Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Eela6 posted:

This show is amazing and I don't agree with the ADRTW grousing about it being a 'normie' show. In a year less jam-packed with instant classics than 2017 I think it could have won AOTY easy.

Wait was that a thing?
MHA is one of the best currently running manga, and definitely top 3 shounen, and the anime was great too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Wait was that a thing?
MHA is one of the best currently running manga, and definitely top 3 shounen, and the anime was great too.

On and off. I don't think anyone thinks the show is awful or anything, but I think there's a bit of blowback from how much attention it gets compared to subforum faves (eg, with the recent anime awards).

Ed: on re-reading no one really did that? So congratulations to me for taking a tough stand against something no one disagrees with, wow, I'm so brave

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 26, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Actually been watching MHA with my girlfriend over the past couple months. Thought she was just sticking with it because I liked it but she's actually enjoying it too. Commented at the end of the first season that she wished Todoroki got more screentime, so it was fun to be able to tell her that he's a major character in season 2.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Eela6 posted:

On and off. I don't think anyone thinks the show is awful or anything, but I think there's a bit of blowback from how much attention it gets compared to subforum faves (eg, with the recent anime awards).

Ed: on re-reading no one really did that? So congratulations to me for taking a tough stand against something no one disagrees with, wow, I'm so brave

I don't think anyone here would put someone down for saying MHA is their favorite series, but it's probably not going to win any 'AOTY' awards, for as little as they matter.

I mean, it's a good series and as anime go it has killer production chops, but it's still shounen so there's always going to be an air of self indulgence to watching it because that's by and large what the genre is about.

If the question is "What's was the best anime of the past year?" I'm probably going to pick something that took more risks or had something poignant and interesting to say. I'd name something that's undeniably a work of art or a masterwork within it's genre from start to finish. I probably wouldn't pick an on-going shounen series with plenty of room left to flourish or fail.

However, if you asked me what I had the most fun watching in that same time span, it would definitely be the 22 minutes Deku spent punching some sense into Todoroki.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Shere posted:

I don't think anyone here would put someone down for saying MHA is their favorite series, but it's probably not going to win any 'AOTY' awards, for as little as they matter.

I mean, it's a good series and as anime go it has killer production chops, but it's still shounen so there's always going to be an air of self indulgence to watching it because that's by and large what the genre is about.

If the question is "What's was the best anime of the past year?" I'm probably going to pick something that took more risks or had something poignant and interesting to say. I'd name something that's undeniably a work of art or a masterwork within it's genre from start to finish. I probably wouldn't pick an on-going shounen series with plenty of room left to flourish or fail.

However, if you asked me what I had the most fun watching in that same time span, it would definitely be the 22 minutes Deku spent punching some sense into Todoroki.

Could you elaborate? I'm not sure what you mean by self-indulgent as a criticism. MHA seems way less self-indulgent than a lot of comparable series. The plot and characters don't line up to slobber all over Deku's knob, and a wide variety of characters are portrayed as real, fallible people with strengths and weaknesses who need to grow and change and work together. It's not just 'waiting for goku'.

Plus, perennial ADRTW favorites Symphogear and Gurren Lagann are insanely self-indulgent and that's a huge part of why I like them.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I think some of the scuttlebutt is that MHA has the momentum of a juggernaut steamtrain, and can sometime barrel your favorites down and trample them. I'd love it if everyone I knew who watched My Hero Academia and cried with me about Todoroki and drew great fanart would also watch Sound Euphonium and March Comes In Like A Lion, that might be my perfect world. But that doesn't happen. So it can be easy to blame My Hero Academia as it's core it's still A Manga And Anime Marketed To Teenage Boys and there are things out there maybe more mentally and emotionally complex to bite into, and then develops a stigma that people who like My Hero Academia are Dumb or Casual Fans of Anime.

These are bad takes and needlessly cynical but I see where they come from. It also becomes the Are You A Real Fan argument, due to liking something that's incredibly popular. I've been called a Normie on this very forum for having MHA in my Best Anime lists so it exists here. Looking at my list of Best Anime of 2017 I put Season 2 of MHA at #3. Right now I think that might be a little high, but when I wrote that I sure believed it, so it must be true.

This post lost a lot of direction as I started rambling, but yeah. I think this show is pretty good, and I'll probably watch Season 3 I bet.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I mean half the drat world had Made in Abyss as one of their favorites, despite 'bad things happen to cute kids' being absolutely trite shorthand for emotion, drama, and depth. Forgive me if I think that anime fans don't actually know what makes something original or interesting in the slightest.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

I mean half the drat world had Made in Abyss as one of their favorites, despite 'bad things happen to cute kids' being absolutely trite shorthand for emotion, drama, and depth. Forgive me if I think that anime fans don't actually know what makes something original or interesting in the slightest.
no, half the people who voted in crunchyroll's anime of the year poll

and even as someone who doesnt like made in abyss i think people voted for it because it had interesting visual design and gorgeous music not just because it had bad things happening to cute kids

also mha isnt very original or interesting either when you boil it down

also, they listed it as their favorite, not the most original or interesting anime.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Endorph posted:

no, half the people who voted in crunchyroll's anime of the year poll

and even as someone who doesnt like made in abyss i think people voted for it because it had interesting visual design and gorgeous music not just because it had bad things happening to cute kids

also mha isnt very original or interesting either when you boil it down

also, they listed it as their favorite, not the most original or interesting anime.

Well we're just now having a conversation that MHA would lose out to something that took more risks and, most likely, ended up being the most original or interesting.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Eela6 posted:

Could you elaborate? I'm not sure what you mean by self-indulgent as a criticism. MHA seems way less self-indulgent than a lot of comparable series. The plot and characters don't line up to slobber all over Deku's knob, and a wide variety of characters are portrayed as real, fallible people with strengths and weaknesses who need to grow and change and work together. It's not just 'waiting for goku'.

Plus, perennial ADRTW favorites Symphogear and Gurren Lagann are insanely self-indulgent and that's a huge part of why I like them.

Shounen is basically reader wish-fulfillment. It's targeted at young boys so it can't ever get too dark, or too complicated. It's serialized in a weekly publication so it has to play to an audience.

It's sort of like professional wrestling in a lot of ways, for better and for worse. That's what I mean by self-indulgent. It's basically a performance.

I love it. I want other people to love it. It's also in acknowledgment that it's appealing to some really basic parts of my brain, the parts that like things being punched really hard, underdog stories, and emotional drum fills paired with swelling violin.

I don't really want to get stuck in this whole discussion loop because really, if it's someone's favorite series ever - that's totally fine. There's better stuff out there for the ~discerning critic~, and also tons worse. I'm just trying to explain why it's not exactly ridiculous for it to lose out (or even fail to be considered) in mostly-pointless AOTY discussions.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I tend to appreciate a good shounen series in a way I'd appreciate Star Wars. Not for exactly what it says but how it does it. MHA is really polished and just a wonderful production to see.

I also don't necessarily agree with having to be profound and artful to be considered good or important.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

fool_of_sound posted:

I feel that the votes were thrown off by the kind of people who like Eromanga Sensei

I liked Eromanga-sensei, but I have a thing for elves.

And I really like Elf, even if I hate the rest.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Shere posted:

Shounen is basically reader wish-fulfillment. It's targeted at young boys so it can't ever get too dark, or too complicated. It's serialized in a weekly publication so it has to play to an audience.

Off the top of my head AssClass and HxH are both shounen that got dark and complicated though. AssClass less so after they pulled back from Nagisa's mom arc.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Shere posted:

It's sort of like professional wrestling in a lot of ways, for better and for worse. That's what I mean by self-indulgent. It's basically a performance.

I love it. I want other people to love it. It's also in acknowledgment that it's appealing to some really basic parts of my brain, the parts that like things being punched really hard, underdog stories, and emotional drum fills paired with swelling violin.

I don't really want to get stuck in this whole discussion loop because really, if it's someone's favorite series ever - that's totally fine. There's better stuff out there for the ~discerning critic~, and also tons worse. I'm just trying to explain why it's not exactly ridiculous for it to lose out (or even fail to be considered) in mostly-pointless AOTY discussions.

Ok, I see what you're getting at. I guess it depends on what you want from your art. I tend to judge anime more like music than literature, if that makes sense. My favorite albums are the ones that make me feel strong emotion or I just find 'cool', and that doesn't necessarily line up with the ones that have the most well-considered or original artistic message. 'Best' can mean a different things to different people.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Here's my hot take: Anime is bad, except when it's good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

shounen is barely targeted at young boys these days, plenty of it gets dark and complicated, and these days a lot more manga is written with the volumes in mind than the weekly serialization

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Shere posted:

I take it you've not read HXH?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

jojo's ran in WSJ

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Kild posted:

I take it you've not read HXH?

Even Dragonball got really complicated and fairly dark in its last two arcs, and it’s peak shonen.

Cell arc was complicated and the Buu arc being rather dark, even if it was all undone.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The only risks Made in Abyss is taking is tricking people into watching a series based on a manga that is clearly drawn by a mangaka who thinks little kids are hot and is indulging his fetishes as much as he feels he can possibly get away with.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Feb 27, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Fabricated posted:

a series based on a manga that is clearly drawns by a mangaka who thinks little kids are hot and is indulging his fetishes as much as he feels he can possibly get away with.
anime.txt

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

PMush Perfect posted:

Here's my hot take: Anime is bad, except when it's good.

Counterpoint: anime is good, except when it's bad.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
My take: that new Deathmarch anime is the new low point of all anime, because it combines boring Isekai with lots of pedophilia

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

fool_of_sound posted:

My take: that new Deathmarch anime is the new low point of all anime, because it combines boring Isekai with lots of pedophilia
Nah, that guy never fucks his underage harem girls because his fetish is literally older women. Death March's primary crime is being insanely boring.

The real lowpoint of Isekai anime will be Shield Hero whenever it gets animated.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Endorph posted:

shounen is barely targeted at young boys these days, plenty of it gets dark and complicated, and these days a lot more manga is written with the volumes in mind than the weekly serialization

I have some extraordinarily bad news about your logic here.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Fabricated posted:

Nah, that guy never fucks his underage harem girls because his fetish is literally older women. Death March's primary crime is being insanely boring.

The real lowpoint of Isekai anime will be Shield Hero whenever it gets animated.

It's coming soon! I saw PVs for it playing in a store not too long ago.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Fabricated posted:

What makes that the worst?

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Mraagvpeine posted:

What makes that the worst?

The main character of Shield Hero is falsely accused of rape/assault by a bitchy princess and exiled to the outlands, where he gets involved with several non-human races and ends up with a harem of cute furry girls. He's also a dark brooding edgelord type who gets shat upon constantly by the other heroes.

Some people see MRA overtones to the whole thing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, that's not so much subtext as just straight-up text. :stare:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

That's honestly only the peak of the iceberg with that subplot; from what I've read it goes incredibly hard on that angle.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Eh, while I can see the appeal to edgelords with anger issues having pretty much no fanservice scenes and zero romantic tension with the underage female companions puts it way far from the worst isekai story in my opinion.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Petiso posted:

Eh, while I can see the appeal to edgelords with anger issues having pretty much no fanservice scenes and zero romantic tension with the underage female companions puts it way far from the worst isekai story in my opinion.

Does that still count if the real reason the hero is chaste is because he hates and mistrust women so much that he cant even imagine risking romance or sex with one, even if it is someone who worships ground he walks on or is his literal, willing slave?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Mra-hero indulges in his harem far later in the story I think. He's also castigated by one of the other heroes for "refusing to eat the banquet laid before him" because he won't gently caress the drastically underaged raccoon girl slave he has (who while still a child "levels up" and develops the body of a busty teen) that falls in love with him and refuses to have her slave brand removed.

There's a sizeable portion of his story that's devoted to how hosed up he is mentally by the false rape allegations against him. His eventual revenge against the perpetrator is like one the most 4chan/internet MRA things imaginable outside of death or him actually being permitted to rape her for real (which he wouldn't do because she disgusts him on a visceral level).

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

What is going on in the MHA anime thread??

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
We're waiting on the good anime by talking about really bad anime

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Fair enough. That was a disturbing topic to wander into wondering if there was a new opening animation or something.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm probably going to make a fresh thread for S3 when the next season thread is made since this one's gone a bit off message.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm probably going to make a fresh thread for S3 when the next season thread is made since this one's gone a bit off message.

It'd be best since a new and updated opening post and fresh thread would be useful for newcomers.

E: I almost forgot Goblin Slayer is getting an anime too I guess. It's really awful but way less gross than Shield Hero or Re: monster or whatever

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 27, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

There's a lot of awful getting new seasons this coming April, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Apparently Umakoshi isn't the lead animation director for season 3. That kinda worries me but I imagine he's on the movie.

• Locked thread