Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

this is false because otherwise there'd be gay turians

There are gay Turians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

SgtSteel91 posted:

There are gay Turians

where are they. where are they. where are they.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

where are they. where are they. where are they.

Vetra is Bi and can be in a relationship with f!Ryder

But you also meet a former Turian Specter who is in a gay relationship with the Turian Pathfinder

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ryher

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SgtSteel91 posted:

Vetra is Bi and can be in a relationship with f!Ryder

But you also meet a former Turian Specter who is in a gay relationship with the Turian Pathfinder

And back in ME2, Aria's turian right hand man is in a gay relationship with a human dude, you can find out in the Shadow Broker DLC. Likewise that everyone's favorite reporter Kalisah al-Jilani is in a relationship with an asari.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Boy Ryder doesn't get any interesting partners. Smh.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Boy Ryder doesn't get any interesting partners. Smh.

They made Jaal Bi in a patch, so that may interest you

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Girl Ryder doesn't get any interesting partners, either. Her exclusives are Liam (who's bad) and Suvi, whose romance to me felt very abbreviated and painfully gender-neutral. I like Suvi, but her romance seemed significantly shorter than the romance I did my second game, it never mentions Ryder's gender, and there's not so much as an admission of love (or a sex scene for those into that). Her romance - especially as a lesbian romance - felt shoehorned in at the last minute, but what doesn't in this game besides Cora's naked rear end?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i mean if people are playing these games as a wish fulfillment dating sim they really should have literally had tumblr write it

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Girl Ryder doesn't get any interesting partners, either. Her exclusives are Liam (who's bad) and Suvi, whose romance to me felt very abbreviated and painfully gender-neutral. I like Suvi, but her romance seemed significantly shorter than the romance I did my second game, it never mentions Ryder's gender, and there's not so much as an admission of love (or a sex scene for those into that). Her romance - especially as a lesbian romance - felt shoehorned in at the last minute, but what doesn't in this game besides Cora's naked rear end?

Suvi is a lesbian, but may have been written bi and then changed when those rascally SJWs got mad there weren't enough lesbians for the hell of it???

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Also the asari reporter romance was so bad they didn't even create a cutscene for it. Not sure if it's the same for the angara archaeology lady, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

you write about all these character's and i'm like "did we play the same game?", I don't remember any of them

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i mean if people are playing these games as a wish fulfillment dating sim they really should have literally had tumblr write it

To be honest if I had like 3 million to waste I would totally do something stupid like that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

im cute posted:

Suvi is a lesbian, but may have been written bi and then changed when those rascally SJWs got mad there weren't enough lesbians for the hell of it???

I'm guessing she was originally written to be bi, yeah. Gay engineer dude talks about Ryder as a guy and confirms that he's gay (who nevertheless winds up living with a woman and having a child with her if you don't romance him, but I digress). Suvi never once mentions Ryder's gender or her orientation.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

im cute posted:

Also the asari reporter romance was so bad they didn't even create a cutscene for it. Not sure if it's the same for the angara archaeology lady, but I wouldn't be surprised.

and she has the same face as every other non-PeeBee asari in the game

which is still unbelievable

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
A few hours in and I'm already starting to see how all the minor tasks and poo poo will get annoying as gently caress. While blasting through the map in the space jeep all of a sudden a party member will trigger a reaction to something on the ground but by the time I stop the trigger is impossible to find unless it shows up marked.

I'm getting a strong vibe that for my own sanity I should play the main story missions to clean up a planet before any exploring. All the hazards and long stretches of nothingness are not fun to hop out and try to scan for 6 different pieces of a puzzle. The forward stations are nice that you can just zoom by and trigger them to drop but they are still a lot further spaced out then I expected.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I don’t remember what reward you get for doing any of the tasks but whatever it is it’s definitely not worth it

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
holy poo poo is it not worth it

remember, this game will never have a sequel or any DLC and doesn't change significantly based on any decision you make in the slighest

don't do a single task

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Nichael posted:

This isn't the Dragon Age thread but I thought Inquisition had a strong cast. It was also a comparatively huge cast of about thirteen main characters.

Andromeda's squad has its moments, but Liam and Cora are really boring.

this. even the characters i hated in Inquisition like Vivienne and sera were at least interesting sorta. in andromada everyone with either a composite character or a reskinned genderswap character.

Arglebargle III posted:

None of the plot is good. The combat is pretty good.

None of the quests are good.

The environment art is stunning in places. R I P hope those artists get better careers elsewhere.

the combats ok/passible. the mechanics are there to be great(mix and match classes and jumping about with fast pace) but all the encounters outside some main quests and few side quests are boring and generic against the same 7 types of dickheads.

the issue is they should have honest to god went for a more star trek(og or nextgen) type tone. your explores and you visit different worlds and solve problems and gently caress aliens and have some gun fights some times but more hopeful and upbeat then the previous ones. ryder is an inexperienced captain and they have to learn as they go along and their actions reflect how the not federation is treated. like nu trek type poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pattonesque posted:

holy poo poo is it not worth it

remember, this game will never have a sequel or any DLC and doesn't change significantly based on any decision you make in the slighest

don't do a single task

so i assume the series is dead now. i assume its either gonna be a reboot or some direct sequel to 3 that takes place like 200 years after.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so i assume the series is dead now. i assume its either gonna be a reboot or some direct sequel to 3 that takes place like 200 years after.

my best guess is some kind of reboot but it won't be until like, 2023ish

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the issue is they should have honest to god went for a more star trek(og or nextgen) type tone. your explores and you visit different worlds and solve problems and gently caress aliens and have some gun fights some times but more hopeful and upbeat then the previous ones. ryder is an inexperienced captain and they have to learn as they go along and their actions reflect how the not federation is treated. like nu trek type poo poo.

This is what I was hoping for when I paid full price for it. Also I like scanning planets

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Oh you mean like ME1 which they went away from immediately after the EA acquisition in favor of simple shootmans in ME2 (which was a good game but a bad direction for the franchise) and ME3 (coD crap)???

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Oh you mean like ME1 which they went away from immediately after the EA acquisition in favor of simple shootmans in ME2 (which was a good game but a bad direction for the franchise) and ME3 (coD crap)???

How's it feel to have the worst opinion on the worst thread in the games forum

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Ainsley McTree posted:

How's it feel to have the worst opinion on the worst thread in the games forum

I don't know

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this. even the characters i hated in Inquisition like Vivienne and sera were at least interesting sorta. in andromada everyone with either a composite character or a reskinned genderswap character.

the combats ok/passible. the mechanics are there to be great(mix and match classes and jumping about with fast pace) but all the encounters outside some main quests and few side quests are boring and generic against the same 7 types of dickheads.

I'd say the mix and match classes are also a bad idea. Or at least, an idea only to be tried with more consideration and balancing than it got.

It makes it much harder to figure out every interaction, reduces replay options, and the way it works means you don't get to do as much in a given combat encounter. Just a bad idea.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Yeah Mass Effect 1, the contemplative, Star Trek-like game which is mostly spent shooting things with guns, or shooting things in a tank

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
as far as I can tell the only reason Mass Effect 1 is "star trek like" and Mass Effect 2 is "dumb action game" is that the combat in 1 is very bad and the combat in 2 is good

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The whole Mass Effect series is very Trek-inspired, but the more direct analogue is Babylon 5.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

exquisite tea posted:

The whole Mass Effect series is very Trek-inspired, but the more direct analogue is Babylon 5.

It's a total mish-mash. Parts of ME1 want to be Star Trek, the space battles want to be a mix of Star Wars and the BSG reboot, Noveria turns into Aliens, and it goes on. Also most of the game is about shooting things with guns or tank cannons.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Now I really want a game where you properly Star Trek about. Charting uncharted space places, making contact with other civilizations, brokering treaties, resolving conflicts. Maybe throw in an underlying threat that you need to unify against for space combat and/or shootmans.

Someone give me lots of money.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

DROX Operative is kind of like that, you play Diablo in space while all the AI civilizations play a 4x game around you and you can influence the balance of power in the galaxy.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I mean I want a game that is chill and mostly exploration and diplomacy where you don't do a lot of pew pew. You know, like Star Trek

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I would recommend Star Trek online but that’s mostly combat, somehow

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Feels Villeneuve posted:

as far as I can tell the only reason Mass Effect 1 is "star trek like" and Mass Effect 2 is "dumb action game" is that the combat in 1 is very bad and the combat in 2 is good

In ME1 you're the outsider new guy from the new race trying to comply with rules and regs and procedure that are ancient and foreign, all while there's a tone of unfamiliarity and discovery.

In ME2 on everything is extremely human-centric and you're basically a reborn uber-mann.

There's a massive tonal shift in the series.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

in me1 half the plot revolved around you being the first human super jedi and making decisions on behalf of all the alien races as a human

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I don't even want online, I just want to chill out and make peace treaties between two gleep glops. Also maybe some Nemesis System stuff so it's different after I get tooled by the not-Borg and lose.

A man can dream about a good Orville tie-in game :allears:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the other half of the plot revolved around you going to the same copy pasted building and having people scream "i will destroy you" repeatedly

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 28, 2018

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
I'd like to travel to bizarre worlds and discover weird mysteries with my squad of alien bros and then go to massive alien space stations/cities and intrigue with my squad of alien bros and occasionally shoot some bad guys and then go back to my sweet customizable ship and ask my cool alien bros how they all felt about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cowcaster posted:

in me1 half the plot revolved around you being the first human super jedi and making decisions on behalf of all the alien races as a human

Some of it is just exploring new places and meeting new aliens, like the first time visiting the Citadel and meeting the diplomats for various species. Or learning that Turians like human idioms.

I'm kinda sad they dropped that dumb little trait from the later games.