.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

Nuebot posted:

I have been cracked out on Fortnite Battle Royale. I wasn't feeling the BR genre at all, but building giant fortresses is exactly what it needed.

AgentCow007 fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Feb 25, 2018

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Nuebot posted:

I've been playing all 3 Dark Souls and now that I'm almost done with Dark Souls 3 I'm probably going to play Stellaris soon, because it was on sale and looks really fun.

I just noticed that I am playing games that have a single gimmick taken from destiny but delivering that single gimmick better. :cripes:

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Nuebot posted:

I’m picking up 3D modelling in blender because someone’s work annoyed me and it seems like a skill worth grokking

Best of luck with the Derk Solz

DXH
Dec 8, 2003

Ne Cede Malis
I've gone back to World of Warcraft after a hiatus of over two years, just in time to finish out everything in Legion and maybe level up a new allied race toon before the new expansion lands sometime in the summer.

This is probably the best end-of-expac experience I've ever had in WoW, plenty of poo poo to do. I can't imagine how horribly grueling it was to grind out all the legendaries before this last patch's catch up mechanics though.

I guess the raiding bug bit me after doing the raid and raid lair in Destiny 2; LFR in WoW is still as terrible as it ever was but still weirdly enjoyable. Mythic dungeons sound fun too because they work like Diablo 3 greater rifts I suppose?

I'll come back to this game when DLC2 launches but yeah, Bungie has to do some serious soul searching (or more of it) if they think that 50 vault space and Nightfall scoring will save this game, especially on PC. The first Bungie game in years for a platform I actually give a gently caress about and so far it's been fun until you do everything. I guess D1 Year 1 was also like this, and it'll probably get better, but I'll only come back to finish out my Iron Banner unlocks for this season until Gods of Mars ships. And I say this as a Bungie fan for twenty years or so, which is telling.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I've been googling the word "grok" because it's a dumb term and I hate it.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

I've been googling the word "grok" because it's a dumb term and I hate it.

Read more Judge Dredd comics.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
the DARCI has dropped 3 times for me :(

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Skoll posted:

Read more Judge Dredd comics.

heinlein you philistine

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

DXH posted:

And I say this as a Bungie fan for twenty years or so, which is telling.

All those guys are gone. Replaced with dudes like Luke Smith, who was a games writer/podcaster/Halo Fanboy for 1UP.com back when Bungie was the guys you liked.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Craptacular! posted:

All those guys are gone. Replaced with dudes like Luke Smith, who was a games writer/podcaster/Halo Fanboy for 1UP.com back when Bungie was the guys you liked.

“All” is a great exaggeration since a lot of the folks who are design leads on the Destiny games were also heavily involved with all of the Halo games

The changeover has mostly come at the management/executive level and also due to the massive increase in staffing at the studio

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I got Ophidians from my first Hotdog Clan emblem! To balance things out, Cayde's maps gave me tokens. :negative:

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Craptacular! posted:

smith also designed vault of glass and wrath of the machine, and headed up the taken king expansion. he's not the problem, specific team leads like bakken and weisnewski are.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Minrad posted:

tbh I still learn new poo poo in it every day and I'm up to 250 hours. I just learned you can put a mute jammer on the basement table to block the basement hatch. part of why the game's so drat fun, if you aren't getting better at those twitch kills you're at least learning something new about the map every round.
How healthy is the Siege playerbase? I'm kind of hungering for a low TTK shooter, but don't think I have the energy for CS:GO.

e: Based on steamcharts it's pretty consistently growing. Is there a compelling reason to go above the advanced edition?

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 26, 2018

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Elysiume posted:

How healthy is the Siege playerbase? I'm kind of hungering for a low TTK shooter, but don't think I have the energy for CS:GO.

e: Based on steamcharts it's pretty consistently growing. Is there a compelling reason to go above the advanced edition?

Everyone I know that was gud at D1 pvp is playing seige or fartnite

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
R6-Siege is probably Ubisoft’s most successful non-sports game ever and it’s because the Dev team is constantly busting their rear end to make it good. My brother loves this game and I have to admit that while I don’t play it, it really holds Bungie’s feet to the fire because the volume of content they are producing is frankly nuts.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Bust Rodd posted:

R6-Siege is probably Ubisoft’s most successful non-sports game ever and it’s because the Dev team is constantly busting their rear end to make it good. My brother loves this game and I have to admit that while I don’t play it, it really holds Bungie’s feet to the fire because the volume of content they are producing is frankly nuts.

You could say the same of WoW or The Division or Warframe or Eve Online or loving Puzzles and Dragons or literally every successful "game as a service" ever made. Bungie just doesn't seem to be interested in doing what it takes to keep a game like this running.

Destiny 2 is like what Final Fantasy 14 was before they decided to toss it and start over: a boring, badly organized boondoggle coasting on studio legacy without even the toolset to dig itself out of the hole it made. I don't think Bungie has the talent pool or sense of obligation to its community to do what Square did though.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

man i love Siege and have been playing it to the detriment of basically everything else but they produce some maps and operators every year, they are not producing a “volume” of content unless you consider Siege’s massive catalog of microtransaction cosmetics

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Got this today: https://light.gg/db/items/1099433612/the-doubt/

Might well be my new favorite AR.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

So I'm finally starting to get bored with this game, and I finally understand why people are so pissed about it, because the base shooter core is one of the best times I've had with an FPS in years. But what did they flub that they got right in Destiny 1, exactly? I've never played it, but I'm having a hard time imagining what could be done with D2 to give it some legs once I've played all the strikes and puttered around the zone maps a few times.

Although this week I've put more hours in this week than I wanted because they JUST WONT DROP THE PLEAIDES CORRECTOR

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Pseudophile posted:

Got this today: https://light.gg/db/items/1099433612/the-doubt/

Might well be my new favorite AR.

Snapshot and HCR seem like a good pairing; do you find its range competitive?

Phenotype posted:

So I'm finally starting to get bored with this game, and I finally understand why people are so pissed about it, because the base shooter core is one of the best times I've had with an FPS in years. But what did they flub that they got right in Destiny 1, exactly? I've never played it, but I'm having a hard time imagining what could be done with D2 to give it some legs once I've played all the strikes and puttered around the zone maps a few times.

Although this week I've put more hours in this week than I wanted because they JUST WONT DROP THE PLEAIDES CORRECTOR

Destiny 2 at release felt like an appetizer. There was like maybe a quarter of the amount of activities/content anyone coming from D1 had grown accustomed to, so it was easy to get bored quick.

Pleiades Corrector owns and is fun

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Feb 26, 2018

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Waffle House posted:

Destiny 2 at release felt like an appetizer. There was like maybe a quarter of the amount of activities/content anyone coming from D1 had grown accustomed to, so it was easy to get bored quick.

Pleiades Corrector owns and is fun

Yes, but like, what else does D1 have to do? I'm not sure what you can do with the semi-MMO setup besides what I see in D2.

And shut up about the Pleiades Corrector. :( I'd be grinding another FWC engram right now but I keep having connection issues, seem to load in fine but no NPCs show up.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Phenotype posted:

Yes, but like, what else does D1 have to do? I'm not sure what you can do with the semi-MMO setup besides what I see in D2.

And shut up about the Pleiades Corrector. :( I'd be grinding another FWC engram right now but I keep having connection issues, seem to load in fine but no NPCs show up.

Off the top of my head, D1 had a mix of more stuff to do and systems that were conducive towards grinding.

The random perk system for guns gave people something to constantly aim for, even if they settled for the curated vendor rolls which were generally solid. Personally I didn't care much for it but D2's static perk system has created a plethora of substandard if not outright lacking guns that exist to bloat the loot pool.

D2's token/lootbox system is probably the biggest part of it to me because even if you just had fun, the gameplay-reward loop is incredibly tedious. It's honestly hard for me to pin down the exact reasons D1's system worked over D2, because a lot of engrams just turned into mediocre stuff to scrap.

Primary/secondary/heavies made for a far more enjoyable loadout than Kinetic/Energy/Power. Abilities also recharge faster so you could use them more often. It seems minor but just making the basic gunplay and gameplay more enjoyable goes a long way towards making tedium less tedious.

Lack of activities like the Court of Oryx and the various keys around the Dreadnought (I know RoI had its own Court-equivalent, not sure about keys). The Court was basically an area in the Dreadnought patrol area where you used runes, which were rewards from activities, to start a mini-boss event. They varied and some required a level of coordination between randoms, to an outright streamlined version of the boss of the second raid, Crota's End. There were three different runes so you knew what range of encounters it could pop when you used it. The Court was mostly standalone but there were a few questlines that required participation or specific bosses. The keys were similarly rewarded from activities, and when you brought them to the right location, they'd basically lead you on a miniature mission around the patrol area, usually ending in a mini-boss encounter. They're both essentially public events of sorts but they're triggered by players.

All sorts of questlines to get cool poo poo. The Sleeper Simulant had a fairly basic puzzle in that you had to input a combination. Everyone just used the internet but for those pioneers delving into new content for the first time or people who want to go in blind, there are notable clues to the solution. The Taken King had an incredibly long, involved, and really grindy questline for an exotic that was both significant to the post-campaign story and was also really useful in parts of TTK raid. By the end of it you were basically intimate with every nook and cranny of the Dreadnought because you had to collect shards that were tucked away there or only accessible via tricky/invisible platforms, etc. There's also just tons of hidden areas that weren't really used for patrol activities and it felt fun to explore content that isn't nearly as open or friendly as the standard content.

Another thing are the modifiers they had for heroic and nightfalls. While some of them were restrictive, they did a lot more to mix up the experience of difficult content beyond inflating HP and damage values.

The amount of content is something they basically hosed themselves with but is also just a thing that happens if the content doesn't get carried over. But they also hosed with a ton of systems and made the game less satisfying. Sure, it still shoots and handles superbly but I couldn't play D2 for long periods of time because the gameplay-reward loop is incredibly unsatisfying and retroactively tainted the gunplay.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
If you don't like PvP, the content pool is gonna be shallow and easily completable no matter what :tipshat:

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

Waffle House posted:

Snapshot and HCR seem like a good pairing; do you find its range competitive?

The range is good, the recoil is a lot more controllable than one would think. One of the guys I play with is calling it a Scathelock reskinned as Origin Story.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Argas posted:

Off the top of my head, D1 had a mix of more stuff to do and systems that were conducive towards grinding.

The random perk system for guns gave people something to constantly aim for, even if they settled for the curated vendor rolls which were generally solid. Personally I didn't care much for it but D2's static perk system has created a plethora of substandard if not outright lacking guns that exist to bloat the loot pool.

D2's token/lootbox system is probably the biggest part of it to me because even if you just had fun, the gameplay-reward loop is incredibly tedious. It's honestly hard for me to pin down the exact reasons D1's system worked over D2, because a lot of engrams just turned into mediocre stuff to scrap.

Primary/secondary/heavies made for a far more enjoyable loadout than Kinetic/Energy/Power. Abilities also recharge faster so you could use them more often. It seems minor but just making the basic gunplay and gameplay more enjoyable goes a long way towards making tedium less tedious.

Lack of activities like the Court of Oryx and the various keys around the Dreadnought (I know RoI had its own Court-equivalent, not sure about keys). The Court was basically an area in the Dreadnought patrol area where you used runes, which were rewards from activities, to start a mini-boss event. They varied and some required a level of coordination between randoms, to an outright streamlined version of the boss of the second raid, Crota's End. There were three different runes so you knew what range of encounters it could pop when you used it. The Court was mostly standalone but there were a few questlines that required participation or specific bosses. The keys were similarly rewarded from activities, and when you brought them to the right location, they'd basically lead you on a miniature mission around the patrol area, usually ending in a mini-boss encounter. They're both essentially public events of sorts but they're triggered by players.

All sorts of questlines to get cool poo poo. The Sleeper Simulant had a fairly basic puzzle in that you had to input a combination. Everyone just used the internet but for those pioneers delving into new content for the first time or people who want to go in blind, there are notable clues to the solution. The Taken King had an incredibly long, involved, and really grindy questline for an exotic that was both significant to the post-campaign story and was also really useful in parts of TTK raid. By the end of it you were basically intimate with every nook and cranny of the Dreadnought because you had to collect shards that were tucked away there or only accessible via tricky/invisible platforms, etc. There's also just tons of hidden areas that weren't really used for patrol activities and it felt fun to explore content that isn't nearly as open or friendly as the standard content.

Another thing are the modifiers they had for heroic and nightfalls. While some of them were restrictive, they did a lot more to mix up the experience of difficult content beyond inflating HP and damage values.

The amount of content is something they basically hosed themselves with but is also just a thing that happens if the content doesn't get carried over. But they also hosed with a ton of systems and made the game less satisfying. Sure, it still shoots and handles superbly but I couldn't play D2 for long periods of time because the gameplay-reward loop is incredibly unsatisfying and retroactively tainted the gunplay.

I agree with most of this, but the Touch of Malice quest was extremely tedious and not fun at all. Some of the shards required Court of Oryx bosses. If they weren’t around that week, you were SOL.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Mill Village posted:

I agree with most of this, but the Touch of Malice quest was extremely tedious and not fun at all. Some of the shards required Court of Oryx bosses. If they weren’t around that week, you were SOL.

So tedious that you couldn't just decide to pick the quest up randomly and complete it immediately. They should have done a cool and good thing instead like require a bunch of scout rifle kills while jumping, or something.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

cvnvcnv posted:

So tedious that you couldn't just decide to pick the quest up randomly and complete it immediately. They should have done a cool and good thing instead like require a bunch of scout rifle kills while jumping, or something.

That quest counted kills you got while standing on a rock, so I completed it in a single public event and spent the whole time being like "does anyone actually work at Bungie? Why would you code it this way?"

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

That quest counted kills you got while standing on a rock, so I completed it in a single public event and spent the whole time being like "does anyone actually work at Bungie? Why would you code it this way?"

Haha is that why I completed that step so quickly on my hunter (3rd character I leveled) while thinking "what, I didn't even jump THAT much"? Oh wow.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Mill Village posted:

It's one of those things that are basically going to really really suck, but can still have fun parts. Big long quests are always going to drag, especially if there's a component you can't do whenever you want.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

cvnvcnv posted:

I never said that. The quest had enough to do as it is.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Mill Village posted:

I never said that. The quest had enough to do as it is.

Sleeper you had to hunt down specific PEs of a type on each planet after being only able to be initiated in a small window of time every month iirc, swords had the notorious resource grind, First Curse had strict performance conditions to advance, NTTE had raid completion necessity and was gated at a point iirc by the mission to start it being a weekly thing, the WoTM gun had that inane puzzle sequence and fireteam conditions, ...

I'm merely alleging that out of that sea of Exotic quests, the bullshit was actually very chill with ToM.

cvnvcnv fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 26, 2018

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Phenotype posted:

I think people love to pick holes in things, first of all, and the Destiny fanbase has never been shy of that or salt.

I don't think the game world shrinking (In square game area terms I'm not sure it even did shrink?!) was a huge an issue as, "game just feels empty, especially w/r/t UI elements."

Tower vendor disparities aside, let's look at the Crucible, an important Destiny element. We used to have this:

There's mostly Competitive and Casual now, with optional weekly rotating or seasonal content. Much less of a buffet, visually; future expansion seems implied, but this initial DISillusion of choice killed positive sentiment for the game quickly in Destiny's skilled but vocal players whomst'd heavily invested their time in Destiny towards PVP activities.

I CAN get lost on Planets wreaking havoc for hours, but that's not all Destiny has to offer by a long shot. Crucible is an easy, fast, and natural thing to do when chillin w/ ur bros. Shrinkage ( :q: ) in the area of ' ability to play with your friends' at a high level will not go well for playerbase cohesion.

Pseudophile posted:

The range is good, the recoil is a lot more controllable than one would think. One of the guys I play with is calling it a Scathelock reskinned as Origin Story.

NICE. I haven't signed in at all this week; I feel terrible, but other things kinda took priority. I may not even have time to get that sweet DO Auto I want to try out... :rip:

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Personally, the big things are:

1. Inability to select specific game type in Crucible

2. Loss of the "mass chaos" aspect of Crucible (oddly, Doubles seemed to capture some of that)

3. Loss of 6v6 (see above, loss of "mass chaos") which from a purely team MATH AND NUMBERS point of view makes no sense because everything else is in multiples of 3. Want to do crucru after a raid? TWO PEOPLE GOTTA DROP!

4. Guardians have significantly reduced mobility and abilities (in a game about magical space barbies with superpowers)

5. An odd void of very basic PvE activities that encourage team play (Prison of Elders, Archon's Forge, Court of Oryx, the list goes on)

6. Weird "oops we totally forgot about " rotating modifiers that actually make you pull out equipment you didn't use before (solar burn, Specialist, etc)

7. Complete lack of boss fights that required some pretty drat fancy pinpoint teamwork (ie. Skolas super duper hard mode, pass the taint, oh god PS3 has no heavy synths)

8. Omission of random weapon perks, sure... that led to things like Felwinter's Sniper but it was funny at the time. The "accidental" Prometheus Lens PvP week was a taste of that level of "HOLY poo poo PISS"

9. No way to practice with certain weapons in crucru or otherwise do private matches. Okay so "I THINK this heavy weapon might be good but how might I figure that out without crippling my team should my theory be wrong?" etc.

10. Loss of the sense of a larger "world" out there to explore.

These were all addressed in Destiny 1 and the community is rightfully angry about such things. I can live with Eververse or whatever else people are complaining about.

• Locked thread