Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Karate Bastard posted:

I declare today be nice to someone day. You can buy stuff if you like but it's not necessary for the occasion. Hey you ^^^^^ I like your av! It looks friendly! :)

Terribly hygienic avvie, Bastard!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I ate a semla today! It was delicious.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I ate a semla today! It was delicious.

Semla or fralla? (Fün fäkt: they mean the same in the same language but in different countries.)

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Thank you, thank you all. I do aspire to refresh and enliven :D

Here's a bit of a whiff though, actually. LIFEHACKS were advertised and I expected rough knocks and unfortunate ideas, but... meh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WCcc6ndcBU

The guy seems to be just happily indulging his whims manufacturing poo poo he has use for in his workshop :shrug:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Karate Bastard posted:

Here's a bit of a whiff though, actually. LIFEHACKS were advertised and I expected rough knocks and unfortunate ideas, but... meh.

The guy seems to be just happily indulging his whims manufacturing poo poo he has use for in his workshop :shrug:

Shameful. Neither a hot glue gun nor a single soda bottle to be seen.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Maybe I was too quick to slam this guy. He's treading a very thin line, check it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSdBWQaD-So

He's making a Bloodborne trick weapon from rusty old hand saws. He's honing the back edge of the saws because why not. He's drilling into sheet metal holding it with only his bare vises I mean hands I mean look at them hands Them silly old saw teeth couldn't chew through them hands any more than they could chew through a Russian T-34 battle tank, which probably is what he tore open to get that jacket of his. He's aware of proper terminology and uses it with precision. Hell folks I think we've found a hack master.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Btw at this level isn't a TIG welder basically just a hot glue gun really? Like put those things together, let's dab on some poo poo over here, and some over here why not, oh gently caress I got goop on this other poo poo too and now I can't see cause I didn't use a mask

e: oh look he's making a shank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0VjsEebK0o

Karate Bastard has a new favorite as of 22:37 on Feb 14, 2018

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Karate Bastard posted:

Btw at this level isn't a TIG welder basically just a hot glue gun really? Like put those things together, let's dab on some poo poo over here, and some over here why not, oh gently caress I got goop on this other poo poo too and now I can't see cause I didn't use a mask

Dunno. Never had access to a TIG welder. HAVE had access to hot glue guns.

EDIT: Just saying it's not a bona fide lifehack if you need a machine shop...

Samizdata has a new favorite as of 22:32 on Feb 14, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Just use a car battery and some rebar. #lifehack

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I love that he honed the back edges of the saws into shears but couldn't be arsed to grind off those saw teeth. Nope! :haw: Finished product got loving saw teeth sticking out all over the place like hello to you my friend!

It menaces with spikes of tetanus :black101:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Karate Bastard posted:

Maybe I was too quick to slam this guy. He's treading a very thin line, check it

He's making a Bloodborne trick weapon from rusty old hand saws. He's honing the back edge of the saws because why not. He's drilling into sheet metal holding it with only his bare vises I mean hands I mean look at them hands Them silly old saw teeth couldn't chew through them hands any more than they could chew through a Russian T-34 battle tank, which probably is what he tore open to get that jacket of his. He's aware of proper terminology and uses it with precision. Hell folks I think we've found a hack master.

Oh my god. This channel is amazing. Thank you for this

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tetanus doesn't really do well if exposed to the, you know, air.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've been hacked

Don't play with rusty old garbage, she said. You'll get tetanus she said. Mooooom

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Don't play with sharp stuff you just dug out of the ground.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Go home Jerry you are drunk, you are not even hacking right.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Lifehack: everything does or does not have tetanus so just get your shots because we live in the future.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

zedprime posted:

Lifehack: everything does or does not have tetanus so just get your shots because we live in the future.

And get autism?!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you get enough autism it wraps around to zero.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Karate Bastard posted:

This guy is peak Lifehacking, in that he is both risking injury (not a glove or safety guard in sight, I'm assuming no eye protection either) and spending a lot of time making shittier versions of tools that are commonly available for not a lot of money.

Karate Bastard posted:

e: oh look he's making a shank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0VjsEebK0o

He's not TIG welding, he's stick welding, and there's a lot more to it than there is to hot glue. What he has made here is a lovely tap holder, that won't be as easy to use or last as long as one that's available for under $20 at any hardware store. A chain wrench like better in every way than the one in the first video costs $21.29 at home depot, and isn't made with an old bicycle chain.

e: Also is he working in an actual cave?

EKDS5k has a new favorite as of 07:34 on Feb 15, 2018

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

zedprime posted:

28 is when you become a Real Sovereign Adult because that's the earliest age you get to decide whether or not to have immunity against tetanus :finland:

Unless you're employed because that nurse is going to stick it in you no matter what when you're having your noob check-up and spoon test.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Karate Bastard posted:

The goggles, do nothing!

A cut-off wheel with no guard. A grinding wheel that hasn't been faced since the '60's, clearly has a spun bearing, and has no rest. Snot welds on rusty metal. Several hours of work. All for a chain wrench that isn't even good for what a chain wrench is used for. All of his examples could be done with Channellock or Vice-Grip.

Edit: Never mind, I just saw the zombie killer saw scissors. This guy is cool with me now. If it was for real, I'd be worried, but he's just messing around like I did when I was a kid on the farm welding up nonsense out of scrap. I never followed any safety protocols either.

mostlygray has a new favorite as of 17:28 on Feb 15, 2018

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

mostlygray posted:

The goggles, do nothing!

A cut-off wheel with no guard. A grinding wheel that hasn't been faced since the '60's, clearly has a spun bearing, and has no rest. Snot welds on rusty metal. Several hours of work. All for a chain wrench that isn't even good for what a chain wrench is used for. All of his examples could be done with Channellock or Vice-Grip.

yeah but it looks like he is just doing it as a hobby, he clearly has a stocked af home shop, im sure he knows what channellocks are

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008

Do healthcare professionals in Glorious Suomi really use life hack bullshit when practicing actual for-real medicine?

I only ask because here in Glorious Nippon the healthcare professionals prefer to use Chinese herbalism bullshit, but who knows? Maybe they could share secrets discovered by single mom teachers that the government doesn't want you to know.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

OutsideAngel posted:

Do healthcare professionals in Glorious Suomi really use life hack bullshit when practicing actual for-real medicine?

I hear they're going to spoon test me any time now!!!! (I've been hearing it since 2nd grade.)

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

WoodrowSkillson posted:

yeah but it looks like he is just doing it as a hobby, he clearly has a stocked af home shop, im sure he knows what channellocks are

If you want to see a "stocked as gently caress" home shop check out Edge Precision on youtube. His home shop, as in the shop at his home's garage, has a Haas TM-1 (toolroom mill) and a Haas TL-1 (toolroom lathe). Base price for the two is $55k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3HcwWjWOGM

What he refers to as his "storage unit" is what most folks would consider a kitted out metalworking shop. Tig welding, belt sander, forge, power hammer, brazing, drill press, etc. Basically everything but a manual mill and lathe (which he sold, details in the vid below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww-Z0xQQPv4

His "actual" shop has a Mazak Integrex E650H (jesus gently caress!), Mitsubishi M-H80E horizontal mill (Cat 50 taper, 40HP, 80 tools in the tool changer), one of the four Star STG 5-Axis toolgrinders ever made, Mitsubishi wire EDM, Zeiss Countura CMM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwNP3EwzQFk
This shop tour shows some of his former garage machines.

So, your coolant is eating away your GoPro cases? Machine a new one!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmNm4-pdn8E&t=24s
That's part 2, the back, but it features some awesome 5-axis shots.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

:3:

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

I like to think this is in the same car as the claymore steering wheel

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Getting a face full of cacti when the airbag goes off, niiice

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Dunno-Lars posted:

Getting a face full of cacti when the airbag goes off, niiice

Well you know what they say. If the airbag goes off you were already dead by the time the cactus hit your face

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Maybe they're peyote cacti, to preanaesthesize you just before impact?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The cactus act as a sort of ballistic armor, absorbing the energy of the splintering metal from the Takata airbag before it hits your face.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Don't think of it as an airbag - think of it as reactive armor for your dashboard.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
Isn't that ammonia and bleach?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

RJWaters2 posted:

Get this: there's a whole bunch of chemicals that are dangerous to mix.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Bleach is pretty nasty stuff, there isn't a lot I would mix it with

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Anuses.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Ammonia and bleach create chlorine gas because of chemistry reasons I forget, vinegar and bleach create chlorine gas because bleach and weak acids don't get along well. Or get along very well, depending on what your metric for success is.

e: Bleach and ammonia might create chloramine vapor, and it's been too long since I took chemistry to know the difference.

Elysiume has a new favorite as of 01:08 on Feb 27, 2018

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I've mixed stuff with Klorite but I'm not dead. Didn't work anyway - what I really needed was a 39,95€ steam cleaner. (Life hack: buy one.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

RJWaters2 posted:

You can mix bleach with almost anything and it'll be toxic. Hell, some things you might want to clean with bleach will create toxic fumes. Also, bleach is pretty dangerous just by itself.