Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

El Jebus posted:

I love mind numbing data entry if I have the correct spss or database to put it in. Turn on a tv show in the background, or a good podcast, done in no time.

I ended up automating it and getting something like 80,000 rows of data converted and uploaded in a couple days. Now ive just got to talk to the suppliers to get more data.

Feels good, thats 8x more data than theyve ever had done in a day. Apparently theyre going to be using it to do some actual analysis thing

Thatll be cool, no longer mad

dogstile fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

dogstile posted:

I ended up automating it and getting something like 80,000 rows of data concerted and uploaded in a couple days. Now ive just got to talk to the suppliers to get more data.

Feels good, thats 8x more data than theyve ever had done in a day. Apparently theyre going to be using it to do some actual analysis thing

Thatll be cool, no longer mad

Definitely. I don't ever have projects that are large enough to really be worth automating, and usually on paper making it next to impossible. Old people who don't have email so they can't respond to a survey, that sort of thing.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

xzzy posted:

It's a common problem, and with both remedy and servicenow our ticketing system group has gone for the magic string solution. Each email the ticketing system sends out has a "====INSERT REPLY ABOVE THIS LINE====" type line in it and it deletes that line and anything below it before appending to a ticket.

It's a lovely hack but I can't argue with it being effective.
I'm pretty sure this is what Zendesk does by default, I'm not really sure but it seems to mostly work until my boss decides to forward in some additional chain of emails he had going on out-of-band.

What really needs a proper solution is having multiple ticket systems involved in a thread. Even when all parties are using the same ticket system it almost always ends up being a mess.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Just don't accept email responses to ticket :colbert:

An initial email will create a case, outbound email updates are generated, but responses can only be made by clicking a link to add a reply. Make it a unique URL so people don't need to sign up for an account if the don't want to.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Thanks Ants posted:

An initial email will create a case, outbound email updates are generated, but responses can only be made by clicking a link to add a reply. Make it a unique URL so people don't need to sign up for an account if the don't want to.

Sounds extremely inconvenient and dumb, but OK.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's not possible to capture every different way that people choose to respond to an email, and if you're just throwing entire email chains into a support ticket update then you're not really reducing the workload of your helpdesk team. I'm not sure there's many ticketing systems that can accurately parse an emailed response where the requestor has in-lined their answers to questions in the body of the response coming out of the helpdesk.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
So I got my vacation payout.

Still no last 3 days of work or the disputed overtime. Also since I'm in CA they should have asked me before reversing the direct deposit they did in error.

Gonna let the wage claim keep going, not the least part of which is because I want that penalty money :unsmigghh:

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

Thanks Ants posted:

We do this in ServiceNow for specific actions like reopening a ticket or choosing to approve or reject a request. A new blank e-mail window opens and the end user responds. If we didn't use a link, then any comment like "Thanks" would cause tickets to reopen.

Now, we also do allow people to respond to e-mails when it doesn't require certain actions. If someone replies to an e-mail from ServiceNow, their message will be added as a comment to the ticket.

What we did to remove the long cascading chains of replies is strip out everything starting with and after the user's signature. This only works if the person is using our corporate standard for signatures, which is regulated by our organization. This works okay, but the people with exceptions for their signature end up with the chain of replies. Our corporate signature has specific words in it which allow us to strip it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Thanks Ants posted:

It's not possible to capture every different way that people choose to respond to an email, and if you're just throwing entire email chains into a support ticket update then you're not really reducing the workload of your helpdesk team. I'm not sure there's many ticketing systems that can accurately parse an emailed response where the requestor has in-lined their answers to questions in the body of the response coming out of the helpdesk.

RE Ticket 19292:

User has copied the body of FW:Ticket 11029 *from 3 years ago

We had this same issue a month ago. As you can see it was never resolved.

*last 3 replies are a tech asking them for more information followed by the ticket being closed because no one responded.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

poo poo pissing me off: AWS Trusted Advisor has a bug on our us-east-1 account limit in Production for an instance size. It shows our account limit for c4.larges as 20 and we have 1443 running. I can manually launch an instance so we're ok there but my loving limit monitor script won't stop paging me with a high alert because of this. I talked to Premium Support and the guy was about 3 IQ points from brain dead I think. I got it escalated up the chain so hopefully someone can figure out what the hell is going on.

code:

00:04:41
EC2 'Running On-Demand c4.large instances' OK: 1000 (limit=3000)

11:04:09
EC2 'Running On-Demand c4.large instances' OK: 991 (limit=3000)

12:06:49
EC2 'Running On-Demand c4.large instances' usage (991) exceeds critical threshold (limit=20)

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

pixaal posted:

RE Ticket 19292:

User has copied the body of FW:Ticket 11029 *from 3 years ago

We had this same issue a month ago. As you can see it was never resolved.

*last 3 replies are a tech asking them for more information followed by the ticket being closed because no one responded.

I get so many of these. And people wanting to tag up on the same issue occurring again saying it was never fixed. Most often in the latter cases, they copy their reply which was, effectively, “thanks for fixing this!”

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

skooma512 posted:

Gonna let the wage claim keep going, not the least part of which is because I want that penalty money :unsmigghh:
:hfive: Attaboy!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Today, Angry Boss nearly spit out his dip, he wad do furious at me for not being psychic again, and knowing ahead of time that a machine was going to fault at 0708, because I should have been there when it happened to record the fault live. With a video camera that he keeps in his office.

:jerkbag:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Question for those of you who use a phone system that was created this century: do modern voicemail systems detect empty voicemails and not store them, so you're not checking your voicemail because you have a blinking message light but it's just the sound of silence for 1/4 second?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

Question for those of you who use a phone system that was created this century: do modern voicemail systems detect empty voicemails and not store them, so you're not checking your voicemail because you have a blinking message light but it's just the sound of silence for 1/4 second?

Can it also automatically delete all 'this is x, give me a call' voicemails?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Lol at having your voicemail light enabled or even voicemail turned on at all.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

What's a phone?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
My desk phone is primarily a way for people to not have to call “India”. It’s like a rite of passage to learn someone’s extension so that you never have to call the helpdesk extension like a schnook.

That and the popular leave a note and hope some future generation of IT finds it and fixes the issue, which you note simply as “broken”. But not before you complain to the chief nursing officer about how IT never helps and that everything is filthy and broken.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Now, for today's :getout:

Our production office receives orders, they schedule them and then they are built. For like 2% of our units, we have a GPS unit that gets installed. This GPS unit gets programmed with a map (depending on where it's shipping to).

Previously, the sales team would program them as the orders came in. VP of sales said, "Sales should be doing nothing but selling!", so that job got passed off to the production office.

The production office then started emailing the quality office, and then someone in the quality department was programming the maps. Guess what, not all the emails were read/sent and not all the work was done, so they gave it to the person who does orders (this isn't the sales team btw).

So the idiot in orders asks if we can 'automate' the email when we receive an order that gets a GPS unit installed. We could, but we already learned that emails don't work.

My suggestion is as follows:

1. Change the GPS unit to an assembly item
2. A work order would need to be created for each unit that has one
3. This work order can be assigned to whoever is doing the programming
4. This work order would need to be completed before the unit can ship

This is 'too much work', says the production office. "We only miss a few a week. Why can't just we have the email?"

EMAIL GUARANTEES YOU NOTHING YOU IMBECILES

Also, if a unit goes out with a GPS and no map it won't work until we make up a map and the service tech goes out and installs it on the unit.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

lmbo why would a part that needs to go into a finished product not be an item on the assembly list?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

lmbo why would a part that needs to go into a finished product not be an item on the assembly list?

Yeah it seems like production is trying to pass off the task to anybody else. Maybe that task wasn't costed properly?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Let me tell you about our owners manuals. They're in the BOM, but if you order more than one unit, you only get one manual!

"We run out of those a lot. We just manually count those in inventory at the end of the year."

:haw:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

Now, for today's :getout:

Our production office receives orders, they schedule them and then they are built. For like 2% of our units, we have a GPS unit that gets installed. This GPS unit gets programmed with a map (depending on where it's shipping to).

Previously, the sales team would program them as the orders came in. VP of sales said, "Sales should be doing nothing but selling!", so that job got passed off to the production office.

The production office then started emailing the quality office, and then someone in the quality department was programming the maps. Guess what, not all the emails were read/sent and not all the work was done, so they gave it to the person who does orders (this isn't the sales team btw).

So the idiot in orders asks if we can 'automate' the email when we receive an order that gets a GPS unit installed. We could, but we already learned that emails don't work.

My suggestion is as follows:

1. Change the GPS unit to an assembly item
2. A work order would need to be created for each unit that has one
3. This work order can be assigned to whoever is doing the programming
4. This work order would need to be completed before the unit can ship

This is 'too much work', says the production office. "We only miss a few a week. Why can't just we have the email?"

EMAIL GUARANTEES YOU NOTHING YOU IMBECILES

Also, if a unit goes out with a GPS and no map it won't work until we make up a map and the service tech goes out and installs it on the unit.
"We only miss a few a week" is hilarious to me.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Can someone explain to me how my just registered domain is resolving to ns3. & ns4. renewyourexpiereddomain.com when querying several public DNS services (including google)?
I am the registrar and all the at. root servers are giving me the correct results. How did this weird godaddy service insert itself here?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Stuff that slightly annoys me: one of our users cooked its desktop ssd by having the room heater at full blast with his desktop right in front of the heater. Desktop has full warranty coverage, they'll sort it out.

Stuff that heavily pisses me: My home QNAP rack rails decided that suicide was a good thing and broke one of its retention springs, everything is encased in riveted plastic, leaving me no option for improv fixes and qnap has always being stingy in replacement parts so i'll have to buy it again...

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 26, 2018

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Thanatosian posted:

"We only miss a few a week" is hilarious to me.

Agreed. A few a month would be worthy of pillory.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

SEKCobra posted:

Can someone explain to me how my just registered domain is resolving to ns3. & ns4. renewyourexpiereddomain.com when querying several public DNS services (including google)?
I am the registrar and all the at. root servers are giving me the correct results. How did this weird godaddy service insert itself here?

Gotta wait for the TTL for godaddy's entry to expire off everyone's servers. I'd guess they had your new domain pointed at their "buy this now!" page.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

xzzy posted:

Gotta wait for the TTL for godaddy's entry to expire off everyone's servers. I'd guess they had your new domain pointed at their "buy this now!" page.

But it was not owned by godaddy, it was unregistered for months, if not years. I registered the domain an hour ago, when it didn't resolve to anything, and now it started somehow resolving NS to those godaddy servers and I am confused as hell.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

No one can figure out why a label printer isn't working. So they don't need to change labels there are 3 printers in the room for different size labels. It works really nice (they had 1 when I started and it was the bottleneck, they changed labels 20+ times a day).

Well 1 is for letter mail, we don't send out much it's a small desk unit. The manager is out today, guess whose computer it's plugged into by USB? Guess what computer isn't powered on?

User is beating himself up for not realizing it, he claims this happened once before and he fixed it himself. He apologized for wasting my time. I made it clear that he hadn't and since the manager is never out how could anyone expect him to know that it's required.

User stopped by going for a coffee run, I don't drink coffee but they insisted they get me something. So now I have a doughnut and it is good.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I got nothing then.

I know shady registrars have done things where they snatch a domain the instant someone starts querying if it's available but I'm out of that game these days so don't keep up on the state of things.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Bob Morales posted:

:stare:

I'm angry for you if it helps.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

xzzy posted:

I got nothing then.

I know shady registrars have done things where they snatch a domain the instant someone starts querying if it's available but I'm out of that game these days so don't keep up on the state of things.

Yeah no I own the domain, the root servers all return duke & lily, so do local DNS services, but somehow most american public DNS services are giving me those godaddy servers and redirecting the site to dgw.<site>.at "Page Not Found! Unfortunately we were not able to find the page you were looking for. Please check your URL and try again."

Seems to me like godaddy is doing something really shady.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
So I missed this twice checking my spelling, but gently caress whoever registered cloudlfare.com

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I just got the approval to test using strongSwan as a VPN endpoint in Azure because Meraki is still giving me all kinds of headaches and gently caress paying for a vMX100

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

If that's actually the URL you might want to edit it out if you want to avoid reveling where you work.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Meraki's pricing for a virtual appliance that just sits in your mesh VPN setup is hilarious

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

pixaal posted:

If that's actually the URL you might want to edit it out if you want to avoid reveling where you work.

No it's a misspelling of cloudflare.com which caused the problem because I am using the cloudflare DNS right now. I accidentally pointed it towards cloudlfare.com instead.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Would Verisign not shut that down? If it's just pretending to be Cloudflare nameservers but returning garbage results.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
As far as I can tell the problem is, that the A for cloudlfare.com is providing a NS for *.cloudlfare.com. So when I query for duke or lilly .ns.cloudlfare.com it gives a reply when it really shouldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Thanks Ants posted:

Meraki's pricing for a virtual appliance that just sits in your mesh VPN setup is hilarious

Share with the class how hilarious it is.