Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
While that Blood Moon with the giant The Dark logo on it looks neat for sure, I was kind of hoping they would just put the original art on all of the reprints, to make the nostalgia feel for the set really work. But I guess that would have been too much to ask out of WotC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/misterorange/status/968151822232891392

I hate everything about this card. It should be an uncommon.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
gently caress nostalgia. Stab it in the throat and smash your Coke-bottle thick rose-tinted glasses.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
My understanding is they don't use a lot of the really old art because the contracts then were to pay royalties per use instead of a flat fee. OTOH, just pay the drat artists.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

whydirt posted:

My understanding is they don't use a lot of the really old art because the contracts then were to pay royalties per use instead of a flat fee. OTOH, just pay the drat artists.

When was the last time Wizards put money towards quality

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/prettycollector/status/968154039316877314

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/gatheringmagic/status/968154367600799744

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

At uncommon. Nice.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Holy poo poo, pauper might be dirt-cheap enough on MODO to be worth buying into now, even with its impending death to Arena.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

The Shortest Path posted:

Holy poo poo, pauper might be dirt-cheap enough on MODO to be worth buying into now, even with its impending death to Arena.

Those are uncommon. It really hard to tell the difference between common and uncommon by looking at the icon color.

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

Imperial Recruiter
https://twitter.com/HotCblog/status/968156256040116224

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Beaten

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Balduvian Horde is a real nostalgia trip for me, also lol at common.

That blood moon with the watermark and minimal centre justified text is glorious.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Sweet monkey Jesus they went and did it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Jesus Christ Imperial Recruiter

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Hell yeah

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Guys should I buy into Legacy Painter guys????

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I'm fascinated how much this is going to cost.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Looking at some stuff in my janky modern wish list, I have noticed some cards have slow creeped up in price to a point of :laffo:

No way anything fulminator gets a reprint, eh maybe omen.

Imagine buying a ruined hallow playset or greater auramancy to build a bad modern deck right now.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Wasn't Recruiter on the Reserved list?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Lol no.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Does getting printed in A25 change the legality of these cards in formats? Would a card suddenly be legal in modern if it was in this set?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

BizarroAzrael posted:

No cards from any Portal set are on the reserved list. The last time any additions or removals from it were made in 2002.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

AceClown posted:

Does getting printed in A25 change the legality of these cards in formats? Would a card suddenly be legal in modern if it was in this set?

Ask yourself what the cost of Mana Drain would be if it were legal in Modern.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

AceClown posted:

No, it does not change their legality.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Star Man posted:

Sweet monkey Jesus they went and did it.

Get in (my cube).

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
The only legality that does change is for pauper. Anything reprinted at common in these masters sets is playable in pauper, even if it wasn't common before.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Tainen posted:

Those are uncommon. It really hard to tell the difference between common and uncommon by looking at the icon color.

gently caress

:swoon:

This and the Blood Moon make up for it though.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

BizarroAzrael posted:

If they were really brave, imperial seal would be reprinted. Also lmao at only the numbers changing colors, not the bush-tree or whatever that planeswalker symbol is supposed to be.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

The only legality that does change is for pauper. Anything reprinted at common in these masters sets is playable in pauper, even if it wasn't common before.

Remember when EMA ruined pauper for like a year? lol.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Man. If Recruiter hits a reasonable price I wanna snap one up.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Count Bleck posted:

Guys should I buy into Legacy Painter guys????

Do you want a deck that hasn't been playable since Top was banned?

I was so excited to play my alpha X Blasts again. :sigh:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

suicidesteve posted:

Do you want a deck that hasn't been playable since Top was banned?

gently caress.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Man, Balduvian Horde at common is a trip if you played back during Alliances. That was a 20$+ Card at one point in he mid 90s. Creatures sure were terrible back then.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

gently caress.

Don't worry, it's easy enough to fix. Just add some Deathrites, some Gurmag Anglers, some Gitaxian Probes, maybe cut some of the red cards like Blood Moon, Koth, Recruiters, etc. You'll have to cut all the sol lands and mountains of course, but in their place you can add $2000+ worth of 18-20 lands. Then just add the same 12 blue cards every deck in the format plays, and your choice of Delver/Daze/Spell Pierce or Jace/Snapcaster/Leovold/Kolaghan's Command. Congratulations, you now have the only legacy deck!

Entropic posted:

Man, Balduvian Horde at common is a trip if you played back during Alliances. That was a 20$+ Card at one point in he mid 90s. Creatures sure were terrible back then.

My cousin bought be a pack of Alliances for Christmas that year and Balduvian Hordes was my rare. I was psyched. I still have it somewhere in all of it's $20 glory.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Imperial Recruiter will drop some, but I also think demand for it will increase just because so many people didn't even know it existed before. There aren't many utility tutoring effects in red, so it goes into tons of EDH decks and cubes.

If I had to guess, the A25 version will end up in the $40-60 range.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

whydirt posted:

If I had to guess, the A25 version will end up in the $100-200 range.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

So is Port going to be mythic or is it going to be ultra-mythic ghost rare?

Trick question, it's not going to be in the set.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

These are hideous but they make Hydro/Pyroblast significantly more affordable for Pauper and I guess you could run 8-RedBlasts if you were crazy enough. That is a really disappointing ABU watermark though.

Pauper Pillage is insane, rip Molten Rain.

Cursecatcher at common probably does nothing for Pauper but the fact that it NEVER had a reprint in ten years and was a $10 card was real stupid, so that's taken care of.

Seriously the loving common/uncommon icons are identical to me. Red/Blue Blast at common would solve a whole lot of frustrating supply issues.

Retromancer posted:

Remember when EMA ruined pauper for like a year? lol.

Dude I posted that Peregrine Drake in May of that year, before it was actually released. That they waited 6 months, didn't ban the Drake, and then emergency banned it a week after the banlist update was pretty hilarious. I made so many tickets with that deck...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
if blood moon hits $10-15 i'll pick up a couple for my playset

so far i'm mainly just hoping this set opens well for phyrexian obliterators to be much lower

curious to see if there's any good fixing for draft/reprinting purposes. won't get fetches again, but old manlands gotta be in this right