Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

Leave him in the path of a typhon.

This seems to have worked. I hit him to bring his health down, then happened to run into a poltergeist. Poor Mr. Cook took a few too many boxes to his head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

RichterIX posted:

mother FUCKER

You're going to like doing that on a replay.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

RichterIX posted:

mother FUCKER

lol for me it was the operator dispensers, those fuckers were the worst in the back quarter of the game

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

Q-beam is actually a good deal better weapon than the shotgun in terms of resource-cost-to-kill, but it's not quite as fast. (safer, though, since it has effectively infinite range and precision) So do you want to safely accumulate more stuff (Q-beam) or more in your face action (Shotgun). I'm actually more of the first type, so shotgun never appealed much to me.

Especially if you go "superpowers" heavy, ignoring security weapons like the shotgun still completely still trivializes the whole game. (stun gun is still good until it gets outclassed by superpowers though)

You can also move and shoot effectively with the shotgun because there is no slow down when firing it. The q-beam slows you down when firing until you sink some upgrades into it and even then the shotgun makes for a better run and gun weapon. Doesn’t matter with superpowers tho, since you can basically stop time and instantly drop 300 damage on something while stunning it and disabling it’s powers, but it’s a lot more noticeable on a human only run, even with combat focus.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Palpek posted:

It also does other stuff like letting you make paths on electrified floors, it triggers cystoids to explode, it will stop various machines from working like ventilators, turrets or operator dispensers, it will stop radiation. It makes a great combo when used with turrets - freeze incoming enemies while your turrets do the damage to them to save your gun ammo. You can also block doorways with it to set traps etc.

God loving DAMMIT!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I don’t think that’s actually true. The only way to get rid of leaking radiation canisters I know of is to recycle them

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Basic Chunnel posted:

I don’t think that’s actually true. The only way to get rid of leaking radiation canisters I know of is to recycle them

God loving DAMMIT

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I think someone needs to do a wrench/gloogun/huntress run. I don't want it to be me though.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

orcane posted:

GLOO gun rocks.

My only regret with this game was that there wasn't a secret ending where it turned out the whole thing was just a simulator inside another simulator in order to test the
effectiveness of the Gloo gun.

So, basically this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJySgYGsHDw

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Yo this game is really really good. I keep falling into a loop of getting bored of playing then reading online about all the things I can do/find in the game and immediately hopping back in.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Previa_fun posted:

Yo this game is really really good. I keep falling into a loop of getting bored of playing then reading online about all the things I can do/find in the game and immediately hopping back in.

I did this with dishonoured / dishonoured 2 and the original Deus ex as well. So I know prey is great.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Basic Chunnel posted:

:stare:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I guess for me recycling grenades are the secret weapon I keep forgetting about, instead of the GLOO gun. When the latter didn't seem to help with radiation stuff (specifically the broken canister that's sitting at the entrance of Deep Storage) I actually went to Google. "Recycle them".

:stare: indeed

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Remember that you can also recycle those heavy objects blocking various entrances, you don't have to be able to lift them.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Hmm, I thought I remember it working but I guess I was wrong, oh well.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
All phantoms are weak to thrown poo poo.

Don't be a loving pussy dude. Max lifting.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Do you even lift (reployers)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I love all the e-mails discussing the reployers and what they do, even moreso when I found out the backstory that nobody who designed the game really had any clue what they did either.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

This isn't complicated.

They reploy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Then where are the ployers, Kibayasu? WHERE ARE THE PLOYERS!?!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It turns out you were the ployer all along.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Palpek posted:

They really should’ve done that self-aware talking gun thing

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Palpek posted:

Don't be a ployer hater. Cause haters goin' hate, ployers goin' ploy.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

When you de-ploy, you take something out of storage and install it in the world where it will be useful. So deploying must be a thing that undoes ploying, which is clearly putting the thing in storage before its first deployment.

It follows that reploying is putting something back in storage after it has been deployed. Done with that labware? Put it in the reployer!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Ahahaha I just experienced the jump scare everyone has mentioned. Good work, Prey, and also gently caress you.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Previa_fun posted:

Ahahaha I just experienced the jump scare everyone has mentioned. Good work, Prey, and also gently caress you.

which one?

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

ladron posted:

which one?

I should be surprised there are multiple I guess but the one I mean is pressing the green dot to calibrate the looking glass.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's just so fuckin obvious too. Just the ultimate shmuck bait. But the button is just so alluring.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I wish I could get the mimic detection V2 chipset that also detects greater ones... Instead I have duplicates of all the chipsets that upgrade all the alien powers I'm not using.

Arkane and their goddamn RNG upgrades, seriously :getout:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Yea, it'd be neat if it allowed you to combine / stack them like dh2.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I don't think I ever got Mimic 2.

Thank god the best suit chipset (ARTX2) isn't random.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Previa_fun posted:

I should be surprised there are multiple I guess but the one I mean is pressing the green dot to calibrate the looking glass.

aha. yeah, I screamed.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

I got one that charges psi from coral which is pretty dope, don't know if it's random though.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
It is indeed both Dope and Random.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Olewithmilk posted:

I got one that charges psi from coral which is pretty dope, don't know if it's random though.

I have that, and one that slowly recharges psi, on top of drinking water recharging my psi after a certain quest. My only power is combat focus, so that's... good?

But I'm sure if I wasn't playing exclusively with human neuromods, I wouldn't get any of the cool psi chipsets in the first place. Surely this would make me change my gimmick run halfway through the story in order to adapt to my RNG upgrades instead of feeling slightly gimped while going on with my alien powers murder rampage.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I know the comparison is tired but I've never played System Shock 1 or 2 and for me Prey is everything I didn't know I wanted out of Bioshock. I didn't even really love Dishonored 2 outside of a few moments. (Crack in the Slab kicked so much rear end)

In comparison, Prey feels so much more open and I've only just gotten to the Arboretum.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

It makes sense that Prey feels more open than Dishonored, as Prey is modelled on the System Shock series, which had similar open world design, while Dishonored is modelled on the Thief series, which had discreet levels. Personally I love both, but if the open world thing is more your jam then yeah you'll prefer Prey.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Previa_fun posted:

I know the comparison is tired but I've never played System Shock 1 or 2 and for me Prey is everything I didn't know I wanted out of Bioshock. I didn't even really love Dishonored 2 outside of a few moments. (Crack in the Slab kicked so much rear end)

In comparison, Prey feels so much more open and I've only just gotten to the Arboretum.

You should totally play the System Shocks (or at the very least SS2 if you think SS1 will be too dated for you- I will fully admit that even the Enhanced Edition of SS1 with mouselook is clunky) if you liked Prey. Prey really is a love note to those games, and it doesn't try to hide its references or the influence those games had on it.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Previa_fun posted:

That was loving perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Palpek posted:

Remember that you can also recycle those heavy objects blocking various entrances, you don't have to be able to lift them.

Hmm, I thought I remember it working but I guess I was wrong, oh well.

Oh gently caress me.