Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Re: good horror on Netflix. A Dark Song is fantastic and deserves way more attention than it's gotten. For real you guys should watch it pronto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

...what? There's a character who's a gay prostitute (which is shown as seemingly legal and basically accepted) and another character who's at least implied to be a trans woman. Those aren't really lurid and provocative future things, and that's about the craziest the sex got as far as I noticed (aside from, y'know, the elephant in the living room).

Yeah, the transsexual whore scene (the one where the mute was tazered) was kind of silly, the dialog and the mute's reactions were over-the-top for something that's really not that unusual today, let alone in the future. The geishafied robofucking pimp was really silly, too. Those scenes just felt like they were supposed to be really edgy and failed. The gay prostitute was just a character, I don't think he was meant to be edgy like the aforementioned characters.

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Feb 25, 2018

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Filthy Hans posted:

Yeah, the transsexual whore scene (the one where the mute was tazered) was kind of silly, the dialog and the mute's reactions were over-the-top for something that's really not that unusual today, let alone in the future. The geishafied robofucking pimp was really silly, too. Those scenes just felt like they were supposed to be really edgy and failed. The gay prostitute was just a character, I don't think he was meant to be edgy like the aforementioned characters.

What? Wasn't the scene where Leo gets tasered the same character as the "gay prostitute"? They were both Naadira's roommate/friend/wannabe lover Luba. The reason he's reacting like that is because Luba is prostituting himself with the name Naadira complete with realistic looking breasts. Did I read that entire scene incorrectly?

Superrodan fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Feb 25, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

For those of you waiting for Annihilation to come out on Netflix, I strongly urge you to hit the theaters instead. Definitely something worth watching on the big screen. gently caress, I loved that movie.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Superrodan posted:

What? Wasn't the scene where Leo gets tasered the same character as the "gay prostitute"? They were both Naadira's roommate/friend/wannabe lover Luba. The reason he's reacting like that is because Luba is prostituting himself with the name Naadira complete with realistic looking breasts. Did I read that entire scene incorrectly?

Oh poo poo, I didn't realize they were the same character The movie makes more sense now, thanks.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

For those of you waiting for Annihilation to come out on Netflix, I strongly urge you to hit the theaters instead. Definitely something worth watching on the big screen. gently caress, I loved that movie.

nice. I was planning to see it this week.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

Mover posted:

The Eyes of My Mother and Raw are mandatory watching.

I'll check it out - I've watched the others mentioned. I'll follow-up in the horror thread.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

old.flv posted:

I'll check it out - I've watched the others mentioned. I'll follow-up in the horror thread.

They’re both fairly recent but Eyes of My Mother is probably already in my favorites list and Raw is just a ton of fun.

Raw is a very French erotic coming of age story that’s also a horror movie about cannibalism and its stylish as hell with great energy.

Eyes is one of the most gorgeously shot horrors you’ll ever see and it is not at all afraid of being disturbing and leaving you in a very dark place (surprisingly little gore though!), main character plays a fantastic monster as well.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

New episodes of The Tick are an improvement. I also think it benefited from being released as two half seasons.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Currently struggling through Mute and goddamn is it terrible. I thought it would at least be weird after reading the thread but it's the most pedestrian scifi I've seen in ages. Next to Blade Runner 2049 this movie has absolutely no reason to exist. I can't believe I'm saying that about a movie with Paul Rudd in it.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
edit: wrong thread

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 26, 2018

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Unmature posted:

Currently struggling through Mute and goddamn is it terrible. I thought it would at least be weird after reading the thread but it's the most pedestrian scifi I've seen in ages. Next to Blade Runner 2049 this movie has absolutely no reason to exist. I can't believe I'm saying that about a movie with Paul Rudd in it.

IMDb.com posted:

It was originally conceived as a contemporary British gangster movie, then it was changed to be set in Tokyo with Ken Watanabe as Leo. It was after the success of Moon (2009) that motivated Duncan Jones to rewrite it and have it set in the future.

If that's true, it explains why the movie has almost no sci-fi elements at all besides the atmosphere.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

LifeLynx posted:

If that's true, it explains why the movie has almost no sci-fi elements at all besides the atmosphere.

It literally feels like most of the scenes have "add robots" penciled into the margins of the script.

Half the sets could be in When Harry Met Sally

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I just saw Mute and yeeeesh. You'd think we're in a cyberpunk renaissance with all these riffs on Blade Runner, but they're all terrible.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

What are the go-to good series on amazon/syfy/Netflix/Hulu right now? I think I might watch man in the high castle. Killjoys, can’t get into. Magicians season 3 seems ok so far and better than the last season. Humans on Amazon is a bit boring? Beyond Lucifer you guys might know of a new good show on Hulu? There’s so much on Netflix that is new every day I am asking because I’m afraid I’m missing out on something there too.

Most of the shows on syfy beyond the magicians just seem like such masterful poo poo.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
godless on netflix is drat good

"you got a pappy?!"

datajugend fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 26, 2018

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Unmature posted:

I liked “Mute.” Alexander Skarsgård did a great job acting with no dialogue.

There was no world building. We are dropped into futuristic Berlin where American troops are fugitives.

All of this is peripheral because it’s not important to the main story: finding Naadiah.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

And I 100% recommend “The Tick” if anyone hasn’t watched it yet.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

datajugend posted:

godless on netflix is drat good

"you got a pappy?!"

Seconding Godless, it's nothing mind blowing but it's a good western.

If you haven't seen Legion yet definitely give that a shot it was on Hulu.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I am not sure if I forgot or just never read about it, but Netflix's adaption of The Haunting of Hill House is coming out this year. It looks to be a 10 part series (safe to assume a mini-series, but hell I thought The Handmaid's Tale was a mini-series), and it is written and directed by Mike Flanagan (I liked both Oculus and Hush). Also the cast looks decent with Annabeth Gish, Carla Gugino, Timothy Hutton, and Michiel Huisman (he will always be that guy from Treme who was a douche but turned out alright in the end to me).

The novel is one of my favorites (in my top 10), and Robert Wise's 1963 movie adaption is one of the best scary/horror movies of all-time. I just hope they have learn from lovely late 90's remake. The key to making this good is you don't fully explain or show what is behind the door. You just let enough peep through to stir the imagination.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Blind Rasputin posted:

What are the go-to good series on amazon/syfy/Netflix/Hulu right now? I think I might watch man in the high castle. Killjoys, can’t get into. Magicians season 3 seems ok so far and better than the last season. Humans on Amazon is a bit boring? Beyond Lucifer you guys might know of a new good show on Hulu? There’s so much on Netflix that is new every day I am asking because I’m afraid I’m missing out on something there too.

Most of the shows on syfy beyond the magicians just seem like such masterful poo poo.

Future Man on Hulu is pretty good.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Future Man on Hulu is pretty good.

Just be up a little on mid 80's stuff. Never knew I could laugh so hard at a volley ball scene remake.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Maybe because Greta Gerwig didn’t co-write, since she was busy doing Ladybird.

I bet it was this. Baumbach is great as a co-writer, but without someone else who can stem his snotty rich kid miserablist tendencies he can be a bit too much of all the worst things about auteurs for me to handle.
---
Also I generally rate "bad" Netflix a few grades higher because of the delivery mechanism. I'm not spending crazy dosh to go see a movie whose concept intrigues me, but I'm fairly sure will be mediocre, like Bright was- right when it gets released, so I can actually enjoy it way more. Netflix is like a fast food chain that occasionally puts Osso Buco in my Happy Meal; people would maybe be a lot happier with its offerings if they thought about it like that, and not as if it portends the grim middlebrow future of entertainment.

If I thought McDonald's was the future of dining I'd probably be a lot more hateful and garment ripping about it too, but it's not, so whateva.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
In all fairness I really liked The Squid and the Whale which he wrote on his own. Greenberg was ok, but Jennifer Jason Leigh is listed as a co-writer. That said everything else I liked/loved are all Greta movies.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Oh Futureman was so good. The Avatar episode just loving slayed me. “I see you.”

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Where's the Moon bit in Mute exactly? Completely missed it on this viewing tho I'm not done yet.

Saw The Ritual, thought it was fine...some of the tonal shifts and stuff were so sudden that there were multiple points in the movie where I was like "Is...this his dream?" and that sorta worked and sorta didn't work...like I'm not sure how much of it was intentional. I almost preferred it when it was just kind of a low key British Blair Witch. But I appreciated the goofy and weird directions it went into, like The Witch there were a lot of potential directions they could've gone with what's real and what isn't and so forth and I'm not sure they were all the best, but it was fun. The Witch > The Blair Witch Project /The Ritual IMO when it comes to SPOOKY WOODS MOVIES maybe just cuz I love the performances and period piece aspect of The Witch so much. It's so dour and protestant.
The Cloverfield Paradox I was watching with my homies drunk on tet festival and I honestly just left early to go to another party. In my head I was like "If this isn't terrible I'll try to stick around" but...man...The writing, clumsy exposition, unnecessary scenes back on original earth. I like that they inexplicably had the Republic of Ireland represented just to have a goofy quipping Irishman. A lot of my Vietnamese friends were just hype over the Asian representation in the film and Rising China narrative, pointing out that the Chinese lady spoke Mandarin to everybody and they all understood and either responded in kind or in English, she never has to go off into English herself.
Daniel Bruhl is being done a disservice by hollywood and netflix though. He was wonderful in Good Bye Lenin, The Edukators, Inglourious Basterds, but cmon with these B-movies and Marvel bullshit. my man deserves better!!!

meanwhile, if Neo Yokio doesn't get another season Im going to unironically support weeabo genocide. It was fine. It was funny. It was a silly animated thing. There are so many more stupid, perverse, disgusting, more poorly written and acted cartoons and animes these people watch...yet you get one with some black people in it and suddenly it's some simpsons comic book guy poo poo. THE DEATH OF ANIME!!!!! Every year there are anime series written by braindead people, for braindead people, often just for the proliferation of sick anime fetishes & kinks...and yet Jaden Smith is an issue for some reason.
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...e-a8206106.html

I tried watching Wormwood but I got bored after the first episode because the combination of me already being too familiar with the subject matter and the slow pace kinda put me to sleep. I'll dip back in.

p.s. anyone watch The Bad Batch? Completely terrible? Overlooked and underrated? Been meaning to give that a chance.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 26, 2018

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Where's the Moon bit in Mute exactly? Completely missed it on this viewing tho I'm not done yet.

News broadcast in the cafe.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Punkin Spunkin posted:

p.s. anyone watch The Bad Batch? Completely terrible? Overlooked and underrated? Been meaning to give that a chance.

I liked it a lot, but it seems very much like a movie you will either like a lot or hate. And I totally understand why people would hate it. It's a lot of style over substance, but I sure loved the style.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Definitely overlooked and underrated. I'm seeing a lot of backlash against it and I just don't get it.

Now, it's definitely an art film in the sense that the pace is a bit slow and there isn't a ton of actual plot, but if that's not a turn-off for you then check it out. The visuals are outstanding, and it has a decent amount of world-building as you find out more and more about how things work. Solid cast too, Momoa was the surprise for me, he's really good in it.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
ah I see the Sam Bell stuff wasn't really missable, I just hadn't gotten that far in the movie. Kept rewinding that outdoor eating scene at the beginning thinking it was there and it was actually right after where I was in the movie. Love seeing Multiple Rockwells. We definitely need a movie with as many Sam Rockwells in as many different costumes as possible. Throw "Somebody's Watching Me" in there somewhere.

I'm definitely gonna give The Bad Batch a shot as someone rooting for and interested in Ana Lily Amirpour's career. Glad a lot of the hate was misguided. Wonder if the same'll be true for Mute.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Punkin Spunkin posted:

meanwhile, if Neo Yokio doesn't get another season Im going to unironically support weeabo genocide. It was fine. It was funny. It was a silly animated thing. There are so many more stupid, perverse, disgusting, more poorly written and acted cartoons and animes these people watch...yet you get one with some black people in it and suddenly it's some simpsons comic book guy poo poo. THE DEATH OF ANIME!!!!! Every year there are anime series written by braindead people, for braindead people, often just for the proliferation of sick anime fetishes & kinks...and yet Jaden Smith is an issue for some reason.
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...e-a8206106.html

you... do realize anime has black people in it decently often, and while it's sometimes hilariously awful there's quite a few really well-regarded series (ie not fetish bait) with major, well-handled black characters, right?

like, Black Lagoon is basically a 29-episode-long 80s action movie, and one of the main characters is a big black dude named Dutch. Dutch loving owns and is in no way a stereotype except that he's bald and large. people loving love Afro Samurai, which is literally about a Samuel L. Jackson-voiced joint-smoking black samurai going around loving people up (Ninja Ninja is... not great, but there's nuances to him). Basquash, a pretty well-regarded sports/robot series with like nothing objectionable whatsoever, has a character who's basically Shuri from Black Panther who the creator has outright explicitly said is supposed to be African-American. one of the title characters of Michiko & Hatchin (along similar lines to Black Lagoon) is Afro-Latina.

the problem is not black people, and honestly the problem isn't even Jaden Smith. the problem is the series around those things. it feels like a mocking cargo-cult imitation of anime cliches rather than a serious attempt at making something inspired by it. and even with that in mind, Neo Yokio doesn't catch a goddamn tenth as much poo poo as the anime you're angry at- seriously, go pop in ADTRW and look at the "worst of the year" threads and notice what most of the picks look like, anime fans hate that fetish-bait poo poo exactly as much as you do on the whole.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

you... do realize anime has black people in it decently often, and while it's sometimes hilariously awful there's quite a few really well-regarded series (ie not fetish bait) with major, well-handled black characters, right?

like, Black Lagoon is basically a 29-episode-long 80s action movie, and one of the main characters is a big black dude named Dutch. Dutch loving owns and is in no way a stereotype except that he's bald and large. people loving love Afro Samurai, which is literally about a Samuel L. Jackson-voiced joint-smoking black samurai going around loving people up (Ninja Ninja is... not great, but there's nuances to him). Basquash, a pretty well-regarded sports/robot series with like nothing objectionable whatsoever, has a character who's basically Shuri from Black Panther who the creator has outright explicitly said is supposed to be African-American. one of the title characters of Michiko & Hatchin (along similar lines to Black Lagoon) is Afro-Latina.

the problem is not black people, and honestly the problem isn't even Jaden Smith. the problem is the series around those things. it feels like a mocking cargo-cult imitation of anime cliches rather than a serious attempt at making something inspired by it. and even with that in mind, Neo Yokio doesn't catch a goddamn tenth as much poo poo as the anime you're angry at- seriously, go pop in ADTRW and look at the "worst of the year" threads and notice what most of the picks look like, anime fans hate that fetish-bait poo poo exactly as much as you do on the whole.

Speaking about it, is Michiko & Hatchin any good? I heard of it recently and its interesting to me because Im Brazilian and, as I understand, is basically an anime view of my country

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I'm a fan of errol Morris but he could decide if he wanted to make a documentary or a real film and dragged both out for what feels like forever.
It's more padded than the hobbit trilogy

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

sir this is a wendy's drive thru
but fair enough. that's four series, one you had to asterisk featuring a character called"ninja ninja", but I'll check em out thanks.
I enjoyed the mocking cargo-cult imitation of anime cliches because anime cliches are terrible

you know in Mute, for a dude avoiding getting caught up as an American gone AWOL, in a place where people are rewarded for snitching on you, Cactus Bill really shouldn't be driving a big jeep emblazoned with the stars and stripes :lol:

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Elias_Maluco posted:

Speaking about it, is Michiko & Hatchin any good? I heard of it recently and its interesting to me because Im Brazilian and, as I understand, is basically an anime view of my country

It's loving stellar but I don't know if it possesses anything approaching representational accuracy.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Mr. Maltose posted:

It's loving stellar but I don't know if it possesses anything approaching representational accuracy.

Even better if it dont. I will give it a go, I just have to see what anime Rio de Janeiro looks like

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Mute was mediocre...not great, I guess. Not unwatchable or terrible. 6/10? I liked Paul Rudd & his mustache and I completely had no idea that was Justin Theroux as Duck. Overall it had characters and a cast I liked, just...wasn't very much otherwise. Props to Justin Theroux, didn't even recognize the fucker. Babe.

Honestly for most of the movie I was just kinda confused...like, I thought for sure that either Nadi was alive and had just run off, or Duck had killed her, or something like that...like I figured Cactus Bill was in for a major violent reckoning from the Mute that he did not deserve. I just assumed the scenes showing him drugging and suffocating Nadi were in the Mute's head, like his imagination going places...
Plus Duck mentioning how the Mute wouldn't be finding Nadi earlier, which Cactus Bill seemed perplexed by. I thought that was an implication Duck had done something shady with her without Bill's knowledge. The whole time he was just kind like "Duck you idiot stop goofing with this guy and bringing me unwarranted loving trouble!!"
But I guess it was just the violent psycho ex killing his baby momma so as to keep his kid and escape the country. I guess it's a credit to Rudd's smarmy charm and Mute's muddled script that my head went everywhere but the most obvious place.
Still, having him watch Duck take his kid away while he bled out with a knife in his throat was ugly...Glad Mute took care of that sitch.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Blind Rasputin posted:

Magicians season 3 seems ok so far and better than the last season.

I liked Magicians until it turned into furry fanfiction. Have you watched 12 Monkeys? I'm almost through the first season and like it, but I also liked the original movie which many people didn't at least when it was released.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Has anybody watched Ugly Delicious past the first episode and if so, does it get better? I love every food show like Chef's Table etc but I found the first episode of this one incredibly up its own rear end and a complete jumbled mess. There's like randomly an infomercial joke in the middle of it for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Tim Whatley posted:

Has anybody watched Ugly Delicious past the first episode and if so, does it get better? I love every food show like Chef's Table etc but I found the first episode of this one incredibly up its own rear end and a complete jumbled mess. There's like randomly an infomercial joke in the middle of it for some reason.

I'm only up to 5 right now, but yeah that poo poo is annoying and they tone it down slightly in the subsequent episodes. Don't let it ruin the show for you though, because the rest of the show is great

The show is at its best when it focuses on sociopolitical issues around food. Dave's frustration with a Vietnam war refugee who thinks we're letting in too many Muslims now is one of the high points, along with the illegal immigrant who lets herself be identified in the show, or the guy who is banned from America forever because he snuck in to visit his dying father. I like to think of it as a show about people masquerading as a show about food.

Overall it feels WAY more substantial than Mind of a Chef

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Feb 27, 2018