Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
Spoilers, nothing to do with pandas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
so is the eisenhorn book really a new book or its a collection of a bunch of bullshit

is it even about eisenhorn cause i was super butthurt Pariah was marketed as a continuation of eisenhorn and that dude was liken not even in it and we followed someone else for 3/4ths of it.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Waroduce posted:

so is the eisenhorn book really a new book or its a collection of a bunch of bullshit

is it even about eisenhorn cause i was super butthurt Pariah was marketed as a continuation of eisenhorn and that dude was liken not even in it and we followed someone else for 3/4ths of it.

The new book is a bunch of older short stories + a new one. Most of the short stories feature Eisenhorn but dont all have him as a POV.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Waroduce posted:

I bought and finished Magos.

It contains:
  1. Pestilence
  2. Master Imus' Transgression
  3. Regia Occulta
  4. Backcloth for a Crown Additional
  5. The Strange Demise of Titus Endor
  6. The Curiosity
  7. Playing Patience
  8. Thorn Wishes Talon
  9. Gardens of Tycho
  10. The Keeler Image
  11. Perihelion
  12. The Magos

Magos is a new novel, and the main characters are Eisenhorn and Magos Drusher. It's about Eisenhorn running an investigation on the planet that Drusher is stranded on. It takes place about ~25 years before the events of Pariah, after Eisenhorn has already been declared diabolus and heretic by the Inquisition.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Khizan posted:

I bought and finished Magos.

It contains:
  1. Pestilence
  2. Master Imus' Transgression
  3. Regia Occulta
  4. Backcloth for a Crown Additional
  5. The Strange Demise of Titus Endor
  6. The Curiosity
  7. Playing Patience
  8. Thorn Wishes Talon
  9. Gardens of Tycho
  10. The Keeler Image
  11. Perihelion
  12. The Magos

Magos is a new novel, and the main characters are Eisenhorn and Magos Drusher. It's about Eisenhorn running an investigation on the planet that Drusher is stranded on. It takes place about ~25 years before the events of Pariah, after Eisenhorn has already been declared diabolus and heretic by the Inquisition.

Is the Magos portion a full length novel, or a novella?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

berzerkmonkey posted:

Is the Magos portion a full length novel, or a novella?

This is a good question.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Amazon has the ebook version at 604 pages, and the Magos starts at about 52% of the way through, so about 290-300 pages?

I liked it, for what it's worth. It covers the events that lead him towards Pariah.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 26, 2018

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Waroduce posted:

This is a good question.

BL says "novel" but I wanted to make sure they weren't playing fast and loose with that...

Khizan posted:

Amazon has the ebook version at 604 pages, and the Magos starts at about 52% of the way through, so about 290-300 pages?

I liked it, for what it's worth. It covers the events that lead him towards Pariah.
Yeah, the hard copy is 720 pages, so even that would be about 350-ish pages. Thanks for the info.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Okay, I’m going to go ahead and ask it.

Warhammer40k live action movie. Could it be done? Should it be done?

I’d love to see it happen, and for it to be given the Lord of the Rings trilogy treatment - a lot of practical effects and physical props/costumes, forced-perspective trickery to show height differences, not a crazy over-reliance on questionable CGI like the Hobbit trilogy, etc.

There’s no way to do it in one movie and have it be coherent and cover enough of the “world”. I’d say start off small-scale in the first movie and hint at something larger, and gradually build to bigger things. Don’t even focus on Space Marines in the movie, instead keep them as mythical god-warriors that the characters speak of in hushed tones, so that when the Space Marines do show up as a badass asskicking force, it’s truly memorable.

Hard-R rating, especially once Chaos shows up. I’m not saying everything needs to be Buckets Of Blood, but I don’t think it’s possible to do Chaos justice and showcase how hosed up and warped they are without an R-rating.

Be ready to piss the fans off, and don’t cater to their whims unless it actually serves the storytelling. Fans are idiots and it’s impossible to please everyone - I like Necrons a lot but I’d never dream of putting them in the first or even second Warhammer movie in anything bigger than a name-drop.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
The only real way to do it and make it accessible would be to do an Eisenhorn-like movie. It grounds the universe with humanity, and only gives glimpses of the weirdness without drowning the 99.9% of people out there in poo poo they wouldn't understand. Space Marines can be suitably terrifying. Chaos can be disturbing without being a parody of itself.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
New Gaunt's Ghosts AND Eisenhorn? :stonklol:

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Just make a normal war movie or Rogue One, but imperial guard. Warhammer is best when it's about normal people. Space marines are weird and boring.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Moose-Alini posted:

Just make a normal war movie or Rogue One, but imperial guard. Warhammer is best when it's about normal people. Space marines are weird and boring.

Having the space marines being insane god like figures that show up for a big fight that looks like its gonna go really really badly for the heroes and just absolutely wipe everything out and leave again would be cool.

The party of heroes or whatever is facing absolutely overwhelming odds and suddenly these huge weird shapes are moving through the smoke and fire and there's this insane noise and bodies exploding and wreckage flying everywhere and they just sweep through the enemy force without a word and leave, without saying a word or stopping.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Anybody who thinks they should do a 40k movie needs to go watch Ultramarines and then never have that thought again.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fellblade posted:

Anybody who thinks they should do a 40k movie needs to go watch Helsreach and leave it to Richard Boylan to save our mortal souls.

The big thing I want to see in more movies is that the story should be set during a war, rather than being about the war itself. That's the big challenge with adapting 40K. It would be impossible to do a single film about the entire setting, but if you do something small (relatively speaking) like Helsreach, you can hint at the larger histories at play while still focusing on the personal moments that all people must confront in the face of annihilation.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 26, 2018

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

The big thing I want to see in more movies is that the story should be set during a war, rather than being about the war itself. That's the big challenge with adapting 40K. It would be impossible to do a single film about the entire setting, but if you do something small (relatively speaking) like Helsreach, you can hint at the larger histories at play while still focusing on the personal moments that all people must confront in the face of annihilation.

But does it have the new Sigmarines in it? Find somewhere to put the Sigmarines in it.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Ken Burns-style documentary of the Armageddon Wars. Boom, you're welcome.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
HELSREACH by Richard Boylan

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Philip Marlowe, private arbiter, and his case files in the Last Angles hive sump.

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 26, 2018

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Arcsquad12 posted:

HELSREACH by Richard Boylan

Which has been pretty amazing. The dude stitched them all together and it's over an hour and half long. A buddy and I sat down and watched it one night at a 'Con and it went by really quick. We both agreed that it was pretty drat cool. My only complaint is the weird chapter master voice.

That Titan tho. Love the War of the Worlds death horns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUplioG2DC4

Philthy fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 26, 2018

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Fellblade posted:

But does it have the new Sigmarines in it? Find somewhere to put the Sigmarines in it.

That'll be the after-credits teaser.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Fellblade posted:

Anybody who thinks they should do a 40k movie needs to go watch Ultramarines and then never have that thought again.

I’ve seen that movie, and the biggest conceptual problem it has is that it’s about Space Marines - like others (and myself) said, the best way to initially treat Space Marines is as this barely-seen force of destruction that swoops in like a Deus Ex Machina, wrecks the enemy’s poo poo, and vanishes as the heroes say “holy loving poo poo, I’m glad those guys are on our side”.

Showing Space Marines as (trans)human characters with personalities and opinions and flaws is all well and good, but I think that’s the sort of thing you save for later stories - at first it’s important to show just how physically superior they are to normal everyday people.

I agree that the right way to do a 40k movie is to focus on normal people, but I don’t think something like Eisenhorn is the first thing I’d want to see as a movie. Eisenhorn owns, but for a story set in a galaxy where “there is only war”, doesn’t the Eisenhorn trilogy feature approximately 0 battles or battlefields? Leading with Eisenhorn is like if the first Star Wars movie was ‘Solo’, rather than A New Hope.
I’d save Eisenhorn for later, when you want to tell a (freaking great) character-driven “side story”.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
An adaptation of the Iron snake novels would be good, as it basically showcases they are weird transhumans and absurdly powerful. I always thought the scene where he kills like 6 dark eldar in an orchard as being perfect for a film.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

berzerkmonkey posted:

BL says "novel" but I wanted to make sure they weren't playing fast and loose with that...

oh for sure i wasn't being snarky

Xenomrph posted:

Okay, I’m going to go ahead and ask it.

Warhammer40k live action movie. Could it be done? Should it be done?

I’d love to see it happen, and for it to be given the Lord of the Rings trilogy treatment - a lot of practical effects and physical props/costumes, forced-perspective trickery to show height differences, not a crazy over-reliance on questionable CGI like the Hobbit trilogy, etc.

There’s no way to do it in one movie and have it be coherent and cover enough of the “world”. I’d say start off small-scale in the first movie and hint at something larger, and gradually build to bigger things. Don’t even focus on Space Marines in the movie, instead keep them as mythical god-warriors that the characters speak of in hushed tones, so that when the Space Marines do show up as a badass asskicking force, it’s truly memorable.

Hard-R rating, especially once Chaos shows up. I’m not saying everything needs to be Buckets Of Blood, but I don’t think it’s possible to do Chaos justice and showcase how hosed up and warped they are without an R-rating.

Be ready to piss the fans off, and don’t cater to their whims unless it actually serves the storytelling. Fans are idiots and it’s impossible to please everyone - I like Necrons a lot but I’d never dream of putting them in the first or even second Warhammer movie in anything bigger than a name-drop.

I think it could be done, but it would need to basically be like Platoon with IG on some shithole planet but against some run of the mill rebel/insurgents and than as our team moves deeper into territory or something the opposition becomes increasingly corrupt and or hints of xenos and than theres a big bad daemon/alien after half the cast has died and everyones getting ripped to shreds and than the Emperor's Angels show up and kill everything and are just like ok bye

do it as a one shot stand alone, dont bother trying to adapt poo poo. make it a trilogy if you want with hints of xenos and stuff and maybe in the final movie we get a little POV from a Marine but space marines are hard to do well in text when we can see in their head, doing a space marine well or as a real character in live action film is going to require alot of build up and passive knoweldge from the audience. dont try to make the movie anything except a standard war story, with some hints of sci-fi/horror at the end and than the final scene can be like the Astartes showing up, wrecking poo poo and the sole survior from the IG gettign on a thunderhawk and taken up to space where like the scale of the war is revealed, planet wide battle, huge shots of the navy and giant rear end loving ships and than he gets on a ship and is shot dead by a commisar

jk he gets on a ship and gets reassigned, or posted to the astartes auxiliary or yoinked by the inquisiton and just make the inquisition CIA in space to start.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Xenomrph posted:

I agree that the right way to do a 40k movie is to focus on normal people, but I don’t think something like Eisenhorn is the first thing I’d want to see as a movie. Eisenhorn owns, but for a story set in a galaxy where “there is only war”, doesn’t the Eisenhorn trilogy feature approximately 0 battles or battlefields? Leading with Eisenhorn is like if the first Star Wars movie was ‘Solo’, rather than A New Hope.
I’d save Eisenhorn for later, when you want to tell a (freaking great) character-driven “side story”.

How many big battles did New Hope have? Eisenhorn is a brilliant introduction to the setting, showing off the breadth of the Imperium and the sheer power and respect and fear given to Space Marines, both normal and Chaos. Although a Ciaphas Cain TV series would be pretty great. Most people say "HBO Gaunts Ghosts" but Cain is perfect for getting people into the world thanks to the comedic aspect.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Has any new 40K book talked about regular marines getting the Primaris treatment?

Any of the current Chapter Masters? Dante? Ragnar? Azrael? Calgar? Bueller?

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

Has any new 40K book talked about regular marines getting the Primaris treatment?

Any of the current Chapter Masters? Dante? Ragnar? Azrael? Calgar? Bueller?

Is there a retrofit package for mk 1 marines? I haven't seen anything describing it.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Though that does bring up the question, could they use the Primaris treatment on the Primarchs themselves? Or would it not really do anything at all for them?

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Ok, dudes, I think we need to step back a bit on the Ultramarines movie. That movie didn't suck because it was about Space Marines or because a 40k movie is a fools errand. It sucked because there was no script. It sucked because the plot consisted of landing on a planet for a vague reason, fleeing the planet for a vague reason, and having a boss battle on a ship for a vague reason. There were basically no Characters, no dialogue, no story, no justification for the movie existing. We should not use Ultramarines as an excuse for not looking into new media adaptations, but as a warning that if a property is getting translated, maybe you should get some people who know how to make movies involved at some point.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I would assume that Abnett's script was far, far better than what they chopped it up to be in the end.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think the best 40k movie adaptation would be Necropolis. It's Stalingrad on 40k, gets a mix of prominent men and women characters, show the Space Marines at the very end.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I remember a book where a human was trained to act as a chapter storyteller for space marines, and at one point he winds up in the middle of an important meeting of space marines and primarchs. They close in to question and examine him and he finds it terrifying because they are not simply large humans, but large, ultra-powerful creepy as poo poo weirdos. I think one of them even says "Hey we should ease up because we're scaring the poo poo out of this poor human."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dick Trauma posted:

I remember a book where a human was trained to act as a chapter storyteller for space marines, and at one point he winds up in the middle of an important meeting of space marines and primarchs. They close in to question and examine him and he finds it terrifying because they are not simply large humans, but large, ultra-powerful creepy as poo poo weirdos. I think one of them even says "Hey we should ease up because we're scaring the poo poo out of this poor human."

Prospero Burns, in the Horus Heresy series.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Prospero Burns, in the Horus Heresy series.

Answer must be in the form of a question, so no points for you.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Immanentized posted:

Is there a retrofit package for mk 1 marines? I haven't seen anything describing it.

There is, but I don't think it's been as heavily described as the ones that got it from the start (the ones direct from Cawl's labs). Nor has it really been mentioned in the context of existing characters.

Zil posted:

Though that does bring up the question, could they use the Primaris treatment on the Primarchs themselves? Or would it not really do anything at all for them?

Well, Primaris stuff is basically what Cawl could suss out about the Primarch creation process, but even that's incomplete - hence why they're bigger and tougher than a regular Marine, but not full Primarchs. It seems like "jam more of what's already there into them" as far as Primarchs goes is a bit of a nonstarter - otherwise wouldn't big E have considered it?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Dick Trauma posted:

Don't forget that regular Marines already creep the hell out of regular humans due to their size and personalities. Now tack on a Primarch's psychic presence, which already puts regular Marines into a state of awe.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Brother, foes anyone ever laugh at your "jokes"?

...Humans sometimes do.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
What I'd want from a 40k movie is something set in the Gothic War. Following a fighter crew maybe?

Seeing a dogfight in deep space, only to then have a slow-mo shot of a building sized macro shell thundering past, followed by zooming out giant cathedrals in space lobbing shells at each other sounds real cool to me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Aren't the smallest imperial starfighters the size of a 747 jumbo jet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Arcsquad12 posted:

Aren't the smallest imperial starfighters the size of a 747 jumbo jet?

The ones in Double Eagle came across to me as being WWII fighter sized.

I mean unless you’re making a distinction between atmospheric fighters and stuff that operates in a vacuum I guess.