Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
We go way back, #1 and me. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Still plenty of pay toilets in Germany, especially on the highways. Sometimes they even give you vouchers for using one!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Chikimiki posted:

Still plenty of pay toilets in Germany, especially on the highways. Sometimes they even give you vouchers for using one!

"Ist... ist das normal?"
"NEIN! IST SUPER!"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_h-u20eMwlw

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Shamelessly stolen from IRC, this is pretty badass:

https://imgur.com/a/NVPZI

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Skoll posted:

I legit miss my family's IBM Aptiva.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Well that's thoroughly insane.

Not often you see welding come up in this sort of thread.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I miss our old Packard Bell Legend.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Dude's got both a legitimately impressive set of technical skills and a bonkers mind.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Skoll posted:

I miss our old Packard Bell Legend.

Did it have navigator?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

Did it have navigator?

http://pbclub.pwcsite.com/wiki/index.php?title=Legend_822CDT

It did but we used AOL at the time.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I think they intended Packard Bell Navigator, the skeuomorphic nightmare world that would attempt to replace program manager/desktop environment. Which according to the website was included. This wouldn't be an alternative to AOL. You might be thinking of Netscape Navigator.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Oh, I just looked it up. I don't remember that at all honestly. If it was on our PC, we never used it. My main memories of it are dial up internet,AOL, IRC chat, Microsoft chat, and 90s games like the X-Wing / TIE Fighter series, Mechwarrior 2, Doom, etc. When we got that computer, when it was new, I probably would have been around 7 or 8 years old and it was our first family PC. Kept it until about 2001.

pofcorn
May 30, 2011
I NEED THIS FLOPPY DRIVE THINGY SO BAD

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Is this a drive you can buy somewhere? Did he hack it together? I don't imagine it would be too hard, but ensuring contact to the SD pads might be challenging.

Edit: Found it. It's hacked together.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Skoll posted:

That floppy SD drive is pretty impressive.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Man, remember how much early viruses sucked? I haven't seen anything that required so much as a full format in years.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Was that really a thing or was it just made up to scare people away from piracy?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Was that really a thing or was it just made up to scare people away from piracy?

Tiny charges implanted in the case. Remember the mass suing? The MPAA used to be way more hardcore before they were forced to temper their methods.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A few later VHS cassettes had some primitive copy protection. I couldn't copy the Crow when I rented it when it was new. It would come out all scrambled and poo poo.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Did you guys have that dad in your neighborhood who got obsessed with owning all the movies and their shelves would be filled with vcr's with handwritten labels identifying the two or three films crammed onto each one?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Randaconda posted:

A few later VHS cassettes had some primitive copy protection. I couldn't copy the Crow when I rented it when it was new. It would come out all scrambled and poo poo.

Macrovision:

quote:

Although Macrovision video copy protection has existed for nearly 15 years, it wasn't until the recent acceptance of DVD in mainstream consumer markets that its existence was felt at all.

The NTSC video standard (the broadcast standard used in North America and Japan) is defined with a 525-line vertical resolution. However, only 480 of those lines are used for transmitting video information. The extra 45 lines are used to carry control codes (such as interlace information), closed captions, and other similar non-video content. Macrovision copy protection works by adding certain codes to these control lines that are interpreted by an Automatic Gain Control chip in a VCR to scramble the video signal if the video is being recorded. Videocassettes that are copied from Macrovision-encoded source material will frequently exhibit color loss, image tearing, variable brightness, and picture instability. Since TVs and video switch boxes do not have Automatic Gain Control circuitry, the Macrovision signals are ignored when the DVD player is connected directly to the television, or indirectly through an A/V switching receiver or switchbox.

However, for this technology to work, the VCR that is used to make an unauthorized copy must contain the Automatic Gain Control circuitry, or no picture distortion will be witnessed. Macrovision estimates that 85% of the VCRs currently in use have automatic gain control circuitry in them, providing copy protection for nearly 550,000,000 videocassettes every year.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
One time in about 2003, I got a VHS in the mail. It was an advertising company and they wanted me to watch a very bad sitcom called "Dads," to review a very specific ad. The message told me that it was a special tape that would erase itself after you played it. The magical technology that did this was a magnet taped to the area where the played tape spooled up, I of course took it off before playing.

The ad itself was an animatic, and I thought it sucked and was very open about telling them that when I called them to finish my task and get $20 in the mail. About 2 months later I saw the live action version of it on TV :whitewater:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

jojoinnit posted:

Did you guys have that dad in your neighborhood who got obsessed with owning all the movies and their shelves would be filled with vcr's with handwritten labels identifying the two or three films crammed onto each one?

Yeah I knew this dad. Had a 90s big TV in the basement flanked by hundreds of copied tapes. It was pretty rad actually but his family kinda sucked.

Light Gun Man has a new favorite as of 14:00 on Feb 27, 2018

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
My dad had videoed all of Star Trek for some reason, he wasn't like a convention going nerd type at all, preparing me well for the piracy and binge watching that immediately came about when i got my first cable modem

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My parents had a bunch of stuff taped off HBO. That's how I saw Raiders of the Lost Ark and Back to the Future for the first time.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

My dad taped all the old Finnish movies on TV and then when he died we threw them all away because there are only like eight watchable (old) Finnish movies in existence and they're all available on DVD.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I sorta miss having old tapes of movies recorded off TV, it was always fun to watch ancient commercials.

Of course now you can find big blocks of them on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1qunjZbhZI

Crini
Sep 2, 2011

I often just sit down and watch 80s commercials at night.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Honey Bunches of Oats?! Mom won't mind!

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Iron Crowned posted:

I sorta miss having old tapes of movies recorded off TV, it was always fun to watch ancient commercials.

You think it's going to be tapes of cool old TV, but what you actually get is:

- 10 minutes of whatever was on TV before the film because the clock on the VCR was wrong
- A lovely 3am film that wasn't worth watching and cuts off 10 minutes before the end because of the above
- 25 minutes of random TV because someone forgot to change the channel when setting the timer
- A good film with the middle third missing because someone recorded a soap opera over it
- The first half of a sitcom episode someone mistakenly though they could squeeze onto the end of the tape

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sweevo posted:

You think it's going to be tapes of cool old TV, but what you actually get is:

- 10 minutes of whatever was on TV before the film because the clock on the VCR was wrong
- A lovely 3am film that wasn't worth watching and cuts off 10 minutes before the end because of the above
- 25 minutes of random TV because someone forgot to change the channel when setting the timer
- A good film with the middle third missing because someone recorded a soap opera over it
- The first half of a sitcom episode someone mistakenly though they could squeeze onto the end of the tape

Not in my house. MY dad was a perfectionist and obsessed with punctuality, so all the clocks were less than 2 minutes off. We also knew drat well than to mess with the VCR after a timer had been set.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Did your dad also stop the recording during commercials?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Did your dad also stop the recording during commercials?

No, but he did figure out you just had to hit pause to do that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Iron Crowned posted:

No, but he did figure out you just had to hit pause to do that.

"Don't hit 'pause' it will stretch the tape!!"

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Iron Crowned posted:

One time in about 2003, I got a VHS in the mail. It was an advertising company and they wanted me to watch a very bad sitcom called "Dads," to review a very specific ad. The message told me that it was a special tape that would erase itself after you played it. The magical technology that did this was a magnet taped to the area where the played tape spooled up, I of course took it off before playing.

The ad itself was an animatic, and I thought it sucked and was very open about telling them that when I called them to finish my task and get $20 in the mail. About 2 months later I saw the live action version of it on TV :whitewater:

I must have been in the same focus group. Was the terrible sitcom featuring this guy?
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0273946/?ref_=tt_cl_t12
I don't remember the commercial, though it's possible they reused the same failed pilot to test multiple ads in multiple markets.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Jerry Cotton posted:

"Don't hit 'pause' it will stretch the tape!!"

ahahaha oh man I forgot this

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I remember staying up really late to record grainy skin flicks on Cinemax or whatnot and hoping no one catches me.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Skoll posted:

I remember staying up really late to record grainy skin flicks on Cinemax or whatnot and hoping no one catches me.

They all starred Shannon Tweed too :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Iron Crowned posted:

Of course now you can find big blocks of them on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1qunjZbhZI

Back in high school in the early 2000's a friend of mine found boxes and boxes of 80's/90's movies and shows on vhs that someone in his family had recorded over the years. The best part was that the commercials were all intact. During the summer we would smoke in the basement watching such hits like Sister Act or Red Heat and would try to guess which year the movie or show was recorded based off the commercials. It became competitive and eventually we started keeping score but the game couldn't work when we were watching awards shows like the 1990 American Music Awards, which we once watched in its entirety.