Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

New Jersey has a couple different legalization bills being kicked around; I'm only following it tangentially and it feels less like they're slow-rolling it and more that they're gamely pitching a bunch of ideas and seeing what sticks: http://www.nj.com/marijuana/2018/02/thoughts_on_legal_weed_nj_assembly_wants_to_hear_t.html

The NJ Assembly is having a meeting on 5 March to listen to thoughts from the public, so if you're in NJ this may be a good one to attend. And if you're in NJ and want to make sure this goes through, this might be a good time to link up with your local chapter of NORML to see if there are any events planned where you can pitch in to push this across the finish line.

Some people in NJ are starting to worry Murphy is backpedaling on his support, feeling like he's pushing medical more and talking about recreational less

He through an "if" in during this ask the governor show the other day.

http://newjersey.news12.com/clip/14125928/full-show-ask-gov-murphy-feb-13-2018
(around 16 minutes in)

referring to recreational marijuana

"...and if we were to pursue this, by the way, if we do, when we do, it has to be done right."

and according to the subtitles I ripped from the stream:

quote:

ON THE RECREATIONAL SIDE, THE BIG ISSUE FOR ME IS SOCIAL JUSTICE.
WE HAVE THE WIDEST WHITE/NONWHITE GAP OF PERSONS INCARCERATED IN AMERICA.
IT'S NOT THE BIGGEST REASON BUT A BIG REASON FOR LOW END DRUG CRIMES.
BY THE WAY, IF WE DO PURSUE THIS, IT HAS TO BE DONE RIGHT.
NOTWITHSTANDING YOUR COMMENT ABOUT PUBLIC SUPPORT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
A question about "diversion".

Okay, so you have states like Oregon that are allegedly producing three times what the state market buys, if you combine legal and illegal grows. Just anecdotally, it seems from the news and forums that at least in some percentage of cases, people are buying *legal* weed in official packaging and sending/carrying it to other states.

So why are people not just mostly/entirely buying from Oregon's illegal output (same for other states) and exporting that, so they can get a lower wholesale price without taxes and fees, etc and not have to deal with daily purchase limits? Is packaged legal product so much more prestigious than "it's in an unmarked plastic vacuum-sealed bag, but it's from Oregon" weed that it's still more profitable to buy legal weed and sell it at a markup?

Or (just to spitball here) is it the case that a large number of people illegally shipping/carrying weed out of state are very casual "smugglers" and basically the kind of people who don't even know people who own a grow and would sell them a 10lb sack of weed, so it's just easier to walk into a series of stores and buy your limit and drive back to Texas as opposed to establish underworld connections?

Related question: are legal weed folks broadly in support of cracking down on the black market? Like if someone owns a legal weed store in Portland, do they not resent folks who are growing product on free National Forest land in the interior, paying no taxes, and passing it off to dealers in Portland that pay no taxes on weed or wages? If somehow Congress succeeds in passing a "leave legal weed alone" bill, and Sessions' DOJ goes after the illegal grows throughout Oregon, would pro-weed people be generally positive about that because it would drive yet more of the market into the legal, taxed economy?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Related question: are legal weed folks broadly in support of cracking down on the black market? Like if someone owns a legal weed store in Portland, do they not resent folks who are growing product on free National Forest land in the interior, paying no taxes, and passing it off to dealers in Portland that pay no taxes on weed or wages? If somehow Congress succeeds in passing a "leave legal weed alone" bill, and Sessions' DOJ goes after the illegal grows throughout Oregon, would pro-weed people be generally positive about that because it would drive yet more of the market into the legal, taxed economy?

I just watched an entire show about legal growers in CA and the impression I got was yes, yes they're very pissed at the illegal growers.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

WampaLord posted:

I just watched an entire show about legal growers in CA and the impression I got was yes, yes they're very pissed at the illegal growers.

I would be interested in watching this

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Okay, so you have states like Oregon that are allegedly producing three times what the state market buys, if you combine legal and illegal grows. Just anecdotally, it seems from the news and forums that at least in some percentage of cases, people are buying *legal* weed in official packaging and sending/carrying it to other states.

So why are people not just mostly/entirely buying from Oregon's illegal output (same for other states) and exporting that, so they can get a lower wholesale price without taxes and fees, etc and not have to deal with daily purchase limits? Is packaged legal product so much more prestigious than "it's in an unmarked plastic vacuum-sealed bag, but it's from Oregon" weed that it's still more profitable to buy legal weed and sell it at a markup?

Or (just to spitball here) is it the case that a large number of people illegally shipping/carrying weed out of state are very casual "smugglers" and basically the kind of people who don't even know people who own a grow and would sell them a 10lb sack of weed, so it's just easier to walk into a series of stores and buy your limit and drive back to Texas as opposed to establish underworld connections?

I think one factor is it’s really cheap here. Even with the retail overhead and taxes. So the price may honestly be low enough that the legal packaging might add a premium that outports the vacuum sealed bag. I guess I’m not knowledgeable enough about the black market to know. Here’s an article about prices at retail falling under $2/gram if you hunt deals. http://registerguard.com/rg/news/lo...plodes.html.csp

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 18, 2018

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Speaking from a California perspective, legal weed is regulated, which makes it generally safer and higher quality. If the weed you’re getting is from a vacuum-sealed package with a dispensary label and/or manufacturer’s label, then you can be reasonably assured that it was a) produced by someone who is trying to follow laws (and not a violent criminal who would use your money to do bad stuff), b) probably rat poison and/or other illegal pesticides was not involved in growing it, and c) the labels match the contents.

It’s comparable to “would you rather drink a Budweiser that fell off the back of a truck, or some homebrew a stranger made that is 10% cheaper but just as alcoholic and totally good, I swear?”

And that’s just for people who wanna get high. For people with a legitimate medical need, like a family member with cancer or epilepsy, where you’re already buying smuggled drugs (or smuggling them yourself on a small personal level), I don’t see why you wouldn’t minimize the risk by paying a premium to make SURE you get something that will help, if you can afford it.

Also, I like legal weed just fine but I HATE those kinds of illegal grow ops (in public parks, using illegal pesticides, setting traps that will kill people to protect their crop, stealing water and messing up streams, etc) and get the impression that a lot of people do because of the violence, danger, and ecological damage involved. I’m iffier on illegal grow ops that don’t burn down houses or poison water or kill endangered animals that eat poisoned rodents, but those ones? Get rid of them all and use as much force as necessary. I won’t shed a single tear.

I guess if a legal grow op was using illegal pesticides or stealing electricity in a fire-hazard way, I’d want the authorities to roll in and shut that practice down too.

Edit: here’s some articles (the atlantic article is the good long-form one, the others are just random whatever)

https://www.courthousenews.com/california-pot-farms-exposing-endangered-owls-to-rat-poison/

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/03/backcountry-drug-war/521352/

http://abc7.com/marijuana-grow-operation-sparks-fire-power-outage-in-placentia/2538074/

Colin Mockery fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 18, 2018

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

nerve posted:

I would be interested in watching this

It was a special episode of the CNBC show The Profit, focusing on the "Emerald Triangle" aka Humboldt County

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
What the hell is going on in NJ are they really going to gently caress this up?

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

MaxxBot posted:

What the hell is going on in NJ are they really going to gently caress this up?

lol probably.

http://www.nj.com/marijuana/2018/02/top_senate_democrats_may_need_to_twist_some_arms_t.html

ugh.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I found this article fairly depressing.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/meet-crusaders-clean-pot-w517264

quote:

pretty much all of the marijuana in the United States is drenched in harmful chemicals. There's no good way to quantify the problem, because the majority of weed is still sold by drug dealers, and no one has done studies on what smoking or vaping these substances can do to you. But let's just say that if you like pot, you have absolutely exposed yourself to chemicals that can damage your central nervous system, mess with your hormones and give you cancer. There are toxicants in our vape pens, in our fancy prepackaged edibles and in the soil and water near many marijuana farms.

For legal crops, an agrochemical company will create a product to combat a bug or fungus, pay for research and then submit the results to the Environmental Protection Agency for review. But because the federal government is pretending the whole state-legal weed thing isn't happening, the EPA won't put money toward the approval of insecticides or fungicides for marijuana. Legalization has allowed pot to be grown at a larger scale than ever before, requiring far more pesticides, but without EPA guidance, state governments are stuck making educated guesses about what to ban.

NBC Los Angeles found that more than 90 percent of pot products randomly purchased from 15 local dispensaries tested positive for pesticides known to cause health problems. In October 2016, the Berkeley-based Steep Hill Labs found that more than 83 percent of the products they were given over a 30-day period would have failed under Oregon's new regulations.

This makes it sound like stuff from the CA-diversion market is less likely to be clean than the stuff my neighbors grew in college.

One more reason to just grow my own once it's legal here this summer.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So they're putting a light on something that's been going on for decades, it's just more important now because they are trying to legalize it, and of course it makes sense because it needs to be regulated, tested, and scrutinized on a regular basis but that's never going to happen until the feds gently caress off.

But come on this isn't a revelation, if you think all that illegal weed from Mexico or wherever else you've smoked wasn't full of pesticides you're kidding yourself.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Oregon tests all of the legal operations AFAIK.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

But come on this isn't a revelation, if you think all that illegal weed from Mexico or wherever else you've smoked wasn't full of pesticides you're kidding yourself.

what I've noticed in the only markets that I have much insight into (making this highly anecdotal) is local production being offset by boxes of CA overgrow. Mexibrick and beasters have always been sprayed with poo poo and/or processed through dryers set up to shake off kief, but I used to know a bunch of people growing extremely high quality stuff locally who could tell you all about what nutrients they were using and how they flushed it. Of course this still happens, but they're competing with huge price undercuts from CA excess.

I mostly have an academic interest at this point, because I don't smoke much compared to years past and in a matter of months I will be setup to legally self-produce.

The contamination issue is not the only thing I found depressing about that article, by a long shot.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I think all that flushing business is a bit nuts anyhow. Do these people "flush" their tomatoes and peppers too?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tim Raines IRL posted:

what I've noticed in the only markets that I have much insight into (making this highly anecdotal) is local production being offset by boxes of CA overgrow. Mexibrick and beasters have always been sprayed with poo poo and/or processed through dryers set up to shake off kief, but I used to know a bunch of people growing extremely high quality stuff locally who could tell you all about what nutrients they were using and how they flushed it. Of course this still happens, but they're competing with huge price undercuts from CA excess.

I mostly have an academic interest at this point, because I don't smoke much compared to years past and in a matter of months I will be setup to legally self-produce.

The contamination issue is not the only thing I found depressing about that article, by a long shot.

Just for the record, I didn't mean "you" personally, but more "you" as the general pot smoking population.

But yeah the whole thing is depressing because it shows how far they have to go yet. It seems close but it's really not, and it makes me as a medical marijuana user wonder what kind regulations they have for the MM that I have been consuming. This whole thing really makes an argument for letting people grow their own weed because it's the only way to really be sure what's going into your body.

For me personally that article made me think much more seriously about cultivating my own marijuana and possibly taking any risks associated with it. I have a FL state card, why the hell can't i grow my own weed?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I have a FL state card, why the hell can't i grow my own weed?

Might I ask how you managed to get one?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

WampaLord posted:

I have one. They're super easy to get if you have any issues that are covered. Basically pay the MMJ doc $300 for a visit and a fee every 6 months after that for followup, $75 to dept of health, and boom you have a card.

Whole flower is still not legal in florida but will be once lawsuits are sorted out.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Mozi posted:

I think all that flushing business is a bit nuts anyhow. Do these people "flush" their tomatoes and peppers too?

I don't know about tomatoes and peppers, but if you don't flush your weed you're liable to get a harsh smoke, and it might even do weird things like spark while you're hitting your bowl.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Mozi posted:

Yes. Flushing prompts the plant to expel excess nitrogen which causes the fruit you get to taste like rear end if not done. This is true for pretty much anything that flowers. This is only really an issue with hydroponic grown plants. though, as soil tends to limit how much nitrogen the plant can absorb.

-e- I'm actually on the 2nd and final flush week for my plant. Next tuesday will be harvest time.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
This is probably not the thread for it, but doesn't that imply there was too much nitrogen in the first place?

To circle back a bit on pesticides - in retrospect, it's pretty disturbing what might have been on all that bud. Even recently I've read that commonly used 'bud hardeners' were chemicals meant for use on ornamental plants and carcinogenic when ingested (citation needed.) And just given the general illegality and anonymity, I'm sure many growers chose to use strong pesticides too near the end of flower rather than lose the crop altogether. I'm definitely in favor of both rigorous testing and growing it yourself (when possible.)

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Mozi posted:

This is probably not the thread for it, but doesn't that imply there was too much nitrogen in the first place?

Not really. The plant builds up nitrogen over the course of its life as nitrogen is one of the primary components of chlorophyll. You do cut back heavily on nitrogen when you want a plant to stop vegging and instead start blooming. You still need nitrogen even during flower as the plant can't produce carbs without it and would starve. When you flush, you're effectively starving your plant so that it pours its remaining resources into its fruit. Any excess is released out through the roots.

For weed, this makes it so your bud doesn't burst into flames the second any heat gets by it. For tomatoes and the like, the plant will temporarily suffer as the flush goes on, but once you harvest you can then feed it more nitrogen again to recover as tomatoes are perennials that live for 5+ years or so if you don't let them get cold.

Stretch Marx fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 8, 2018

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

WampaLord posted:

I have Crohn's disease, and did everything Mr.Nice said although I haven't had to pay a fee after 6 months. That being said, my MM doctor was kind of clueless about the whole process so he probably doesn't even know he could do that lol.

I do have to remember to put in a renewal in time for the state card however, it's only good for a year and if I forget that I'm hosed.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

For me personally that article made me think much more seriously about cultivating my own marijuana and possibly taking any risks associated with it. I have a FL state card, why the hell can't i grow my own weed?

Absolutely agree, that's dumb! My state's "legalization" means I can't buy pot at a store or at all, but I can grow it. We need to get our poo poo figured out, but if the choice was "be able to buy weed but not grow it" or "be able to grow weed but not buy it" I would definitely choose the latter in all universes I can imagine.

Our family consumption is less than 4oz a year; I am looking forward to growing as much as I legally can with a 400w setup and then legit giving the rest away...

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Our family consumption is less than 4oz a year; I am looking forward to growing as much as I legally can with a 400w setup and then legit giving the rest away...

NORML is telling me the possession limit outside the home is 2.5oz, so that's about 125 smallish joints worth, yes?

So in theory you could just bicycle to a backyard party at a friend's house, chuck 2.5 oz on the table along with an industrial-sized pack of rolling papers, and then if that starts running low just bike back home, grab another 2.5oz and chuck it on the table? Oh wait, you could just have a couple friends come by your house on their way to the party, give them 2.5oz to take to the party, and then you'd have about a half-pound of weed sitting on the table. That'd work pretty well.

But it'd be far funnier if you just showed up at the parties of people you didn't even know, like some kind of Fairy Weedmother, to shower cannabis on the (21+) people of the village.

In other news, drat but NJ is slow-rolling weed. There are *15* competing cannabis bills floating around the Assembly, which is a good indicator that nobody knows what the gently caress they're doing and everyone's afraid to make the "wrong" decision. This is just getting dumber and dumber every year, with people hand-wringing about "oh but *how* should we legalize?"

There are 9 loving legal states, just pick the one you like and do a "Find-Replace" in MS Word to insert "New Jersey". This poo poo is checkers, not chess at this point.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/new_jersey/marijuana-legalize-pot-new-jersey-legislature-20180309.html

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Huh, apparently this coming week the Senate may vote on a measure to allow cannabis companies to use banks. This would be a Pretty Dam Big Deal, no?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomangell/2018/03/08/senate-could-vote-to-let-marijuana-businesses-use-banks-this-week/

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yes. Right now places are limited to exclusively local banks and can only take debit cards in florida because they run them as an ATM transaction. Allowing proper banking eliminates the biggest criminal problem (massive amounts of cash that requires armed security) and turns dispensaries into places more like liquor stores or pharmacies.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Mr. Nice! posted:

more like liquor stores or pharmacies.

... both famous for never-ever getting robbed. But I get your point.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

... both famous for never-ever getting robbed. But I get your point.

His point was that even if they are robbed, the majority of the cash is in a bank instead of being in the store.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Stretch Marx posted:

His point was that even if they are robbed, the majority of the cash is in a bank instead of being in the store.

I get that, I just found the specific examples amusing since they get robbed a lot.

Undoubtedly having proper banking services will make robbery of dispensaries less profitable.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yes. Right now places are limited to exclusively local banks and can only take debit cards in florida because they run them as an ATM transaction. Allowing proper banking eliminates the biggest criminal problem (massive amounts of cash that requires armed security) and turns dispensaries into places more like liquor stores or pharmacies.

The dispensary I use (Truelieve) only takes cash but they have an ATM in the lobby.

As far as getting robbed, even if they start using banks I highly doubt they will get rid of the armed guards. They might not have tons of cash anymore, but they're still gonna have tons of weed.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
From the official DEA twitter account:

https://twitter.com/DEAHQ/status/971838996610519040?s=20

They really are living in a parallel universe.

trapeeze
Mar 12, 2018

by Smythe
Weed relaxes the mind and can help to boost esteem through a more confident vocal expression.

It's side-effects are minimal; most schizophrenia cases are because of genetics or a disconnection from reality, that can be influenced by weed but is often because of something sober.

As long as you aren't picking up knives or plotting to rob banks whilst stoned I don't see how it effects mental health with it's standard, relaxant effect.

Also, mental problems are often fictitious creations from a book of inaccuracies that relate to most people's lives regardless of the state of their mental health; just don't pick up a knife okay, because then there's reason to say being stoned is giving you mental problems.
i.e. in relation to the hallucinations you had on weed is an incident where you picked up a knife; however, if your hallucinations do not involve incidents like these, you're hallucinating in good mental health and there's no reason, unless you deem it, to see a psychologist.

(There are confusions in mental health healing process).

trapeeze fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Mar 13, 2018

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

trapeeze posted:

Weed relaxes the mind and can help to boost esteem through a more confident vocal expression.

It's side-effects are minimal; most schizophrenia cases are because of genetics or a disconnection from reality, that can be influenced by weed but is often because of something sober.

As long as you aren't picking up knives or plotting to rob banks whilst stoned I don't see how it effects mental health with it's standard, relaxant effect.

Also, mental problems are often fictitious creations from a book of inaccuracies that relate to most people's lives regardless of the state of their mental health; just don't pick up a knife okay, because then there's reason to say being stoned is giving you mental problems.
i.e. in relation to the hallucinations you had on weed is an incident where you picked up a knife; however, if your hallucinations do not involve incidents like these, you're hallucinating in good mental health and there's no reason, unless you deem it, to see a psychologist.

:stare:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

trapeeze posted:

I'll have to take your word for it.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

I'm going to guess someone had a TCC thread and this thread open in different windows, and posted in the wrong thread.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

trapeeze posted:

thank you for your insightful comments, newly registered user trapeeze

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

DiamondCBD appears to be a sketchy Florida-based company which is selling potentially lethal synthetic cannabinnoids as "CBD"

I am real tempted to forward the GC/MS results to their local police department, but, not sure anyone is likely to understand/care, given that it is, afterall, florida.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Tim Raines IRL posted:

DiamondCBD appears to be a sketchy Florida-based company which is selling potentially lethal synthetic cannabinnoids as "CBD"

I am real tempted to forward the GC/MS results to their local police department, but, not sure anyone is likely to understand/care, given that it is, afterall, florida.

The problem is some nefarious person could sell products under someone elses brand. That's why it's a good idea to buy directly from a vendor's website and not at a convenience store.

AdmiralNeltharion
Feb 23, 2018
How about creating a centralized weed producing and distributing company instead of growing independently? All verified and regulated by the government?
BAM, problem solved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah there needs to be a verification/regulation process, because there a tons of vendors marketing and selling Hemp oil as CBD and it's bullshit. And now this synthetic crap. All we can really do now as MM users is try to spread the word and educate people.