Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
I tend to conflate US Americans and Canadian Americans (and sometimes Mexican Americans to be honest) together. Are there any discernable cultural differences, other than national pride, between US Americans and Canadians? What about Canadians and British people?

I had some Nova Scotians stay with me once, and they had a very slight Scottish twang (at least to my ears). Is this unique to Nova Scotia? Are there other areas of Canada which have retained accents or dialects from the people who colonised the place?

Do Canadians have any special connection to other ex-British colonies in the Americas? What about to Britain or France?

Where do Canadians like to go on holiday? What do Canadians generally like to do on holiday? I imagine lots of camping trips because of all the wilderness. Is there a clubbing destination which young adults go to?

I was told either by an American or a Canadian (can't remember), that people in America don't travel and go to youth hostels. Is that true?

How have people dealt with the cultural atrocities inflicted on natives in Canada? Is it something people talk about? Do people care?

What do Canadians think of religion? I know in the USA and Mexico, christianity is still very popular. Do Canadians take religion seriously? Are there any native religion revivalist movements, and if there are, are these movements connected with nationalism?

Do native groups want more autonomy? Do they consider themselves to be Canadian?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Chatrapati posted:

I tend to conflate US Americans and Canadian Americans (and sometimes Mexican Americans to be honest) together. Are there any discernable cultural differences, other than national pride, between US Americans and Canadians? What about Canadians and British people?

There's sort of a spectrum of culture running from north-south and east-west North America. Minnesotans are going to be more similar to people from Manitoba and Ontario than they are to people from Texas. Likewise people living in Maine would probably find more in common with Nova Scotians than with folks from Washington.

I'm not sure how similar Canadian people are to the British, but that's going to vary by region too. Newfoundlanders have a lot more in common with the English than Albertans do if not only because the province was still a British colony until relatively recently. I wouldn't be surprised if some regions of Saskatchewan and Manitoba were more similar to Scandinavia and Eastern Europe than to Britain because of the swaths of immigrants that obtained land there. There are more Icelandic people in Canada than there are in all other countries combined and we have the most Ukranian people second to Russia, not counting their home countries of course.

Chatrapati posted:

I had some Nova Scotians stay with me once, and they had a very slight Scottish twang (at least to my ears). Is this unique to Nova Scotia? Are there other areas of Canada which have retained accents or dialects from the people who colonised the place?

Absolutely. In fact, Gaelic is still spoken in some parts of Nova Scotia!

ETA: I doubt people from other regions would sound as Scottish, but the same dialect connections can be heard in other populations with different languages; Newfoundland with English and Irish, New Brunswick with French, etc. There's a place on the west coast of Newfoundland that has a French connection. Their regional dialect has a weird quirk where they mix French grammar with what is otherwise entirely English language, even though very few people there even speak it anymore.

Chatrapati posted:

Do Canadians have any special connection to other ex-British colonies in the Americas? What about to Britain or France?

Not really. The royal family come for a visit every now and then but they don't have any real political power or influence here. Most people I know are completely uninterested. The French connection is even further removed as far as I can tell, but I'm not Francophone so I can't really say for sure.

Chatrapati posted:

Where do Canadians like to go on holiday?

The Caribbean.

Chatrapati posted:

How have people dealt with the cultural atrocities inflicted on natives in Canada? Is it something people talk about? Do people care?

Few talk about it. In many cases people are just ignorant (I never learned anything about it in school, for example) but sometimes it's an elephant in the room. The topic has been getting more attention lately because of the new government, but so far it just seems to be more of the same old lip service. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me can talk more about it because I don't really feel qualified to comment on this subject myself.

Chatrapati posted:

What do Canadians think of religion? I know in the USA and Mexico, christianity is still very popular. Do Canadians take religion seriously? Are there any native religion revivalist movements, and if there are, are these movements connected with nationalism?

Again, this is going to vary by region. Alberta has a reputation of being a hyperconservative Christian place but even it would be considered secular by a lot of conservative American standards. Though, predictably, there are quite a lot of Mormon communities near the Montana border. The rural areas of most provinces have their share of Anabaptist communities as well. Growing up in rural Newfoundland we said the Lord's Prayer every morning at school. Where I'm from most people go to church because it's just what everyone does, despite my area being fairly secular.

As for other religions, Surrey BC and Brampton ON are peppered with Sikh gurdwaras and I'm sure the same is true for Toronto with mosques and synanogues/temples. As far as I know most people don't really care either way.

There are native groups throughout the country that are trying to return aspects of their culture to pre-colonial roots, including religion. I'm not sure what you mean by "connected with nationalism" question though?

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 22, 2017

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

There are native groups throughout the country that are trying to return aspects of their culture to pre-colonial roots, including religion. I'm not sure what you mean by "connected with nationalism" question though?

I meant stuff like this. Instances where religion and nationalism can be tied together.

Thanks for answering all of my questions! I find Canada quite interesting because it's stereotyped on American TV shows quite a lot, but I don't get any exposure to it other than that. It's kind of odd to consider everything you know about a place is based on parody.

Actually. Do people care about that?

Chatrapati fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Dec 22, 2017

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Chatrapati posted:

I meant stuff like this. Instances where religion and nationalism can be tied together.

Ah. I'm not aware of anything like this at all here.

Chatrapati posted:

Thanks for answering all of my questions! I find Canada quite interesting because it's stereotyped on American TV shows quite a lot, but I don't get any exposure to it other than that. It's kind of odd to consider everything you know about a place is based on parody.

No problem! As long as you recognize that we're not all Bob and Doug McKenzie I'll recognize that you're not all Hank Hill and Dale Gribble :colbert:

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Chatrapati posted:

We have a few unique words and phrases, but a lot of them don't see much use anymore, like chesterfield.

Like what was said above, there's a spectrum of culture.

quote:

In the town of Vegreville, I have a lot of family, and Vegreville happens to have a particular subtle accent. Probably because it's chock full of folks who descend from Ukrainian immigrants and Scandinavian immigrants. It's kind of like a Minnesotan accent, despite being quite aways away from Minnesota. I can usually pick up if someone is from there or the general area.

Some people still try to make traditional cultural foods "like Baba used to make" and people will make an event out of it, like lefse days, or kluub weekends. Someday, maybe I'll learn to make stuff like perogies or naleshnyky or naschenka properly. Cultural food has a whole festival dedicated to it on Heritage Day. But I imagine it's pretty similar in a lot of places in the states.

quote:

Turks and Caicos is still a British territory, but Canada has had it's eye on it for the last hundred years. Prime Minister Robert Borden wanted it to become part of Canada in 1917, but the British Prime Minister wouldn't have it. Most Canadians would be thrilled to have Turks and Caicos become Canadian because we want our own Hawaii dammit.

quote:

Where do Canadians like to go on holiday? What do Canadians generally like to do on holiday? I imagine lots of camping trips because of all the wilderness. Is there a clubbing destination which young adults go to?

People like to go out to a lake or a family cabin during a long weekend or something. Victoria Day long weekend is especially popular for that. Sometimes people do ski trips to the mountains in the winter, or regular trips to the mountains in the summer. One good vacation I had with my family when I was younger was when we drove down to BC and visited some hot springs.

Earlier this year there was a bit of a fiasco with Via Rail offering young people unlimited train travel across the country during July for $150. It was such a great deal and wonderful opportunity that absolutely everyone wanted in on it. Via Rail's website went down and their phones were busy for days. They ended up claiming that it was a limited offer (despite originally announcing it as unlimited) and had sold all the available tickets.

I would have killed for the chance to travel Canada by train so cheaply. I like trains far more than I like planes.

quote:

I was told either by an American or a Canadian (can't remember), that people in America don't travel and go to youth hostels. Is that true?

There's a few regular hostels in my city, but I've never seen a youth hostel. I don't know of anyone who travels across the country and stays anywhere but a camper, hotel/motel, or a friend/relative's place. It can be very inconvenient to travel if you don't have a car.

quote:

Some places are more religious than others, particularly in small towns versus cities. I'm from a small town, but we never did any praying in school, and there was really no religious stuff beyond the odd Christmas play.

I currently work with a company that does work with various tribes involving teachings and bringing traditional teachings into the classroom. I recently redesigned a workshop brochure that was all about teaching pre-colonization parenting techniques, so there is a movement out there.

quote:

Do native groups want more autonomy? Do they consider themselves to be Canadian?

I'm not native, so I can't say what they want. I know some consider themselves Canadian and some don't. It all comes down to the individual.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Nessa posted:

Most Canadians would be thrilled to have Turks and Caicos become Canadian because we want our own Hawaii dammit.

I don't see why. A ten day all inclusive five-star trip to Cuba would still be cheaper than the flight tickets to those islands alone :v:

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Chatrapati posted:

If you're interested in seeing a Canadian sitcom about rural Saskatchewan made by Canadians and for Canadians, look no further than Corner Gas.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL4ggMS6pKrd5pS70KWQdW5FkQYZ2PLIzR&v=TH0wQI0hUTE

Rural Alberta isn't much different.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"
To address the question of First Nations in Canada, while I'm not First Nations myself, I have learned about it and discussed it extensively as part of my major, Political Science.

To begin with, the whole question of First Nations in Canada is quite complicated. First, the situation as it is now is that the First Nations are generally managed under what is called the "Indian Act" (this Act was created in the late 19th century, so you'll need to excuse the terminology), which outlines what an "Indian" is, how their reserves work, and so on. Generally they're left to manage themselves on their reserves and the Canadian government supplies them with funds. The relationship is more complicated than this, but that's the general idea here.

As a quick aside on nomenclature for the First Nations, a lot of names are used for them. "Indian" is out of date and generally considered a racist term in Canada, I think less so in America. In America they tend to use "Native American", while in Canada we tend to use "Aboriginal" or more recently "Indigenous Peoples". However, there are issues with these terms as well, since it clumps all the First Nations people together into one thing, which isn't actually accurate. The First Nations are actually a large number of distinct nations unto themselves, with many of them having their own unique cultural practices, languages, and so on. This is why I use "First Nations" personally, as it is accurate to what the First Nations people actually are. It is worth pointing out, however, that a First Nations person wouldn't use any of these terms for the most part, and would refer to themselves as being part of whatever nation they are, such as Cree, Mohawk, Haida, etc.

There's basically two schools of thought as to how to address the situation and improve the lives of First Nations. Cultural minority recognized as a nation, and a homogeneous approach. Cultural minority is basically that the First Nations are recognized as a nation unto themselves. They would still be part of Canada, it's just their distinct culture would be recognized politically and legally as separate from the main Canadian system. So for example, the various First Nations would have greater political autonomy within their reserve, and this system would work directly with the Canadian government. The issue with this idea is that the First Nations have very little land to work with, and thus, unfortunately, political autonomy may not be possible in a lot of cases.

As an interesting side-note, this land is managed by treaties, most of which were created and signed centuries ago. In some cases, however, no treaties were made, like with most of British Columbia (the most western province). This is referred to as "unceded territory" and technically means all non-First Nations are living there "illegally" per treaty law. In practice this doesn't actually matter, since the First Nations don't have the power to enforce this. However, with that said, there has been some steps to recognize it, my university for example goes out of its way to indicate that it sits on unceded territory.

The homogeneous approach is where everyone in Canada is effectively made "Canadian", with "Canadian" as a concept being an attempt to bring together all the aspects of what makes Canada Canada and try to make everyone roughly equal based on this idea. As an example, Canada is a bilingual country. All government services need to be offered in both English and French, as well as packaging for goods and so on. Our cereal boxes, for example, have both an English and French side. The idea then is that everyone is bilingual and basically a combination of English and French. In practice, this... Doesn't work at all.

The idea here was an attempt to address the "Quebec issue". Quebec is kind of a separate culture on its own, French based instead of English like most of the rest of Canada. They were a French colony originally, and were taken over by England after France lost to them in 1763. However, they retained their French culture from then until now. As discussed previously, the First Nations want to be recognized as their own nation, and Quebec does as well. This was a major issue when we were drafting our own constitution.

As an aside, the history of Canada's "constitutions" is a bit complicated. We didn't just separate like the Americans did (although we did try to some extent and failed), but gained autonomy through the British North America Act of 1867. However, this Act was not Canadian - It was discussed and passed in the British Parliament. Thus, in the 60s and 70s, there was a movement to create a constitution that was created in Canada and ratified by Canadian Parliament instead of the British one.

The main issue of this constitution was, as brought up previously, the idea of "cultural minority" versus "homogenization". Trudeau, the Prime Minister at the time (more or less, it's complicated), wanted the homogeneous approach. Quebec did not, and neither did the First Nations at the time as well. They wanted to be recognized as their own nations. Funnily enough, the whole "bilingual" thing wasn't even Quebec's idea really, and I don't think they really care that much about it. Trudeau was the one who wanted it.

Anyway, we did get our Constitution, but it required some underhanded dealings between Trudeau and the other Provinces in Canada, and Quebec was overruled and had to deal with it. They refer to this as the "Night of Long Knives", and it's effectively why we don't talk about this event much or celebrate it. The First Nations didn't get what they wanted either, and the Constitution just continues the "Indian Act" in a second part and that's it. The end result was Quebec attempting to separate from Canada twice, with both referendums failing by a very slim margin. It's pretty incredible, really, that Canada managed to avoid any overt violent action during this, like with Ukraine as an example.

To continue with the First Nations and how they operate, there's two other major issues to address. These are the "Originalist" and "Living Tree" approaches to defining First Nation people and their various rights, and so forth. Originalist is the approach that the Canadian courts have taken to this point. The idea is, what defines "First Nation", is what any First Nation was doing when they were discovered by Europeans. So if they were fishing in a specific spot when the Europeans showed up, they retain the right to fish in that spot.

Living Tree approaches this differently. It attempts to address the fact that situations have changed since then, especially for the First Nations, and other rights should be recognized, even if the First Nations weren't doing those sorts of things when they were "discovered". In other words, this is an attempt to move away from the idea of the First Nations people being "noble savages", and should have rights as a people beyond whatever they happened to be doing centuries ago. Unfortunately, this line of thinking hasn't been adopted much.

Well, that came out a bit long, but it should serve as a decent primer on the issue.

Lord Justice fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Dec 22, 2017

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Native rights is always a mess, the only way I've ever seen discussion on it not end in a fight is when people say "it's messy. They've been treated badly and there's no easy solution"
Smudging can be a good example of how a discussion gets ugly quick. Or taxation. Or reserves. Or anything really.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
A big part of the problem with the First Nations is that the government forced them onto lovely, isolated land, that's often inaccessible, proper nutrition is exorbitantly expensive, and now we wonder loudly why they have so many problems related to isolation and poverty.

A friend of mine worked in a fly-in fly-out reserve for a while, and while he liked it for the most part, a lot of his co-workers were having breakdowns and counting the days until their posting was done, and apparently it was a terrible work environment because most everyone had a ridiculously short fuse. These are people on two-year postings, mind you. It's absolutely no mystery to any sane person why a lot of people who grew up and live in that environment long-term can begin to lose hope, and that's before you start looking at factors like the intergenerational trauma caused by the residential school system and other horrible crimes perpetrated against them.

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice
I saw a news blurb recently (probably The Toronto Star) about how Canada has, measurably, been moving further left politically/socially while the US had moved to the right. We love our national healthcare, have a decade + of equal marriage rights and accept more refugees annually than the USA despite having 1/10th of the population. It used to be laughable when US and Canadians were conflated into a single entity by others but it really annoys me now.

Toronto (Canada's biggest city) is now majority visible minority too :) If you go to small town Canada though it will still be majority white.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Canada has been moving to the right pretty hard over the last couple decades. Our "left" party has expunged all mentions of socialism from their official platforms and it's been a desperate race to the centre to try to attract voters, but what's regarded as the "centre" in Canada for anything other than some nice high profile social issues has been moving to the right for a while now. 2-tier privatized healthcare keeps getting floated while the system is internally sabotaged and underfunded to make future privatization more appealing. Our post system was run into a ground by a libertarian installed to pave the way for privatization and only just barely failed to do so. The alt-right is leaking pretty hard from the US up into alberta and rural ontario and spreading out from there. We're selling weapons to brutal theocracies engaged in warcrimes and mass executing gay people, but our PM marches in pride parades and weed is almost legal so we're a progressive paradise! Canada has some of the worst corruption and transparency ratings in the developed world with crony-capitalism running the economy and funding the major parties, but by goly gosh we're so polite and nice unlike those rude americans.

What Canadians are great at are cherry picking a few things we're less terrible at than the US then declaring ourselves a progressive paradise while ignoring the rest of the country going to poo poo. "At least we didn't elect trump!" they smugly congratulate them selves while ignoring skyrocketing rates of poverty, homelessness, and economic inequality. The actual leftist spirit Canada had back in the days of Tommy Douglas are long dead.

Also the RCMP is like an incompetent racist rapey small town US police force but somehow on a federal level but they sometimes put on a horsey parade so they're a symbol of national pride.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

This is really informative and interesting, thank you! I don't live in a country that has had a history of displaced populations, so it's difficult knowing what's appropriate. I remember talking to someone from America who was saying how someone was being racist for saying that first nations people still lived in teepees, I honestly had no idea that they didn't at the time.

The originalist thing doesn't make much sense to me. Even in fairly stagnant cultures, things change, and I can't imagine that first nations peoples have been stagnant over the past two-hundred years.

PT6A posted:

A big part of the problem with the First Nations is that the government forced them onto lovely, isolated land, that's often inaccessible, proper nutrition is exorbitantly expensive, and now we wonder loudly why they have so many problems related to isolation and poverty.

A friend of mine worked in a fly-in fly-out reserve for a while, and while he liked it for the most part, a lot of his co-workers were having breakdowns and counting the days until their posting was done, and apparently it was a terrible work environment because most everyone had a ridiculously short fuse. These are people on two-year postings, mind you. It's absolutely no mystery to any sane person why a lot of people who grew up and live in that environment long-term can begin to lose hope, and that's before you start looking at factors like the intergenerational trauma caused by the residential school system and other horrible crimes perpetrated against them.

A friend of mine flew over to some isolated part of the Western coast of Greenland a couple of years ago and said it was one of the most depressing places on Earth. There were strict rules about alcohol because locals would drink and kill themselves, or drink themselves ot death. Don't know how related this is to your story honestly, but the American arctic seems like a pretty crappy place to live.

Nessa posted:

If you're interested in seeing a Canadian sitcom about rural Saskatchewan made by Canadians and for Canadians, look no further than Corner Gas.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL4ggMS6pKrd5pS70KWQdW5FkQYZ2PLIzR&v=TH0wQI0hUTE

Rural Alberta isn't much different.

I watched the first episode of this show and now feel like I could post my own 'Ask me about living in Alberta' thread. It isn't at all how I pictured Canada (basically, just a big forest).

Chatrapati fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 23, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Chatrapati posted:

This is really informative and interesting, thank you! I don't live in a country that has had a history of displaced populations, so it's difficult knowing what's appropriate. I remember talking to someone from America who was saying how someone was being racist for saying that first nations people still lived in teepees, I honestly had no idea that they didn't at the time.

The originalist thing doesn't make much sense to me. Even in fairly stagnant cultures, things change, and I can't imagine that first nations peoples have been stagnant over the past two-hundred years.

A friend of mine flew over to some isolated part of the Western coast of Greenland a couple of years ago and said it was one of the most depressing places on Earth. There were strict rules about alcohol because locals would drink and kill themselves, or drink themselves ot death. Don't know how related this is to your story honestly, but the American arctic seems like a pretty crappy place to live.

The conditions on reserves can vary drastically by reserve. Some urban reserves are just like a normal lower class neighbourhood in a city, some rural reserves that have gotten rich off a local resource can be good too. But some are absolutely horrible, like full on gulag conditions. No running water, limited power, no road access. Housing unsuited to the climate because some bureaucrat in southern ontario decided to use the same plans or same mobile homes designed for a temperate climate in a much colder climate. lovely insulation, deadly mold problems. A lack of access to medical care or education and a multi-generational culture of utter hopelessness. Some Canadian reserves are worse than any 3rd world refugee camp you've ever seen.

Then the government decided to do something like build a road or fix the leaking black mold infested housing and canadians scream about lazy spoiled natives how come white middle class canadians don't get free government houses?!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Chatrapati posted:

Substance abuse is apparently a big problem. My friend was an RCMP officer up there, and he estimated well over half of his calls were alcohol-fuelled. Some communities are dry, others are not. In the dry communities, people will make their own booze with fruit juice, sugar and yeast, kind of like prison.

Taking away alcohol is only treating a symptom, not the disease, though. If you get rid of alcohol, next you'll be asking how to stop the suicide epidemic, or whatever else pops up, because the underlying problem is poverty, an intergenerational abuse and neglect problem originated by the residential school system, isolation, and a lack of opportunity.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

PT6A posted:

If you get rid of alcohol, next you'll be asking how to stop the suicide epidemic, or whatever else pops up, because the underlying problem is poverty, an intergenerational abuse and neglect problem originated by the residential school system, isolation, and a lack of opportunity.

Yeah every now and then there's a story on the news about children in these communities huffing gasoline. It's beyond horrible.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also like hundreds of first nations women can be murdered and the RCMP just short of shrugs.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Chatrapati posted:

I watched the first episode of this show and now feel like I could post my own 'Ask me about living in Alberta' thread. It isn't at all how I pictured Canada (basically, just a big forest).

Canada is full of a wide range of landscapes! You've got oceans on both ends, foresty type areas, tundras, mountains, some desert and lots and lots of flat prairies.

My city is pretty flat with the exception of a big river valley running through the city.

The running joke about Saskatchewan is that it is so flat that you can watch your dog run away for 3 days. The intro song to Corner Gas mentions this joke.

I have some relatives from B.C. and they drive out to our family farm every summer. One year, they decided to drive through Saskatchewan as well and said it was absolutely gruelling because of how flat and empty it is.

Despite this, Saskatchewan is a pretty popular location for fishing since they have a lot of lakes.

One of my favourite places is Drumheller, Alberta. When you drive there, there's a lot of flat prairie that suddenly opens up into a vast expanse of beautiful desert canyons. Drumheller has a wonderful dinosaur museum and the whole town is dinosaur themed with statues all around. Even the McDonalds has a big dinosaur mural on the inside.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Nessa posted:

One of my favourite places is Drumheller, Alberta. When you drive there, there's a lot of flat prairie that suddenly opens up into a vast expanse of beautiful desert canyons. Drumheller has a wonderful dinosaur museum and the whole town is dinosaur themed with statues all around. Even the McDonalds has a big dinosaur mural on the inside.

I'd been there as a kid, and I sort of remember the jarring change in landscape, but recently I flew there and it's even more striking from the air. It's a really abrupt transition, too -- I wasn't expecting that, I was sort of expecting a zone where the two landscapes kind of blend into each other, but nope!

There's also a lot of beautiful country that hardly anyone ever sees because it's so goddamn remote. When I went up to Peace River, it was just miles and miles of beautiful, rugged country with absolutely loving nothing in it. And it only gets less populated once you head north of Peace!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Drumheller used to have this place called Reptile World that I originally thought was cool until I learned that the owner got dinged for multiple animal mistreatment cases. The Alberta SPCA seized hundreds of animals and the place was shut down nearly two years ago.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Mak0rz posted:

Drumheller used to have this place called Reptile World that I originally thought was cool until I learned that the owner got dinged for multiple animal mistreatment cases. The Alberta SPCA seized hundreds of animals and the place was shut down nearly two years ago.

Yeah, I remember that. Apparently they didn't even have antivemon on site for their venomous snakes, which included a black mamba.

PT6A posted:

I'd been there as a kid, and I sort of remember the jarring change in landscape, but recently I flew there and it's even more striking from the air. It's a really abrupt transition, too -- I wasn't expecting that, I was sort of expecting a zone where the two landscapes kind of blend into each other, but nope!

There's also a lot of beautiful country that hardly anyone ever sees because it's so goddamn remote. When I went up to Peace River, it was just miles and miles of beautiful, rugged country with absolutely loving nothing in it. And it only gets less populated once you head north of Peace!

I can imagine it looks really cool from the air! The dramatic shift in landscape gets me every time.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Happy Tibb's Eve to the few Newfies of this thread

:beerpal:

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice

Mak0rz posted:

Happy Tibb's Eve to the few Newfies of this thread

:beerpal:

Time to plank 'er down.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

If you like Drumheller, make it a point to visit Dinosaur Provincial Park near Brooks. It's like Drumheller as far as the eye can see. A vast area of the park is completely off limits because they discover new dinosaur species all the time and don't want the public loving it all up.

It's a great place for camping too, and is open for winter camping if you're Canadian enough.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Dear Canada Guy,

Why is your immigration process such a huge pain in the rear end? Your immigration site sucks serious rear end, and there's no way to track your paperwork once you send it off and I'm an American for chrissakes :argh:

Seriously, get it together, you make our immigration process look good in comparison

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've heard from quite a few people that Canada has pretty much the worst immigration process and staff involved in the western world.

Spadoink
Oct 10, 2005

Tea, earl grey, hot.

College Slice
I work in immigration law (currently on maternity leave so I can't give any advice) and am able to provide anyone who needs it with the name/names of good firms who can do complimentary consultations on Canadian immigration matters. In about 7 mos I will also be able to answer questions again :v:

Our system at least provides me with job security!

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Question for The Great Burrito or any other Thompson plateau goons that are still hanging around this thread.

I lived in Vernon for a year in 1999, I've many fond memories from that time. What's changed there in the last 18 years? How have the Vipers been doing, I remember them getting through to the national finals or some such a few years after we left.

P.S. People who think Canadians say 'eh' a lot should visit rural Australia or New Zealand

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 27, 2018

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Is Poutine a Québecois dish or Canadian?

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

Odddzy posted:

C'est un plat Québécois :quebec:.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Odddzy posted:

The rest of the country thinks they know how to make poutine, but only Quebec actually can do it properly for some reason.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Odddzy posted:

It’s from Quebec but apparently a memo went out like ten years ago that it is a mandatory Canadian dish and every food place must serve it in this nation. So you get wildly differing quality with KFC poutine being my guilty pleasure.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

what is a good distinctive food of Vancouver or BC?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Nanaimo bars

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Earwicker posted:

Anything with weed in it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Earwicker posted:

Japadogs

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

The one true answer.

Where do buttertarts come from? They're great and I was amazed that other countries didn't have them.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nanaimo bars are from Nanaimo!! Vancouver don't you dare claim this!!!!

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Justin Godscock posted:

It’s from Quebec but apparently a memo went out like ten years ago that it is a mandatory Canadian dish and every food place must serve it in this nation. So you get wildly differing quality with KFC poutine being my guilty pleasure.

That's not fair, they use their own gravy for that poutine, that's practically cheating! :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!

Jaguars! posted:

Question for The Great Burrito or any other Thompson plateau goons that are still hanging around this thread.

I lived in Vernon for a year in 1999, I've many fond memories from that time. What's changed there in the last 18 years? How have the Vipers been doing, I remember them getting through to the national finals or some such a few years after we left.

P.S. People who think Canadians say 'eh' a lot should visit rural Australia or New Zealand

It was stagnant and mostly the same for awhile, but the downtown really started bouncing back around 2010. Lots of new businesses with young owners. Some new apartment and office buildings went up. The north end of town past the mall is now the usual Walmart/Home Depo/ Superstore endless retail wasteland instead of wetlands. They built a kickass walkway thru the wetlands from Polson Park to Kal beach. Someone burned down the 100 year old wooden bleachers in Polson one night in 2006 and I was there walking by it when it went down. There’s a whole lot more homeless people living in parks and empty lots and people keep whining about having to see them on Facebook. My fav local restaurant (KT’s) closed after I moved and was a Conservative Party HQ (booo) for awhile but now it’s a record store/venue. So the economy is a whole lot better now than when I left. They filmed the movie Fido there in 2006 (also featuring Armstrong and Kelowna). There’s a lot of developments on the once bare hills above the west side of town. Still pretty nice and I visit with the kids a couple times a year when I can. It’s still in that nice spot where it’s a good size and not super busy like Kelowna during rush hour but it’s close to everything. If Fort Nelson keeps dying the way it is I’m moving back hopefully next year.

Can’t say much about the Vipers as I am a Bad Canadian and don’t watch hockey much outside of Olympics/ Playoffs but I did go to Vipers games occasionally. They’re tearing down the old Civic Arena this year (They built a new MULTIPLEX beside the Kin Horse Track in 2002)

So, busier and bigger I guess?

The Great Burrito fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 27, 2018

• Locked thread