Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

What has to happen for BJJ to make it into the summer olympics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Somebody needs to invent a ruleset that's any good as a spectator sport. :v:

(I'm optimistic for Saku's Quintet.)

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

What has to happen for BJJ to make it into the summer olympics?

Give like $100 million to the correct assortment of grifters on the IOC

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I forgot we were talking about the IOC for a moment there.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ImplicitAssembler posted:

(Note, I don't practice Judo, so could be completely wrong).
I don't think that's quite true. (That Judo had to change in order to stay). I think judo changed as it became more popular and people got better at developing tactics/techniques in order to avoid losing, something which ran counter to the original Japanese philosophy.

Taekwondo, which got hugely popular after the Seoul Olympics, certainly 'degraded' and became a 'martial sport'. I used to practice it many(!) years ago, but I can't watch it now. It's simply too crap, with it's weird electronic scoring and yet, you only have to barely touch the head before it counts.

The judo match a few post back is very good in a sense that it's the direction that many martial arts need to take and I absolutely applaud that referee.

No, it's true. When wrestling was on the olympic chopping block, an IOC official brought to the IJF side-by-side videos of Olympic Wrestling and Olympic Judo, with specific techniques chosen for illustration, and said "Explain to me how these are different sports."

The whole :byodood: "The IOC ruined Judo" and :byodood: "Don't let the IOC ruin BJJ" arguments overlook are a few things:

1) There was never any one "perfect" Judo ruleset. Since the early 1970s there have been something like 6 major overhauls just to how points are awarded and recorded. Things go in and out, like in any sport. Anyone who is picking a "good" Judo rule set is just choosing an arbitrary point in the past.

2) The rules are always a work in progress.

3) That there is no one BJJ ruleset. Watch an IBJJF match, an EBI match, and a no-time-limit match. The main reason that BJJ will never be part of the Olympics is that there is no majority or centralized version of BJJ.

Now, I posted about this in the grappling thread but not here. A few weeks ago I actually went to a rules seminar run by a few IJF-A referees. In the interest of not cluttering up the entire thread, I'll just link my post, but I actually think that the 2018 rules are a net positive, at least if we look at them as a whole rather than as individual rules. As a set, I think they seem to do everything to encourage aggression and favour the fighter who is trying to win the match with offensive judo:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3386441&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=336#post481395386

If anyone has questions for me on this, I'll answer em in either thread.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

CommonShore posted:

No, it's true. When wrestling was on the olympic chopping block, an IOC official brought to the IJF side-by-side videos of Olympic Wrestling and Olympic Judo, with specific techniques chosen for illustration, and said "Explain to me how these are different sports."

Ok, I'll stand corrected!.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Give like $100 million to the correct assortment of grifters on the IOC

I kind of feel like it could be great in the Olympics if the ruleset were nailed down.

Is it a threat at all to Judo if its added??

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Siivola posted:

Considering the IOC tried to throw freestyle wrestling out of the games in an effort to have fewer events, I don't think it's too far-fetched to say judo has had to differentiate itself from wrestling.

Late British olympian Syd Hoare wrote a brief but fairly in-depth article about the development of judo rules about ten years back (the lecture is from 2005 but some edits are dated 2009). Tl;dr: Going to the Olympics in the sixties introduced a bunch of admin rules like weight categories and smaller scores (yuko and koka), the rules have been in flux since then and furthermore, leg grabs should be banned. :v:

That was it leg grabs, apparently wrestlers were putting on the gi and just wrestle loving judo people so they had to ban single and double legs or something to make it less wrestling.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

It's a real shame that wrestling moves are so strong, and judo moves are so weak in comparison.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's a real shame that wrestling moves are so strong, and judo moves are so weak in comparison.

Are you at ny combat sambo or am i thinking of someone else?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Novum posted:

Are you at ny combat sambo or am i thinking of someone else?

That's me.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

We can’t fit three wrestling sports into the olympics, it’ll get in the way of our fourteen running events.

vvvvvvvv
I edited out my second paragraph and now it looks like you’re talking to ghosts. owned

02-6611-0142-1 fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 27, 2018

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Well, I'm not sure if Judo would be better off. The Olympics are a strong motivator for young athletes, and the entire referee/regulatory/coaching infrastructure (at least in Canada) is legitimized because of it. Losing that target without some kind of replacement would hurt the sport and recruitment quite a lot.

I don't think BJJ needs it.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

From the way Hoare complains about it, ("at least require an immediate attack") people weren't so much owning unsuspecting judo players with sick fireman's carries oitta nowhere, as just hanging onto each others' pants.

Or so I'd guess. Right now it looks like you'll get slapped with an immediate shido if you block the opponent's hips with a lapel grip.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Imagine how good judo would be if the only legal move was a frankensteiner.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

CommonShore posted:

Well, I'm not sure if Judo would be better off. The Olympics are a strong motivator for young athletes, and the entire referee/regulatory/coaching infrastructure (at least in Canada) is legitimized because of it. Losing that target without some kind of replacement would hurt the sport and recruitment quite a lot.

I don't think BJJ needs it.

I don't know. There's been a push in some factions to get kendo recognised by the OIC, but the majority doesn't want it exactly because of the watering down of judo/taekwondo.
Not that kendo is likely to ever get recognised as an Olympic sport. I think Olympic recognition for any martial is a double-edged sword.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

CommonShore posted:

3) That there is no one BJJ ruleset. Watch an IBJJF match, an EBI match, and a no-time-limit match. The main reason that BJJ will never be part of the Olympics is that there is no majority or centralized version of BJJ.

The IBJJF is far and away the largest organization with the most structure in BJJ. Applying that ruleset to the Olympics seems to make the most sense and would be met with the least resistance.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Not that kendo is likely to ever get recognised as an Olympic sport. I think Olympic recognition for any martial is a double-edged sword.

Ah, smart of the kendo orgs to protect their single edged ruleset.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Right on, a guy who just started here gave gave you guys props. Says he trained there and it was good times.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Novum posted:

Right on, a guy who just started here gave gave you guys props. Says he trained there and it was good times.

Cool!

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Hey Mecha, I've got a question on the subject of sambo takedowns. In Sport versus Combat Sambo, what are by far and away the most spammed/important techniques people use at a high level? Is there a general consensus or is it kind of a dumb question?

I seem to recall being told in Combat Sambo that it was basically almost always singles, doubles and some variation of a hip throw because everything else was harder to use because of strikes. Am I completely off base?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Is there anything in the Combat Sambo ruleset that would make takedowns that different than in MMA? I guess you can close to a clinch differently by grabbing the jacket?

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Siivola posted:

From the way Hoare complains about it, ("at least require an immediate attack") people weren't so much owning unsuspecting judo players with sick fireman's carries oitta nowhere, as just hanging onto each others' pants.

Or so I'd guess. Right now it looks like you'll get slapped with an immediate shido if you block the opponent's hips with a lapel grip.

I remember seeing more than a few matches from the 2008 olympics where one player would get up by a yuko or wazari and then just shoot lovely doubles from the outside to run the clock down

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Odddzy posted:

Hey Mecha, I've got a question on the subject of sambo takedowns. In Sport versus Combat Sambo, what are by far and away the most spammed/important techniques people use at a high level? Is there a general consensus or is it kind of a dumb question?

I seem to recall being told in Combat Sambo that it was basically almost always singles, doubles and some variation of a hip throw because everything else was harder to use because of strikes. Am I completely off base?

kimbo305 posted:

Is there anything in the Combat Sambo ruleset that would make takedowns that different than in MMA? I guess you can close to a clinch differently by grabbing the jacket?

Yeah, throwing casting punches into collar grip (into hip throw, front trip, etc.) is definitely a thing in combat sambo. As is throwing overhand punches while going for a single or ankle pick or whatever. Shots in general are strong because even if it gets stuffed, you can get a belt grip and continue from a good position. Stuff like drop shoulder throws are maaaaybe less common 'cause you can still get punched in the face if you wind up in turtle but you still see them.

In sport sambo, hm...high level sport sambo is probably more about foot sweeps than, say, judo, even if it's not the foot sweep itself that necessarily results in the takedown. The foot sweep in sambo is like a jab in boxing. There's also a lot of deep entry throws, like drop shoulder throws and fireman's carries, and sacrifice throws. But overall, it's a pretty wide variety. You could always just watch some high level sambo and take notes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyNIzMc3KWE

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 27, 2018

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Thanks for the pointers. As a supplemental question, Reilly and Steeve used to both teach ankle locks following a numeric value to indicate how advanced the position was. like one, two three (the saddle) and four (the knot). Is there a form a positional hierarchy in grips standing that follows the same idea? Like is Georgian grip considered a better grip in general? Where could I find resources for that kind of stuff?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Odddzy posted:

Thanks for the pointers. As a supplemental question, Reilly and Steeve used to both teach ankle locks following a numeric value to indicate how advanced the position was. like one, two three (the saddle) and four (the knot). Is there a form a positional hierarchy in grips standing that follows the same idea? Like is Georgian grip considered a better grip in general? Where could I find resources for that kind of stuff?

Sort of, but it's going to be about your personal game and what throws you like doing from which grips. So I might start with a collar grip and try to snap down so I can move to a Georgian grip because I like the leverage and like working from there, but it's not like a belt grip is inherently better than a collar grip.

Throws are a lot more dynamic than leglocks, like if you have the leg knot nobody's going anywhere. If I have a Georgian grip, but my opponent has a bodylock and is in the middle of suplexing me, my grip doesn't mean much.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 27, 2018

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Siivola posted:

Right now you'll get a shido for doing that if you're just using it to prevent the match from having any kind of offensive judo. No ref is going to give a shido for doing that once as a defensive manouvre if there's judo happening otherwise.

The leg contact rule has become a lot less draconian in the last two rules cycles. In 2015 leg contact was immediate DQ. Now it's just a regular penalty, and the definition has become a bit more forgiving.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

What are the ringout rules?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79JDNdrm-HM&t=72s
Does he take a penalty for tapping out of bounds? Why does he have to tap instead of having the ref break it?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

kimbo305 posted:

Does he take a penalty for tapping out of bounds? Why does he have to tap instead of having the ref break it?

If it's like Judo, boundary rules don't allow a fighter to escape a hold.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

The ring doesn't factor into scoring like in shuai jiao, the guy tapped because he was getting choked but they'd been reset because they were out of bounds. Red got cautioned for going out of bounds intentionally, but seems like it was worth it. 2 warnings and you get DQ'd. If you throw someone out of bounds the throw is still scored.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 27, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Siivola posted:

There's always cut & thrust and rapier! :ese:

Talk about coincidence. My Barony just posted that they finally got a C&T marshal authorized, and they're going to start holding practices. I've wanted to try to work out practical broadsword/backsword from Silver's "Paradoxes of Defence" for a while now...

My knees are going to hate me, but even with the mask this is looking a lot cheaper than getting back into heavy.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Feb 27, 2018

His Purple Majesty
Dec 12, 2008
What kind of strength and conditioning routines do you guys use to supplement your punchsport/pajama wrestling?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

His Purple Majesty posted:

What kind of strength and conditioning routines do you guys use to supplement your punchsport/pajama wrestling?

I play a lot of video games

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Liquid Communism posted:

Talk about coincidence. My Barony just posted that they finally got a C&T marshal authorized, and they're going to start holding practices. I've wanted to try to work out practical broadsword/backsword from Silver's "Paradoxes of Defence" for a while now...

My knees are going to hate me

You're in luck, Silver's far too lazy to lunge. :v: Check out Cyril Matthey's collected volume that combines Silver's Paradoxes with his Brief Instructions thereof. There's an electronic version available, but I'm 99% sure someone's printed it as well.

You can also look into stuff authors like Godinho, Luiz, Thibault and Manciolino. They should be easier on the knees than going full rapier.

Liquid Communism posted:

but even with the mask this is looking a lot cheaper than getting back into heavy.
Yeaaaah um you might reconsider when you start looking into better swords. :retrogames:

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

His Purple Majesty posted:

I can up Mechafunkzilla’s regimen because I both drink a lot and also play video games.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Thirding.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Furiously masturbating helps my grip strength

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Serious anecdotal answer: I cross train with periods of running or strength training. Strength training feels good and maybe helps with injury prevention but for me personally running is way more beneficial for standing/sitting pajama wrestling.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Siivola posted:

You're in luck, Silver's far too lazy to lunge. :v: Check out Cyril Matthey's collected volume that combines Silver's Paradoxes with his Brief Instructions thereof. There's an electronic version available, but I'm 99% sure someone's printed it as well.

You can also look into stuff authors like Godinho, Luiz, Thibault and Manciolino. They should be easier on the knees than going full rapier.

Yeaaaah um you might reconsider when you start looking into better swords. :retrogames:

Yeah, 'cheap' isn't on the list, but still better than the level of armoring I'd want to play heavy these days. Armor for guys my size is distinctly Not Cheap.

I've been reading a translation of Paradoxes and Brief Instructions my local HEMA group linked lately, from here and eyeing the Cateran Society's stuff for some practical suggestions. They start their broadsword curriculum on Regimental Broadsword, which is a bit later than SCA period, but they espouse as a practical and well documented system. I don't know enough about it to make a critical judgement, though, since I'm starting from scratch where actual historical styles go.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll admit, part of what I like about Silver's theory is his emphasis on defense and cuts over lunges, both because knees and because suicide lunges for points used to bug me in foil. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

May I get a jiu-jitsu gi recommendation please?