Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

And Tyler Too! posted:

Yeah every grineer can knock you out of the sky, and Odonata's flares which are supposed to deter that horseshit doesn't work. Itzal's 1 and 2 are usually okay at shaking them off but sometimes the game just doesn't want you to stay airborne.

no, it's not taking fire - like last night I was cruising around doing a dumb riven challenge that required plains AW. So I'm in AW, I'm not getting shot at, it decides to just lose altitude. only sometimes can I convince it to hover, or even fly forward in a straight line without losing altitude, or similar. It just seems to have a very strong "I just want to go down" behavior. Not a weird deadzone issue or anything, doesn't happen in any other mode or even non-plains AW. It's something about the plains that I don't get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Psion posted:

no, it's not taking fire - like last night I was cruising around doing a dumb riven. So I'm in AW, I'm not getting shot at, it decides to just lose altitude. only sometimes can I convince it to hover, or even fly at a straight line without losing altitude, or similar "I just want to go down" behavior. Not a weird deadzone issue or anything, doesn't happen in any other mode or even non-plains AW. It's something about the plains that I don't get.

I noticed that the other day too. I was burning across the plains and my trajectory started to take a downward turn and I couldn't pull it back up. I couldn't figure out what was causing it.

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

It tries to keep your distance from the ground so when you dip into a crevice you sink with it. Problem is that AWs are fast enough that the next mountain is but a second away.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Psion posted:

no, it's not taking fire - like last night I was cruising around doing a dumb riven challenge that required plains AW. So I'm in AW, I'm not getting shot at, it decides to just lose altitude. only sometimes can I convince it to hover, or even fly forward in a straight line without losing altitude, or similar. It just seems to have a very strong "I just want to go down" behavior. Not a weird deadzone issue or anything, doesn't happen in any other mode or even non-plains AW. It's something about the plains that I don't get.

They've added an auto-levelling system that tries to keep you a consistent height above the ground. You'll notice that it pulls you down to a certain height - which is generally a lot lower than most people would choose to fly around - and then stop. Thing is, it's pretty busted and doesn't auto-level very well when you fly towards a hill, so you end up flying into the hill unless you violently correct upward. I don't know why they did this. No-one knows exactly why they did this - probably, it's to promote you engaging with the ambient Grineer instead of ignoring them completely, as you tend to when that's an option. Hopefully they realise how much everyone seems to hate it and adjust or remove it.

Re clan membership - one of the really big advantages is that there are various blueprint shops available for installation in the Dojo. There's a Grineer, Infested, Corpus and base Tenno one. The blueprints in these need to be unlocked by significant amounts of resources, which everyone in the clan can contribute to, but once done they're available for purchase by credits by anyone in the clan. These include a large number of otherwise hard to get items such as weapons that require plat purchases in the market, rather than blueprint purchase, certain Warframes, all the additional Archwings, and various utility items. Also, some of the resources required for crafting a lot of the weapons have single use blueprints in here - makes it a lot faster to get them than waiting for the occasional Invasion payout.

This is largely how I've hit MR 18 in ~6 months - I joined a clan with some friends who've been playing since beta, and over time have crafted 90% of what's available through here and through blueprint purchases off the Market.

E:

< fnngh... as this is about the only place I've posted recently I'm guessing someone here gave me this sweet red text. Thanks for getting rid of the avatar text that someone else bought to annoy me, I guess? Maybe check post history before dropping :10bux: in future tho.

SadisTech fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 26, 2018

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Ok, maxed pretty much all my stuff on the starting Excalibur. Got a Hek which is awesome, despite the low clip size, and also bought the first hammer, which is surprisingly good once modded to be a bit faster and lot hurtier. Are there any good early hammers/staves worth chasing? They seem a lot better than swords.

Also, got all the parts for a Rhino so I'm cooking one now.

Also nabbed a Boltor and maxed it, and I really like it. The bullet travel is a bit weird, but it packs a nice punch. Thinking of making a stealth combo now.

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Shere posted:

warframe.market is an elegant enough solution that it negates the need for DE to address the issue really. The only place where things come off the rails are the subjectively valuable unveiled Rivens. They give me flashbacks to TF2 unusual hats.

Trading itself could be more streamlined for sure, and the credit tax on Platinum is very much a :rolleyes:, but I think it all works well enough that they're disinclined to mess it up.

At the end of the day, they have to make their money somehow and I'm happy to buy Harrow to avoid ever setting foot in Defection again.

Another area where it doesn't work is the small stuff: common primes parts, semi-rare mods, etc. In practice, the search costs (i.e., time to find a willing buyer/seller) are too high for those transaction to happen.

It's not obvious to me that the existing trading mechanics help DE pay the bills. Personally, I've never had much use for plat because most of the things I'd want are locked behind auction chat, haggling, pubbies in general, etc. OTOH, there appears to be vocal sub-group out there that loves imaginary trading mini-games :homebrew:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

gaj70 posted:

I see he still favors beam weapons - half the top tier. Less of a nerf than CW in these parts?

His spreadsheet is based on how well he is able to kill enemies in the simulacrum with Warframe invincibility on, meaning that he can safely stand in the open while focusing them down one at a time. That in no way represents what real gameplay can be like.

The information in the two shots below are the lifetime statistics for two different Planetside 2 players made with its API. One of them has accuracy that places them in the top 1% of the game's entire population, the other is about a standard deviation or so above average.

The important stat here is the consistency grade, as it measures the difference in accuracy grades in their profile between different sessions and weapons. Both of these players are good, both of them have different aim profiles, and both of them have really poor consistency in their accuracy. The most interesting thing about being able to see millions of players' data in the API is that players with better aim usually all have poor consistency. Inversely, higher consistency usually corresponds to poorer aim. The reason for this is that the circumstances in average gameplay can vary so greatly that the only people who can aim with consistency in all of them are people who always miss and people who cheat.

The same phenomenon exists in Warframe. As a comparison to the above stats, here's the difference in my accuracy between using the Soma Prime to clear 20 Heavy Gunners in the Sim while invincible versus my lifetime Soma Prime stats in actual gameplay as shown in my profile:

90% accuracy versus 46% accuracy is a huge discrepancy. When you take into account the fact that beam weapons have their damage reset between misses it makes trying to grade them in the Sim meaningless. The guy's spreadsheet is basically a measure of how good a weapon can be under mostly ideal circumstances rather than typical gameplay.

e: brain problems

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 26, 2018

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

turn off the TV posted:

His spreadsheet

This is where you run into issues. All these metasperg lists ignore the whole "realistic use" thing. Same reason that wf.builder dps-sperging makes very little sense with their calcs of burst damage and ~top deeps~. With the latest buffs to the everything and the fact that you generally won't be facing lv150 gunners without 4x corpro and a whole bunch of other poo poo anyways (and if you are, you are either a pubbie or severely hosed in the head), there's very few guns left that are outright horrible.

Really the only time in the game you want top-tier builds tailored for a specific activity is doing Dolons, and their entire mechanic is designed to poo poo all over the standard meta anyways. This might change if/when the whole dark sector thing comes back, but who the hell know when that will come and what it will look like. Until then, stop paying attention to what pubbies say and especially to ~tier lists~ that some sperg put together in sterile conditions.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Can you clarify something? As I understand it, the ramp-up doesn't reset to 0 when missing a single damage tick on a given target, it only starts afresh if you're damaging a new target. So if you're spraying one guy and don't maintain perfect accuracy, he'll still keep the ramped up damage - unless you've shot another guy before re-acquiring the first one, in which case the ramp-up begins again.

Counter-intuitive and weird that shooting a different target resets the damage on the first one, but less bad than if simply missing a tick caused a reset. Or am I wrong on how this works?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
The ODS and Defection missions make me wonder if rotations would be better as AABCBCBCBC or something. (Maybe AABCBCCCCCC?) Grinding for A drop will always be easy, but there's no great efficiency in long runs if looking for stuff from the drop tables. And as mentioned, there's not a lot you can do to run them faster. At least Defense and interception and Excavation can be done slower or faster per cycle based on performance.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

SadisTech posted:

Can you clarify something? As I understand it, the ramp-up doesn't reset to 0 when missing a single damage tick on a given target, it only starts afresh if you're damaging a new target. So if you're spraying one guy and don't maintain perfect accuracy, he'll still keep the ramped up damage - unless you've shot another guy before re-acquiring the first one, in which case the ramp-up begins again.

Counter-intuitive and weird that shooting a different target resets the damage on the first one, but less bad than if simply missing a tick caused a reset. Or am I wrong on how this works?

It resets whenever you miss, regardless of there being any other targets.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

turn off the TV posted:

It resets whenever you miss, regardless of there being any other targets.

OK, cheers. I'll pass this info around.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Tylana posted:

The ODS and Defection missions make me wonder if rotations would be better as AABCBCBCBC or something. (Maybe AABCBCCCCCC?) Grinding for A drop will always be easy, but there's no great efficiency in long runs if looking for stuff from the drop tables. And as mentioned, there's not a lot you can do to run them faster. At least Defense and interception and Excavation can be done slower or faster per cycle based on performance.

Or ABCD where D's drop table consists entirely of the rarest drops of ABC.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

Psion posted:

what's your ingame name, I'll give you some AW mods so you don't even have to grind for those.

And yeah, get Itzal if you're just getting one Archwing. It's valuable on the Plains, it's the most tolerable for sharkwing, it can wreck AW mobdefs and anything on the Corpus AW tileset, and JV is going away in 2 days so you don't have to worry about an Amesha healer buddy unless someone wants to.

also Amesha is ten nitain :mad:

e: also Itzal is useful for stupid Riven challenges like "kill 4 Vruush turrets without being downed or having a status effect," which also means don't even touch the ground while staying in AW mode. Related to this why is it my AW likes to plummet to earth all the time when I'm flying around on the plains? Is there some garbage altitude cap of 10 feet?

That'd be super cool of you, thanks a bunch. My in-game name is Perrydotto, I'm online right now.

Where in the Dojo does one buy things like blueprints?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Ritznit posted:

That'd be super cool of you, thanks a bunch. My in-game name is Perrydotto, I'm online right now.

Where in the Dojo does one buy things like blueprints?
In the main room you spawn in, there are four rooms just off of the big room. If you go in a teleport or hallway you have gone wrongly. Those four rooms are the research rooms with the blueprints. If you ask in chat, someone could probably show you around.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

Elysiume posted:

In the main room you spawn in, there are four rooms just off of the big room. If you go in a teleport or hallway you have gone wrongly. Those four rooms are the research rooms with the blueprints. If you ask in chat, someone could probably show you around.

Aah, that explains why I haven't found it. I always get too tempted by the tiny teleporter and explore.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
theres also the orokin lab which doesnt have weapons or frames but does have specter blueprints and also some other stuff that you probs wont need for a while

ThisBunkCannotSwim
Sep 17, 2010

Get in the bin.

Gave this a prod a few years back, never really got hooked, but decided to give it another spin recently and am now concerned that I'm going to end up selling my kidneys for a pair of bio-mechanical socks or something. I've applied for the goon clan, my in-game handle is also ThisBunkCannotSwim.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tallgeese posted:

They nerfed most beams back down to uselessness.

poo poo, really? And I havent even gotten around to playing this again. :(

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Ritznit posted:

I'll keep an eye out for you when I'm on. i'm sure it'll be very much worth it to have all these AW things, yes definitely :v:

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Goddamn, one moment I'm just picking this game up once in awhile to shoot and slash aliens, and now suddenly I can't stop thinking about it and am carving out any tiny bit of my day that I can to jump on. And I still just barely understand some of the systems in place.
I'll have to throw some money at the developer soon. I guess just waiting for a Plat sale is the smartest way to do so?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

barren_sky posted:

Goddamn, one moment I'm just picking this game up once in awhile to shoot and slash aliens, and now suddenly I can't stop thinking about it and am carving out any tiny bit of my day that I can to jump on. And I still just barely understand some of the systems in place.
I'll have to throw some money at the developer soon. I guess just waiting for a Plat sale is the smartest way to do so?

Plat sale or landing a 50/75% discount token

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Synthbuttrange posted:

poo poo, really? And I havent even gotten around to playing this again. :(

Beams are fine. The ramp-up is annoying, but not a huge issue if you can aim at all.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Helter Skelter posted:

Beams are fine. The ramp-up is annoying, but not a huge issue if you can aim at all.

that means they are useless :colbert:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
If you're willing to windmill slam a pile of money into DE's maw then a prime pack isn't the worst way to spend your money but yeah, I'd recommend waiting for a coupon. They're fairly rare, though.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

List of things stronger than beam weapons that don't have a retarded per-target wind-up mechanic:

Bullets
Energy Bullets
Buckshot
Energy Buckshot
Glass
Arrows
Energy Arrows
Cannonballs
Sawblades
Sound Waves
Throwing Knives
Grenades
Energy Grenades
Harpoons
Gas Darts
Whatever Pox is

So yeah if it's not the Ignis, Atomos, or Amprex it was good for literally 24 hours and then went right back to being functionally inferior to everything else.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Helter Skelter posted:

Maybe if you're running the Atomos or Amprex, otherwise :rip:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dammit DE.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Just got back into this game because of some real life friends and the last time I really played was 2015 and goddang that's a lotta new stuff

Also literally first day back and I land a goddamn 50% off plat coupon on login. Bugger off DE, you're not getting my money anymore! :argh:

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I wonder if offical forums are also full of beam complaints. It is possible they might change their mind back to the first version, I don't mind this way too much, but I know most players hate that their weapon takes an extra second-ish per man.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
After over 190 hours of play, I finally managed to contribute to Goon Clan by donating a single anti-violet pigment. Not sure what that's actually for but everything else already seems to be researched.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

There's always more stuff to research eventually.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Captainicus posted:

but I know most players hate that their weapon takes an extra second-ish per man.

This is an incredibly optimistic outlook.

Farmer Jimbo
Mar 11, 2005

CC Plox.
Second to last day to run LoR and get your legacy shoulder pad?

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

turn off the TV posted:

This is an incredibly optimistic outlook.

I don't find it too hard to focus a beam on one man, but I understand I could be in the minority, there. That would depend on how familar with FPS games you are. The only enemies that are tough to focus on are ospreys, which, thankfully, don't have too much health. Definite downgrade if you liked jumping around at extreme speeds and also beams, though I usually stick with explosives for that kind of thing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Opticor isnt touched by any of this though, right?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think it's more that I'd like it if the startup time was more the beam spooling up, at which point I could sweep my full power beam over many people until I have to reload, rather than per-target.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Captainicus posted:

I don't find it too hard to focus a beam on one man, but I understand I could be in the minority, there. That would depend on how familar with FPS games you are. The only enemies that are tough to focus on are ospreys, which, thankfully, don't have too much health. Definite downgrade if you liked jumping around at extreme speeds and also beams, though I usually stick with explosives for that kind of thing.

Look at the overall accuracy which you have with any given beam weapon in your profile, then keep in mind that the ramp up resets with every miss. Certain weapons like the Amprex should still be fine, but things like the Convectrix got absolutely dumpstered.

Night10194 posted:

I think it's more that I'd like it if the startup time was more the beam spooling up, at which point I could sweep my full power beam over many people until I have to reload, rather than per-target.

This was how it worked several days ago, but apparently that behavior was not intended. If ramp up has to be per target then I would at least like to see them shift from scaling base damage to base ROF. If it was determined by ROF then missing targets and delivering glancing shots would be dramatically less punishing.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Feb 27, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wait, rampup is per target that's ridiculous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Synthbuttrange posted:

Opticor isnt touched by any of this though, right?

Opticor got a major MR increase but it's not a beam weapon so no, it is still a murder laser.