Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My phone bricked itself while I was on an airplane a week or so back. It just turned off at 70ish% battery and when I tried to turn it on it got stuck in a bootloop. I tried resetting to stock in recovery, but that brought it into a hardbrick where nothing would show on the screen at all. I bought a brand new battery and this is where I'm at:

It's a Verizon VS990 with H/W Rev 1.0.

I've never rooted it.

I tried following this guide to fix it, but QFIL doesn't see the phone.

After some googling, it looks like the QDLoader should say Qualcomm, not Quectel. Do I have some lovely knockoff or something?

Any ideas on where to start? I've tried several version of the Qualcomm drivers, tried with and without the battery in. Googling "Quectel QDLoader 9008" doesn't give many results compared to "Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008." Are these the same thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
so like is the s9+ probably going to be the best for viewing comics and videos on a phone this year? 6.2 seems about as big as it gets before you just have a tablet.

On the other hand, since I would be coming from an original moto g, is it possible the g6+ will be sufficient for my purposes?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Guillermus posted:

Spanish android website (andro4all.com), they're from Barcelona and they are usually spot on when it comes to pricing at least in Spain. Nokia still has a lot of following in here and their PR gives out a lot of details. Last year they nailed pricing for the 3, 5 and 6.

All of this can change of course but considering the actual market, 279 for the 4gb version seems about right.

I hope you're right, the prices you're talking about obviously sound a lot more competitive than the ones I was seeing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If the subsidized Amazon stuff somehow interferes with whatever "Android One" is on the Nokia 6 then I would skip it and just pay full price.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

thechosenone posted:

so like is the s9+ probably going to be the best for viewing comics and videos on a phone this year? 6.2 seems about as big as it gets before you just have a tablet.

On the other hand, since I would be coming from an original moto g, is it possible the g6+ will be sufficient for my purposes?

Finally. The perfect device to hold and watch all my animes while I text my waifu!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

For anyone else with this issue - I had some weird driver that was misreporting the hardware. Uninstalling the driver from device manager fixed it.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

vyst posted:

Finally. The perfect device to hold and watch all my animes while I text my waifu!

So is that a yes? I now realize it would probably be more appropriate to ask in the stickyed thread which is expressly for recommending phones, so I will ask there.

But yes that is kinda what I was getting at (minus the waifu part).

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 26, 2018

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

thechosenone posted:

This year? That'll probably be the Note 9, but coming from an OG Moto G the S9+ will probably blow your mind.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The first (to my knowledge) Android Go phone for the US market has been announced. The $80 ZTE Tempo Go.

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/02/26/zte-tempo-go/

quote:

For specs, the Tempo GO offers a 5″ FWVGA display (480×854), Qualcomm-made Snapdragon 210 quad-core processor, 1GB RAM, 8GB storage, 5-megapixel rear-facing camera, 2-megapixel front-facing camera, and a 2200mAh battery.

Low spec to be sure, but it's crazy that smartphones are approaching burner phone territory and Android Go means it will actually be updated.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

bull3964 posted:

The first (to my knowledge) Android Go phone for the US market has been announced. The $80 ZTE Tempo Go.

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/02/26/zte-tempo-go/

Low spec to be sure, but it's crazy that smartphones are approaching burner phone territory and Android Go means it will actually be updated.

That sounds like a pile of poo poo compared to the Moto E4 you can get for $20 more.

Edit: The E4 is actually $40 more now, so I guess this ZTE has a place!

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 26, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Keep in mind that the E4 has likely seen its last update (security or otherwise) and isn't running a low resource build of Android.

All things being equal, the E4 is a better phone that can do more. But these Android Go phones are a nice simple option for messaging, email, and a little internet browsing and they should stay up to date longer.

I do think we're just seeing the beginning though. Target price for a Go device is supposed to be sub $50.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
It's annoying that the only deals I see anymore for phones are for the monthly payment plan. A discount on the retail price never seems to happen anymore.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

vyst posted:

It's current year, we stream anime from our personal plex servers :colbert:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

KillHour posted:

My phone bricked itself while I was on an airplane a week or so back. It just turned off at 70ish% battery and when I tried to turn it on it got stuck in a bootloop. I tried resetting to stock in recovery, but that brought it into a hardbrick where nothing would show on the screen at all. I bought a brand new battery and this is where I'm at:

It's a Verizon VS990 with H/W Rev 1.0.

I've never rooted it.

I tried following this guide to fix it, but QFIL doesn't see the phone.

After some googling, it looks like the QDLoader should say Qualcomm, not Quectel. Do I have some lovely knockoff or something?

Any ideas on where to start? I've tried several version of the Qualcomm drivers, tried with and without the battery in. Googling "Quectel QDLoader 9008" doesn't give many results compared to "Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008." Are these the same thing?

I can find a single website on the entire internet that references Quectel and LG V10 on the same page. Where did you buy the phone?

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Incessant Excess posted:

The A1 is an Android One device.

Yes, but in no surprise to anyone Xiaomi aren't being great at providing updates for it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Why hasn't moto announced the g6/+/play yet arugh

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

Why hasn't moto announced the g6/+/play yet arugh

I don't know if they've announced tip there's definitely stories about Moto G6 already and I think that they did announce it but I'm not a hundred percent on it

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:toot: Finally got the January security update pushed to my Moto G5+. Maybe someday it'll get Oreo. :lol:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Best android smart watch? My dad wants a smart watch for his birthday. I jokingly said he’d have to get an iPhone and an Apple Watch and he said Apple was for “liberal fairies” (his words not mine) so sock it to me!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Best android smart watch? My dad wants a smart watch for his birthday. I jokingly said he’d have to get an iPhone and an Apple Watch and he said Apple was for “liberal fairies” (his words not mine) so sock it to me!

Probably the Misfit Vapor.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Fossil gen 3

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

I really want to get out of iOS, currently using an iphone SE which is... fine but I want a better display in addition to wanting to be on android.

Is there anything I should be looking at besides the S9? They're doing an offer where you can trade in any functioning phone for $150 off + the value of the phone. I was going to send in an old piece of poo poo iphone 5 for this that's sitting in my drawer.

The 1080p display on the Pixel 2 is not enough for me and I heard the XL has lots of problems with the display. I don't know much about other android phones.

e: I'm out of contract, Canadian, and have a plan that I like very much but they won't renew so I'm only looking to buy an unlocked phone.

what's wrong with 1080p? Are you inspecting your pixels with a microscope or something?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

what's wrong with 1080p? Are you inspecting your pixels with a microscope or something?

Bigger numbers = better than

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Yeah, if the concern is photography, I feel like color reproduction should be the bigger deciding factor (both Samsung and Google have great displays re: color reproduction).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah the blacks on the Samsung amoled make me hard. And yes the resolution is important in addition to the already fantastic display properties.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Yeah the blacks on the Samsung amoled make me hard. And yes the resolution is important in addition to the already fantastic display properties.

If you can see the difference between 1080p and 1440p on a 5 inch screen you have some previously unheard of super-human vision and should volunteer to be studied.

That, or you should stop balancing your phone on your nose while you look at photos on it.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Theris posted:

If you can see the difference between 1080p and 1440p on a 5 inch screen you have some previously unheard of super-human vision and should volunteer to be studied.

That, or you should stop balancing your phone on your nose while you look at photos on it.

The human eye doesn't see in pixels.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

But we do see them! Pixels, not Pixel phones.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The point is that the eye doesn't have a maximum resolution. The average eye can pick up different patterns with different sensitivity, and most certainly can notice the difference in sharpness and clarity of 1080p, 1440p, and even 4k resolutions at standard phone distances. The individual pixels might not be separable and there are diminishing returns, but the difference is noticeable.

If you can't tell the difference, and I truly mean this in the best way possible, you probably have some sort of eye condition or reduced vision. If you aren't aware of an issue, you may want to ask your optometrist about your eyes next visit.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus christ

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This is so stupid. What you're talking about isn't even resolution, it's ppi, which is like 450 vs 540 for the Pixel 2 non XL vs XL. You cannot tell the difference between that in normal use, and it doesn't mean you have a loving medical problem.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
My 100" projector screen is 1080p and looks great. Your comparatively tiny phone screen will be fine, plus it will perform faster since it's not pushing some crazy high 4k resolution for no reason! Which possibly even means better battery life. But even if those two latter things aren't true, it's still a small screen with the same resolution used on bigass TVs.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CLAM DOWN posted:

This is so stupid. What you're talking about isn't even resolution, it's ppi, which is like 450 vs 540 for the Pixel 2 non XL vs XL. You cannot tell the difference between that in normal use, and it doesn't mean you have a loving medical problem.

The eye can only see 60fps, too.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

PerrineClostermann posted:

The eye can only see 60fps, too.

Maybe you should upgrade to 144hz or 240hz eyes, friend.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Does Location Sharing cause your location to be checked/updated more recently, or does it just allow your friends to see the location information which your phone is already automatically sharing with Google?

Asking because I'm wondering about battery life. If it's the latter, one would think it wouldn't impact it at all.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
I think it's the latter because I'm sharing locations frequently with my girlfriend and parents before meeting up and they are often surprised when I'm already arriving despite being like a mile or two away on their phone.

The "share trip" option is way better for this but it eats your battery because you have to be in navigation mode for it to work and you can also just share with one person.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

https://www.cnet.com/news/nokia-phones-ceo-president-florian-seiche-interview-mwc-2018/

According to the HMD CEO, none of the Nokia phones are coming to the US.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Rexxed posted:

Maybe you should upgrade to 144hz or 240hz eyes, friend.

Dang, I didn't think modular eyes would be worth it, so I didn't spend the money for the option.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

My eyes have tearing issues with 60 fps, I start crying whenever I see frame rate discussions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

chippy posted:

Does Location Sharing cause your location to be checked/updated more recently, or does it just allow your friends to see the location information which your phone is already automatically sharing with Google?

Asking because I'm wondering about battery life. If it's the latter, one would think it wouldn't impact it at all.

It's the latter unless they start checking, then it's the former. It doesn't impact battery life at all in normal use, as you would expect but if someone you're sharing with checks where you are, it gets better information and updates that. If they're continuing to check by leaving Maps open, they get more frequent updates on your location.