Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I think AP is back down to 10%. TIW also discounts booze, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Tim Whatley posted:

Yes to both.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Tim Whatley posted:

Yes and TIW also allows you to include up to 10 guests for the discount

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

chitoryu12 posted:

It's every single attraction (including the Main Street vehicles) in a single operating day. It's properly called the WDW47 challenge.

man i thought i was fancy the day I decided to go to each of the parks to pick up their respective Starbucks mug before having to catch my DME bus.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Found out today about the removal of the girl auction from Pirates. Bleh.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Beachcomber posted:

Found out today about the removal of the girl auction from Pirates. Bleh.

Human trafficking is so glamorous, am I right goons?

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

nimper posted:

Human trafficking is so glamorous, am I right goons?

As opposed to the other glamorous actions of pirates?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Pirates were horrifying people but our culture has already romanticized them in such a weird way that if I had a daughter I would rather she gets to view a scene of a badass pirate lady holding her own on an iconic ride instead of a woman sex slave being sold at auction.

Like I know Disney people are maybe secretly the worst when it comes to Facebook comments but it's especially crazy to me the amount of actual mothers to daughters I've seen getting mad about "political correctness" on this specific one because they might lose a four word catchphrase that will probably still exist in some capacity. Very controversial decision to move away from human trafficking, I know.

As a Disney nerd, I get it, but to me that's not even the most memorable part of the ride. But maybe with the new change, that scene could be it for our kids and that's cool to me.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
The ride scene so memorable that it didn't even make its way onto the movie about the ride.
Please stop being wife auction scene apologists.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

siri, show me something that makes me embarrassed to enjoy Disney poo poo as an adult.

https://twitter.com/WDWNT/status/967919612707983360

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

santanotreal posted:

We can show pirates as an unsavory lot without including the literal sex slavery scene.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Rebrand to Jake and the Never Land Pirates Disney plz

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

The best is that Twitter account is poorly defending those lunatics

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Wdwnt.com is generally lovely click bait so not too surprised.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

santanotreal posted:

This, basically. The entire point of the ride is to glamorize a group of people whose actual lives and actions probably ought not be glamorized so much. While also being child-appropriate. Presumably Disney has something in mind for that part of the ride that will avoid the many mines associated with painting too a rosy picture of people who weren’t nearly as rosy in person.

Edit: then again, when the ride was developed/opened kids still played cowboys and indians. I suspect a lot of the people associated with that time period would consider 2018 overly sensitive about a lot more than just the girl auction scene at PotC.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 26, 2018

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

It's already changed in Disneyland Paris and looks exactly like this

Certainly looks better than this

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 26, 2018

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I just want more pirate dogs. Like, just remove every human animatronic and replicate it with various versions of that mutt with the keys at the very end.

That's not a Pirates of the Caribbean thing I want them to do that to the entire park.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Removal of the bride auction is long overdue but since it's so long overdue the scene has been way funnier than the original material in a "oh poo poo I can't believe grandpa is saying that" kind of way, at least the first time through.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
I’m all for the red head becoming a pirate, especially since some of the most feared pirates historically were women.

I still do not understand the argument that changing it is necessary because it’s inappropriate. The entirety of the ride fits that bill, including the theme song.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Add a character actor for the red head to liven up the jack sparrow stage show outside.
You can have that one for free, Disney.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I just want to ask the people saying it shouldn’t change how they would feel if it were a brown person being sold and if they see the problem now.

The entire point of PotC is that it’s a comically over the top family friendly version of what real pirates were but they left in the rapey (fixed earlier) and sex trafficking bit that goes against that entire premise. The fact that real pirates were bad isn’t something anyone is arguing; a realistic portrayal of pirates is and was never the goal of the attraction.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

I just want to ask the people saying it shouldn’t change how they would feel if it were a brown person being sold and if they see the problem now.

The entire point of PotC is that it’s a comically over the top family friendly version of what real pirates were but they left in the rapey (fixed earlier) and sex trafficking bit that goes against that entire premise. The fact that real pirates were bad isn’t something anyone is arguing; a realistic portrayal of pirates is and was never the goal of the attraction.

Your second paragraph addresses the first. I don’t see a problem with the auction scene being a PoC, if the ride isn’t trying to be a comically gross misrepresentation of the period. Given the apparent intention to whitewash the less savory aspects of 18th-century piracy, any sort of human trafficking doesn’t fit.

Also, rapey bits? Never noticed those when I was riding.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Grundulum posted:

Given the apparent intention to whitewash the less savory aspects of 18th-century piracy, any sort of human trafficking doesn’t fit.

Yeah that's my point.

quote:

The women with brooms chasing the pirates used to be chased by the pirates.

The women chasing the pirates in circles with brooms used to be chased by the pirates.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Going this Thursday and Friday to AK, EC, and MK. Crowds are supposed to be Light and weather is supposed to be great. Got my fastpasses set. This is going to be a great trip. :cool:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
OK, OK. I think I get it.

I think I've always looked at Disney as a kind of time capsule. Changing it feels like it's trying to rewrite history. Not the history of pirates, but the history of 1955*. I don't think of it as a living, changing place, despite the recent expansion. Like it's Colonial Williamsburg but for 50 years ago instead of 250.

*MK is basically a less good C/P of Disneyland

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
I dunno, the Carousel of Progress is due for a refresh

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Beachcomber posted:

I think I've always looked at Disney as a kind of time capsule. Changing it feels like it's trying to rewrite history. Not the history of pirates, but the history of 1955*. I don't think of it as a living, changing place, despite the recent expansion. Like it's Colonial Williamsburg but for 50 years ago instead of 250.

I strongly agree with this emotionally. Intellectually, I have to point out that Williamsburg probably took in a *lot* less revenue than WDW did last year. If Epcot still had all the same rides as when the park originally opened, I’m not sure it would draw nearly as many visitors as it currently does. The park needs to evolve to keep people coming, and I suppose that changing aspects within the rides is a natural part of that.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

nimper posted:

We took the cousins on it for the first time last week and they (10 and 11) came out talking about how Walt Disney must have been really smart to know that long ago that we'd have Alexas and VR :v: Other than aesthetic, the last room is pretty drat accurate and adorable.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

nimper posted:

don't you loving dare

just add a second story if you must

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Carousel of Progress is probably the most charming ride in MK don't you dare.
That said, adding another scene would be great, but I don't think circles work like that.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
What we really need is a second carousel of progress that bridges the awkward jump between the 60's (or whatever it is) and modern day.

Disney plz

I don't care if it makes the ride an hour long

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
"It's the 1980s and Ronald Reagan is president! Can you believe that? An actor as our president.
And there's some new movie in the theaters that supposes to blow you away called 'Star Wars'. I don't think it's going to really take off..."

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"I went to New York and visited this businessman, he said he would run for president one day! Like he'd ever get in with that hair!"

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Beachcomber posted:

OK, OK. I think I get it.

*MK is basically a less good C/P of Disneyland

Keep in mind that Walt was constantly changing things while he was alive.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Let’s be honest if they ever change CoP it’ll be the guardians of the galaxy exploring different time periods

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
noooooo

I need an adult

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Empress Brosephine posted:

Let’s be honest if they ever change CoP it’ll be the guardians of the galaxy exploring different time periods

Of all the IP makeovers this one is the worst :smithicide:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Empress Brosephine posted:

As long as Groot is the host for it all.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Silly Burrito posted:

As long as Groot is the host for it all.

I am Groot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edna Mode
Sep 24, 2005

Bullshit, that's last year's Fall collection!

There's two Disneys: the one you went to when you were young and the one you go to now. You keep going partially because of the nostalgia from when you were younger, so it's hard when things change!

I find that all of the complaints about park changes seem pretty silly when you're actually in the parks. Standing in line to meet Black Panther behind an excited kid talking about how much he loved the Guardians ride...I'm not going to interrupt and say "Tower of Terror was better!"