Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

U-DO Burger posted:

That is not how I would have reacted to getting nailed in the head by a dart

Try saying that when you have a dart in your Broca's area

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Phanatic posted:

Hot take. Also totally moronic. To actually do a meaningful test launch of a rocket, you need a dummy payload, a big chunk of inert mass. NASA used to use plain old steel boilerplate, built in the rough shape of what they were eventually going to launch. Musk used an obsolete Tesla Roadster, a car that isn't only not even made anymore but which was in the first place just a fundraiser product built on a Lotus platform so Tesla could raise seed capital to make the cars they actually wanted to make, and which had a broke-dick transmission that ended up getting the car recalled. Tesla actually wanted to buy back every one still out there from their owners.

If they didn't launch that 1300kg test mass, burning 11700 kg of fuel, the launch wouldn't have proven a damned thing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boilerplate_(spaceflight)

But you don't understand, he's rich and I'm not! That makes him and everything he does bad by default!

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Proteus Jones posted:

Noted piece of poo poo Robert Murray's defamation case against John Oliver and HBO got thrown out of court with prejudice. (he's going to appeal, but has almost zero chance).

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/02/coal-ceos-defamation-lawsuit-against-john-oliver-is-dismissed/?comments=1

Here's what triggered it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw6RsUhw1Q8

The ACLU's Amicus Brief is loving hilarious (as far as legal filings go). Definitely a recommended read.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/3911409-Wvnd-19902323086.html

Welp, looks like the West Virginia ACLU is getting a donation from me when I get paid next month.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Remember the "Crying Nazi", Chris Cantwell? He decided to sue the people who filed charges, for defaming him and "false imprisonment" (because he was jailed for charges of which he was ultimately found innocent).

Their lawyer is having none of it.

https://twitter.com/EmilyGorcenski/status/963047904746332160

It's a long read, but it just gets funnier as it goes on.

quote:

Defendant Kristopher Goad admits the allegation that he is a resident of Richmond, Virginia. He denies the allegation that he is violent. He admits the allegation that he is an activist. As it is utterly unclear what is meant by the claim that he is a “supporter and adherent of Antifa,” Mr. Goad asserts that he has insufficient information either to admit or deny this allegation. Mr. Goad will state for the record that he, like most thinking people, objects to the definitionally anti-democratic tenets of fascism. Mr. Goad admits the remaining allegations in Paragraph 5 regarding his appearance on August 11, 2017, and not only embraces but is delighted by the Plaintiff's characterization of his moustache.

Cantwell's original complaint is weirdly obsessed with Goad's glasses.

quote:

Mr. Goad admits that his glasses were still on his nose.
Mr. Goad admits that his glasses remained on his nose.
Mr. Goad admits that even now, his glasses were indeed upon his nose.
Mr. Goad once more confesses that his glasses perched atop his nose, while his disco moustache luxuriated gently beneath.
Mr. Goad admits in perpetuity all further allegations regarding the placement of his glasses.

(Bonus: Cantwell used Hatreon and Goy Fund Me - yes, really - to hire Elmer Woodard to represent him. Woodard has some notoriety for a case from 2013, where he unsuccessfully argued that his client had "sexsomnia" and didn't really mean to try to rape a teenager.)

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Haha.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Besesoth posted:

Goy Fund Me

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Besesoth posted:

(Bonus: Cantwell used Hatreon and Goy Fund Me - yes, really - to hire Elmer Woodard to represent him. Woodard has some notoriety for a case from 2013, where he unsuccessfully argued that his client had "sexsomnia" and didn't really mean to try to rape a teenager.)

I have a very sexy learning disease. Mmhh...what do I call it? Sexlexia!

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

sexsomnia is real and it is weird and luckily i've only ever tried to sleep rape my wife but it lead to a few very confusing incidents before we learned what it was now it's just funny

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

MisterOblivious posted:

I really hope they don't do it tonight: The judge has ordered them to write the final order for him.

With any luck, we'll see an "Eat poo poo Bob" in a court order.

So far I can't get past the table of contents. I don't think it's standard procedure to needle the claimant by namechecking them at every turn, Bob.

THE LAW posted:

Anyone Can Legally Say “Eat poo poo, Bob!”

Plaintiffs’ Motion for a Temporary Restraining Order is Ridiculous. Courts Can’t Tell Media Companies How to Report, Bob.

All of John Oliver’s Speech Was Protected by the First Amendment. You Can’t Sue People for Being Mean to You, Bob.

Plaintiff’s Requested Injunction is Clearly Unconstitutional. You Can’t Get a Court Order Telling the Press How to Cover Stories, Bob.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Blue On Blue posted:

This is great

Half of them are just spinning around like a cat looking for an exit point but you're standing in front of it

The guy that escapes is driving a .... scooter?

This must be one of those bad rear end gangs of roving gay men driving scooters terrorizing the motorists

Okay so basically in Baltimore and other east coast cities there's a subculture, mainly among young black men, called "12'o clock boys." Basically it's kind of a pseudo gang where they go around doing wheelies and showing off on motorcycles and ATVs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30lKGIdOzQY

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That scene in Creed with the bikers makes more sense now.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
https://i.imgur.com/yU9ahvd.mp4

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

edit: I'm the toilet vomiter

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

She was drinking Budweiser all night. One common affliction of drinking Budmud, is that you experience extreme bowel loosenage and you dump your entire colon plus 60% of your body weight in water.

knobgobblin
Oct 28, 2010

got a bone to pick

DiggityDoink posted:

She was drinking Budweiser all night. One common affliction of drinking Budmud, is that you experience extreme bowel loosenage and you dump your entire colon plus 60% of your body weight in water.

Buttgeyser.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...
Just came across this tidbit the other day and it was one of the most 'holy crap, the hockey gods are real and they are Canada' moment I've experienced in my life.
I posted video of Slovakia massacring Bulgaria to the tune of 82-0 alongside the video of Slovakia getting destroyed at the Olympics 18-0 by Canada.
A player from Team Canada was speaking at a school recently and was asked why they humiliated Slovakia so badly by playing full speed the entire game.
If you saw the original post, get ready for the most amazing schadenfreude possible.
Canada ran up the score on Slovakia SOLELY because of what they did to Bulgaria.
They would have rag pucked and clown shot after they were up 8-0 or so. But a message needed to be sent -- pull a stunt like you shitheels did, reap the consequences.
Fantastic.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaP672-eEFM

The full Canada game is a hell of a watch. loving fast game, and there was absolutely no mercy shown. Slovakia looks like they're skating through a slushee pond. Glorious.

You just do not gently caress with the Hockey Gods.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

fizzymercy posted:

The full Canada game is a hell of a watch. loving fast game, and there was absolutely no mercy shown. Slovakia looks like they're skating through a slushee pond. Glorious.

Can you even begin to imagine the realization setting in as the game progressed? Like, after the first eight goals or so and having Canada just keep pouring it on to the point of almost double-shifting their top line in the third?
No possible way Slovakia could have been ambivalent to that slaughter.
Slovakia's goaltender couldn't stop bawling after it was all said and done, and I really, really like to think it was half sadness over the beating and half recognizing just why the beating happened.
Shaw Den Froide

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Oh god yes, it's delicious to see the looks of dawning horror on the Slovakian bench once goal 9 slides right in. The moment that puck twangs off the back corner of the goal you just know that Canada is in this to punish. Canada posting ice-time turnarounds in the low 20-30 second range in the 3rd was just brutal. Slovakian players were sobbing intermittently before the last period started. I love every moment of that game, mostly because the Bulgarian game was downright disgusting to watch, and I watch every drat play for every game.

Hockey is too rad, people need to watch it more and play it often.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm not following this, is this the same team that got silver and lost to the US of all things?
edit: oh wait those videos are 2010, so probably not.

Serephina has a new favorite as of 14:33 on Feb 26, 2018

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Yeah, this happened in Vancouver in 2010. The home team advantage played a pretty cool factor in the game. You couldn't hear a goddamn thing on the ice for all the Canadian's fan taunting.

Make no mistake though, Canada could have played the exact same game this year and still pulled off an 18-0 knockoff if they wanted. Slovakia was that overconfident after the Bulgarian slaughter. That's the schadenfruede. They thought they'd slice into a probable loss, but not an embarrassing grindfest.

fizzymercury has a new favorite as of 14:42 on Feb 26, 2018

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

edit: I'm the toilet vomiter

I'm the drunken expectation that a bathroom sink already at a 45 degree angle is going to drain.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

Serephina posted:

I'm not following this, is this the same team that got silver and lost to the US of all things?
edit: oh wait those videos are 2010, so probably not.

Losing to the U.S. in women's hockey isn't embarrassing in the slightest for Canada. They're 1A and 1B in world hockey at this point, and either losing or winning is a matter of the day. Turns out all those Title IX deals in the NCAA mandating women's sports has resulted in one heck of a women's hockey program capable of churning out world-class players on the reg.
Just wish there was the same all the way down the ladder through the top eight teams in the world like in men's hockey...|
Now losing to the U.S. in curling is another matter altogether.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

When I was in middle school, a couple friends of mine were at my house, and they got the bright idea to try this. One put up his hand, the other threw, and THWACK!

It was a great throw. It got stuck in the dead center of his of thumbnail. He was in a lot more pain than the guy in this gif who got domed, though. That point is at least partially in his skull to stick like that.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/fFS0KPV.mp4

(scootin' frooty is at the end)

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Getting stabbed in the dome by a dart doesn't really hurt that bad. You can't really feel it, and the blood doesn't flow until you remove the dart. If that thing went in and stayed, it's probably threaded between the skin and bones so it isn't all that bad.

Drunk darts are fun and not at all why I can't math or words yesly.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Dammit

Drunk darts also didn't cause quote != edit to be confusing.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Weinstein Company to file for bankruptcy.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

acejackson42 posted:

I posted video of Slovakia massacring Bulgaria to the tune of 82-0 alongside the video of Slovakia getting destroyed at the Olympics 18-0 by Canada.

So Slovakia is 82 times better than Bulgaria, but 18 times worse than Canada. If my math isn't failing me this means Canada would beat Bulgaria 1476-0

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Yes. That is how international women's hockey works.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

U-DO Burger posted:

So Slovakia is 82 times better than Bulgaria, but 18 times worse than Canada. If my math isn't failing me this means Canada would beat Bulgaria 1476-0

This theoretical hockey game would just be a Canadian player (or, more likely, a rotation to give people breaks) firing hockey pucks directly into the Bulgarian net. A hockey game has 3, 20-minute periods, so 1476 goals is 24.6 every minute, or nearly one every two seconds. It takes longer than that to get the puck out of the goal and bring it back to center ice, so the reset times would be much longer than the "play" time.

Just a continuous series of faceoffs featuring a Canadian woman staring directly into the eyes of a Bulgarian woman while zipping the puck to one of the forwards, who slap it directly into the Bulgarian goal. Nobody moves, the referee brings the puck back, repeat until time is called.

I'd watch it.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

ExecuDork posted:

Just a continuous series of faceoffs featuring a Canadian woman staring directly into the eyes of a Bulgarian woman while zipping the puck to one of the forwards, who slap it directly into the Bulgarian goal. Nobody moves, the referee brings the puck back, repeat until time is called.

I'd watch it.

My friend have you seen Twin Peaks Season 3

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

ExecuDork posted:

This theoretical hockey game would just be a Canadian player (or, more likely, a rotation to give people breaks) firing hockey pucks directly into the Bulgarian net. A hockey game has 3, 20-minute periods, so 1476 goals is 24.6 every minute, or nearly one every two seconds. It takes longer than that to get the puck out of the goal and bring it back to center ice, so the reset times would be much longer than the "play" time.

I'd watch it.

Not hockey, but:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4afzQyGo5Q

Troy State: 253
DeVry: 141

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Be careful with those high scores, you could end up breaking reality.

Fake edit: Sort of beaten.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

SpacePig posted:

Not hockey, but:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4afzQyGo5Q

Troy State: 253
DeVry: 141

e;fb yeah I totally thought of this too.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

That guy's pretty good at Chardee MacDennis.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The game you want is this one: https://youtu.be/doZzrsDJo-4

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

fizzymercy posted:

Great video description: "Full replay of this rather one-sided Women's Ice Hockey match between Canada and Slovakia during the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic Games."

acejackson42 posted:

Losing to the U.S. in women's hockey isn't embarrassing in the slightest for Canada. They're 1A and 1B in world hockey at this point, and either losing or winning is a matter of the day. Turns out all those Title IX deals in the NCAA mandating women's sports has resulted in one heck of a women's hockey program capable of churning out world-class players on the reg.
Just wish there was the same all the way down the ladder through the top eight teams in the world like in men's hockey...|

I kind of like the fact every tournament builds up to USA v Canada. It's very unique in sports that way and prelims really give a feel of how good the teams are and how much the one game means to them. The battle for third is a whole different tournament.
Let's never talk about curling again

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

fizzymercy posted:

Getting stabbed in the dome by a dart doesn't really hurt that bad. You can't really feel it, and the blood doesn't flow until you remove the dart. If that thing went in and stayed, it's probably threaded between the skin and bones so it isn't all that bad.

Drunk darts are fun and not at all why I can't math or words yesly.

So leave it in forever and live your life looking like a Mad Max villain?

Please I need an answer ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

acejackson42 posted:

We live in a world where John Shuster has more gold medals than Eve Muirhead and I don't know how I feel about that.