Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tricky Ed posted:

The trucking industry is crueler to its workers than most other industries in this country, which is saying a lot. It's also dangerous.

Holy poo poo, retail workers are on that list and more die by violence than police officers :aaa:

Elephanthead posted:

If you want to drive a truck do local deliveries or short haul where you are home everynight or day. I also recommend dump trucking and fuckin.

This. If you're gonna drive trucks do it locally, I guy I know drives for a grocery chain, makes really good money and is home every day.

There's also heavy equipment operation, that would be the poo poo :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Holy poo poo, retail workers are on that list and more die by violence than police officers :aaa:

Not shocking.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
it is called a stop and rob for a reason.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Try tow trucking also. All the cheap crappy cars you can salvage.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Applebees Appetizer posted:

This. If you're gonna drive trucks do it locally, I guy I know drives for a grocery chain, makes really good money and is home every day.

There's also heavy equipment operation, that would be the poo poo :getin:

Heavy equipment is fun as gently caress. I drove an end loader for a summer out of high school in a lime pit, it was a blast.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Heavy equipment is fun as gently caress. I drove an end loader for a summer out of high school in a lime pit, it was a blast.

https://youtu.be/Cp4STf-vAEo

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

cakesmith handyman posted:

Try tow trucking also. All the cheap crappy cars you can salvage.

He can camp out near mechanic's shops and tow away customers who block the service bays!

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Elephanthead posted:

If you want to drive a truck do local deliveries or short haul where you are home everynight or day. I also recommend dump trucking and fuckin.

Truckin and Fuckin is all I crave

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So with all those other suggestions, my takeaway is that a CDL itself is not necessarily a terrible idea to get?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

So with all those other suggestions, my takeaway is that a CDL itself is not necessarily a terrible idea to get?

Having a CDL can open you up to extra legal requirements and restrictions. Some jurisdictions a CDL means that you have a lower threshold for DUI (even in personal vehicles), require periodic health exams (at your expense), will make it so police that pull you over for absolutely anything will cut you less slack, and generally speaking don't give you any benefit unless you're actively working in a role that requires it.

My dad was a truck driver for most of my life. He loving hated it and he wasn't even over the road.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Driving anything for a living sucks. I took a courier job because they were paying well and thought it would be a relatively cool job to drive around and be by myself with no one over my shoulder.

After two weeks I quit, driving all day every day, five days a week is loving horrible and i do not recommend it.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

Its not a bad thing to have but with your driving record showing a suspension and tickets it may be hard to find employment. Don’t get suckered in by a company offering to sponsor your cdl, they expect indentured servitude afterwards. If you go to a school ask for the price upfront. I sorta fell for that crap myself nearly 20 years ago and it hasn’t gotten better.

If you want to learn a skill that pays consider welding.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah welding is a good trade to get into right now. My 21 year old nephew is making twice the money I do after going to some trade school in Tulsa for a year or two. He had a bunch of offers right out of the gate from all over the country.

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic
Welding is also super fun, and practical outside of being a trade. Welding is what turns a tanker truck into a war rig

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

420 SWAGLORD posted:

Welding is also super fun, and practical outside of being a trade.

Can confirm. I've been doing a bunch of welding the last couple of weekends for a DIY project. I'm not good at it at all, but it's a bunch of fun making steel stick together. You can get started at a hobby / DIY level for a few hundred bucks and a few hours of watching YouTube videos.

Jo3sh fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 25, 2018

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I can see Dave becoming the ColinFurze of his local area. That might work as a career.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

420 SWAGLORD posted:

Welding is also super fun, and practical outside of being a trade. Welding is what turns a tanker truck into a war rig

seconding this. Learning how to weld is a fantastic thing to know.

another to consider is HVAC.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
One of tremeks kids was all why does your trailer smell like ham and im like fukken mind ur own business u little poo poo

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

COOL DICK LUKE posted:

One of tremeks kids was all why does your trailer smell like ham and im like fukken mind ur own business u little poo poo

Did he steal your money / chips / hotplate? Or do we need to send Hostel kid to learn him good.

Also seconding dave getting a job in the trades that's not working flatrate on cars again, welders make good money, as do plumbers /electricians etc. Welders generally don't have to dig in poo poo caked pipes / water etc though.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Leperflesh posted:

On the other hand, trucking companies with their own fleets need fleet mechanics, and that seems like maybe a way better gig than working for book time

Fleet mechanics are treated worse than the drivers. "Book time" isn't even a thing. "We need this truck back up and running tomorrow morning at 5AM absolutely no questions no complaints, we don't even care that it showed up literally on fire."

I know a guy that works fleet maintenance on concrete trucks. His day starts Monday at 0415 and ends Saturday around midnight. He grabs snacks and sleep as he can. 100 hours on the clock is a light week. He's also over 60 now, and has been doing this since the 70s. His health and mental state is best described as "not great."

tater_salad posted:

Did he steal your money / chips / hotplate? Or do we need to send Hostel kid to learn him good.

Also seconding dave getting a job in the trades that's not working flatrate on cars again, welders make good money, as do plumbers /electricians etc. Welders generally don't have to dig in poo poo caked pipes / water etc though.

HVAC. Controls side. If he can wire an ECU, then he can do HVAC controls. Super bonus is you're there after the building is already built. No BS of sitting around in the sun and rain trying to get equipment installed.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Fleet mechanics are treated worse than the drivers. "Book time" isn't even a thing. "We need this truck back up and running tomorrow morning at 5AM absolutely no questions no complaints, we don't even care that it showed up literally on fire."

I know a guy that works fleet maintenance on concrete trucks. His day starts Monday at 0415 and ends Saturday around midnight. He grabs snacks and sleep as he can. 100 hours on the clock is a light week. He's also over 60 now, and has been doing this since the 70s. His health and mental state is best described as "not great."

HVAC. Controls side. If he can wire an ECU, then he can do HVAC controls. Super bonus is you're there after the building is already built. No BS of sitting around in the sun and rain trying to get equipment installed.

That ECU is not working right.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Actually the ECU was mostly working fine. It was mostly coming from the starter acting up. I mean, pulled the whole thing apart and like 95% of the wiring was fine

And HVAC work is a fine field. The big money is in refrigeration though, doing controls, services, etc. Though the schedule that these places have, especially the on call part might not jell with the lifestyle Dave is used to.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Lol that's his own fault if he tolerated it for that long. I don't get people that work themselves to death.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Find a courier job, I had one that was a set route every day 8 hrs and home. Man, it was a hoot trying to get onto an army base right after 9/11 and explaining to the guy in command of a humvee with a .50 cal on top of it that your van was full of narcotics and human body parts, but if you did not get on to the base the bank on post would not have enough money to pay them all. Good times.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Or hell, glorified pizza guy. I'm averaging ~$22/hr most weeks with one of the big food delivery companies (I've hit $35/hr some days), though admittedly I'm one of the more trusted drivers in DFW (this straight from my regular dispatcher). I'm pretty comfortable working ~30 hours a week. If you don't mind working both lunch and dinner you can break $1000/week pretty easy (friend of mine is doing $1200+ a week, his record last year was $2200 in a week; he also does a lot of office catering, which I'm signed up for, but I don't wake up early enough for lunches).

Just checked, they definitely operate in the Denver area. It's 1099, but so long as the IRS keeps the mileage deduction going, it's worthwhile.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Applesnots posted:

Find a courier job
I have a platinum poker chip I really need to get to Vegas, first guy turned me down, interested?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

InitialDave posted:

I have a platinum poker chip I really need to get to Vegas, first guy turned me down, interested?

Do you really think a bullet to the skull and a shallow grave will slow Dave down?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Welding would probably b e good trade as mentioned. Once you get some experience you can buy a truck, a welder and go mobile. Those guys make more than shop welders. Just remember, the customer is responsible for fit up, cutting etc. Your job is to make steel melt.

Aslo: Welders don't retire, they die.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Do not get a job as a courier or truck driver.

Like just for example I'm a pretty stable guy with no depressive issues and decent mental resilience (at least I think so). I was a courier for about a year in my own light truck, and I was nearly a broken human being by the end.

You share the road with everyone, and the road is your office, people treat your workplace with zero respect. People treat you with zero respect. For real, I was delivering oilfield components worth five, six figures sometimes, and I'd show up to the dock or office and treated like human garbage.

I'd sign off for the day run completely ragged, and my phone would beep with just one more run. More than once I threw that loving thing into the footwell and nearly cried I was so depressed. I think I gained about forty pounds. I didn't make any money at all after expenses, and I was still living with my parents at the time.

I don't expect royal treatment everywhere I go, I just want to be seen as a fellow human being. Couriers don't get that.

Don't loving do it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's weird imagining that Canadians could ever be impolite to someone.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Dave: more unsolicited advice! I'm recommending you first figure out your life strategy and goals outside of jobs/careers unless we're simply working by process of elimination re: "what's absolutely terrible" versus aiming for "what would I ideally enjoy and succeed at" which is a totally different approach to this question.

In order to get to "I can do this job and do it well" I think figuring out what you need in your head and what you need around you to make sure you can wake up and be somewhere on time reliably is going to take a lot of mental and situational legwork first, all of which will continue to build toward any positive outcome no matter what you end up doing for a job or career. $0.02.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

It's weird imagining that Canadians could ever be impolite to someone.

Slung and I live in the area of most American immigrants per capita. They sit in their little shanty-towns, polishing guns and Confederate-flag bumper stickers, and take our jobs.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Slung and I live in the area of most American immigrants per capita. They sit in their little shanty-towns, polishing guns and Confederate-flag bumper stickers, and take our jobs.

We need to get Turdeau to build a wall......

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

On the other hand, trucking companies with their own fleets need fleet mechanics, and that seems like maybe a way better gig than working for book time

Can confirm.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Liquid Communism posted:

Do you really think a bullet to the skull and a shallow grave will slow Dave down?
Well, maybe a little bit, yeah.

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic

Tremek posted:

Dave: more unsolicited advice! I'm recommending you first figure out your life strategy and goals outside of jobs/careers unless we're simply working by process of elimination re: "what's absolutely terrible" versus aiming for "what would I ideally enjoy and succeed at" which is a totally different approach to this question.

In order to get to "I can do this job and do it well" I think figuring out what you need in your head and what you need around you to make sure you can wake up and be somewhere on time reliably is going to take a lot of mental and situational legwork first, all of which will continue to build toward any positive outcome no matter what you end up doing for a job or career. $0.02.

Listen to this mature, reasonable adult that knows you irl rather than this peanut gallery of cyberghosts. Or huff some panther piss, forge a CDL, and start your new life as an urban legend amongst hitchhikers. World's your oyster!

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

420 SWAGLORD posted:

Listen to this mature, reasonable adult

Let's not say things we can't take back

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic

Tremek posted:

Let's not say things we can't take back

You have a beautiful home and your children are adorable

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dave's probably teaching your kids to be his personal army of miscreants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well, realistically many of the jobs I've found appealing are fairly isolationist. The driving, 3rd shift work, bar work, etc. I already have been reaching the point where Im forcing myself to take days off drinking because its becoming a habit again, so bar work should probably be excluded. I've been getting a regular 8 hours of sleep, but its like going to bed at 4am and waking up at noon. My searching for career type stuff is because I would go insane doing retail, sales, or office work within weeks, and I just cant expect to live with my hand out for the rest of my life so I'm trying to find something that could actually pay me "enough" to cover essentials

• Locked thread