Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Not sure if intended as joke or not, but nonetheless hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh boy, looks like hunt down freeman finally actually released. Yay. :effort:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
WHERE IS DA FREE MAHN?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mordja posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VR77mEK8AEE

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Mordja posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCeZpeEON5U

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I have actually watched a stream of this mod yesterday and it stole a lot of assets, I'm not certain if the music was stolen or did the streamer troll us, but graphically I've seen guns from a lot of games and other mods, like the Double Barrel and Magnum Revolver from KF2. Every weapon has iron sights, even those from HL2, like the Combine Rifle. There is a SHITTON of enemies everywhere, it's stupidly hard and overstretched to the max. It's really bad. It also crashes constantly, graph node is still out of date and you can get stuck very easily.

The release version was only 25gb tho, cause it got shipped without cutscenes, which bump up the total to 60gb.

Kikas fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 24, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Reminder that Valve doesn't give a gently caress what cones out on steam until enough people complain.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Mordja posted:

I've seen reports of 32k textures. For keypads.

That's not a typo.

The game is also reportedly drawing the entire asset pools of several of the games it's stealing from/modding. Like, the entirety of L4D2's assets are in there, in, I don't know the format at all, I think my source said they were vpks. l4d, every source half life, counterstrike...
by all accounts this is the product of a diseased mind.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 24, 2018

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
32k textures lmfao

Nexus eat your heart out.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Kavak posted:

When The World Stopped Making Sense, a mod that extends the timeline back to the fall of Rome.

Didn't that mod have like 100 extra provinces in the northern Sahara for some reason at one point?

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress is this and why is it so wonderfully bad

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Grizzwold posted:

Didn't that mod have like 100 extra provinces in the northern Sahara for some reason at one point?

Yeah, that was them.

Discendo Vox posted:

by all accounts this is the product of a diseased mind.

Do you mean the poo poo quality and the rampant plagiarism or do things get even more interesting?

EDIT: Here's the modder's explanation for the Sahara provinces.

Kavak fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 24, 2018

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Kavak posted:

Do you mean the poo poo quality and the rampant plagiarism or do things get even more interesting?

Trying to track down the root discussion, since I'm not touching the poop. It looks to be a Wiseau situation, a walking Dunning-Kreuger getting other people to waste time and talent on a horrible piece of fanfiction. I'm taking notes for my payday 2 modding project.

Some general laughter material:
https://www.twitch.tv/macd11/clips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEWiJHM01Tk

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 24, 2018

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

This one is my favourite https://clips.twitch.tv/PoisedViscousSrirachaNotATK

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Synthbuttrange posted:

There's one that gives Alyx a cloaca

First result for "Alyx cloaca" is a picture of her being jizzed on by a dinosaur. God bless modders

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

Kavak posted:

EDIT: Here's the modder's explanation for the Sahara provinces.

...I did some quick googling and couldn't find anything like what they describe, especially not "hundreds of fortified, self sufficient cities"

Have they just invented history?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Not the Messiah posted:

...I did some quick googling and couldn't find anything like what they describe, especially not "hundreds of fortified, self sufficient cities"

I'm terrible about history myself, but looking at the wiki article on the Garamantes suggests that they are wildly inflating the city and population counts of the kingdom, possibly to make them a more competitive regional power (ie, they're a pet favorite kingdom of the author). It is sometimes a weakness of Crusader Kings that it can't always model all the wonderfully weird interstitial kingdoms and short-lived regional mega-powers of history, but this does seem an especially funny reaction to that problem.

There is also the possibility that the fact that it is a North African kingdom may play some role. There is, apparently, an unfortunate tendency among a tiny slice of the archaeological fringe that over-inflates the importance of North African kingdoms in history as a well-meaning but wildly misguided reaction to the fact that most fringe archaeology quacks are constantly trying to suggest that somehow vikings created everything of note in the world and that no culture developed writing or agriculture without being 'tamed' by white northern europeans. Given that it looks like there's not a whole hell of a lot of well-documented excavation sites, and that Africa in general is woefully underrepresented in historical study, it's possible some fringe group latched onto the Garamantes and the author got their information from there?

At any rate, the broad strokes of who the Garamantes were and how they were organized SEEMS to be there, they did have fairly independent walled communities that were very prosperous due in part to their ability to locate underground water sources.

Disclaimer: this is all just me browsing over pages in documents pulled up on google, I generally can't be trusted to know jack about poo poo, myself.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Not the Messiah posted:

Northern Africa is one of the most extreme cases of rapid climate change that I'm aware of. IIRC when the Romans conquered North Africa it was still one of the biggest agricultural centers in the world, but was experiencing the onset of extreme desertification that has continued to this day. At one point, however, the region was filled with lakes and ideal for agriculture, and likely housed a pretty sizable population.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I'm terrible about history myself, but looking at the wiki article on the Garamantes suggests that they are wildly inflating the city and population counts of the kingdom, possibly to make them a more competitive regional power (ie, they're a pet favorite kingdom of the author). It is sometimes a weakness of Crusader Kings that it can't always model all the wonderfully weird interstitial kingdoms and short-lived regional mega-powers of history, but this does seem an especially funny reaction to that problem.

There is also the possibility that the fact that it is a North African kingdom may play some role. There is, apparently, an unfortunate tendency among a tiny slice of the archaeological fringe that over-inflates the importance of North African kingdoms in history as a well-meaning but wildly misguided reaction to the fact that most fringe archaeology quacks are constantly trying to suggest that somehow vikings created everything of note in the world and that no culture developed writing or agriculture without being 'tamed' by white northern europeans. Given that it looks like there's not a whole hell of a lot of well-documented excavation sites, and that Africa in general is woefully underrepresented in historical study, it's possible some fringe group latched onto the Garamantes and the author got their information from there?

At any rate, the broad strokes of who the Garamantes were and how they were organized SEEMS to be there, they did have fairly independent walled communities that were very prosperous due in part to their ability to locate underground water sources.

Disclaimer: this is all just me browsing over pages in documents pulled up on google, I generally can't be trusted to know jack about poo poo, myself.

There's a decent amount of historical information available about Africa, it's just not widely available in English. The other issue with collecting archeological evidence in North Africa versus somewhere like Scandinavia is entirely due to climate conditions and local architecture. It's a lot harder to find records of wooden structures in a region that has turned into a desert than it is to find them in somewhere frozen. A similar problem exists in the Americas, where evidence suggests that cities housing millions once existed, but little trace of them remains.

e: Actually figuring out things like population from historical records is also pretty tricky and almost completely unreliable. The conquests of the Mongols is a good example of this - the official count for people killed in their wars is something like 3-40,000,000. Historical sources used for this casualty count are extremely unreliable, however, and sometimes describe far more people having been killed in cities than what archeological evidence suggests could have ever hoped to live in such a place. It also coincides with hundreds of millions of people dying from the Black Death and other diseases, which likely had their spread hastened by the conquests. Accurately distinguishing between deaths caused by warfare and deaths caused by disease isn't really possible when examining a series of wars that spanned around a hundred years.

With that in mind, getting accurate population projections of North African and Saharan populations around 500 AD doesn't seem like anything realistically achievable for the average CK2 modder. The region began experiencing the onset of extreme desertification about 2000 BCE and it has continued to this day - so even at the time the Romans wrote about its nations they were already likely in decline. The closest example of Saharan/West African communities to what the mod author describes may be the Soninke, who settled parts of the Sahara in modern Mauritania prior to 700 CE. They did build cities out of stone, fortified them with walls, and had hundreds of communities spread throughout a region that is largely now desert. For the sake of making a mod for CK2 I don't really see much of an issue with portraying neighboring regions similarly, although adding dozens of provinces to represent that seems kind of odd.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 25, 2018

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I forgot about the desertification thing, and that's some very helpful contextual information, thank you.

And, yeah. The provinces thing is what makes me think that it's just a personal favorite of theirs, otherwise it doesn't make sense to give them what should amount to a long-term mechanical advantage over everyone else. I guess it actually wouldn't even be THAT weird if it's supposed to be some kind of alternate timeline where the desertification process stopped early or reversed somehow, maybe? If the information I skimmed was accurate, it suggested that even in 500 AD the region was a respected political power. Reversing desertification would be far from the most unscientific or unlikely scenario even compared to the base game, much less the shenanigans in the DLC.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I forgot about the desertification thing, and that's some very helpful contextual information, thank you.

And, yeah. The provinces thing is what makes me think that it's just a personal favorite of theirs, otherwise it doesn't make sense to give them what should amount to a long-term mechanical advantage over everyone else. I guess it actually wouldn't even be THAT weird if it's supposed to be some kind of alternate timeline where the desertification process stopped early or reversed somehow, maybe? If the information I skimmed was accurate, it suggested that even in 500 AD the region was a respected political power. Reversing desertification would be far from the most unscientific or unlikely scenario even compared to the base game, much less the shenanigans in the DLC.

It's still strange to give them that many provinces in a historical title with the rationale being that they had a combined population of 80,000 in eight cities spread out over an area of 180,000 miles, because even if you interpret that as meaning that they had eight cities with 80,000 inhabitants each, that's 640,000 and still only a little larger than what Constantinople's population alone was projected to have been at the time, ignoring the fact that the population of Anatolia at the time is projected to have been about 7,000,000. Unless they've added a couple hundred new provinces around the rest of the Mediterranean their own logic for the addition doesn't make much sense.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

turn off the TV posted:

Northern Africa is one of the most extreme cases of rapid climate change that I'm aware of. IIRC when the Romans conquered North Africa it was still one of the biggest agricultural centers in the world, but was experiencing the onset of extreme desertification that has continued to this day. At one point, however, the region was filled with lakes and ideal for agriculture, and likely housed a pretty sizable population.

[...]

My name is Ozymandias, king of kings. Look upon my works...

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
https://twitter.com/AKindAleWar/status/967685503444119552

I can't believe they got IHE and Sky Williams to do voice-work on this.

https://twitter.com/IHE_OFFICIAL/status/967699734101192704

I'll be interested to see what he has to say about working on it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Wait the Steam page says it has "Sexual content"?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

RatHat posted:

maybe they stole the cloaca alyx model too

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Max Wilco posted:

Hell if someone wanted to pay me to phone in some poo poo dialogue for their stupid retail fanfiction I'd be on board too.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

RatHat posted:

if the steam community hates a game, they'll put a lot of really weird tags on it that have nothing to do with the actual game

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The main character looks like a Korn groupie and that really bugs me.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Max Wilco posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qy4EIvvVj4&t=15s

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Max Wilco posted:

Wait a second, Breen negotiated the truce that ended the Seven Hour War, not the president. He was probably killed in the first thirty seconds.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Arcsquad12 posted:

Wait a second, Breen negotiated the truce that ended the Seven Hour War, not the president. He was probably killed in the first thirty seconds.

Forget it Ace, its Fanfictown.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

IHE (I Hate Everything) does videos on YouTube covering bad movies and whatnot.

Sky Williams is the guy Dunkey beat in Smash Bros.

Arcsquad12 posted:

President Gnome Chomsky getting right into the fake news about about surrendering to the Combine.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Alein invaders known as the combo

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://i.imgur.com/qZML3P0.mp4

From here.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I can't help but think it's missing something. They should really replace the rabbit logo in the MEKA bootup with DoomGuy's :unsmigghh: grin.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

I choose to believe that DOOMGUY is also a professional Starcraft player in this timeline :colbert:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Nice hairy arms, D.VA.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I choose to believe that DOOMGUY is also a professional Starcraft player in this timeline :colbert:

You're huge
that means you huge guts!
gg no re

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

He was banned for overusing the berserk pack to increase his APM.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Here's something cool: Dark Souls Prepare to Die Again. It's a mod that rearranges DS1 to change up the enemy and bonfire placements.

LobosJr is currently streaming it: https://www.twitch.tv/lobosjr

There's also the Dark Souls Rekindled mod (https://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls/mods/1239/) that tweaks the stats on weapons, armor, spells, etc.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I would like to poo poo on everyone's fun to remind everyone of this critical piece of D.Va Lore: She is not a Starcraft champion. Source