Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I lost my Four Kings Dark Souls save file when the game switched to Steamworks, and I did try to restart but I stopped once I realised that I'd have to go through Sen's Fortress again. I'd rather eat my computer than play through Sen's Fortress again. All those jumps are absolute loving awful poo poo, and fondling my balls with a claw hammer is a more enjoyable activity than that shithole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
There's no mandatory jumps in Sen's Fortress.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Yeah Sen's is a clownshow once you get the parry timing down for the melee snakeybois. And for everything else there's scampering forward like a skittish young faun.

Also parrying that one snoozy snake straight through the loving wall is awesome.

gently caress the elevator with the nails on top, though.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

If you just memorize enemy placement and attack timing for every section and enemy of the game you can get through no problem. Jesus people it isn't that hard.

**also attacking enemies through walls because if you don't know they're there what's your loving problem get the gently caress outta here

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
cant memorize giantdad's giant sword splitting your chest in half

wait, you definitely can

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Somfin posted:

Also parrying that one snoozy snake straight through the loving wall is awesome.

Isn't the strat to get hit through the wall? I haven't seen/done it in ages.

Also yeah sens looks real bad but mostly you charge through it. If you start running straight from the parish bonfire you can one cycle the initial blades. Like most of the game it's quick and easy once you stop caring about trash mobs and know the level.

Gitro has a new favorite as of 08:23 on Feb 26, 2018

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

im pooping! posted:

If you just memorize enemy placement and attack timing for every section and enemy of the game you can get through no problem. Jesus people it isn't that hard.

**also attacking enemies through walls because if you don't know they're there what's your loving problem get the gently caress outta here
The latter is not what he meant. The snake is snoozing in plain sight leaning against a wall, and if you parry and riposte it, you'll find out the wall behind it is breakable. He can also break the wall himself (that's how I found it out back then), or you can redirect a stone trap to break it for you (and smush the snake). Breaking the wall is entirely optional. Don't make his "UGH SOULS FANS AMIRITE" post out as something worse than it is.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I had an infinitely harder time in the Undead Burg than in Sen's Fortress. Seriously, I must've died like 30+ times figuring out both how to get to the Taurus Demon and beating him. I must've died maybe 5 times in Sen's Fortress. By the time you get to that point you should already have learned how to fight well and watch out for traps. I got ganked a couple times from fighting stupidly but nothing too major

Gitro
May 29, 2013
If you second guess yourself as you're heading across the pendulum bridges, mistime it or fall prey to the lightning gotchas or the arrow trap gotchas or what's probably the first mimic you'll encounter it's easy to almost instantly die.

Like a bunch of obstacles in the game it's more intimidating than actually difficult. I hated it the first time through, never wanted to do it again and now it's just kind of tedious, although the last tiny bridge with the blades always gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Like seriously the traps you're watching out for are timing puzzles, which you can pretty easily gently caress up a bunch if you're not good at timing puzzles (especially when the games starts throwing ranged attacks at you at the same time) and pressure plates which barely exist, if at all, outside of sen's. If you die before reaching the top you do the entire thing over. It's not hard to see why people would dislike it or struggle with it. If I didn't know you could just block the arrows in that one corridor before going I'd have had a way worse time.

Gitro has a new favorite as of 12:09 on Feb 26, 2018

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Olive! posted:

There's no mandatory jumps in Sen's Fortress.

I think I was misremembering the pendulums as jumps, because I do remember getting absolutely destroyed constantly by the pendulums on the narrow walkways with enemies throwing poo poo at me. I thought there was a section where players had to jump across gaps with pendulums, but either way, I still have no interest in trying that shitshow again.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Inco posted:

I think I was misremembering the pendulums as jumps, because I do remember getting absolutely destroyed constantly by the pendulums on the narrow walkways with enemies throwing poo poo at me. I thought there was a section where players had to jump across gaps with pendulums, but either way, I still have no interest in trying that shitshow again.
Sen's isn't that hard. I don't say this in a "git gud" way, I really think that if you revisit the game you'll be surprised by how much easier it is than you think.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
I remember my first run through Sen's. Good times.

Basically died in every new room I entered, but only once so steady progress was still made. Every other play through was a piece a cake more or less because it's all pretty static. Once you figure out how to get through the traps and obstacles, the experience essentially stays the same unless you gently caress up against the enemies.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The titanite demons still gently caress me up tbh

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I am slogging my way through Farron's Keep in DS3 and it's.....surprisingly not as bad as I was expecting when I first showed up and wandered into the sticky poison mud poo poo. The level is laid out in a pretty clever way, and I liked that once you find Farron's Wolf you can look out and see any fires you're still missing.

The one thing that sucks about it is the Big Gross Magic Tree Club Guys. The swamp is just about the worst possible place to fight them, and slows you down enough that running is iffy at best, so I keep cheesing them with arrows or level geometry or whatever I can use. It went fine until I was finally at the base of what I am pretty sure is the path to the final fire, and one comes out of absolutely nowhere to one-shot me. The area is already frustrating and tense, you don't need a bunch of guys the size of houses that can fart homing missile skulls at you, come on.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

food court bailiff posted:

The one thing that sucks about it is the Big Gross Magic Tree Club Guys. The swamp is just about the worst possible place to fight them, and slows you down enough that running is iffy at best, so I keep cheesing them with arrows or level geometry or whatever I can use. It went fine until I was finally at the base of what I am pretty sure is the path to the final fire, and one comes out of absolutely nowhere to one-shot me. The area is already frustrating and tense, you don't need a bunch of guys the size of houses that can fart homing missile skulls at you, come on.

I know the one you're talking about. It's the only one that free-wanders around a route. You're pretty close to the answer though. If you're melee, you need to drag them to solid ground, and stay in their crotch and roll as needed. Ranged is hosed and you need to just do what you've already been doing.

Overall, those guys deal way too much damage.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Overall, those guys deal way too much damage.

Seriously. I can face tank a hit from the Stray Demon on top of the bridge with enough left that a single Estus+1 will get me back to full, but one of the tree jerks hits me with their smash and it's over.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sen’s gets a lot less intimidating on a second run because the environment is the hardest part, unless you go down to the bottom and try to kill the titanite demons in the tar who don’t actually drop anything unique. The rest of the enemies aren’t actually that hard so once you know your way around the traps it’s more of a funhouse than anything else

I can totally understand anyone hating it who didn’t find the second bonfire or the shortcut though, that would be miserable

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Due to the nature of Shadow of War this MIGHT be bad RNG on my part, but...

I've got to level 45 and now all of the Orc who are popping up are so samey it's kind of boring. None of them have unique weaknesses, they're all Iron Willed and at worst some of them have annoying combos of strengths like vault-breaker and frost resistant (but that was in the first game and a bit of creativity makes them not TOO bad.)

On the up-side I've only seen about 3 repeat orc types. It's just real dull trying to play Orc Pokemon and having the pit-fights throwing level 50 orcs at me when I have to shame them all down to level 30 to get rid of iron will.

Again, possibly lovely rng. But enough to make me think about throwing on another game when I consider playing some xbox.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Digirat posted:

Sen’s gets a lot less intimidating on a second run because the environment is the hardest part, unless you go down to the bottom and try to kill the titanite demons in the tar who don’t actually drop anything unique. The rest of the enemies aren’t actually that hard so once you know your way around the traps it’s more of a funhouse than anything else

I can totally understand anyone hating it who didn’t find the second bonfire or the shortcut though, that would be miserable

Well put, it's a funhouse and it's really interesting the way it's designed. I would like Dark Souls more if there were more levels like Sen's Fortress. Once you figure it out it's fun to do speed runs because it's really clockwork like. The Grand Archives in DS3 were interesting this way and my favorite from that game too.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The only Dark Souls game I've played is Scholar of the First Sin, and apparently everything I hate about it wasn't in the original DS2 :shepface:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Drunken Baker posted:

I've got to level 45 and now all of the Orc who are popping up are so samey it's kind of boring.

I've heard that as a common complaint because of the loot-box orcs. It made it a lot harder to have uniqueness like the original.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I tried the multiplayer for Titanfall 2 and we had a guy yelling at the other team to go play Call of Duty the reasons he gave were:

Camping
Running away
Using stealth
Being a little bitch

Apparently in Titanfall you don't do those things?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Len posted:

Being a little bitch

I do this in every videogame

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Started Yakuza 4 after finishing Yakuza 5. Is it going to be a big problem that 4 is set in the same old Kamurocho map (Which has been in every single game) when 5 had Kamurocho, Sotenbori, and three new cities?

Also, Mankind Divided is rightly poo poo on for it's publisher-meddling, but what bothers me is that I can't dismantle any equipment when playing with an Xbone controller, only with a mouse. There's no button-prompt or anything.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 21:08 on Feb 26, 2018

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Vic posted:

Well put, it's a funhouse and it's really interesting the way it's designed. I would like Dark Souls more if there were more levels like Sen's Fortress. Once you figure it out it's fun to do speed runs because it's really clockwork like. The Grand Archives in DS3 were interesting this way and my favorite from that game too.

My favourite thing about Sen's Fortress is that the traps work on enemies, so once you've worked out how they're triggered and what they do, they change from hazards to tools.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Started Yakuza 4 after finishing Yakuza 5. Is it going to be a big problem that 4 is set in the same old Kamurocho map (Which has been in every single game) when 5 had Kamurocho, Sotenbori, and three new cities?

No. The Kamurocho map in 4 compared to 5 is way more detailed and dense with shops and activities.

5 had so much content that they practically had to spread it somewhat thinner than in previous ones.

Each and every Yakuza game owns. I just wish the combat system was a bit deeper.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Is it supposed to be canon that the Yakuza's heroes don't murder, when Akiyama just tossed a guy off a rooftop?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Is it supposed to be canon that the Yakuza's heroes don't murder, when Akiyama just tossed a guy off a rooftop?

It's the Sleeping Dogs definition of dying. The only thing which can kill people is bullets.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It's the Sleeping Dogs definition of dying. The only thing which can kill people is bullets.

Never mind when I throw someone into the ocean and they don't come back up, or the dudes who had their heads shoved into whirling fanblades, or the guy who had a cleaver thrown into his face, or...

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Leavemywife posted:

Never mind when I throw someone into the ocean and they don't come back up, or the dudes who had their heads shoved into whirling fanblades, or the guy who had a cleaver thrown into his face, or...

Or

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Also ice chippers. :gonk:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Drunken Baker posted:

I've got to level 45 and now all of the Orc who are popping up are so samey it's kind of boring. None of them have unique weaknesses, they're all Iron Willed and at worst some of them have annoying combos of strengths like vault-breaker and frost resistant (but that was in the first game and a bit of creativity makes them not TOO bad.)

On the up-side I've only seen about 3 repeat orc types. It's just real dull trying to play Orc Pokemon and having the pit-fights throwing level 50 orcs at me when I have to shame them all down to level 30 to get rid of iron will.

Again, possibly lovely rng. But enough to make me think about throwing on another game when I consider playing some xbox.

The thing that bothered me most about this game is that it's still too drat easy. I played it on whatever the hard difficulty was called, and aside from an early fight in an arena and occasionally a castle boss the fights were all pretty trivial. I think the problem is that a) you can almost effortlessly disengage from combat at any time and b) stealth is extremely easy and extremely effective. Notice that the only areas where I felt twinges of difficulty were the ones where you can't run away. Of course for those occasions you eventually unlock an ability to summon a ridable troll anywhere, any time, which pretty much an I win button against enemies that don't have the beast slayer trait.

Also yeah, the orc variety somehow felt smaller than the previous game.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Yeah, he's totes fine. Or the guys whose heads get slammed through the fish tank.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Except for the time in Yakuza 0 where Kiryu shoots dozens of people. In that section nothing can kill people.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've just cleared the first level in Yooka Laylee, Pagies, Pirate Treasure and upgrades. It was largely fun to do, but the pagies for getting all the Quills and Ghostwriters have no fanfare and it can be hard to even tell you got anything for them, and there is no message for clearing a level. It feels like the game doesn't care that Tribalstack Tropics has been scoured of all the goodies including the pirate treasure. You'd think that a collectathon would give a poo poo that I collected the things. I don't know, maybe have the Grand Tome turn gold or something, some visual hint that the level is clear.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

BioEnchanted posted:

I've just cleared the first level in Yooka Laylee, Pagies, Pirate Treasure and upgrades. It was largely fun to do, but the pagies for getting all the Quills and Ghostwriters have no fanfare and it can be hard to even tell you got anything for them, and there is no message for clearing a level. It feels like the game doesn't care that Tribalstack Tropics has been scoured of all the goodies including the pirate treasure. You'd think that a collectathon would give a poo poo that I collected the things. I don't know, maybe have the Grand Tome turn gold or something, some visual hint that the level is clear.

I've heard it said the Yooka Laylee developers didn't actually "get" collectathons, and what made them good or bad. And also made terrible controls. Sounds like it was half-right. Care to comment on the controls? I'm still considering getting it on sale :/

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I've heard it said the Yooka Laylee developers didn't actually "get" collectathons, and what made them good or bad. And also made terrible controls. Sounds like it was half-right. Care to comment on the controls? I'm still considering getting it on sale :/

The controls are really good except for a camera which is maybe from 2004 or something.

The only part of the game with truly terrible controls are when you transform into things but it's very clear that the difficulty in controlling those is intended to be part of the challenge and you have to line up your jumps very carefully. I got mad at the controls until I realized that and then I just took my time and it was much easier, the stand out example is just one transformation in particular. The regular platforming controls are buttery smooth and I love em.

I thought Yooka Laylee was a faithful adaption to the old collectathons and if you enjoyed those you'll enjoy it. That said it didn't iterate on the design as much as it could have, it just more or less copied it and covered it with a warm layer of charm. People who rag on it probably have the nostalgia glasses on too heavy and remember banjo kazooie more fondly than they would if they had played it today.

Game good, but maybe not as good as it could have been, still good tho.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The controls are fine, the characters aren't very likable overall and as PlayablePassion/GamesareSuperNice pointed out in his video the story makes no sense as the player knows that Capital Bee wants the pages of the One Book, so collecting them together is a bad idea, and the pagies unlocking the grand tomes makes no sense because the pagies aren't part of the grand tomes. However the gameplay is fairly fun so far, with the exception that the noises that Yooka's feet make on ice are really annoying. *SQUEAK**SQUEAK**SQUEAK**SQUEAK**SQUEAK**SQUEAK**SQUEAK**SQUEAK**SQUEAK**SQUEAK**SQUEAK**SQUEAK**SQUEAK**SQUEAK**SQUEAK**SQUEAK*

Chibi Robo perfected the footfall noises and other games need to steal it's style more.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
There's this minecart challenge that sucks and I decided to take a break from the game when I had to do it a second time and this time you actually need to be good at it.

But it's generally pretty alright and similar to what I saw in LPs of older collectathons (it was my first I played myself). I'll prolly get back to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Alpine level needed more character and the game was over a bit too soon, but A Hat In Time was a great platformer since it didn't adhere to Collect-athon conventions and you only collect 40 doo-dads. I'm not touching Mario Odyssey if completing it means watching a "You got a Moon" cutscene 800 times.