Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Regrettable posted:

This really depends on whether other people are going straight to the first clue or are out kill other hunters and their knowledge of the spawn points. Most spawn points have others very nearby but the clues are usually set up to draw you away from each other a little. Once you know where they are you can pretty easily surprise and kill other hunters before they even make it to the first one.

:hellyeah: . I never knew how loud my old r9 200 was until this game :O

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

https://clips.twitch.tv/SuccessfulRoughNeanderthalLitFam

I think I made the right play here.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Clues are shared right?

So Icey Seifuku
Dec 26, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

Clues are shared right?

Yes, clues are shared between you and your partner.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

So Icey Seifuku posted:

Yes, clues are shared between you and your partner.

Sorry, I meant shared between all players. Does each team have a unique set of 3?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

w00tmonger posted:

Sorry, I meant shared between all players. Does each team have a unique set of 3?

I don’t think so.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

w00tmonger posted:

They used to but I believe they made it so some teams can share some clues recently. It doesn't matter much since you have multiple clues at the same time, so if you don't want to engage you can wander to another part of the map to find a different one.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

I would have done this. :hellyeah: Good to know those barrels have a huge range.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

You absolutely did.

A few notes about barrels:

-They do have a huge range
-You DO NOT get kill credit if you blow one up on a dude
-Be mindful of them outside the Butcher arenas, he can ignite them with his fire attack on the edges of the walls.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
This game looks cool. How's it gonna run on a 960?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

If you use a consumable and survive does that consumable stick around?

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

-You DO NOT get kill credit if you blow one up on a dude

I've been getting kill credit for blowing people up with red barrels.

Orv
May 4, 2011

w00tmonger posted:

If you use a consumable and survive does that consumable stick around?

Consumables do not, tools do and refill to max uses.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Oh man the suppressed pistol is so good. Destroyed a team at the boss by shooting them from upstairs through a plank gap on the floor. They had no idea what was hitting them.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Commoners posted:

I've been getting kill credit for blowing people up with red barrels.

Hmmm, Montoya and I tested this back in closed alpha - perhaps they updated it? He definitely scored a barrel kill but we didn't get credit.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Hmmm, Montoya and I tested this back in closed alpha - perhaps they updated it? He definitely scored a barrel kill but we didn't get credit.

One of the last test patches fixed it, yeah.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

keyframe posted:

Oh man the suppressed pistol is so good. Destroyed a team at the boss by shooting them from upstairs through a plank gap on the floor. They had no idea what was hitting them.

Even better is that you don't need to look for gaps if you can hear where they are and there's only wood between you and them. Shooting people through walls and floorboards never gets old.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

They put out a patch about a week ago so you get credit for exploding and fire barrels.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Just managed to extract with a bounty for the first time. Me and my friend spent ages being super careful around the boss area and got in position on opposite sides. Then I found the generator and lit the place up like a Christmas tree, causing the other team there to panic, because they were suddenly in a really brightly lit position (this was at night). We managed to down one guy and wound the other before he took out my friend and legged it... INTO the spider nest. I revived my friend and we tried to hunt him but he was camped pretty well inside he door and my friend went down again trying to get him. We then went up top and started sniping the spider though the roof hatch, and chucking lanterns inside hoping to maybe burn the guy out. Spider died but the guy was still around and then my friend fell off an edge and got banned by a pair of zombies, leaving me and possibly one enemy dude on the map. After a minute or two of waiting I nabbed a token and legged it. Turns out the other guy had been camping my friends corpse, but he was unrevivable so I hadn’t even bothered going near. I made a beeline clear across he map for the extraction point, and ran headlong into a swarm zombie. Nearly died, managed to get in a shotgun blast to her face, then vitality shot and ran like hell, gunning poo poo down before it could get close. Got out well before the other dude got close. He had he other token, but eh.

Game makes you feel awesome for doing well, but it’s really punishing when you make a mistake.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
Had an awesome solo game. It was night time, followed a loud newb hunter. Killed him from the bushes without him knowing where I was. The boss was being attacked so I rushed to him. One the way I heard some crows fly up behind me so i jumped into one of those elevated bushes. Hear a hunter walking around, see him he is looking for me but checking ground level so I blast him with my shotgun. Dead and banishment starts.

Then I rush to the extraction point right next to the boss and set up behind tree with good cover as the banishment ends. Banishment team goes to my extraction point but take their sweet time and come in from the north. I'm like, gently caress, because there is a bush blocking my path so i can't see them walk up. I keep waiting and finally the horses start freaking out so that is my signal to attack.

Right before I head out I hear a 2nd hunter team, i freeze and they run right by me without even noticing. They charge the extraction team. Big fight starts. I wait for the first lull in gunfire and rush up, using the bush as cover and toss in my grenade. BOOM and I hear the dead man scream.

Walk up and see 4 corpses. Grab one of the bounties and extract. Look at my end game points and I have 5 kills. I killed 3 people, from 2 different teams, with the frag.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Had a nighttime fight with two other teams at the same time. Used flares for the first time and that poo poo was breathtaking. We somehow won after a twenty minute fight. This game is too intense at nighttime. :v:

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
hmm, scaling back resolution doesn't make you less competitive because they made all the enemies and the hunters really different from each other in profile and color.

Grognan fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Feb 26, 2018

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

For anyone on the fence about this game: it’s good as hell. Weird, definitely, and wayyyy more slow/careful than PUBG or whatever. But it’s super goddamn tense and I just adore the emphasis on sound cues. Also it’s loving gorgeous. I really highly recommend this game.

Also, was talking to a friend tonight and we both agreed that this game has a lot of room to grow. A lot of EA games feel like they can only really settle into whatever niche they’ve dug - this game feels like it can grow a lot. I’ll be curious to see where they take it.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Some people just won't loving die

I mean, I know that the vitality shots are happening - but I never see them happen and it feels like I'm shooting a terminator.

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!

Pathos posted:

For anyone on the fence about this game: it’s good as hell. Weird, definitely, and wayyyy more slow/careful than PUBG or whatever. But it’s super goddamn tense and I just adore the emphasis on sound cues. Also it’s loving gorgeous. I really highly recommend this game.

Also, was talking to a friend tonight and we both agreed that this game has a lot of room to grow. A lot of EA games feel like they can only really settle into whatever niche they’ve dug - this game feels like it can grow a lot. I’ll be curious to see where they take it.

I was hesitant to pick up Hunt because I really do not like PUBG and that seemed like the closest comparison. In the end, the game was so cheap with the GMG 20% off coupon, I figured it would have to be the worst thing ever not to be worth the $24 price tag. After playing on and off this weekend, I absolutely love the idea and quite impressed with the execution, particularly for an Early Access title.

I had a lot of trouble inviting a friend to play with on Saturday so I ended up playing solo all the time. One time, the first clue I scanned at the Slaughterhouse immediately revealed the area itself as the Butcher's lair (very fitting). So I hid on the upper floor of the lair with my rifle and crouched in the dark near a closed door... A couple minutes later, I heard somebody quietly ascending a staircase in the next room. I track their steps on the creaking rotten wood and when the door opened and a hunter snuck past me, I was already aiming at his head. The next victim was stomping on the roof loudly enough to wake the dead. It did take several shots but he went down. The next 6-8 minutes were quiet, but then another hunter appeared on the roof. This time I managed to down him with just two shots, only to hear somebody exclaim "oh poo poo!". I took aim near his corpse and noticed a human head that wasn't there before. That was the fourth victim. I don't remember how long I stayed in the barn after this. Each time I was ready to leave, I heard shots in the distance or stomping outside. I wasn't going to take on the Butcher so eventually I just extracted, but it was a tense session and the one time I killed 4 players.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Kryopsis posted:

I was hesitant to pick up Hunt because I really do not like PUBG and that seemed like the closest comparison. In the end, the game was so cheap with the GMG 20% off coupon, I figured it would have to be the worst thing ever not to be worth the $24 price tag. After playing on and off this weekend, I absolutely love the idea and quite impressed with the execution, particularly for an Early Access title.

I had a lot of trouble inviting a friend to play with on Saturday so I ended up playing solo all the time. One time, the first clue I scanned at the Slaughterhouse immediately revealed the area itself as the Butcher's lair (very fitting). So I hid on the upper floor of the lair with my rifle and crouched in the dark near a closed door... A couple minutes later, I heard somebody quietly ascending a staircase in the next room. I track their steps on the creaking rotten wood and when the door opened and a hunter snuck past me, I was already aiming at his head. The next victim was stomping on the roof loudly enough to wake the dead. It did take several shots but he went down. The next 6-8 minutes were quiet, but then another hunter appeared on the roof. This time I managed to down him with just two shots, only to hear somebody exclaim "oh poo poo!". I took aim near his corpse and noticed a human head that wasn't there before. That was the fourth victim. I don't remember how long I stayed in the barn after this. Each time I was ready to leave, I heard shots in the distance or stomping outside. I wasn't going to take on the Butcher so eventually I just extracted, but it was a tense session and the one time I killed 4 players.

I too, play this game like a psychopath.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I too, play this game like a psychopath.

Understatement of the thread right here.

Are you going to be playing tonight? I wouldn't mind doing a few runs with you again.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.
I find I get more kills on people in the grave yard than any other area, doesn't matter day or night it's just way too easy to see people there and usually has two easy clues

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Two Feet From Bread posted:

Understatement of the thread right here.

Are you going to be playing tonight? I wouldn't mind doing a few runs with you again.

There's a good chance - depends on when my wife wants date night. I'm also bloodline level 29.75 so I'm jones'ing for those sweet Tier II hunters.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I'm also trying to update the OP with a listing of weapons + items. If anyone has funny / accurate brief descriptions and reviews of them - I'd be happy to include.

I admittedly don't have a lot of runtime with some of them (carbine, for example) as I have certain ones I prefer nearly 100% of the time. (SPARKS!)

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Kryopsis posted:

If it works today, I'm all in in 2 hours or so.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I'm also trying to update the OP with a listing of weapons + items. If anyone has funny / accurate brief descriptions and reviews of them - I'd be happy to include.

I admittedly don't have a lot of runtime with some of them (carbine, for example) as I have certain ones I prefer nearly 100% of the time. (SPARKS!)

Is Sparks good? Is it a OHK on bodyshots on tier 1 hunters?

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Not always, head shot yes, Tier 1 hunter with 100 health yes, 150 health very very nearly.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

keyframe posted:

Is Sparks good? Is it a OHK on bodyshots on tier 1 hunters?

Yes, it's good and will one shot anyone with 100 health or less. If you're worried about it only being able to hold a single shot at a time I would suggest the Caldwell Uppercut. It's a six shot revolver that does the same damage as the Sparks but the range is about half what the Sparks gets.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

deported to Canada posted:

Not always, head shot yes, Tier 1 hunter with 100 health yes, 150 health very very nearly.

I was under the impression that headshots were always a down? Is this true, or have I played too much SIege :v:?

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

Yeah headshots are fatal for all players with all weapons.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I believe the post above is true, fatal with all weapons for all health levels. BUT headshots aren't easy to pull off in this game with down-sights aiming only. (If they ever add scopes, this may need to be looked at)

I'd recommend aiming for center mass unless the hunter is standing still - an opportunity you can make with careful and quiet stalking. Even if you're 1 on 2, if you line up a good headshot on one of the hunters, you level the playing field, plus now you have an objective (teammate revival) the enemy will attempt.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I believe the post above is true, fatal with all weapons for all health levels. BUT headshots aren't easy to pull off in this game with down-sights aiming only. (If they ever add scopes, this may need to be looked at)

I'd recommend aiming for center mass unless the hunter is standing still - an opportunity you can make with careful and quiet stalking. Even if you're 1 on 2, if you line up a good headshot on one of the hunters, you level the playing field, plus now you have an objective (teammate revival) the enemy will attempt.

They're planning on adding scopes in their first major patch according to the roadmap.

https://www.huntshowdown.com/roadmap

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Regrettable posted:

They're planning on adding scopes in their first major patch according to the roadmap.

https://www.huntshowdown.com/roadmap

On the one hand, sparks with a scope, on the other hand we're all going to get railed in the head more often.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

On the one hand, sparks with a scope, on the other hand we're all going to get railed in the head more often.

A lot of people are going to be rushing to get to the towers at Blanchett and Healing Waters once those are in the game for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
They are supposed to be "period appropriate" scopes, so I doubt you'll be making sick 1,000 meter plus headshots, but we'll see.