Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Jerkface posted:

The photo is cropped if u see the full picture he is still wearing jnco jorts

Maybe he had the heart attack because he heard they were finally going out of business

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Plot of Mario movie: Mario meets Cappy, a symbiotic hat that gives him new powers and new suits, which helps him defeat Bowser. However Cappy makes Mario more mentally unstable and violent. When he scares princess Peach, he resolves to get rid of Cappy.

Cappy is found by a Toad who's always been jealous of Super Mario, and bonds with him to form Wario.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Too simple, needs Baby Bowser trying to avenge his father and an ex-con Pokey trying to reconnect with its daughter.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Will Michael Cera play a Shy Guy?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Super excited for the Mario Extended Universe so I can finally get my Waluigi solo movie.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

You can always tell a Milford man.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Fart City posted:

Super excited for the Mario Extended Universe so I can finally get my Waluigi solo movie.

Waluigi v. Wario: Dawn of Waaaaaaaaaa

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Can't wait for the Donkey Kong/Donkey Kong Jr prequel films

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

glam rock hamhock posted:

I mean it's hosed that hunters are the ones putting major money into animal conservation but right now it really is them or nothing. People that act pissed about it aren't putting nearly as money into helping the animals as hunters are. It doesn't help that the local governments tend to not want to deal with the hassle of dealing with protecting animals because they have far more pressing poo poo to worry about so if they don't have the resources, they won't bother.

The hunting situation is very much an ideal world versus reality situation. It's annoyingly counterintuitive but it's going to take a lot to change and most people that actually run this have no desire to change it because it works for them and opposition doesn't have any power, solutions or a will to do anything but complain

If you're talking about African big game hunting this isn't actually true btw, the revenue for regular 'looking at animals and not killing them' tourism still puts way more money into conservation than hunting does. The hunting reservations also definitely don't just send people after 'problem' or 'terminally ill animals' either, they tend to be run with little oversight and no marked borders between the supposed reservation and the wilderness beyond.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

The Cameo posted:

He made that Chris Evans custody battle movie Gifted (no, I didn't remember it either) and creepy "I wish I could make The Graduate" swing-and-a-miss The Only Living Boy in New York.

Gifted was actually great.

In other news, how exactly did the Deathwish remake get greenlighted?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

twerking on the railroad posted:

In other news, how exactly did the Deathwish remake get greenlighted?

On paper, it actually makes a lot of sense. Violent, R-rated action movies have been doing gangbusters lately, between the John Wicks, the Kingsmans, Deadpool, and the horde of imitators that have all come and gone. Bruce Willis isn't as much of a draw as he used to be, but he's still a name just about everybody recognizes. Death Wish is a loving iconic IP, and Charles Bronson's character from the originals is pretty much synonymous with the idea of vigilante justice to a lot of people. On top of that, if you want a gory, nasty movie, Eli Roth is generally your huckleberry, and if you're willing to look at the social climate cynically enough, now is exactly the right time to target something at right-wing fucksticks if you want to milk money out of them.

It honestly seems like an incredibly safe bet, if anything, and I sort of feel bad for the execs who signed off on it and are now having it blow up in their face.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah, "Good guy with a gun" is extremely relevant right now. The Wikipedia plot description says the film will delve into "is he a hero or a dangerous crazyperson?" territory but who knows if they'll do more than pay lip service to the idea or actually dig into it.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah, "Good guy with a gun" is extremely relevant right now. The Wikipedia plot description says the film will delve into "is he a hero or a dangerous crazyperson?" territory but who knows if they'll do more than pay lip service to the idea or actually dig into it.

Honestly if it were anybody else than Willis in the role, I'd be more inclined to believe the movie would be ambiguous about the protagonist. But Willis has pretty much given up on portraying any real kind of complexity. I'm thinking it's gonna be a lot of "rah rah how cool is this?"

But then again somebody in the action movie thread mentioned that Paul Kersey should have been played by Bob Odenkirk in the remake, and the prospect of that kind of cut the knees out of this new flick from jump street for me anyway, because it would have been so much better with him in the role.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Catfishenfuego posted:

If you're talking about African big game hunting this isn't actually true btw, the revenue for regular 'looking at animals and not killing them' tourism still puts way more money into conservation than hunting does. The hunting reservations also definitely don't just send people after 'problem' or 'terminally ill animals' either, they tend to be run with little oversight and no marked borders between the supposed reservation and the wilderness beyond.

The amount of money hunting brings into Africa is gently caress all in comparison to tourists wanting to y'know, see the animals alive in their natural habitats.

quote:

(Safari Club Internationl) SCI’s claims are based on a commissioned study by consultants Southwick Associates. This study estimated the economic benefits of trophy hunting in eight African countries – Botswana, Ethiopia, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe (Southwick, 2015). They claim that the overall economic benefit from their estimated 18,815 trophy hunter visits is $USD 426 million to the studied eight countries, and that trophy hunting directly and indirectly supports 53,000 jobs.

$426 million for all 8 countries for hunting. Just looking at figures for a single country on that list (because it's the first listed), Botswana; tourism brought in $573.5 million in 2016. South Africa pulls in about $8 billion a year. Suggesting hunting makes any sort of monetary impact is hilariously wrong.

Sourcing: https://conservationaction.co.za/resources/reports/lions-share-economic-benefits-trophy-hunting/

https://www.wttc.org/-/media/files/reports/economic-impact-research/countries-2017/botswana2017.pdf

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fart City posted:

Honestly if it were anybody else than Willis in the role, I'd be more inclined to believe the movie would be ambiguous about the protagonist. But Willis has pretty much given up on portraying any real kind of complexity. I'm thinking it's gonna be a lot of "rah rah how cool is this?"

But then again somebody in the action movie thread mentioned that Paul Kersey should have been played by Bob Odenkirk in the remake, and the prospect of that kind of cut the knees out of this new flick from jump street for me anyway, because it would have been so much better with him in the role.

I feel like the original Death Wish sometimes gets an unfair rap; I recall thinking it was a bit smarter than the "stone cold badass Charles Bronson mows down throngs of gangsters and poor people" stereotype suggests. :shrug:

The thing I'd usually pair it with is the original Dirty Harry, though I've not watched either in some time so I'm not sure how they'd actually compare.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Chieves posted:

You can always tell a Milford man.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I feel like the original Death Wish sometimes gets an unfair rap; I recall thinking it was a bit smarter than the "stone cold badass Charles Bronson mows down throngs of gangsters and poor people" stereotype suggests. :shrug:

The sequels, especially the third film, really gave the Death Wish series that rap. The fourth film at least makes things ambiguous by having Kersey bankrolled and directed by a secret drug lord.

Wheat Loaf posted:

The thing I'd usually pair it with is the original Dirty Harry, though I've not watched either in some time so I'm not sure how they'd actually compare.

Magnum Force is really the best Dirty Harry movie because it gives Callahan his wish.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea Death Wish 3 is really where they just said gently caress it we're gonna have Kersey mow down a ton of brown people, forget the politics.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIBw9dSVKdU

Consider me excited for this.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

You have to respect a Mr. Creosote gag in a kids flick.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Basebf555 posted:

Yea Death Wish 3 is really where they just said gently caress it we're gonna have Kersey mow down a ton of brown people, forget the politics.

I remember the bad guys in three being fairly multicultural, but at the same time, they all looked like they'd wandered in from the set of The Road Warrior as well. :v:

I've never been able to decide if that one is a deliberate parody or not. You've got stuff like Kersey going out of his way to set up situations where he'll have an excuse to shoot guys with his giant gun, then there's that bit at the end where Kersey is out mowing down "the Creeps" with his belt-fed machine-gun like he's Rambo and all the other people watching him instantly go and get their guns so they can join in.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
You should watch Electric Boogaloo, it implies that while the writer and director might have been in on it, the producers most definitely weren't.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've seen Electric Boogaloo but, again, it's been a while since I watched it so I'd need to give it another look sometime.

I recall hearing that Michael Winner, the director, was pretty dreadful to Marina Sirtis on the set of Death Wish 3 but I've heard Winner was a bit of a nasty piece of work.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remember the bad guys in three being fairly multicultural, but at the same time, they all looked like they'd wandered in from the set of The Road Warrior as well. :v:

It's a cast that includes Bill & Ted's Alex Winter and Aliens' Rico Ross, being led by Gavan O'Herlihy, i.e. Chuck Cunningham from "Happy Days" and son of Dan O'Herlihy, the Old Man from RoboCop . It's a diverse cast.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've never been able to decide if that one is a deliberate parody or not. You've got stuff like Kersey going out of his way to set up situations where he'll have an excuse to shoot guys with his giant gun, then there's that bit at the end where Kersey is out mowing down "the Creeps" with his belt-fed machine-gun like he's Rambo and all the other people watching him instantly go and get their guns so they can join in.

The scene where the Jewish couple gets their peashooter taken away by the NYPD, then cutting to their apartment being robbed is pretty clear where the film's politics lie.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

.I recall hearing that Michael Winner, the director, was pretty dreadful to Marina Sirtis on the set of Death Wish 3 but I've heard Winner was a bit of a nasty piece of work.

I believe that Sirtis has said she was grateful for Deanna Troi on ST:TNG because she was tired of getting nude and doing rape scenes, specifically Death Wish 3, where she was naked on the floor while shooting that scene.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I've got bad news for you early TNG Marina Sirtis

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I've got bad news for you early TNG Marina Sirtis

I was always annoyed that the ship's counselor got a seat on the bridge next to the captain. She should've been shunted off into a tiny office that no one ever visited. I mean, Gopher didn't get a prime bridge spot on The Love Boat, did he?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Death Wish 3 makes a lot more tonal sense if you go in with the headcanon that it takes place in the same universe as The Warriors.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Davros1 posted:

I was always annoyed that the ship's counselor got a seat on the bridge next to the captain. She should've been shunted off into a tiny office that no one ever visited. I mean, Gopher didn't get a prime bridge spot on The Love Boat, did he?

Gopher isn't an empath.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Davros1 posted:

Look, someone has to tell the captain that the untrustworthy alien they are talking to is hiding something.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Gopher isn't an empath.

Does that mean every Starship is required to have a empath?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Davros1 posted:

Does that mean every Starship is required to have a empath?

Only if they have a sweet lounge on the bridge, most of them only have a captain's chair.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They actually did a whole thing later in TNG where Troi stops wearing just jumpsuits and has to start wearing a uniform and be an actual bridge officer. Picard is off doing something else and so they get Captain Dick Jones who tells her to start acting like an officer. This culminated in her taking an exam where the answer to the test was to kill Geordi.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

They actually did a whole thing later in TNG where Troi stops wearing just jumpsuits and has to start wearing a uniform and be an actual bridge officer. Picard is off doing something else and so they get Captain Dick Jones who tells her to start acting like an officer. This culminated in her taking an exam where the answer to the test was to kill Geordi.

What did Geordi do to deserve that?

Geordi ruled.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was a command exam where the solution was to send someone on a task that you knew would result in their death. IIRC specifically it was an area flooded with radiation that had critical equipment that needed to be repaired, hence sending Geordi in.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

It was a command exam where the solution was to send someone on a task that you knew would result in their death. IIRC specifically it was an area flooded with radiation that had critical equipment that needed to be repaired, hence sending Geordi in.

Gopher would totally send Isaac in to die, although it wouldn't be for something that important.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Why send Geordi to die when you can do everyone a favor and send Barclay? The real way to win the Kobayashi Maru.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Detective No. 27 posted:

Why send Geordi to die when you can do everyone a favor and send Barclay? The real way to win the Kobayashi Maru.

Geordi could probably see where the radiation was leaking from using his visor or some poo poo like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Someone who is good at reading people's emotions, yet not even psychic. I've seen it written that in other words, Troi was on the bridge to provide a woman's perspective. The other officers Picard could turn to on the bridge are either unfeeling androids or varying shades of machismo or military. Yes, I'm not forgetting Tasha.

This seems dumb to send in the head of Engineering.