Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Make the jump jet upgrade for the Prawn. It solves basically all those problems.

Oh, I made it, and it helped, but it doesn't fix the Prawn's molasses slow horizontal movement. Yes, you can use the grapple for that, sort of, but I've found the grapple iffy on latching onto things you want it to. Also I have no earthly idea why they decided the grapple needed travel time and to be affected by gravity. This is star trek, I can make a star trek replicator with two bits of metal and some coral, I do not need realism for my deep sea mech grapple.

Frankly my issue is that having to deal with gravity, a thrust timer for vertical movement (even with the jump jet making this less of an issue), and a grapple introduces a slew of restrictions and things to think about when exploring the environment, and that's a pretty harsh damper on enjoyment when the last 20 hours have been very good for giving you complete freedom of action when moving around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
I'm bad because I don't even use the Cyclops. Have to make it to build the escape rocket, but I don't USE it. I use Seamoth for my Lost River exploration to get the resources I need to make depth modules for the PRAWN suit, then take the stompy suit all the way down to the final base and teleport back up and out. Downside is that I have to make a second suit for mining up at the surface again, but it's a decent tradeoff. Never make the grappler either, I just stomp around and use the jets. Honestly don't have any problems with it at all.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

Meiteron posted:

Oh, I made it, and it helped, but it doesn't fix the Prawn's molasses slow horizontal movement. Yes, you can use the grapple for that, sort of, but I've found the grapple iffy on latching onto things you want it to. Also I have no earthly idea why they decided the grapple needed travel time and to be affected by gravity.

There's a mod called Lilin's Multimod which offers a number of QoL tweaks various people in the thread seem like they might like, including
-making the cyclops faster and slightly more energy efficient
-making the prawn grapple both travel and pull faster
-making the final seamoth depth upgrade extend it to 1700m

I never used the last one (possibly because the first two did so much to ease the use of those other vehicles) but I think some seamoth fans in the thread would get kick out of it. The mod also has some difficulty increasing tweaks, but there's a version without them if that doesn't interest you (as it didn't interest me).

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Meiteron posted:

Oh, I made it, and it helped, but it doesn't fix the Prawn's molasses slow horizontal movement. Yes, you can use the grapple for that, sort of, but I've found the grapple iffy on latching onto things you want it to. Also I have no earthly idea why they decided the grapple needed travel time and to be affected by gravity. This is star trek, I can make a star trek replicator with two bits of metal and some coral, I do not need realism for my deep sea mech grapple.

Frankly my issue is that having to deal with gravity, a thrust timer for vertical movement (even with the jump jet making this less of an issue), and a grapple introduces a slew of restrictions and things to think about when exploring the environment, and that's a pretty harsh damper on enjoyment when the last 20 hours have been very good for giving you complete freedom of action when moving around.

Ah, I see. I guess I never had the expectation that the Prawn was going to be a solution for general travel. I use the Prawn as an armor suit -- when I need to get out of a vehicle and collect things or do finer-grained exploration in dangerous territory, I want the big hunk of metal around me that reduces Ghost Leviathan damage to 9% per hit. I use the Cyclops as a glorified taxi for the thing. Compare this to the Seamoth, which explodes if it even gets looked at funny. The zapper on the Seamoth helps a little in that regard, but it's easy to get overwhelmed in my experience.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Note also that the Prawn suit has an amateur-hour exploit: its velocity vector is faster if you're strafing plus moving forward. That makes the speed feel reasonable.

But boy howdy I made the Cyclops my main resource library (the entire lower deck is lined with lockers, ironically I ignore the built-in lockers because I can't label them) and that has been a lifesaver and well worth it. Getting to my Lost River base at the junction was somewhat hairy but no worse than, say, backing in a semi trailer.

Plus, with HexiDave's mod, I can just park the sub outside a seabase, swim down and have access to everything on the sub and whatever leftovers I have in the base.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I read on their Trello thing that they are thinking about adding a cyclops dock. I really want something like that. Even something like an umbilical that attaches when you get close enough to the relevant dock seabase room or whatever, that can recharge the sub from base power.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 42 minutes!
Did they change the way cyclops is charged? Back in beta you could build power cell chargers inside the cyclops and charge cyclops's own power cells using it, because science.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

enraged_camel posted:

Did they change the way cyclops is charged? Back in beta you could build power cell chargers inside the cyclops and charge cyclops's own power cells using it, because science.

That's fixed, it's no longer a positive power loop.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Meiteron posted:

I would spend a few minutes practicing the jump-grapple-release timing, the prawn suit with even just one grapple arm is about as fast as the seamoth

With two its WAY faster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-_53W_nHEk

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

f#a# posted:

Note also that the Prawn suit has an amateur-hour exploit: its velocity vector is faster if you're strafing plus moving forward. That makes the speed feel reasonable.

But boy howdy I made the Cyclops my main resource library (the entire lower deck is lined with lockers, ironically I ignore the built-in lockers because I can't label them) and that has been a lifesaver and well worth it. Getting to my Lost River base at the junction was somewhat hairy but no worse than, say, backing in a semi trailer.

Plus, with HexiDave's mod, I can just park the sub outside a seabase, swim down and have access to everything on the sub and whatever leftovers I have in the base.

I think the devs just like old school stuff like strafe jumping, it’s a thing in Natural Selection2 too.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I just opened a time capsule that had nothing but one nutrient block and a single bottle of regular water.

gently caress off :mad:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Ah, I see. I guess I never had the expectation that the Prawn was going to be a solution for general travel. I use the Prawn as an armor suit -- when I need to get out of a vehicle and collect things or do finer-grained exploration in dangerous territory, I want the big hunk of metal around me that reduces Ghost Leviathan damage to 9% per hit. I use the Cyclops as a glorified taxi for the thing. Compare this to the Seamoth, which explodes if it even gets looked at funny. The zapper on the Seamoth helps a little in that regard, but it's easy to get overwhelmed in my experience.
For reference, being grabbed by a reaper leviathan for the full duration does about 70-75% of a Seamoth's health.
In a prawn it does like, 20%.

The Seamoth is definitely pretty nippy but I would never use it for anything other than bouncing between bases. For hard core exploration and resource exploitation the prawn is your suit. Drill nodes are just so great for stuff.

I don't like the prawn for how clunky it is even after I figured out how to crabwalk everywhere and get some grappling down. Although it was fun to grapple out of the jellyshroom caves and grapple onto the cyclops to help dock to it. But then I wanted to pick stuff up and I had super jump jets and it was like...
'Yeah I'll just taxi my prawn places in the clops and faff around when I get there.'

Being forced to deal with the verticality of the world rather than ignore it puts a damper on walking everywhere.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can you cycle between arms stored in the prawn's inventory without having to get out or do you have to equip and unequip them manually?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Internet Kraken posted:

Can you cycle between arms stored in the prawn's inventory without having to get out or do you have to equip and unequip them manually?
Gotta get out, access the panel, take the arm out, put the other back in, get back in. If the arm's in the prawn's inventory then you have an extra step to take it out of there.
Can't be docked in the Cyclops Moonpool :argh: either.

The annoyance adds up fast.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 26, 2018

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I've noticed you can't seem to add upgrades to the prawn or open it's inventory if it's docked in a moonpool :shepface: leading to me having to undock it, install the depth upgrade, then jump back up into the moonpool. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or not. The Seamoth works right.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

EponymousMrYar posted:

Can't be docked in the Cyclops either.

The little docking bay control console in the Cyclops let's you exchange modules/arms, access the docked vehicles inventory, and reload torpedoes. It's super useful!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Danaru posted:

I've noticed you can't seem to add upgrades to the prawn or open it's inventory if it's docked in a moonpool :shepface: leading to me having to undock it, install the depth upgrade, then jump back up into the moonpool. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or not. The Seamoth works right.

You can do upgrades in the moonpool if you pixel hunt for the upgrade panel. It used to be easier than undocking though. No way you're getting the inventory without undocking.

Jawnycat posted:

The little docking bay control console in the Cyclops let's you exchange modules/arms, access the docked vehicles inventory, and reload torpedoes. It's super useful!

I meant moonpool :argh:

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Away all Goats posted:

I would spend a few minutes practicing the jump-grapple-release timing, the prawn suit with even just one grapple arm is about as fast as the seamoth

With two its WAY faster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-_53W_nHEk

:crossarms:

Hmm. Well seeing that is enough to think that maybe practice would get the Prawn up to workable so I guess I won't write it off yet, I'll devote some time to gitting gud with the grapple and seeing it it pays off.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
One of the first things I did with the Prawn was grapple onto a sand shark and drill it to death. The Prawn rules

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

EponymousMrYar posted:

You can do upgrades in the moonpool if you pixel hunt for the upgrade panel.

I cannot find the loving thing for the life of me

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I figured taxiing the Prawn around in the Cyclops to drop wherever you need it is exactly how it's intended to be used, much like real life diving suits.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I wish the Prawn (and the Seamoth for that matter) had the same access panel in a moonpool as it does in the Cyclops.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

That's fixed, it's no longer a positive power loop.

The devs don't seem to mind breaking the laws of thermodynamics with potato reactors though :v:

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

I kinda wish there was a hand-held large drill to use on resources nodes without the Prawn. The bloody thing is just so awkward to use compared to the Seamoth.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rutibex posted:

The devs don't seem to mind breaking the laws of thermodynamics with potato reactors though :v:

They have also shamefully forgotten to model diabetes in their video game by allowing one to subsist solely on melons. MY IMMERSION :argh:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

They have also shamefully forgotten to model diabetes in their video game by allowing one to subsist solely on melons. MY IMMERSION :argh:

I assume those melons are genetically engineered by The Federation to be nutritionally complete.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I thought the badlands surrounding the Aurora would be a great place to find wrecks and fragments but it sucks. There's more metal salvage than you could ever use but there aren't any wrecks to be found. The only fragments are tons of propulsion cannons and the occasional cyclops piece. Disappointing.

Its a surprisingly good source of quartz though since its very easy to spot sitting out in the open. Just keep your eyes peeled for reapers.

Rutibex posted:

I assume those melons are genetically engineered by The Federation to be nutritionally complete.

It'd make more sense for you to be some genetically altered abomination capable of surviving off almost anything. Since I settled next to the bulb forest I've lived almost entirely off a diet of them.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rutibex posted:

Nope! They're native to Planet Y or whatever it's called. They would clearly cause Razor Soup Blood IRL.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Wait, you can eat the bulb forest plants?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Cobbsprite posted:

Yeah, they're +3 Food and +10 Water.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

ReWinter posted:

There's a mod called Lilin's Multimod which offers a number of QoL tweaks various people in the thread seem like they might like, including
-making the cyclops faster and slightly more energy efficient
-making the prawn grapple both travel and pull faster
-making the final seamoth depth upgrade extend it to 1700m

I never used the last one (possibly because the first two did so much to ease the use of those other vehicles) but I think some seamoth fans in the thread would get kick out of it. The mod also has some difficulty increasing tweaks, but there's a version without them if that doesn't interest you (as it didn't interest me).
I installed this yesterday and could never look back. Highly recommend

The most important features imo are 8x8 inventory and added quick slots 6-8

Seriously why the gently caress do I need to play inventory manager and keep switching between repair tool or laser or propulsion or whatever? It’s so loving stupid and there’s no reason it should have been 1-5 to begin with. Also the bigger inventory feels just about right. Not quite too much and I still have to manage inventory a lot, but not so much I’m frustrated every 5 minutiae

I haven’t noticed the other vehicle changes other than fast Seamoth because I’m still in a derpy seamoth but it’s loving life changing at my point in the gam

Also super easy to install https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/11

Xaris fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 27, 2018

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cobbsprite posted:

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah, they're +3 Food and +10 Water.

More specifically, their "Stab if with a knife for samples to plant" are actually edible. Unlike 99% of all plants you stab with a knife for samples or seeds.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Related to that, what's the best growable plant for bioreactors? I just run mine off of bulbo baggins tree samples.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Related to that, what's the best growable plant for bioreactors? I just run mine off of bulbo baggins tree samples.

The best growable bio fuel is building a second MP room with an alien containment tank full of edible fish :v: Still wistfully wishing I could pull a lever to flush fish directly into it while Powerhouse plays.

A gel sack you gotta deal with replanting. But they are worth 245 power each at a single tile of inventory, which does put them as probably the most efficient per space plant. (Melons are 2x2 in size, putting a damper on their 420 energy value)). But even stuff like peepers are worth 420 power, take up a single tile, and can be turned into salted travel snacks. So you have a better fuel source, that self replenishes, which doubles as an additional food source.

That said, the only real downside to throwing whatever you want into a bio reactor, is having to stop and restock it more often. No matter what you put in it, it's got the slow as gently caress "roughly 25 energy per minute" output. It can certainly save you some back and forth if you like using your scan room and other power draws often, though.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 27, 2018

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 42 minutes!
Is there a mod that lets you build bases on reefbacks? Because that seems like a tremendous missed opportunity in terms of "insanely cool things you wish you could do"

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

enraged_camel posted:

Is there a mod that lets you build bases on reefbacks? Because that seems like a tremendous missed opportunity in terms of "insanely cool things you wish you could do"
I looked and no. Given Flayra and co’ history with game engines, I don’t think it could be done. It’s generally a very static game and anything moving is gunna break a bunch of poo poo

Also I installed a mod that adds a map to M key because my memory sucks and I get disoriented easy. It’s pretty drat nice between that and Lilns mod allowing me to hopefully finish this game without obscene amount of busywork and lets me map out where I’ve been and stuff easier

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Something weird about Reefbacks is that the plants growing on them can't be ripped out with the propulsion canon. Same goes for growbeds. Pretty annoying since finding rogue cradles that aren't growing on reefbacks is really difficult.

I can't come up with anything good to fill my observatory with. Fish keep clipping out of it and nothing you can carry glows well.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 27, 2018

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

This would be perfect if you could also get out of your base and use a laser cutter on the ground to get infinite free fuel blocks for your bioreactor. :gibs:

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

enraged_camel posted:

yeah when i found out you couldn't do this i was upset. it'd be rad to be able to direct them places too. hey, mr reefback. go swim over there. it'd take like gently caress ages but you'd have a super sweet little roaming base onto of one of those big sweet lads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Just paint your cyclops like a reefback and put cow noises on in the background.